What Schools are playing the most Maxpreps Top 25 teams this year

SJR89

11 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Trying to emulate Omaha Vol for lameness and unoriginality is certainly a choice.

My critiques must be pretty cutting if this is all you've got in response.

I think there is bias in every poll. Nobody knows who #1 is right now, nobody may know at the end of the year. I don’t think MD at #1 is egregious but I admit my bias. I can’t rank California correctly so I wont pretend that I can get it right across the country. The college polls suck too. USC was #6 in the ESPN preseason rankings last year and ended up not being a top 25 team. I don’t know what the fix is. If there’s a fixation on Mater Dei, a few OOS teams beating them would certainly destroy the “myth”. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

This is actually a really good point which is why HurricaneNick has no response.

Defending champion in your poll and has the best offensive line in the country, with five P4 commitments, and they're preseason number.......2?

Why?

There's an obsession with Mater Dei. There's an obsession with the Trinity League. There's an obsession with the MD-SJB rivalry.

Well The Bishop returns a whopping 15 starters off their myth National Championship team.

8-offense

7-defense

They're replacing those 7 lost with 3* and 4* prospects..... point being it's the same damn team as last year and they may actually be upgraded in some positions. 

Just irresponsible polling. I could understand if The Bishop returned 6 or 7 starters.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

It’s actually just a fact. MD has played a national schedule in that time frame and has beaten everyone else. Maybe the most impressive OOS wins during that time span? Ill let you be the judge.

The most overrated major program went 3,000 miles across the country and beat you at home last year. Fraudulent for sure. Seems like what you really need is for an OOS team to knock off Mater Dei. Good luck! 

It's worth pointing out that, since Bryce Young graduated, MD's OOS resume is a bit underwhelming...given the fact that said resume is said to be the very reason we're not supposed to question their ratings.  Creekside, some of the Utah and Hawaii teams etc aren't mindblowing. The Utah teams and the Hawaii teams often have very similar demographic and athletic traits (lots of physically imposing Samoan types; average quickness). It's the type of team expected to be found in Florida (quick, hungry, chip on shoulder) many of us are intrigued to see MD play. How might they fare against the top team in Florida when their QB is NOT a Heisman-winning, #1 overall NFL draft choice?

*The Duncanville game from 2021 has the feel of an outlier. Duncanville may rely much more on transfers, and coming out of the plague year may have left them less prepared and and led to an odd result. August games sometimes allow well-prepared teams to hide weak areas and produce results that wouldn't happen once a season's worth of film is available.

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

Well The Bishop returns a whopping 15 starters off their myth National Championship team.

8-offense

7-defense

They're replacing those 7 lost with 3* and 4* prospects..... point being it's the same damn team as last year and they may actually be upgraded in some positions. 

Just irresponsible polling. I could understand if The Bishop returned 6 or 7 starters.

This is the sort of data which is especially helpful in projecting a team's fortunes. Phil Steele guide stuff. We need it for all the teams worth considering for rankings. If the 15 is accurate, and they've found a QB who can find rhythm with his receivers, they should be #1. Their defense was nothing amazing, but the offense was pretty amazing. STA and MD may have to hope the QB play is iffy, and/or the defense is again average. Playing on the road with an unsettled QB position is probably the only question mark for BG.

17 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Not 1 thread about pre-season rankings from any MD alums on here. 

Exactly. I find this thread ridiculous. Pre-season rankings mean nothing. It only matters where we finish. Based on the schedule of the consensus pre-season top teams, the MNC, and I want to highlight MYTHICAL, will be determined on the field instead of on internet chat boards. I would actually prefer to not be pre-season #1 and instead be hungry and lurking, rather than having the target on our back. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Exactly. I find this thread ridiculous. Pre-season rankings mean nothing. It only matters where we finish.

So much dumb in just this one sentence.

So because no Mater Dei alum has posted a preseason poll then therefore it's not a proper subject?

Huh?

Then as if that wasn't embarrassing enough, you claim that preseason rankings mean nothing and that it only matters where you finish.

As if one has nothing to do with the other!

Mater Dei has won 4 MNCs since 2017. In 3 of the 4 seasons, they were *also* preseason #1. In the one season they weren't, St. John Bosco was.

These feverish responses by the Mater Dei crew serve as a perfect example how those with privilege, whatever it may be, are totally clueless how much said privilege benefits them.

2 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

So much dumb in just this one sentence.

So because no Mater Dei alum has posted a preseason poll then therefore it's not a proper subject?

Huh?

Then as if that wasn't embarrassing enough, you claim that preseason rankings mean nothing and that it only matters where you finish.

As if one has nothing to do with the other!

Mater Dei has won 4 MNCs since 2017. In 3 of the 4 seasons, they were *also* preseason #1. In the one season they weren't, St. John Bosco was.

These feverish responses by the Mater Dei crew serve as a perfect example how those with privilege, whatever it may be, are totally clueless how much said privilege benefits them.

Let me rephrase...... they mean nothing to me. Pre-season rankings are obviously important to others. To each their own.

I will refrain from opining here and instead continue being amused by MD living rent-free in peoples' heads.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Exactly. I find this thread ridiculous. Pre-season rankings mean nothing. It only matters where we finish. Based on the schedule of the consensus pre-season top teams, the MNC, and I want to highlight MYTHICAL, will be determined on the field instead of on internet chat boards. I would actually prefer to not be pre-season #1 and instead be hungry and lurking, rather than having the target on our back. 

Exactly!…. On 9/6 BG plays MD, we will see who the better team is on the field, so who cares where those teams are ranked in opinion polls…. 

So Either MD wins and the Poll was Correct or BG wi s and the Poll was off by 1 spot…

Who cares?…. What does it matter?… A whole bunch of bitching about nothing,.,. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The issues with preseason ratings:

1) Many truly believe their ratings are correct, and are mostly unwilling to make the sorts of adjustments that admit the initial ratings were way off

2) There isn't a sufficient number of interstate games to draw conclusions about teams with certainty. Mater Dei starting at #1 means the Monarchs won't have to beat a single Florida team to automatically be anointed as better than ALL of the Florida teams. Selective inclusion (or exclusion) of games played with different teams in different seasons ends up being used to draw conclusions about current teams.

The other thing that happens is teams who start WAY off the radar don't have any way to climb all the way up the rankings. Just as "climb" implies, these teams are starting, not from the same 0-0 place as everyone else, but from below.

Armwood had a really good, but not elite, team in 2023. They return most of their best players. Sumner- a new and nice high school in the area- assembled an impressive array of talent and was going to be really good (top 10 in the state potential). Sumner abruptly fired their popular head coach. After spring football, ALL of the top players transferred, and most all went to Armwood. The result is Armwood is really, really loaded. Few realize it. And, when it comes to national ratings, we can be certain of two things:

1) Bishop Gorman's win over Chaminade from multiple seasons ago WILL be used to justify the Gaels being ranked ahead of Chaminade and everyone else in Florida below Chaminade

2) Armwood's win AT Bishop Gorman multiple seasons ago will NOT be factored into Armwood's (lack of) national ranking.

Either you consider both, or you consider neither, if fairness and accuracy is of concern. We know that won't be what happens...

18 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Exactly!…. On 9/6 BG plays MD, we will see who the better team is on the field, so who cares where those teams are ranked in opinion polls…. 

It portrays a bias that we've noticed for several years.

It's rare that said teams would actually play during that season. All it takes is for someone else to be #2 in this scenario and Mater Dei has a firewall against any competition.

33 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

It portrays a bias that we've noticed for several years.

It's rare that said teams would actually play during that season. All it takes is for someone else to be #2 in this scenario and Mater Dei has a firewall against any competition.

Again…. Who Cares…. What you are talking about is a “Competition” for someone’s “Opinion” of who the “Mythical” National Champion will or won’t be…. 🤣

Pretty Lame since Mythical = Not Real…. 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, RedZone said:

The Bishop should be Preseason #1 this year.  ... they are the defending myth National Champion and absolutely stacked yet again. It's pretty disrespectful not having them Preseason #1 truthfully 

Gorman has 10 D1  commits already just in the Senior class alone.

It shouldn't always have to be Mater Haze Preseason #1. When things become a given what's really the large point to it all?

T25 071524.jpg

3 hours ago, badrouter said:

It's worth pointing out that, since Bryce Young graduated, MD's OOS resume is a bit underwhelming...given the fact that said resume is said to be the very reason we're not supposed to question their ratings.  Creekside, some of the Utah and Hawaii teams etc aren't mindblowing. The Utah teams and the Hawaii teams often have very similar demographic and athletic traits (lots of physically imposing Samoan types; average quickness). It's the type of team expected to be found in Florida (quick, hungry, chip on shoulder) many of us are intrigued to see MD play. How might they fare against the top team in Florida when their QB is NOT a Heisman-winning, #1 overall NFL draft choice?

*The Duncanville game from 2021 has the feel of an outlier. Duncanville may rely much more on transfers, and coming out of the plague year may have left them less prepared and and led to an odd result. August games sometimes allow well-prepared teams to hide weak areas and produce results that wouldn't happen once a season's worth of film is available.

In the last 2 years

Bishop Gorman, Duncanville, SFA wins all on the road. (They can only play teams that are willing to play them, still looking for another game this year)  Ill let you figure out what Florida team has better OOS wins.

They also play Centennial and SJB 2-3 times a year. Those are decent teams. Don’t deserve to be anywhere near the top 25 though! 

You believe every Florida team gives MD trouble. I don’t hate the bias, just admit that it’s there. A couple years ago you were saying that Lakeland wouldn’t allow Mater Dei to move the ball and then they went out and lost to Lake Gibson twice. I don’t think its egregious to say that 2021 MD was better than 2021 Lake Gibson. St John Bosco beat arguably the best team in Florida last year on the road with a no star quarterback that is going Ivy League. (heisman #1 overall pick QB comment) But we also know if Bosco played a Florida team that is quick, hungry, chip on shoulder, they would struggle. STA was simply too silver spoon. 

Also, Mater Dei was inked to go to Miami Central last year. Central backed out to play in Vegas on ESPN. Not hating on taking a free trip to Vegas at all, but we could have finally seen MD go down to a fast, hungry, chip on shoulder team from Florida. I guess we’ll have to wait to see that happen. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

They’re going to lose it when they find the posts by both of us saying that state titles are more important than mythical ones. Mythicals are nothing but an opinion from some guy on his computer. States are won on the field. Seems they really want mythical titles. Those are important in states like Florida and Nevada when you can play literally nobody on your way to a title. They should just beat Mater Dei if they’re so tired of seeing them at #1. Simple. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, badrouter said:

1) Bishop Gorman's win over Chaminade from multiple seasons ago WILL be used to justify the Gaels being ranked ahead of Chaminade and everyone else in Florida below Chaminade

2) Armwood's win AT Bishop Gorman multiple seasons ago will NOT be factored into Armwood's (lack of) national ranking.

I agree that there is west coast bias in maxpreps rankings

But

One of these is a 35 point win from 2022 and one of them is a 3 point win from 2011.  

16 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

In the last 2 years

Bishop Gorman, Duncanville, SFA wins all on the road. Ill let you figure out what Florida team has better OOS wins. 

Duncanville was in 2021 which, by my calculation, was 3 years ago. I would've let you figure out math but that would've been a mistake.

It's one great win and a bunch of jokes, honestly.

These are, in fact, Mater Dei's OOS wins in the last two years:

West, UT (9-3, #10 in Utah)

Bishop Gorman, NV (14-1, #1 in Nevada)

Mililani, HI (7-5, #3 in Hawaii)

Bingham, UT (6-6, #9 in Utah)

Creekside, GA (13-2, #16 in Georgia)

Kahuku, HI (12-2, #1 in Hawaii)

St. Frances Academy, MD (5-6, #4 in Maryland)

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

St John Bosco beat arguably the best team in Florida last year on the road with a no star quarterback that is going Ivy League. 

I don't know a single person who argued it.

But I'm interacting with a guy who thinks 2021 was two years ago.

2 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Duncanville was in 2021 which, by my calculation, was 3 years ago. I would've let you figure out math but that would've been a mistake.

It's one great win and a bunch of jokes, honestly.

These are, in fact, Mater Dei's OOS wins in the last two years:

West, UT (9-3, #10 in Utah)

Bishop Gorman, NV (14-1, #1 in Nevada)

Mililani, HI (7-5, #3 in Hawaii)

Bingham, UT (6-6, #9 in Utah)

Creekside, GA (13-2, #16 in Georgia)

Kahuku, HI (12-2, #1 in Hawaii)

St. Frances Academy, MD (5-6, #4 in Maryland)

Which team from Florida has a better resume in that time period kid?