OT: Which liberal talking head's head exploded today?

noonereal

Curious.

Just how does a "feminist" progressive woman be a fan of Sharia law if the following are true?

• A man can marry an infant girl and consummate the marriage when she is 9 years old.
• Girls' clitoris should be cut (Muhammad's words, Book 41, Kitab Al-Adab, Hadith 5251).
• A woman can have 1 husband, who can have up to 4 wives; Muhammad can have more.
• A man can beat his wife for insubordination.
• A man can unilaterally divorce his wife; a woman needs her husband's consent to divorce.
• A divorced wife loses custody of all children over 6 years of age or when they exceed it.
• Testimonies of four male witnesses are required to prove rape against a woman.
• A woman who has been raped cannot testify in court against her rapist(s).
• A woman's testimony in court, allowed in property cases, carries ½ the weight of a man's.
• A female heir inherits half of what a male heir inherits.
• A woman cannot drive a car, as it leads to fitnah (upheaval).
• A woman cannot speak alone to a man who is not her husband or relative.

There's other good stuff like stoning etc also...

12 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I believe we were initially on about a broad brushed post by nolebull on how his rights and beliefs were better and more important than those of everyone else. Therefore, he was pushing for and applauding attempts at infringing on the rights of others without realizing that eroding their rights would lead to the eroding of his own.

wow, your hammer has been burying the nail with one shot lately. another brilliant post from you, thanks

12 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

I'd prefer less innuendo, just because I can't always fill in the gaps correctly.

I take it that you're referring mostly to Christians who are against abortion and gay marriage.

For the sake of brevity, let's assume that that's true.

I don't see how that counts in favor of an immigration policy that seems to ignore the very serious problems that we've seen in Canada and Western Europe in recent years. 

Maybe all immigrants and/or those seeking political asylum should be vetted and left with the understanding that they WILL live by our laws/Constitution. Also, they should be in acceptance to the American culture and way of life. If I moved to another country, I wouldn't expect the people to change ANYTHING for me. When in Rome...........

It seems America walks around on egg shells TOO much to satisfy this group or that. JMO.

12 minutes ago, LeftOnBase said:

Maybe all immigrants and/or those seeking political asylum should be vetted and left with the understanding that they WILL live by our laws/Constitution. Also, they should be in acceptance to the American culture and way of life. If I moved to another country, I wouldn't expect the people to change ANYTHING for me. When in Rome...........

It seems America walks around on egg shells TOO much to satisfy this group or that. JMO.

what on earth are you talking about? 

What is Americas culture and way of life? 

What is it THEY what you to change?

15 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

That was quite a windup for a "No".

But notice that you've restricted the relevant class to non-terrorist Muslims who share Western values -- I'm not sure why you put "non terrorist" in quotation marks -- but the question (I think: I honesty can't remember what the exact question was) wasn't about this restricted group but about Muslim immigration policies given what we know has happened in certain Western European countries that have had relatively open boarders in the recent past.

Please take note that I'm not anti-Islam and that I've worked with and respected Muslims and that I've read and admired Avicenna and Averroes and Rumi.

It's a shame that giving evidence that one isn't prejudiced against a certain group is now widely considered evidence that one is prejudiced against that group. 

I blame the Left for that. 

Lol. That was quite a windup.  I've been known to ramble from time to time. 

I put the "non terrorist" in quotation marks because I wanted to make the distinction between Muslims and terrorist for those who have a hard time separating the two.  Some like to blur the lines and I just feel we should make sure what we are talking about.  I would do the same thing if we were talking about the Dylann Roofs of the world, KKK, etc. when referring to Christianity. 

This is an extremely complicated topic and even more so with all the fear, hate around this subject.  I do not consider you anti-Islam at all.  Everything you have posted, that I have seen, is very reasonable, thoughtful and with some humor mixed in.  Good stuff imo. 

Now about the question.  I think in order to have a opinion, that isn't emotionally based,  one should go back to the beginning of the religion.  In doing that one can see how the foundation was built and how it was influenced going forward and by whom it was influenced by.  What factors played into the different groups on how they chose their allegiance to a particular individual and ideology.   Islam is, I believe, going through growing pains and have been for the last 150 years or so.  Very much like Christianity did about the same time in it's evolution.  A very important point about Islam is that the idea of spirituality and social justice as it relates to building a society are virtually inseparable.  That is at the heart of the turmoil in the Arab world and the result is radical islamist.  As they work towards a more open and free society, just like Europe did with Christianity, the west should encourage and help when they can.  The vast majority of Muslim's are loving and peaceful, as is their religion.  There is hardly a more violent book ever written than the bible, especially when taken literally.  Which wasn't the intention imo.  Christians from the beginning to today use the bible to justify all sorts of horrible atrocities and Islam is no different. 

It is a fact that a large number of radical islamist want to do us harm.  They want to do everybody harm.  These folks should be vetted and not allowed to come here.  However, the Syrian refugees, should definitely be allowed to come.  So should non refugees for that matter, we just need to make sure they are vetted.  When these growing pains are concluded, Islam will probably have around the same number of radicals as does Christianity does now.

I think the fact that the Islamic faith requires a practice called "Salat" which is praying 5 x a day, makes Christians nervous.  Someone who prays that much every day must be a radical of some kind.  Just my unsubstantiated opinion.  I got a lot of those.  ;)

That was another long windup and I may have balked but not sure. 

• Like 3