Evangel Christian def John Curtis 27-6

Lurker

http://johncurtispatriots.com/2016/11/23/live-stream-vs-evangel/

live stream link ^

IMO, biggest game in the state this Friday. In what has become a seemingly annual playoff matchup, these two will square off at Zephyr Field in New Orleans with a trip to the Superdome on the line. There is no love lost between these two teams as this rivalry has grown larger each year since Evangels inception. 

Evangel - Riding a 9 game win streak since Week 2, Evangel has crushed every opponent other than St. Paul's last week. Talent wise, Evangel is loaded. They stuggled early in the season against Allen and Neville due in part to the teams they were competing against, but in larger part (IMO) to bad personnel decisions, bad play calling decisions, and too many changes two days before the Allen game. I have discussed these at length with several on this board and won't go back into the details, but just know that this is not the same Evangel from Weeks 1 and 2. This team matches up better with John Curtis than they did St. Paul's (again IMO) and it will come down to execution. 

My biggest concern for Evangel in this game: 

Conditioning. The downside to throttling every opponent for 9 consecutive weeks is that your starters play barely a half of football. No amount of running prepares the body for 4 quarters of "game action". This was very apparent last week against St. Paul's as Evangel far and away won the first half time of possession yet late in the third seemed gassed especially on defense. Evangel held a 28-7 lead late into the game yet allowed St. Paul's to close the gap to 28-21 with 5:36 left in the game. The offense then sustained the last drive of the game forcing St. Paul's to burn all 3 timeouts and run out the last 5:36. This could play a significant factor in this game with Curtis' ball control offense if the Evangel D doesn't have their game legs back under them. 

Curtis - Not a whole lot to say here that most don't already know. Curtis is Curtis. They are going to line up in the split back beer and try to pound the ball. They are a talented but younger version of typical Curtis teams. Defense is solid. They will execute at a high level in all aspects of the game. They will make few mistakes (although more turnover prone than past Curtis teams) and they will make you pay for your own mistakes. They have played quality teams all season and found ways to win although by closer margins than typical. They have thrown the football more this season than in an average year, averaging 12-15 passes a game. 

Biggest concern for Curtis:

Curtis wins most games in the trenches. They have a phenomenal strength program  and run the same downhill blocking plays from grade school on. This game, however, I do not see them dominating Evangel at the LOS on either side of the ball. LOS is my biggest concern for them in this matchup.

TLDR version: I predicted Evangel by 20 prior to the Beal suspension. Everything in me wants to predict it at 30/35 to 10 range in ECA's favor but the conditioning issue really concerns me so I am dropping it to 30-17 ECA. I really like this matchup for Evangel and was more concerned with the matchup against St Paul's as I expected Evangel to win it by 10 last week.

Looking forward to this matchup of perennial state powers and will try to update the score as best I can while choking back tears win or lose. Win and it's my son's first trip to the dome. Lose and it's his last high school game and we have to start discussing which College to attend.

• Like 4

Im late to the party...But I wish Lurker, RedNeckn (Something like that), and the Evangel family the best...

Personally...I think Evangel's front 7 on D is better than JC's...Tall #72 for JC is nothing more than a body that won't block a soul...so Evangel ALREADY has the advantage imo...

Two things concern me...How Evangel's D lines up to defend the option...Will they play the LBs in the gaps (similar to what Landry-Walker did this season)???  Or will they play vanilla with the outside LBs playing the edges from the LOS...The other thing is Curry better protect that ball like it is a piece of his soul...Because JC will make you pay (Ask Brother Martin, Jesuit, Rummel, St Aug, etc)

My pick:  Evangel 28 John Curtis 23

The key to the game will come down to Evangel's QB. He might be the most overrated player in Louisiana.

QB Curry folds up like wet tissue in big games when facing a quality defense.

Last week he was 11-22 100 yds 1 TD 2 INT vs St Pauls. Curtis defense is 3 steps up from St Pauls.

Against Allen and Monroe Neville much the same. If Curry doesn't choke Evangel may keep it close because of the style offense Curtis plays.

36 minutes ago, TheRealCAJ said:

The key to the game will come down to Evangel's QB. He might be the most overrated player in Louisiana.

QB Curry folds up like wet tissue in big games when facing a quality defense.

Last week he was 11-22 100 yds 1 TD 2 INT vs St Pauls. Curtis defense is 3 steps up from St Pauls.

Against Allen and Monroe Neville much the same. If Curry doesn't choke Evangel may keep it close because of the style offense Curtis plays.

He also had a rushing touchdown. Just saying. So he has an off game and he's the most overrated player in the state but the Curtis lineman makes CONTACT a couple of times per game and he's "raw".

Welcome back Caj, every village needs an idiot.

Curtis ran for 230 yards against WM and the kids HIGHLIGHTS consist of 3 plays. 1 good block, 1 where he gets stood up by a 5-9 200 lb linebacker and one block where he hits an engaged pass rusher. What was I thinking, kids a stud...

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

He also had a rushing touchdown. Just saying. So he has an off game and he's the most overrated player in the state but the Curtis lineman makes CONTACT a couple of times per game and he's "raw".

Welcome back Caj, every village needs an idiot.

Curtis ran for 230 yards against WM and the kids HIGHLIGHTS consist of 3 plays. 1 good block, 1 where he gets stood up by a 5-9 200 lb linebacker and one block where he hits an engaged pass rusher. What was I thinking, kids a stud...

You were clearly thinking that Curtis is 11-0 playing the toughest schedule in the state.

Like I said. If Curry chokes yet again you will enjoy your drive back to Shreveport.

Maybe you can talk about #72 for Curtis not blocking. You seem to care about that a lot 

1 hour ago, TheRealCAJ said:

#72 for Curtis is a raw first year starter.

6-9 325 lbs

I don't know if he can block a soul, but he opened some big holes vs West Monroe and Rummel.

I really don't know where frosty gets this stuff, but he does as good as anyone that is 700 miles from NOLA.

Carry on.

#72 Lance Mayfield

SInce ya kindly asked....:

Me and Pops (and others) watched him play against West Monroe at the BOB....Also watched a couple of his games on JC's stream....My pops and 4 of his friends spend almost the entire game watching to see if he'd actually touched somebody....But I expected such from CAJ (Whatever version he is these days)....Nothing new...

And yes when JC's TB breaks a run or two from the opposite side of the play it's because of the raw freak the didn't touch a soul....Ok...Got it...

Carry on...

2 minutes ago, TheRealCAJ said:

Yeah, I can read.

Keep thinking #72 for John Curtis is the key to the game like the guy from TX.

It's your gas!

Never said he was the key to the game. I simply called you out for making yet another ignorant statement. You attempt to spin nonsense and present it as fact. Similar to saying Frosty is FROM Texas... he is FROM Haughton, he lives in Tx. 

No one asked CAN you read, I asked DO you read the nonsense that comes out of your mouth. Keep swinging slugger, eventually (like the Curtis lineman), you will make contact!

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I apologize Caj... I wasn't very welcoming in your return. Allow me to make up for it! As a token of my apology please accept this Hillary and shirtless five star.

IMG_2455.PNGIMG_2456.PNG

You seem to have more spunk in your game when Evangel isn't getting baby sealed.

I knew you had it in you though all along.

6 hours ago, Frosty4024 said:

Tall #72 for JC is nothing more than a body that won't block a soul...so Evangel ALREADY has the advantage imo...

In your and your pop's expert opinions how's the Evangel Christian OL this year vs quality comp? All studs pancaking every single play?

Hmmm, not so much looking at the videos.

Anyways, you give Evangel a 7-10 point advantage due to #72? In your opinion.