Georgia Semifinal Matchups

ECHS05

Was at Tucker-Mays but phone locked up.

Game was a doozy with Tucker dominating the first half by smacking the Mays QB around often.  Tucker's QB had a brain-fart and held the ball deep in his endzone when a Mays LB drilled him untouched, sacking him forcing a fumble and giving Mays their first score late in the 1st half; but Tucker immediately responded with a long drive running off 10+ yards per run going into half time 21-7.

Mays did what they have done all season and came out with their no-huddle in the 2nd half and dominated the rest of the game.

The difference was they (like everyone before them) could not stop the power run.  Tucker started gashing them straight up the middle, but Mays is a good 2nd half team.  Tucker's pass defense stepped up big in this game, shutting down the Mays passing game that had worked against everyone so far.

I can't wait for next week.......................for those who have never seen a Tucker vs. Northside Warner-Robbins game, come see a Classic!  These two have met 3X and each time the winner have gone on to win State every time.  The fan bases get along very well and from my recollection have the best tail-gates together.   I hope GPB stays away just because the TV timeouts kill games; but for those who haven't seen these two go at it, check it out!

Tuck is in a great position to be very competitive next season also as they are only graduating 2 offensive linemen and 2 RBs.  The leading rusher (Jr.) and 3rd leading rusher (Soph) are both returning and so are 8 defensive starters.

• Like 3

Semifinal Matchups:

7A

(13-0)Mill Creek @ (12-1)Grayson

(10-3)Westlake vs (13-0)Roswell

6A

(11-2)Northside-WR @ (12-1)Tucker

(12-1)Valdosta @ (13-0)Dalton

5A

(13-0)Stockbridge vs (11-2)Rome -- Coin toss for home field Sat. morning

(11-2)Kell @ (12-1)Buford

4A

(11-2)Mary Persons @ (13-0)Cartersville

(13-0)Thomson @ (12-1)Jefferson 

3A

(12-1)Greater Atl. Christian @ (12-1)Peach Co.

(11-2)Cedar Grove @ (13-0)Crisp Co.

2A

(13-0)Callaway @ (13-0)Benedictine

(10-3)Hapeville Charter @ (12-1)Fitzgerald

1A Public

(12-0)Emanuel Co. Institute @ (10-2)Macon Co.

(10-2)McIntosh Co. Academy @ (11-1)Clinch Co.

1A Private

(12-0)Tattnall Square Academy @ (12-0)Eagle's Landing Christian Academy

(12-0)Fellowship Christian @ (12-0)Prince Avenue Christian

10 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Crisp vs. GAC in the 3A final? 

Looking kinda that way.

Might be a really good championship match up there. 

Weve known all year whos end up playing in the 2A title , Fitzgerald vs Benedictine. Ill be interested in that one.

GAC vs Crisp does look like a good matchup but you cant count out a 3A team as talented as Cedar Grove... and Peach Co. probably has the best coaching in 3A.

Cartersville vs Thomson in 4A... man thatll be a DOOZY. 

Both Stockbridge & Rome are playing well right now in 5A so I dont mind either playing Buford as long as they beat them. 

6A Championship? You never know who is going to win a Tucker vs Northside-WR playoff game.  Whoever wins that one will probably play Valdosta... Tucker vs Valdosta or Northside-WR vs Valdosta... who knows...

The big 7A question? A rematch of last years 6A semifinals... Grayson vs Roswell. It feels like Roswell got off easy compared to Graysons path as Grayson had to beat Colquitt and has to beat Mill Creek to get there.

Roswell path of Pebblebrook, Peachtree Ridge, North Cobb, & Westlake just doesnt seem as difficult. Although clearly you never know about Westlake... they are very athletic from what I saw last night.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Weve known all year whos end up playing in the 2A title , Fitzgerald vs Benedictine. Ill be interested in that one.

GAC vs Crisp does look like a good matchup but you cant count out a 3A team as talented as Cedar Grove... and Peach Co. probably has the best coaching in 3A.

Cartersville vs Thomson in 4A... man thatll be a DOOZY. 

Both Stockbridge & Rome are playing well right now in 5A so I dont mind either playing Buford as long as they beat them. 

6A Championship? You never know who is going to win a Tucker vs Northside-WR playoff game.  Whoever wins that one will probably play Valdosta... Tucker vs Valdosta or Northside-WR vs Valdosta... who knows...

The big 7A question? A rematch of last years 6A semifinals... Grayson vs Roswell. It feels like Roswell got off easy compared to Graysons path as Grayson had to beat Colquitt and has to beat Mill Creek to get there.

Roswell path of Pebblebrook, Peachtree Ridge, North Cobb, & Westlake just doesnt seem as difficult. Although clearly you never know about Westlake... they are very athletic from what I saw last night.

One thing for sure, 6A and 7A this year are a lot of fun to watch. After a building up to face each other, there's some monster teams knocking heads now. 

So a guy who had 3 All-Americans at Coconut Creek and never made the playoffs even once goes to Georgia and in his first year advances to the 7A State Semifinals.

Tough bracket you got there.

55 minutes ago, LOSer said:

So a guy who had 3 All-Americans at Coconut Creek and never made the playoffs even once goes to Georgia and in his first year advances to the 7A State Semifinals.

Westlakes very athletic. Westlake is also better at the LoS than CoCo Creek.

They also made it to the 7A Quarterfinals last year before falling to Grayson 35-28. 

In the 1st rd, They BARELY  scraped by that Etowah team you were nailing to the cross, 24-23. They did very well beating  South Gwinnett 41-7. And last night beat Lowndes 24-21 on a FG as time expired. 

Westlake finished the regular season very unimpressively... barely beating some pretty bad teams and even losing to Langston Hughes... and Cartersville 31-0, and McEachern just 6-2. 

But theyve turned it on and are doing well in the playoffs ...

CoCoCreek was barely beating Marist 27-21 last year with 3 mins left in the 4th quarter...  Westlake is simply better than Coconut Creek.

Westlake also did get lucky and get the easier quadrant of the 4... but that doesnt diminish the fact theyve been much better in the playoffs than in the regular season. 

The same can be said of Rick Darlington failing at Valdosta and being a legend at Apopka.

The same can be said of the Coffee Co coach Robby Pruitt..

Those are/were legends in FL, and mediocre here. 

Westlake was simply good when he got here. They have some good players and are simply all around better than CoCoCreek. Look at their season.

Coconut Creek: 

2011: 0-10 (ranked #473 in all of FL)

2012: 1-9 (the team only scored 52 total points in their 9 losses, ranked #435 in all of FL)

Kareem Reid arrives

2013: 5-5 , #255 in all of FL

2014: 4-6, #143 in all of FL

2015: 6-4, #40 in all of Florida...

In 2015 ... CoCo Creek only lost to 8A State Champion Flanagan by 7, 21-14... Top 25 nationally AHP 41-20, Top 50 nationally Hallandale 36-22, and the BTW killer, Jackson 42-35... 

So he took one of the worst teams in ALL of Florida and in a short time made them into a team that could play with the top teams in the country... 

And Westlake was already a 7A Quarterfinalist... not one of the worst teams in GA

You sir, are a dumb ass... the username fits you

2 hours ago, LOSer said:

1st off He has more talent at Westlake. thats for damn sure... 

And I will say this. 

Westlake plays team ball not All star ball. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The GHSA got exactly what they wanted with the new alignments. An all North Ga. Semis and Championship. 

This year any way. 

Do you really believe that?  Lots of South Georgia people say that but I find that really hard to believe.  There are more schools in South Georgia than in North Georgia.  Our schools tend to be bigger but each school gets one vote.  Besides, if like many say it is about the money, it is not a secret that often the game attendance is better with the South Georgia schools.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fred said:

Do you really believe that?  Lots of South Georgia people say that but I find that really hard to believe.  There are more schools in South Georgia than in North Georgia.  Our schools tend to be bigger but each school gets one vote.  Besides, if like many say it is about the money, it is not a secret that often the game attendance is better with the South Georgia schools.

Ok South GA does not have more schools than North GA... 

Theres a freaking HS for every 10-20 miles You travel in Atlanta... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

Westlakes very athletic. Westlake is also better at the LoS than CoCo Creek.

They also made it to the 7A Quarterfinals last year before falling to Grayson 35-28. 

In the 1st rd, They BARELY  scraped by that Etowah team you were nailing to the cross, 24-23. They did very well beating  South Gwinnett 41-7. And last night beat Lowndes 24-21 on a FG as time expired. 

Westlake finished the regular season very unimpressively... barely beating some pretty bad teams and even losing to Langston Hughes... and Cartersville 31-0, and McEachern just 6-2. 

But theyve turned it on and are doing well in the playoffs ...

CoCoCreek was barely beating Marist 27-21 last year with 3 mins left in the 4th quarter...  Westlake is simply better than Coconut Creek.

Westlake also did get lucky and get the easier quadrant of the 4... but that doesnt diminish the fact theyve been much better in the playoffs than in the regular season. 

Two things:

The former coach at Coconut Creek could have all the All Americans in the world; once the whistle blows, the guy across from them could care less.  Maybe he didn't inspire his Coco team high enough, or maybe they just met teams who were much better.  At Westlake, those boys were inconsistent all year, which is why I never expected this from them.  Same coach, same message, I suppose, but more players with heart probably......and I would bet they are inspired as hell to be playing Roswell next week.

Secondly, I have said for years that good teams at the beginning of the season means nothing.  It's the head coaches who  understand how to get their teams to peak at the right time (playoffs) that usually win most playoff games.  Westlake is peaking.  The loss to Hughes, I throw out the window because that is a cross-town semi-rivalry.  Hughes is never too bad a team and Westlake is never too great a team, so anything can happen.  Against Cartersville, I didn't see it, but to lose like that was embarrassing.  I suppose that was the Trevor Lawrence factor.  I hope that was their wakeup call.  They played one of the best defenses (McEachern) in the state very well and lost 6-2 so this is a very dangerous team at this point in the season.  As athletic as Grayson, but maybe angrier.  This team is very capable of beating Roswell; unfortunately if they do, Grayson will really take notice.

19 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

My non-scientific picks for next week:

----------------

7A Semifinal Matchups:

Roswell @ Westlake

Mill Creek @ Grayson

====================================

6A Semifinal Matchups:

Northside-WR @ Tucker 

Valdosta @ Dalton

================================

5A Semifinal Matchups:

Stockbridge vs Rome.......unless the game is at Rome (Rome); going with the home team

Kell @ Buford 

==========================================

4A Semifinal Matchups:

Mary Persons @ Cartersville 

Thomson @ Jefferson 

==========================

3A Semifinal Matchups:

Greater Atl. Christian @ Peach Co. 

Cedar Grove @ Crisp Co.

=======================

2A Semifinal Matchups:

Callaway @ Benedictine

Hapeville Charter @ Fitzgerald

• HawgGoneIt changed the title to Georgia Semifinal Matchupshttps://www.prepgridiron.com/topic/97-georgia-semifinal-matchups/