CA State Bowl DI-AA St. Mary's 35 CC 38 F-OT

PrepGridiron

1 hour ago, PrepGridiron said:

Thunder is looking like a genius saying SM should have taken the points with those kicks earlier. 

Points are usually at a premium in these games. I don't know that he'd have made it, but I would have opted for it. Just because he missed one already doesn't mean he misses it again. A 27-yd FG is more than a makeable FG even in HS.

Remember Centennial against DLS last year? How different that game might have played out had they opted to try for points on a few occasions.

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

4th time SM stuffed in red zone

That was the real killer. You just can't drive the field as many times as SM did and not come away with points. CC certainly deserves credit for tightening up and playing better defense in the redzone, but a lot of it was penalties and mistakes on SM's part. Poor situational play calling too.

It was bad enough that the Rams blew multiple opportunities to blow the game open in the 1st half, but the game should have been over once they recovered the fumble inside the 35 w/ 4:58 to go all with a 7 pt lead.. 3 plays later Frampton goes out with a leg injury and the possession flames out at the 20. I don't know what Rubio's range is but a 37-yd attempt isn't exactly a hail mary. If they don't have a kicker with a leg to try that, they need to do a better job finding one. It's a large private school for pete's sake.

At no time during that game did CC look like the better team, but they sure did end up with the W and the title.

1 hour ago, old_e said:

Great game. Cathedral Catholic defense came to play. They're 2-0 vs St Mary's now.

They were the better team the first time around. But not this time, SM just beat themselves.

They blew opportunities to go up multiple scores in the 1st half then did get up 14 in the 2nd half only to repeat what they did in the 1st half by failing to score any points on multiple trips in the redzone after getting that lead.

Another thing I noticed was they stopped going to WR Marcus Aponte, who had double digit receptions and was killing it most the game. He had been clutch all game, but with Frampton out -- they never looked to him. Big mistake.

18 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Coaching decisions costs SM's the game. Take points when they are there in a championship game (geez just watch CC vs Paly in 10').

No killer instinct by SM, they could have put hammer down in 2nd quarter, but they let University hang around and it cost them.

Grear game nonetheless.

Yep. This loss is gonna hang with the kids and the coaches for a while. Games you know you should have won tend to stick with you for a long, long time, especially when everything was at stake.

Think Reno Hightower throwing to Jack Dundee who dropped the game winner against Bakersfield. Except they won't be able to replay this one 13 years later :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

Yep. This loss is gonna hang with the kids and the coaches for a while. Games you know you should have won tend to stick with you for a long, long time, especially when everything was at stake.

Think Reno Hightower throwing to Jack Dundee who dropped the game winner against Bakersfield. Except they won't be able to replay this one 13 years later :D

Lol 80's football movie reference weekend.

Yes, no doubt to me SM was the better team. I just had that feeling watching the second quarter how it was going to cost them in the end. Hell even then they had a two score lead late in the game. Fishy that and they are state champs.

SM has nobody to blame but themselves.  This one is going to sting for a while.  They had the state championship there for the taking and blew it.  Great game to watch but frustrating at the same time.  Both VC and SM had way too many opportunities to seize their games and just did not execute the way state champs should.  Congrats to Madison and CC.  BTW cold weather is a bitch unless your in it for the snow.  Now lets redeem ourselves NorCal and take some games today!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old_e said:

Props to the Don's defense. Sure St Mary's was moving up and down the field with ease but when it came to the red zone, the Don's defense stepped up.

Agreed, but the Rams kept helping them out with avoidable penalties that put them in longer down and distance situations. 2 downs to stop them from making 14 yards is much easier on the defense than 2 downs to make 9.

Great game, but how could SM not kick a field goal in OT?  Loss of Frampton was huge in the red zone.  Checked CalPreps this morning, and saw that they had DO at 86.  That shows the weakness of the computer.  I know I am a one-trick pony boosting the Devil, but a comparison of Folsom/DO shows how unreliable the computer can be, even with common opponents.  Folsom handled DO 42-7, and if they didn't call off the horses at the end of the third, it could have easily been 60-0.  This was not a great Folsom team, but I think they would beat them by 40 today if they played.  Even so, DO is ranked 30 spots higher - go figure.  For NorCal's sake, I hope they bring it home today, but without knowing anything about San Clemente, I'm not optimistic.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DogPile said:

Great game, but how could SM not kick a field goal in OT?  Loss of Frampton was huge in the red zone.  Checked CalPreps this morning, and saw that they had DO at 86.  That shows the weakness of the computer.  I know I am a one-trick pony boosting the Devil, but a comparison of Folsom/DO shows how unreliable the computer can be, even with common opponents.  Folsom handled DO 42-7, and if they didn't call off the horses at the end of the third, it could have easily been 60-0.  This was not a great Folsom team, but I think they would beat them by 40 today if they played.  Even so, DO is ranked 30 spots higher - go figure.  For NorCal's sake, I hope they bring it home today, but without knowing anything about San Clemente, I'm not optimistic.

I don't disagree with Folsom v Del Oro, but Folsom's loss to #2,072 Sacramento is being factored