See this is what I'm talking about

HSFBfan

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Idk. 

I think as a society we do have to expunge some things from us. If we allow students to "side up" in an open debate like the ones you suggest, there is no way the teacher could be able to control the interactions and either animosity or love that each side of the debate feels for the other. 

We can learn about these things without driving each other into corners in a debate in the classroom. 

Do you not see a negative to making the black kids in a classroom be slaves for a discussion? Wouldn't that belittle these students in the face of their counterparts? 

I'd think something more than backlash is deserved in that situation. 

I think in the situation you asked me about in the latter part of your post shows a visual. Some kids are visual learners and so they can see what the slaves experienced instead of just words coming out of a teachers mouth or words in a textbook. It gets the students involved in history. I do not believe it belittles the students as much as it does make it come alive for them. Its funny my love of history especially in some areas goes very deep and I have been asked why I never became a history teacher and then you read these articles is why i never became a teacher. You cant do anything that will help students become involved. Its read the book and accept what it says. I was never that type of student. I always asked question. Always challenged other students in terms of a discussion.

As for the top part of your post I do have to disagree. Why do we have to expunge? Why cant students learn about the different aspects of a topic?

Ill bring up another topic that isnt as racial as some people would put it.......can people have a discussion on the death penalty?

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I think in the situation you asked me about in the latter part of your post shows a visual. Some kids are visual learners and so they can see what the slaves experienced instead of just words coming out of a teachers mouth or words in a textbook. It gets the students involved in history. I do not believe it belittles the students as much as it does make it come alive for them. Its funny my love of history especially in some areas goes very deep and I have been asked why I never became a history teacher and then you read these articles is why i never became a teacher. You cant do anything that will help students become involved. Its read the book and accept what it says. I was never that type of student. I always asked question. Always challenged other students in terms of a discussion.

As for the top part of your post I do have to disagree. Why do we have to expunge? Why cant students learn about the different aspects of a topic?

Ill bring up another topic that isnt as racial as some people would put it.......can people have a discussion on the death penalty?

I think Horse was right when he said its how you frame the conversation.   When you ask What the benefits of slavery are, there is none.  If you were to ask What affect slavery had in relation to where we are now, that is a better conversation.  

Topics on Nazi, internment camp's, and the like are interesting conversations.  But the positives of the holocaust or internment camps, there is none.  

Why don't you start a "the positives of putting all special needs kids to death just to save money" topic?  Bc there are no poitives.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Some things are socially unacceptable as we advance as a people socially. That's the only answer I have for why some things need to be expunged. 

Why not make the white students the slaves in the visual episode in the classroom?  Lot's of things wrong with using the method this teacher used. 

1 minute ago, World Citizen said:

I think Horse was right when he said its how you frame the conversation.   When you ask What the benefits of slavery are, there is none.  If you were to ask What affect slavery had in relation to where we are now, that is a better conversation.  

Topics on Nazi, internment camp's, and the like are interesting conversations.  But the positives of the holocaust or internment camps, there is none.  

Why don't you start a "the positives of putting all special needs kids to death just to save money" topic?  Bc there are no poitives.  

Depends on how you look at it. Again your already dismissing the conversation. I believe that internment camps were necessary as we were in a state of war and to protect us from any internal attacks from the japanese people living here we made sure they were not capable of doing that. So right there is a positive thing. So you saying that there is no positives of it in my opinion is just wrong. Was there a positive of the holocaust.....no there wasnt and thats a topic I can certainly agree with you with.

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Some things are socially unacceptable as we advance as a people socially. That's the only answer I have for why some things need to be expunged. 

Why not make the white students the slaves in the visual episode in the classroom?  Lot's of things wrong with using the method this teacher used. 

If were going to talk about slavery of europe sure I have no problem with what you are talking about.  Well agree to disagree but it was a good conversation

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I've heard of teachers doing things like dividing the class into brown eyes and blue eyes or Brown hair blonde hair and having the Brown hair kids getting all the benefits while the other kids were getting the shaft.  

Kids really got a taste of what it would be like without getting into race.  Great way imho.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Depends on how you look at it. Again your already dismissing the conversation. I believe that internment camps were necessary as we were in a state of war and to protect us from any internal attacks from the japanese people living here we made sure they were not capable of doing that. So right there is a positive thing. So you saying that there is no positives of it in my opinion is just wrong. Was there a positive of the holocaust.....no there wasnt and thats a topic I can certainly agree with you with.

Bullshit.  They were not necessary.

They were Americans and should have been treated as such.  If you like history you should know that.  Did you know that those Japanese Americans were the most fierce and bravest troops we had and were awarded the most medals for bravery and courage during WW2 in Europe?  

They were out to prove that were indeed Americans and they did.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Bullshit.  They were not necessary.

They were Americans and should have been treated as such.  If you like history you should know that.  Did you know that those Japanese Americans were the most fierce and bravest troops we had and were awarded the most medals for bravery and courage during WW2 in Europe?  

They were out to prove that were indeed Americans and they did.  

Yes I understand that completely and the ones that served for our military were extremely brave and played some very crucial roles in the military. But at the same time maybe you can put blame on the decision to intern those private citizens in this country and I can understand that but we had to protect this country and we did so. Just like dropping the atomic bombs were controversial but necessary. It ended the war quicker and saved lives. The Japanese were never going to quit. They would have fought til everyone died. Just look at today we are fighting a conflict in the middle east and some of those cells are in this country inflicting damage. And we do nothing about it. So like I told Hawg good conversation but were not going to agree on the subject.

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

Yes I understand that completely and the ones that served for our military were extremely brave and played some very crucial roles in the military. But at the same time maybe you can put blame on the decision to intern those private citizens in this country and I can understand that but we had to protect this country and we did so. Just like dropping the atomic bombs were controversial but necessary. It ended the war quicker and saved lives. The Japanese were never going to quit. They would have fought til everyone died. Just look at today we are fighting a conflict in the middle east and some of those cells are in this country inflicting damage. And we do nothing about it. So like I told Hawg good conversation but were not going to agree on the subject.

That decision has been largely thought to be a bad decision and it is a stain on our country.  Just like slavery is and like the way we treated and are treating the Indians.  It was the wrong thing to do and it was not necessary.  

All you have to do to see that is to put yourself in their shoes.  

1 minute ago, World Citizen said:

That decision has been largely thought to be a bad decision and it is a stain on our country.  Just like slavery is and like the way we treated and are treating the Indians.  It was the wrong thing to do and it was not necessary.  

All you have to do to see that is to put yourself in their shoes.  

Again I'll disagree and it was a good conversation. Have a wonderful Sunday. 

3 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Lol

I'm not sure about that list since he seems open to discuss anything with anybody.  

Lists are for shopping anyway. 

😎

I am willing to discuss anything with anybody but at the same time before it goes bad there is an appropriate way to end a conversation. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

Not me.

When I told him i was concerned about him as a brother under God, he cursed me out and told me to never quote him again.

He talked to me for 3 fucking pages and then got mad as hell.

Lol

You have had a few cursing you out lately.  Keep doing you brother bc the world needs your voice.  

17 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Because slavery worked all across the world for thousands of years. If not for slavery the great pyramids would not be built. There are positive aspects of slavery. And because schools dont want to have an open discussion as I am getting backlash right on the board nobody is willing to have a discussion. Why cant kids learn both sides??

Seriously??? Theres a positive side to enslavement, torture, rape, beatings, and just treating people worse than rabid animals?

Would you want you mother or children enslaved to build some USELESS pyramids??

WTF are you smoking??

2 minutes ago, rockinl said:

Seriously??? Theres a positive side to enslavement, torture, rape, beatings, and just treating people worse than rabid animals?

Would you want you mother or children enslaved to build some USELESS pyramids??

WTF are you smoking??

What about the slaves that were treated very well. Again you only hear about the owners who treated them like shit as you pointed out

9 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

What about the slaves that were treated very well. Again you only hear about the owners who treated them like shit as you pointed out

ultimately what slavery does is strip people of their freedom.  Regardless of how nice massa was they were still not permitted to come and go as they desired nor seek their own economic opportunities, and they were limited in all their relationships even with other slave owners, to include those that were not so nice.  (They had to yield to a strict social order in all they did or whomever they met)

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Treated well? You mean the ones that worked like dogs for NOTHING, but were fed and not beaten or raped?

Im done with you.