Texas Football Talk

Texasball

On 5/14/2018 at 7:46 PM, Texasball said:

Don't sleep on Mesquite Horn either. I'd bank more on them than Cedar Hill.

Rockwall, Horn and Longview make for a very tough top 3 in 11-6A.

2 hours ago, WulfTangClan said:

Don't sleep on Mesquite Horn either. I'd bank more on them than Cedar Hill.

Rockwall, Horn and Longview make for a very tough top 3 in 11-6A.

Yeah, out of the 3 in the article, I think Horn will prove to be the best. I don't see Chill improving for another couple of years. Looking forward to seeing Allen vs. Horn for the season opener. 

14 hours ago, Cracker said:

Yeah, out of the 3 in the article, I think Horn will prove to be the best. I don't see Chill improving for another couple of years. Looking forward to seeing Allen vs. Horn for the season opener. 

How has Allen looked this spring?  It’s been quiet over there, not much has been written about Allen so far this offseason. 

4 hours ago, Horsefly said:

How has Allen looked this spring?  It’s been quiet over there, not much has been written about Allen so far this offseason. 

I haven't had time to really pay attention. Everything I know right now is 3rd party information. Just started a side hustle related to my industry and I have been swamped.

From what I hear, DL looks good, OL maybe not as big as the past, WRs could be a strength, RBs could be flying under the radar. Playing in a different region should be interesting come playoff time. I hear good things from the players about how they really like playing for Gambill. I just wish Gambill had more of a killer instinct.

https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/sports/high-school/central/2018/05/18/bobcats-give-fans-taste-whats-come-2018-san-angelo-central-football-maverick-mcivor/624930002/

Bobcats give fans a taste of what's to come in 2018

Charles Bryce, San Angelo Standard-Times

Central football spring game Friday, May 18, 2018

It wasn't an actual game, but electricity was in the air Friday night for the San Angelo Central High School football team's spring game at San Angelo Stadium.

"I thought it all looked really good," Central head coach Brent Davis said. "I thought our defense played extremely hard and got after it. Obviously, (quarterback) Maverick (McIvor) looked really good. He threw the ball extremely well.

"We had a few drops that we've got to clean up. A couple of times our protection broke down, but we'll get those things fixed. We don't have (lineman) Gunner Couch (who's nursing an injury) and he'll make a big difference for us."

The 6-foot-3, 195-pounder McIvor had the usual zip on his passes and the pinpoint accuracy the Bobcats fans are accustomed to seeing.

"Yeah, he was real accurate," Crane said of McIvor. "He's just a great player and I'm glad he's a Bobcat."

As it's been reported, McIvor has already received 15 scholarship offers and there were coaches from Texas A&M, UTEP and elsewhere on hand to watch him do his thing.

McIvor delighted the crowd of several hundred die-hard fans with some crisp TD passes.

"Nothing better than coming out and playing football on a Friday night," the Central QB said.

McIvor's top two receivers from last year -- Henry Teeter and Jesse Scott -- are graduating later this month.

The Bobcats will have to have some new faces step up and fill those voids, along with seasoned veteran slot receivers Philip Lupton and Jackson Timme, who will be back for their senior year this fall.

The Central receivers struggled catching the ball at times, but Lupton was the one who really stood out Friday.

"We're a work in progress," Central offensive coordinator Kevin Crane said. "We've got some younger guys on our outside and we've got those two guys (Lupton and Timme) coming back on the inside. They're kind of our leaders.

"It's hard to catch 100 percent of the passes, but I thought as the spring went they got better and now they've got summer 7-on-7 to keep improving and hopefully get ready for the fall."

Lupton feels good about the leadership that he and Timme are providing for the other receivers.

Central players practice during the spring game Friday,

"Graduating Henry Teeter and Jesse Scott is no easy task to replace, but Tanner Dabbert and Christian Gabaldon did a real good job on the outside tonight and they both had a TD," Lupton said.

McIvor likes the progress he's seeing in that group.

"Our whole receiving corps is coming along," McIvor said. "We're making strides every day and we're getting better and better."

And he feels very good about the big men up front who will be providing protection for him in what promises to be a great senior season.

"They do the job every day," McIvor said. "They're always working hard. I couldn't do this without them."

Davis says the Bobcats should have 22 very strong starters, but they're going to have to develop some more depth.

Central's defense really benefits from going up against the Bobcats' explosive spread offense, especially with somebody like McIvor pulling the trigger.

"They're not going to face anybody better than that," Davis said. "He's so good. They know what he's doing and he can still do it. You're not going to find a better quarterback in 2018 than Maverick McIvor.

"It makes us better going up against him every day, but obviously as a defensive coach you're a little frustrated, too, because he can complete the ball in some tight areas."

https://sanangelolive.com/news/sports/2018-05-18/central-spring-game-draws-national-attention

Central Spring Game Draws National Attention

By Sam Fowler

mcivorspring4.jpg

SAN ANGELO, TX-- The Bobcats took to the San Angelo Stadium turf to give fans their first look at the 2018 team in a game-like scenario with their annual Spring Game.

“We came out of [the spring] relatively healthy and just got better,” Central head coach Brent Davis said. “Four weeks ago I wasn’t very pleased with a lot of things. We just kept getting better each day and I felt like tonight was pretty good.”

The game pitted the Bobcat offense against the defense and drew attention from more eyes than just the local media.

A film crew from the Go90 docu-series “QB1: Beyond the Lights” was on hand documenting Central’s QB1, Maverick McIvor and the Bobcats. Central’s gunslinger, who’s sitting on 15 Division I offers, is being considered to be one of the featured athletes for the 2019 recruiting class.

Beyond the Lights" films Central players while they watch the spring game. May 18, 2018 (LIVE! Photo/Sam Fowler)

Above: A film crew for the Docu-Series "QB1: Beyond the Lights" films Central players while they watch the spring game. May 18, 2018 (LIVE! Photo/Sam Fowler)

“It’s great for [Maverick], obviously. It’s a big feather in his cap,” Davis said. “It’s good for our program. It’s good to put San Angelo on the map. That’s a nationwide deal and it puts our brand out there, Bobcat football and San Angelo ISD and the town of San Angelo, Texas. All of that is fantastic. It’s good for football, it’s good for high school football and it’s good for this town.”

McIvor looked good in the scrimmage, throwing a couple of touchdown passes and showcasing his running ability which Bobcat fans have come to know and love.

“He’s as good a quarterback [as you’ll find] in the nation in high school and that’s not an overstatement,” Davis said of the District 2-6A MVP. “When you have a guy like that, you’re going to have a good football team.

McIvor’s spring, when not fielding offers, was used to get acquainted with his new-look receiving corps that only features two returners from 2017, Philip Lupton and Jackson Timme.

“We’ve gotten so much better since the start of [spring practice] and we’re definitely looking forward to next year,” McIvor said. “Our defense stepped up and got better and better every practice, so we’re really looking forward to next year.”

In the scrimmage the meshing of the new receivers and McIvor seemed evident, with the newcomers occasionally underestimating McIvor’s arm strength or dropping passes. However, that group will have plenty of time to gel with 7-on-7 tournaments during the summer in places like Austin and Lubbock.

Tanner Dabbert and Christian Gabaldon are expected to be the deep threats for the Bobcats in 2018.

Central's Tanner Dabbert catches a touchdown pass during the Bobcat's spring game. May 18, 2018 (LIVE! Photo/Sam Fowler)

Above: Central's Tanner Dabbert catches a touchdown pass during the Bobcat's spring game. May 18, 2018 (LIVE! Photo/Sam Fowler)

“They’ve gotten better and better,” Davis said of the two receivers. “Dabbert played great tonight. He’s had a great spring. Christian has gotten better. It’s going to take him a little bit. He’s young, just a sophomore, and he played on our [junior varsity] last year.”

In 2017, the Bobcats looked like they would have a stacked backfield with Austin Barron transferring in to play running back before missing most of the season due to injury.

While the Bobcats relied heavily on McIvor’s running ability in 2017, Bobby Pena saw considerable time in the backfield as a sophomore which should translate well in 2018. The Bobcats also got a big boost when Sam Goodloe III transferred to Central from Reagan County at the beginning of the spring semester.

Both Pena and Goodloe showed excellent vision and running ability during the scrimmage.

“It always helps when you have a great quarterback than can throw the ball well if you can put a running game with him,” Davis said. “It makes [our offense] really good. I feel good about both [Bobby and Sam]. Sam moved in in January and really caught on and had a good spring. Bobby’s back from last year and he’s going to be solid, he’s going to be dependable. With them together, we’ll have a good running game.”

Goodloe rushed for over 1,400 yards combined during his sophomore and junior seasons for the Owls.

Behind, rather in front of this juggernaut offense is the offensive line where the Bobcats return four of their five starters from 2017. Heading up that quartet are Gunner Couch, Rowdy Garza and Oscar Nino. Couch missed the spring due to injury, but will start up front for Central when the 2018 season rolls around.

“I can’t wait,” said an enthused McIvor. “Four out of five coming back and that’s real good. I don’t know if we’ve allowed more than five sacks this spring. They work their tail off and every day they’re just out here getting better.”

Defensively, the Bobcats will look to replace a plethora of players in different position groups with the likes of defensive backs Gage Smith, Jakobe Green, Nick Severson and Otto Haynes, linebacker Noah Gatton and defensive linemen Malik Smith and Michael Neira graduating from Central High School.

The Bobcats open fall practice on Monday, Aug. 13, before opening the 2018 season at home against Killeen Shoemaker on Friday, Aug. 31.

• 3 weeks later...

As reported earlier - Kids are flocking out of Desoto.

I hear Bishop Lynch has picked up two power 5 recruits from Desoto - both are still young - they will be soph or Jr's next year - not sure which.

DC - is optimistic about playing good vs John Curtis Veer -  They have some pretty good looking players on defense at Bishop Lynch - They did also get QB transfer is my understand - The weak link is the OL for what I am hearing.

32 minutes ago, Texasball said:

As reported earlier - Kids are flocking out of Desoto.

I hear Bishop Lynch has picked up two power 5 recruits from Desoto - both are still young - they will be soph or Jr's next year - not sure which.

DC - is optimistic about playing good vs John Curtis Veer -  They have some pretty good looking players on defense at Bishop Lynch - They did also get QB transfer is my understand - The weak link is the OL for what I am hearing.

Hmmm.  Interesting 

• 1 month later...