Next Week's Coach Q&A is...

PrepGridiron

- Does the HC feel "brotherhood" truly makes a difference in opening week or two vs. later on in the season or is it the opponent first and foremost?  It's been discussed on the forum and other schools also use this term.   In terms of elite games early, their results have varied and some may avoid Byrnes entirely as an elite foe...  under HC Alumbaugh, 2 losses to quality teams in their 4th games of the season leads this fan to ? whether it's simply the opponent not the date.   Teams can get hot or cold, but actual games on scheduled game dates has to account for something.   Can we end this myth about hyper-improvement?  

2014:  Bynes mid Sept.,  comfortable easy win

2015:  1st game loss in TX to Euless Trinity  

2016:  4th game loss to East, UT

2017:  2nd game, nice comeback win vs. St. John's College, 4th game Bishop Gorman decisive loss  

- What is the DLS 4x100 time this season and do you honestly care what the time is or just that some ballers are staying in shape and bonding and keep the competitive spirit going.  

- Are opposing coaches bringing up to refs pregame to focus on the OL's movement prior to snap?   Or is this a non issue at this point

- Will @PrepGridiron and @GloryDays  receive  press box access next season with headphones too (like you can get at Nascar events to hear the pit crews?)  ;)  

• Haha 1

Probably won't get a straight answer for either of these, but they''ll be fun to ask:

What really happened with the East game?  We know no one backed out, but who dropped the ball?

Did Folsom really offer the entire gate for 2018 and 2019, like some people claim, or was that just their coach basically saying that he'd do anything to get the game?

19 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I heard the following: DLS waited too long to purchase their airline tix. The price doubled from the time they agreed to the game to when they called their travel agent to book the trip. 

Saw that rumor too but how far in advance can u book tix for a group travel like that? 6, 7 months? Game was when? Rumor was shot down on NorCal board. Rumor started by our friend the dearly departed.

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

I heard it from a DLS alum very close to the program. 

Oh ok gotcha. They said this on the NorCal board and people started checking to see how far in advance tix for that many can be purchased. The haters and non were going back n forth till some started posting airline policy and it was anywhere from 6 months to I think 8. Also block started a thread using echs fake calpreps national preseason rankings thinking it was real. Got destroyed. Cal14 Ararar and a few others went to town on him. Great stuff.

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I heard the following: DLS waited too long to purchase their airline tix. The price doubled from the time they agreed to the game to when they called their travel agent to book the trip. 

Here is another rumor on the situation posted on NorCal board.East was going to pay DLS way and keep all the gate money.Dont think the real story will be known anytime soon 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GloryDays said:

With the high number of returning skill players, do you anticipate looking to a playbook similar to the early '00s?  

Why haven't I seen a hitch pitch recently?

Can I park in the back lot, walking from Carondelet is bullshit.

What number gasser was your favorite?

If someone drank a bottle of wine in the Carondelet parking lot, does that warrant a trip to the confessional? - asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2018 at 9:25 AM, PrepGridiron said:

Bump so we can get more questions to ask coach.

Great work getting this scheduled.  Of course I agree with asking if Glory was the DLS football GOAT, and then mentioning that 98 Elks might have been better anyway…Also be sure to ask what is it about the PrepGrid throwing motion that causes that dying quail, and then following up with an inquiry about where the genetics came from that allow Grids young son to be a much better receiver than his dad is thrower…

Ok, here are some first pass thoughts which somewhat overlap what others have already suggested (refine and use/not use as you see fit – I may think of others over the weekend):

1. What are your thoughts on the overall direction of high school football, including the rise of teams that are essentially collections of all-star players, increasing out of state travel, and the overall professionalization of high school athletics?
  2. Can DLS compete for national championships in the age of the super teams?  Or is DLS now more of a next tier down regional power type team?
  3. MD-17 and SJB-16 scored more points and dominated DLS more than just about any team before.  What does DLS need to do to keep pace with those teams?   Are there limits to what DLS is willing to do in pursuit of competing for state championships and or national championships (e.g. transfers, admissions, financial aid, etc.)? 
  4. The veer has been the bread and butter of DLS football for 4ish decades now.  There are a lot of advantages to this approach as it allows for great teaching progressions, the kids gain confidence by experiencing mastery before moving on, and it lets the playbook open more as the season unfolds.   But now, the D-Lines on the top teams all either know how to stop (MD 17) or quickly learn how to stop (BG-17), the dive, stalling drives, causing turnovers etc..  Can the veer still be effective at the very highest levels of the HS game?  If so, what needs to change?  If not, what are you thinking about instead?
  5. Some have questioned the wisdom of DLS scheduling top tier OOS teams early in the season, while others mock "DLS hyper improvement theory" as a myth.  What are your thoughts on the timing of scheduling the highest end OOS games and DLS hyper improvement theory?  Are there metrics that DLS uses to measure improvement (e.g. it seems like at the end of the season there are more plays where everybody knows their assignment and attempts to execute on it, but that is just intuition on my part, does anybody count this type of thing)?
  6.  DLS football players have long been known for their exemplary personal conduct on the field, on the road, and off the field.  Over the years, it has made it easy to be a fan of the program and these young men as they rarely reflect poorly on the community.  Of course, every team, including DLS, experiences lapses every now and then.  But, in the last three years, there have been a couple of high profile incidents reported in the press as involving DLS football players (one who had left the team well before the occurrence, and one varsity starter, I believe).  Is this just a chance cluster of incidents, or has something changed in the culture at DLS?  What are the team and school doing to prevent some of this going forward?
  7. It must be a challenge following Lad, a man revered as much for his teaching and mentorship of young men as for his coaching.  What do you hope you most emulate from Lad, what do you add to what Lad brought, and what do you most hope the kids who have spent four years with you and DLS football walk away with as they enter the rest of their lives?

Of course I also love the questions about worst loss, best win, and will be interested to see if his responses align with mine.  And finally, I suppose you could ask him what the airspeed velocity of an un-laden swallow is, either European or African, and if that answer provides any insight into Grid's dying quail problem...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/20/2018 at 5:09 PM, 15yds4gibberish said:

Great work getting this scheduled.  Of course I agree with asking if Glory was the DLS football GOAT, and then mentioning that 98 Elks might have been better anyway…Also be sure to ask what is it about the PrepGrid throwing motion that causes that dying quail, and then following up with an inquiry about where the genetics came from that allow Grids young son to be a much better receiver than his dad is thrower…

Ok, here are some first pass thoughts which somewhat overlap what others have already suggested (refine and use/not use as you see fit – I may think of others over the weekend):

1. What are your thoughts on the overall direction of high school football, including the rise of teams that are essentially collections of all-star players, increasing out of state travel, and the overall professionalization of high school athletics?
  2. Can DLS compete for national championships in the age of the super teams?  Or is DLS now more of a next tier down regional power type team?
  3. MD-17 and SJB-16 scored more points and dominated DLS more than just about any team before.  What does DLS need to do to keep pace with those teams?   Are there limits to what DLS is willing to do in pursuit of competing for state championships and or national championships (e.g. transfers, admissions, financial aid, etc.)? 
  4. The veer has been the bread and butter of DLS football for 4ish decades now.  There are a lot of advantages to this approach as it allows for great teaching progressions, the kids gain confidence by experiencing mastery before moving on, and it lets the playbook open more as the season unfolds.   But now, the D-Lines on the top teams all either know how to stop (MD 17) or quickly learn how to stop (BG-17), the dive, stalling drives, causing turnovers etc..  Can the veer still be effective at the very highest levels of the HS game?  If so, what needs to change?  If not, what are you thinking about instead?
  5. Some have questioned the wisdom of DLS scheduling top tier OOS teams early in the season, while others mock "DLS hyper improvement theory" as a myth.  What are your thoughts on the timing of scheduling the highest end OOS games and DLS hyper improvement theory?  Are there metrics that DLS uses to measure improvement (e.g. it seems like at the end of the season there are more plays where everybody knows their assignment and attempts to execute on it, but that is just intuition on my part, does anybody count this type of thing)?
  6.  DLS football players have long been known for their exemplary personal conduct on the field, on the road, and off the field.  Over the years, it has made it easy to be a fan of the program and these young men as they rarely reflect poorly on the community.  Of course, every team, including DLS, experiences lapses every now and then.  But, in the last three years, there have been a couple of high profile incidents reported in the press as involving DLS football players (one who had left the team well before the occurrence, and one varsity starter, I believe).  Is this just a chance cluster of incidents, or has something changed in the culture at DLS?  What are the team and school doing to prevent some of this going forward?
  7. It must be a challenge following Lad, a man revered as much for his teaching and mentorship of young men as for his coaching.  What do you hope you most emulate from Lad, what do you add to what Lad brought, and what do you most hope the kids who have spent four years with you and DLS football walk away with as they enter the rest of their lives?

Of course I also love the questions about worst loss, best win, and will be interested to see if his responses align with mine.  And finally, I suppose you could ask him what the airspeed velocity of an un-laden swallow is, either European or African, and if that answer provides any insight into Grid's dying quail problem...

I seized mid way through that, I promise to finish after medicating heavily. (phenobarbital)

Grand Mal no less.

Regards,

A.A.

• Haha 1