See this is what I'm talking about

HSFBfan

46 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Anything that goes agains the majority gets knocked down in schools. There is no such thing when it comes to an open debate 

https://ml.t-mobile.com/#tmobile/news-plus/topnews/texas-8th-graders-asked-to-list-positives-of-slavery90e85b9cbe

While I probably agree with you that PC has run amok, you gotta be kidding me, right?  Positives of slavery?!?!

Why not the gulag or the holocaust?  Sure millions of people died, but at least they got clothing and shelter and a shower beforehand!

• Like 1

I can appreciate the debate, but it has to be started with some level of care.  For example, one could argue the economic benefits of slave labor compared to wages.  But it should be understood that the positions aren't necessarily an endorsement of slavery. The teacher didn't have the skills to tackle that particular topic, she pretty much said so herself in that she was just following the outline, so it came across awkward.

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

I can appreciate the debate, but it has to be started with some level of care.  For example, one could argue the economic benefits of slave labor compared to wages.  But it should be understood that the positions aren't necessarily an endorsement of slavery. The teacher didn't have the skills to tackle that particular topic, she pretty much said so herself in that she was just following the outline, so it came across awkward.

Even an economic “endorsement” of the practice is bad IMHO and should be off limits apart from something like a PhD thesis.  Doesn’t belong being discussed at the level it was in the article.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

What is it with you and the positives of slavery?  There is none and we are not going back.  

And should the minority decide rather than the majority?  How Trump got elected and how congress works nothwithstanding.  

Because slavery worked all across the world for thousands of years. If not for slavery the great pyramids would not be built. There are positive aspects of slavery. And because schools dont want to have an open discussion as I am getting backlash right on the board nobody is willing to have a discussion. Why cant kids learn both sides??

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

What in your opinion were the positives?  Genuinely curious to know your thoughts.

From a stand point of economics it keep the southern states going. There was not a lot of industrial employment like in the  north. So cotton picking and such kept the southern goods in production. For others that had no education it gave them a job. And at the end of the civil war there were slaves that went back to their masters because they did have a good life. You only hear about the owners who abused their slaves. Another downfall of an open discussion. We hear all the time why the southern states are downtrodden today. Well you can thank Lincoln for taking away the southern way of life back in 1865. Now do I believe slavery was going to end sooner then later yes I do but Lincoln sped up that process and it led to a disastrous period called reconstruction. 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Even an economic “endorsement” of the practice is bad IMHO and should be off limits apart from something like a PhD thesis.  Doesn’t belong being discussed at the level it was in the article.

Agree.  If she's never approached critical thinking topics before she should have left this one on the table.

18 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

While I probably agree with you that PC has run amok, you gotta be kidding me, right?  Positives of slavery?!?!

Why not the gulag or the holocaust?  Sure millions of people died, but at least they got clothing and shelter and a shower beforehand!

Dude really comparing slavery and the holocaust?? Completely different affairs 

32 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Because slavery worked all across the world for thousands of years. If not for slavery the great pyramids would not be built. There are positive aspects of slavery. And because schools dont want to have an open discussion as I am getting backlash right on the board nobody is willing to have a discussion. Why cant kids learn both sides??

Well in that vein of logic, the Nazis used hair to make blankets from the holocaust victims before gassing or placing in oven. 

Humanity is exceptionally cruel and ruthless. 

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

From a stand point of economics it keep the southern states going. There was not a lot of industrial employment like in the  north. So cotton picking and such kept the southern goods in production. For others that had no education it gave them a job. And at the end of the civil war there were slaves that went back to their masters because they did have a good life. You only hear about the owners who abused their slaves. Another downfall of an open discussion. We hear all the time why the southern states are downtrodden today. Well you can thank Lincoln for taking away the southern way of life back in 1865. Now do I believe slavery was going to end sooner then later yes I do but Lincoln sped up that process and it led to a disastrous period called reconstruction. 

If we are discussing history then have at it but if not, What is the point?  I should have asked this first - Why do you want to talk about the positives of slavery?

Not so sure on the slaves building the pyramids, But that is irrelevant.

What side is it that you don't think kids can figure out simply by thinking about it?   Not a difficult concept to grasp right off the top and it doesn't need a semester learning the obvious.  

1 minute ago, World Citizen said:

My guess is either bc of family or they were starving or couldn't adapt.  

The opportunity for them was not the same as others. 

They were mostly uneducated and indigent, and black. They ended up returning to their former owners in an entirely different version of slavery. Sharecropping. 

They barely survived, scraping by doing that. 

Before you question go look up any positive aspects of slavery

To those that owned slaves there were positives. They made a larger profit than they would have had they employed free labor.

As one who has some ancestors who were slaves, albeit in Jamaica and not the USA,  I find the whole idea of discussing whether those ancestors benefited from slavery to be morally repugnant. think about this for a second: if I owned you like a dog or cat, even if I was as kind as some pet owners are to their pets, could you justify my ownership? Even if you did not hate me for ownership of you, could you ever really see me as an equal human being? 

When you can give me an honest, well thought out answer to the above, ask the question again. To be honest, I find it deeply disturbing that you keep bringing up the topic. But you are who you are, I suppose. 

Slavery needs to be left in the past. The country needs to move on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

I can understand that.  But what is the point?  Imo it's similiar to asking what the benefits are of having public executions in the town square.  It may have an argument for deference but it's not ever going to happen.  

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The opportunity for them was not the same as others. 

They were mostly uneducated and indigent, and black. They ended up returning to their former owners in an entirely different version of slavery. Sharecropping. 

They barely survived, scraping by doing that. 

Yes.  That is a great point and goes to highlight the fact that just bc slavery ended didn't mean racism ended and definitely didn't mean They had any rights.  Same with civil rights in the 60's.  

Back then, if you could manage it, try to be white.  Much better career advancement and a few perks to go along with it.  

• Like 1