Olympic Games - Paris

3 hours ago, Norcalnut said:

I think he was referring to winning medal in areas where Americans are traditionally weak at. So in that respect they did “Kick Ass”. If Americans get a medal in the races 1,500 and above then that’s something to celebrate.

This

5 hours ago, Norcalnut said:

Here’s the track and field medal count. How is that not kicking ass?

IMG_0202.jpeg

Nevermind clearly not understanding what he said.  Posting the Medal count doesn't equate to dominating the Distance races.  Which could be easily proven.

Them Bball ladies almost gave me a freaking heart attack.  That was a great game and breaking the Frenchies hearts on back to back days is priceless.  The most dominate team in Olympic history in any sport.  That was a team win in a tough battle.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

USA won gold in every hurdles event, I believe.   💪 

What a 4x400 relay anchor finish! 
Rai Benjamin vs Letsile Tebogo. 

Rai rips a 43.13 for USA gold!  🥇 

The women’s 4x400 relay was over after Sydney’s (2nd leg) 47.7!  🥇 

I was bummed Quincy was left out.  But then again, if he ran the same as he did in semi's US would not have won gold.

38 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

I was bummed Quincy was left out.  But then again, if he ran the same as he did in semi's US would not have won gold.

Yeah, I was glad not to see him in the final. He was not very good in his opportunity.

Honestly it was the right move. He did not earn the chance to run in the final. Just didn't seem ready (yet) for the moment.

• Like 1

Just now, Cossacks said:

Yeah, I was glad not to see him in the final. He was not very good in his opportunity.

Honestly it was the right move. He did not earn the chance to run in the final. Just didn't seem ready (yet) for the moment.

Still though a 16 year old?  Homeboy is gonna be king of his school when he gets back.  Ladies will be lining up to be with a high school Olympian. lol

• Haha 2

The phrase "it's art" is generally overused. Not in this case.

While his late game heroics were incredible, it was one picture from earlier in the matchup that got people talking online. Framed like a painting you'd see in the nearby Louvre in Paris, it shows France's young 7-foot-4 superstar Victor Wembanyama closing out on Curry just after he's released a high-arcing shot.

• Like 1

I've been watching the Olympics since the 80 games in Lake Placid (I was a 9 year old living in FL and the became the biggest hockey fan ever for a few weeks). 

For me, that was my favorite Games ever, just so many great moments for the US and for sport in general.

Early on you had men's gymnastics with the dramatic way to secure a bronze only to be outdone by our women's rugby  team winning the bronze on a last second try. Watching the families and in particular Fred Richard's dad's reaction during the Team contest was outstanding.  NBC did a great job with the families' reactions.  

The 100M was everything you could want in a race, swimming was compelling, and successful for the US  and we had a great story with the home town French guy gong crazy.  Katie Ledecky setting records as expected.

Great to see Simone Biles back and the ladies take Gold, but not surprising.

Golf had a great finish with Sheffler and Joker winning the tennis medal, while not unexpected was great.  

Cole Hocker coming back in the 1500 with all the hype going for the Norwegian and dude from GB?!?  Awesome!!!

Quincy Hall?  Superb!

Not great for the US, but the 4x400 meter mixed race was great theater.

Gaby Thomas smoking the 200M field?

The numerous proposals were cool.  

Some of the venues were great, but the beach volleyball by the Eiffel Tower.  Unbelievable.

What can you say about the basketball gold medal games.  I don't know if I've ever seen someone do what Steph Curry did down the stretch.  I probably have but the list is short.  Loved that the French player's foot was just over the three point line but what a cruel ending, good for us though.  :)

A few other things that were memorrable and awesome to me.

The Turkish shooter and the resulting memes.

The North and South Korean athletes getting a selfie.

The Chinese athlete looking at the two Italians on the medal stand biting their medals and copying them.  

One of the coolest to me was the Brazilian and Canadian beach volleyball players chirping at each other in the Gold medal game. It grows heated adn there's a timeout.  The DJ starts playing Imagine by John Lennon.  The players can't help but smile and then the crowd starts singing along.  

Such a great two weeks and sad to see it go, but we get EPL this Friday and the kid's first football scrimmage is Friday as well!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Some might find this controversial but it is the truth.  African American athletes have been so dominate that the powers to be put in rules to slow them and in many cases stop them.  Now they are contemplating raising the 400M Hurdles height due to Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone obliterating records.  Correct me if I am wrong what other athletes have faced this other than African Americans.  Here is a list.  

Wilt Chamberlain: His success near the basket led to the widening of the lane, offensive goaltending rules, and the banning of inbound passes over the backboard. Chamberlain, always a poor free throw shooter, had the ability to leap from the foul line, which led to the ruling that a free-throw shooter must keep his feet behind the line.

Abdul Jabbar:  Once upon a time, the "Lew Alcindor Rule" disallowed dunks in the NCAA and high school leagues.  This caused David Thompson to invent the Alley oop.  devised a way to achieve the accuracy of a dunk without touching the rim. This paved the way for the alley-oop.

Bob Hayes:  After Hayes' Olympic performance he went on to the NFL, where his speed revolutionized the game. His speed alone forced the NFL to change their defenses just to cover him. Zone Defense added to stop him

Mel Blount:  The NFL ultimately designed a rule, which some called the “Mel Blount Rule,” decreeing that no defensive back could bump an offensive player outside of five .

Jack Johnson:  Arrested under the Mann Act.  Attacked by the Gov't after becoming champ

Jim Brown:  Brown was so dominant in the game, that lacrosse rules were changed requiring a lacrosse player to keep their stick in constant motion when carrying the ball (instead of holding it close to his body). There is currently no rule in lacrosse that requires a player to keep their stick in motion

Emmit Smith:  He scored so much 🤔 The Emmitt Smith Rule
Rule: It is unsportsmanlike conduct for a player to remove his helmet on the field during a touchdown celebration or confrontation. Source: Smith, the Cowboys' eventual Hall of Fame running back, routinely took off his helmet in such situations.

Now this isn't some damn coincidence.  Again if I am wrong show me.   And now Her dominance is being discussed as possible rule changes for her sport.  I haven't heard about possibly changing Pole vaulting.  That dude breaks a record getting in bed 😁

Deacon Jones: Jones used the maneuver (Head Slap) so effectively that by 1974 almost every lineman in the NFL was copying him, and by 1977 the NFL made it illegal.

Shannon Sharpe's Comments:  

"They are raising women's hurdles heights after Sydney's six times breaking the record. Hold on, whoa! She's broken the record six times, what y'all going to do with that pole vault record? Mondo Duplantis. He has broken the world record nine times, you see?" he asked

OchoCinco:  "Do anything to make sure to put us at a disadvantage. Matter of fact, let them raise the hurdles. You know, she gonna come back and do? Adjust, adapt and break it again," he said.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Some might find this controversial but it is the truth.  African American athletes have been so dominate that the powers to be put in rules to slow them and in many cases stop them.  Now they are contemplating raising the 400M Hurdles height due to Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone obliterating records.  Correct me if I am wrong what other athletes have faced this other than African Americans.  Here is a list.  

Wilt Chamberlain: His success near the basket led to the widening of the lane, offensive goaltending rules, and the banning of inbound passes over the backboard. Chamberlain, always a poor free throw shooter, had the ability to leap from the foul line, which led to the ruling that a free-throw shooter must keep his feet behind the line.

Abdul Jabbar:  Once upon a time, the "Lew Alcindor Rule" disallowed dunks in the NCAA and high school leagues.  This caused David Thompson to invent the Alley oop.  devised a way to achieve the accuracy of a dunk without touching the rim. This paved the way for the alley-oop.

Bob Hayes:  After Hayes' Olympic performance he went on to the NFL, where his speed revolutionized the game. His speed alone forced the NFL to change their defenses just to cover him. Zone Defense added to stop him

Mel Blount:  The NFL ultimately designed a rule, which some called the “Mel Blount Rule,” decreeing that no defensive back could bump an offensive player outside of five .

Jack Johnson:  Arrested under the Mann Act.  Attacked by the Gov't after becoming champ

Jim Brown:  Brown was so dominant in the game, that lacrosse rules were changed requiring a lacrosse player to keep their stick in constant motion when carrying the ball (instead of holding it close to his body). There is currently no rule in lacrosse that requires a player to keep their stick in motion

Rule: It is unsportsmanlike conduct for a player to remove his helmet on the field during a touchdown celebration or confrontation. Source: Smith, the Cowboys' eventual Hall of Fame running back, routinely took off his helmet in such situations.

Now this isn't some damn coincidence.  Again if I am wrong show me.   And now Her dominance is being discussed as possible rule changes for her sport.  I haven't heard about possibly changing Pole vaulting.  That dude breaks a record getting in bed 😁

Deacon Jones: Jones used the maneuver (Head Slap) so effectively that by 1974 almost every lineman in the NFL was copying him, and by 1977 the NFL made it illegal.

"They are raising women's hurdles heights after Sydney's six times breaking the record. Hold on, whoa! She's broken the record six times, what y'all going to do with that pole vault record? Mondo Duplantis. He has broken the world record nine times, you see?" he asked

OchoCinco:  "Do anything to make sure to put us at a disadvantage. Matter of fact, let them raise the hurdles. You know, she gonna come back and do? Adjust, adapt and break it again," he said.

3 of those guys are Florida boys. Deacon Jones, Emmitt and Bob Hayes 

Florida always making the rest of the world have to adjust 😝

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2024 at 4:09 PM, DevilDog said:

The alley oop was Bill Walton . David Thompson may have done it after Bill, but Bill was the poster for the alley oop . Everything else looks to be good

3 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

The alley oop was Bill Walton . David Thompson may have done it after Bill, but Bill was the poster for the alley oop . Everything else looks to be good

Walton was a great player but Alley Oops 😬.  This Brother known as Skywalker.  I present his case.

The origins of the alley-oop are debated, but some say that David Thompson and Monte Towe of NC State invented the play in 1971 while playing pickup games. During one scrimmage, Towe lobbed the ball toward the basket, and Thompson leaped to catch it and dunk it. According to Thompson, Coach Norm Sloan immediately stopped practice and said, "That looks pretty good. Let's put that in". Thompson's leaping ability, nicknamed "Skywalker", and the alley-oop became a focal point of NC State's offense, helping Thompson become a three-time ACC Player of the Year and a national champion in 1974

You can argue against him.  But I don't see where Walton is part of this.  Skywalker is clearly linked to it.   The Alley Oop in Bball is Al Tucker and Thompson.  Bill Walton couldn't clear a credit card.  Just tall as hell.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Walton was a great player but Alley Oops 😬.  This Brother known as Skywalker.  I present his case.

The origins of the alley-oop are debated, but some say that David Thompson and Monte Towe of NC State invented the play in 1971 while playing pickup games. During one scrimmage, Towe lobbed the ball toward the basket, and Thompson leaped to catch it and dunk it. According to Thompson, Coach Norm Sloan immediately stopped practice and said, "That looks pretty good. Let's put that in". Thompson's leaping ability, nicknamed "Skywalker", and the alley-oop became a focal point of NC State's offense, helping Thompson become a three-time ACC Player of the Year and a national champion in 1974

You can argue against him.  But I don't see where Walton is part of this.  Skywalker is clearly linked to it.   The Alley Oop in Bball is Al Tucker and Thompson.  Bill Walton couldn't clear a credit card.  Just tall as hell.  

Thompson may have been more sensational when he did it due to the fact he was 6'3 with a 44 vertical. Walton catching them over the rim and dropping them in was day in day out.  Walton while at ucla was very athletic for a big . He had a great vertical himself, and at 6' 11'' with those long arms  . His senior season he played most of it with a broken back, and then the foot and ankle problems started afterward in the pro's, as well as the knees . 

5 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Thompson may have been more sensational when he did it due to the fact he was 6'3 with a 44 vertical. Walton catching them over the rim and dropping them in was day in day out.  Walton while at ucla was very athletic for a big . He had a great vertical himself, and at 6' 11'' with those long arms  . His senior season he played most of it with a broken back, and then the foot and ankle problems started afterward in the pro's, as well as the knees . 

No doubt he was great. His game wasn't above the Rim. And i know what you are referencing.  All the big men did that in 71 - 74.   Thompson even dunked once to please the fans with the Alley Oop thugh it was illegal.  By the way I was a huge UCLA fan back then.   Walton is an all time great NCAA Center.  

• Like 1