Ohio Playoffs: 4th Round (Semifinals) Predictions, Discussion, Recaps

Coletrain06

Division 1

St. Ignatius(12-1) vs. Olentangy Liberty (13-0) - Iggy 33 Liberty 20

Iggy beat Ed's last week 38-31 in OT. It was their 2nd victory of their rival this season. It was a wild game, with alot of back and forth. Mid 4th Ed's lost their QB Kramer and settled for a tying FG. In OT Iggy scored first to put the pressure on Ed's with their backup QB. On 4th down Ed's threw a great pass to the back of the endzone that was very close but was broken up by and Iggy defender. Game Over

Liberty beat Lorain 24-20 in a great game. Lorain jumped out to an early 12-3 lead on a returned-missed-FG. They traded scores and Liberty ended up 24-20 late in the game. Lorain was able to drive down to the Liberty 14, but were unable to punch it in for a score, and Liberty held on for the win. 

Without thinking too much into this game, this is a game that Iggy should win. Liberty has some good athletes, and Brendon White is a game changer. If Iggy lets Liberty have some momentum, they could get some quick scores. However, I don't see Liberty being able to hang with Iggy's big guys up front. Iggy should be able to run for 5-6 yds a carry if they choose, and I see them wearing Liberty down. 

Pickerington Central (12-1) vs. St. Xavier (8-5) - Pick Central 24  St. X  21

Pick Central beat Wayne 17-14. This game was a true battle. Wayne had a game like Colerain did last season when Colerain lost to Wayne (Wayne had 3 turnovers, and were burned on 2 fake punts.) The scoring went back and forth. Down 14-7 mid 4th, and facing 4th and 2, Pick Central's look-out blocker and signal caller on punts called for a fake punt that went for a large gain. A few plays later Pick Central tied it up 14-14. Toward the end of the game, on 3rd and 5, with Wayne looking to get the ball back, Pick Central's QB ran a simple QB draw and broke some tackles to take it ~ 50 yds down inside the Wayne 5. Pick Central ran the clock down to 2 secs, then brought in their kicker (whom had already missed 2 FG's.) The kicker was clutch and kicked it through for the walk-off win.

St. X had another miraculous comeback win to beat Sycamore 35-28 in OT. Sycamore was up 28-14 with under 3 minutes to go! Another back and forth game early, X, down one score in the 4th pinned Sycamore on their own 1 yd line. Ra'von Bonner then took it the house for a 99 yd TD to put Sycamore up 28-14. Later, Sycamore had a short 4th down near mid-field, and instead of pinning St. X deep, they went for it on a lateral that went terribly wrong and gave St. X the ball with great field position. X scored and went for the onside kick. In a controversial call on the onside kick (still not 100% sure after reading the NFHS rules and watching the replay, but think the refs got it right) X recovered. Sean clifford made another great play and all of sudden X was tied at 28 and headed to OT. In OT X scored first. On 4th down Sycamore's Jake Borman threw up a pass in the endzone which was knocked away by an X defender. Game Over. 

This game is a very, very hard game to call. While I knew Pick Central had the ability to play with Wayne, I just didn't think they'd do it, and figured Wayne would just wear them out in the 2nd half. That didn't happen. X's Sean Clifford is playing incredible football right now, and his ability to make plays with his legs is incredible! He rushed for 171 yds against Sycamore. I have no idea why X keeps starting Wolf and playing him over Clifford. Wolf is a good QB, but healthy Clifford is just on a different level......On the flip side Ra'von Bonner had over 200 yds rushing against the X defense and Sycamore QB Borman had a nice game throwing the ball......St. X has faced two of the best backs in the state the last 2 weeks in Bonner and Caldwell. I don't know if Pick Central has any game breakers like this, but they just faced a defense as good, if not better than X's. I see a close game, but I think X's luck runs out this week, and we see a rematch of the 2011 title game. 

Division 3

Hoban (12-1) vs. Columbus St. Francis DeSales (13-0) - DeSales 20 Hoban 17

Toledo Central Catholic (13-0) vs. Trotwood-Madison (11-2) - TCC 21 Trotwood 14

Division 4

Alter (13-0) vs. Bishop Hartley (11-2) - Alter 24 Hartley 21

Steubenville (12-1) vs. Perry (13-0) - Steubenville 28 Perry 14

10 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Division 1

St. Ignatius(12-1) vs. Olentangy Liberty (13-0)

Pickerington Central (12-1) vs. St. Xavier (8-5)

Division 3

Hoban (12-1) vs. Columbus St. Francis DeSales (13-0)

Toledo Central Catholic (13-0) vs. Trotwood-Madison (11-2)

Division 4

Alter (13-0) vs. Bishop Hartley (11-2)

Steubenville (12-1) vs. Perry (13-0)

Di - I'm going with Iggy & PC

I think X's nine lives are over! xD

17 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Will update when I get a chance.........

Division 3 is absolutely insane. The top 4 teams all made it and is a complete tossup.....and 3 of those 4 teams are top 10 teams in the state, maybe all 4.

All of the D3 teams are legit.  All of them have athletes and play a bunch of kids.  

I said Pickerington Central could upset Huber Heights Wayne.  Watching the game the teams were evenly matched.  I like Ignatius by 9 over Liberty.  Experience at the top will push Ignatius over the top.  I got Central over St. X by 17.  I don't see St. X doing anything against the Central defense.  

In D3 I got DeSales over Hoban by 3 in a battle.  I got Trotwood over Central Catholic by about 10.  Trotwood's rb will be the difference.

6 hours ago, nptb17 said:

I said Pickerington Central could upset Huber Heights Wayne.  Watching the game the teams were evenly matched.  I like Ignatius by 9 over Liberty.  Experience at the top will push Ignatius over the top.  I got Central over St. X by 17.  I don't see St. X doing anything against the Central defense.  

In D3 I got DeSales over Hoban by 3 in a battle.  I got Trotwood over Central Catholic by about 10.  Trotwood's rb will be the difference.

You did say PC could win and also picked LaSalle to lose...... I only questioned the LaSalle pick xD

I have Iggy big and PC also winning.

Like Hoban over DeSales based on their lines but key IMO will be Danny Clark who has had some mediocre games this year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

You did say PC could win and also picked LaSalle to lose...... I only questioned the LaSalle pick xD

I have Iggy big and PC also winning.

Like Hoban over DeSales based on their lines but key IMO will be Danny Clark who has had some mediocre games this year.

That first round game by Lasalle had me going away from them.  Lasalle is going to coast to their 3rd straight title from here.

5 hours ago, nptb17 said:

That first round game by Lasalle had me going away from them.  Lasalle is going to coast to their 3rd straight title from here.

La Salle is the perfect example of a Jekyll and Hyde type team. .....Depends which team shows up. 

I also think they are a team that believes their hype and think like we fans do about coasting through D2........which explains why they looked like dogshit against Christian Brothers TN and Edgewood ( Teams that most thought La Salle would walk right through without breaking a sweat.)