MaxPreps Preseason top 25

5 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Of course the transfers are not hand picked. Because you said so!!! Samples definitely isn’t getting the kids he wants on campus! They just somehow show up! Give me a break. 

Samples is getting most of his players into the system in middle school by open enrollment.  He doesn’t get too many varsity level transfers 

Just now, Horsefly said:

Samples is getting his players into the system in middle school by open enrollment.  He doesn’t get too many varsity level transfers 

Makes sense. Didn’t know DV had open enrollment. I remember when Mater Dei had a heavy transfer class in 2016 and that was a big deal. Now the transfer numbers are very low and the kids come in at the beginning of their freshman year and it’s still a problem Lol. Whatever Samples is doing is working. He has that thing rolling right now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Makes sense. Didn’t know DV had open enrollment. I remember when Mater Dei had a heavy transfer class in 2016 and that was a big deal. Now the transfer numbers are very low and the kids come in at the beginning of their freshman year and it’s still a problem Lol. Whatever Samples is doing is working. He has that thing rolling right now.

Yep I believe our top programs are all open enrollment (at some capacity) : north shore, Desoto and Duncanville. North Crowley too which is why I think they could be the next top program 

• Like 1

My $0.02 on this discussion or at least what I think the discussion is.  Different schools and systems and states and locations have their advantages.  In Texas(talking public school), you are going to have a dedicated athletic period, resources and facilities at schools that rival some colleges and unheard of in other states, full time coaches, alignment through the middle school programs(many cases), a lot of community support, access to a plethora of personal and outside trainers and a culture that supports the teams.

Those things are helpful and advantages over some other states and schools.

In CA, some of that is there, but the private schools have the ability to compete at the highest level.  By nature, they are not bound to a geographical limitation and several have been able to capitalize on that.  While many Texans will admit the transfer situation isn't as wholesome and regulated as purported it is different than the system that has benefitted some CA powers.

I think in this discussion several things can be true at the same time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Of course the transfers are not hand picked. Because you said so!!! Samples definitely isn’t getting the kids he wants on campus! They just somehow show up! Give me a break. 

There are about 40 4️ and 5️ players right now in the class of 2025 and 2026 in the Dallas area that don’t attend Duncanville or DeSoto 🤷🏻‍♀️

1 hour ago, SeaShells21 said:

There are about 40 4️ and 5️ players right now in the class of 2025 and 2026 in the Dallas area that don’t attend Duncanville or DeSoto 🤷🏻‍♀️

Not sure what you’re trying to get at. I never said Duncanville has *all* of the talent. Mater Dei doesn’t have all the talent either. Both of those schools are loaded and have their guys. That’s why they’re both dominating. You can laugh if you want,  but MD has turned down many transfers in the last 5-6 years. If you don’t believe me you can ask @Bodysurf @MD87 who know first hand info 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pied said:

My $0.02 on this discussion or at least what I think the discussion is.  Different schools and systems and states and locations have their advantages.  In Texas(talking public school), you are going to have a dedicated athletic period, resources and facilities at schools that rival some colleges and unheard of in other states, full time coaches, alignment through the middle school programs(many cases), a lot of community support, access to a plethora of personal and outside trainers and a culture that supports the teams.

Those things are helpful and advantages over some other states and schools.

In CA, some of that is there, but the private schools have the ability to compete at the highest level.  By nature, they are not bound to a geographical limitation and several have been able to capitalize on that.  While many Texans will admit the transfer situation isn't as wholesome and regulated as purported it is different than the system that has benefitted some CA powers.

I think in this discussion several things can be true at the same time.

Agree 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HurricaneNick said:

Not sure what you’re trying to get at. I never said Duncanville has *all* of the talent. Mater Dei doesn’t have all the talent either. Both of those schools are loaded and have their guys. That’s why they’re both dominating. You can laugh if you want,  but MD has turned down many transfers in the last 5-6 years. If you don’t believe me you can ask @Bodysurf @MD87 who know first hand info 

It would have been nice to have Kendall Milton and Logan Loya on the team.
After the Dollars and Criddell embarrassment, which pissed off a lot of MD alumni, there was a real crack down and we turned down a number of transfers, and we still do today. There are still some transfers but not nearly as much as the other schools in the Trinity League, Cen10, Rancho Cuc, etc.

I think people get pissed because some the transfers that we do get are difference makers. Quality over quantity! 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mr. Football said:

There is a difference between the two!

A fellow Texan that doesn’t have his head in the sand acknowledged that kids are getting on campus through the open enrollment programs in addition to the transfers. Theres a reason for Duncanvilles recent success. It’s not a secret. You can cry homegrown and holier than thou all you want. Duncanvilles football team is not your local neighborhood team. All I’ve been saying. 

46 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

But 7 of them are in the top 50.  😂

No one has ever heard me say MD doesn’t have an embarrassment of riches talent wise. I just think some of the claims are overblown because there are years like the 23 class where MD had 1 kid ranked in the states top 50. She said there are 40 studs in the 25 & 26 classes in all of DFW that don’t go to DV or DS. The same can be said for out here, So Florida, Georgia, etc. Only so many spots on the field. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Cen10 has familiarity with MD and Bosco, but being a perennial top 25 program themselves they’re still 0-8 vs Bosco/MD since 2017 with 5 of those losses being blowouts. 

so what is the major factor in this losing streak to those programs coaching or talent? 

Talent

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

I think people get pissed because some the transfers that we do get are difference makers. Quality over quantity! 

Unquestionably, MD 's reputation among, and influence on, the pipeline of players prior to high school is as big a factor now, if not bigger, than transfers.  They are getting more highly capable talent as freshmen than everyone else and it's become self sustaining albeit not quite as "organic" as MD fans will lead you to believe.   It is what it is, but it forces any team that wants to compete for a title to complement their rosters with transfers.  

On 7/15/2024 at 5:22 PM, SeaShells21 said:

2008:

Cypress Bay (Fl.) 6 - Katy 31

2009:

Cypress Bay (Fl.) 0 - S.T. Aquinas 36

2010:

Skyline 3  -  S.T. Aquinas (Fl.) 31  

Skyline (Tx.) 0 - DeSoto 38

2010:

Plant (Fl.) 17 - Abilene (Tx.) 27

Plant (Fl.) 7 - St. Thomas Aquinas 29

2014:

IMG Academy 69 - Prestonwood (Tx.) 36

Bishop Dunne (Tx.) 42 - Prestonwood 10

2015:

Euless Trinity 26 - De La Salle 21

Euless Trinity 42 - North Shore 32

Cen10nial 21 - De La Salle 28

2015:

Allen (Tx.) 56 - Viera 20

St. Thomas Aquinas 41 - Viera 10

2015:

DeSoto 29 - IMG Academy 47

DeSoto 26 - Arlington Martin (Tx.) 46

2019:

Duncanville 35 - St John’s 14

IMG Academy 35 - St. John’s 20

Duncanville 17 - North Shore 34 [2019]

2020:

Duncanville 14 - IMG Academy 41

2021:

Westfield (TX) 27 - North Shore 21

Duncanville 10 - North Shore 17 [9 other teams that North Shore played scored more than Duncanville did.]

C.E. King (TX) 0 - North Shore 17

Duncanville 3 - Mater Dei 45 

Allen 20 vs. Atascocita 41 [2021]

Allen 14 vs. Carroll 47 [2021] 1:50

2022:

Allen 14 - St John Bosco 52

Allen 7 - Guyer (Tx.) 49 [End of 3rd]

DeSoto 7 - St. Frances 47

DeSoto 10 - Duncanville 41 [4:36 | 4th]

Bishop Gorman 56 - Liberty 14

Atascocita 45 - Liberty (NV.) 8

Pittsburg (CA.) 30 - Liberty 2

2023:

East St. Louis 13 - St. Frances 7

East St. Louis 13 - Atascocita 43

Is there really that much difference between the coaching at power privates and Texas publics?

Huh?

3 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Huh?

A claim was made stating power private coaching was superior to that of Texas coaching because of the recent blowouts scores.

My response is to point out the years of a Texas coach matching what a power private coach did to the same Texas team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

A down year by Mater Dei’s standards the last several years talent-wise is about equal or a little over what the state championship team in Texas would have.

It doesn't really matter about Open Enrollment or Private..... especially with Charter Schools these days. 

That said .....

If California implemented a new rule requiring Public and  Private schools to play with players from their own "hometown" Mater Haze would be #5,000 in the nation.

Mater Haze is getting absolutely no help from Santa Ana,California> population 310,000. One of the worst football cities in the nation.

Mater Haze should probably move their campus to Los Angeles and stop all the confusion. 😄

• Confused 1

I'm starting to see why people are big on North Crowley. I hadn't been paying too much attention to them, but if they keep it up, they really could be the next Dville or Desoto.

I think most people will acknowledge that only 4 or 5 teams really matter when you're talking about a MNC. Kinda takes the fun out of everything, but whatever 🤷‍♂️

Texas teams aren't exactly pure and wholesome when it comes to transfers. One Katy kid somehow ended up transferring to Desoto. Desoto ain't exactly a few minutes down the street. The Eagles also got another transfer from out of state, although he might not play much this year.

I think we need to accept the fact that the pure days of high school football competition are mostly over and make peace with it. Maybe at the lower classifications it can still be a thing......maybe.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RedZone said:

It doesn't really matter about Open Enrollment or Private..... especially with Charter Schools these days. 

That said .....

If California implemented a new rule requiring Public and  Private schools to play with players from their own "hometown" Mater Haze would be #5,000 in the nation.

Mater Haze is getting absolutely no help from Santa Ana, California> population 310,000. One of the worst football cities in the nation.

Mater Haze should probably move their campus to Los Angeles and stop all the confusion. 😄

Then people could say yeah, but they're from Los Angeles. 

petty-ahhh.gif

5 minutes ago, Champa said:

I'm starting to see why people are big on North Crowley. I hadn't been paying too much attention to them, but if they keep it up, they really could be the next Dville or Desoto.

I think most people will acknowledge that only 4 or 5 teams really matter when you're talking about a MNC. Kinda takes the fun out of everything, but whatever 🤷‍♂️

Texas teams aren't exactly pure and wholesome when it comes to transfers. One Katy kid somehow ended up transferring to Desoto. Desoto ain't exactly a few minutes down the street. The Eagles also got another transfer from out of state, although he might not play much this year.

I think we need to accept the fact that the pure days of high school football competition are mostly over and make peace with it. Maybe at the lower classifications it can still be a thing......maybe.

Louisiana football is about as pure as you can get these days. We have some that try to beat the system in place, but they get busted eventually. The entire state is under a microscope.

Some teams may pick up a transfer here and there (not a big deal), but there's definitely NO roster raiding going on every off season. Absolutely ZERO teams picking up 10 to 15 transfers a year and the rest of it.

There's no arms race going on here. Everyone has a little talent down on the Bayou. 😂

Just the way it is.

55 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Louisiana football is about as pure as you can get these days. We have some that try to beat the system in place, but they get busted eventually. The entire state is under a microscope.

Some teams may pick up a transfer here and there (not a big deal), but there's definitely NO roster raiding going on every off season. Absolutely ZERO teams picking up 10 to 15 transfers a year and the rest of it.

There's no arms race going on here. Everyone has a little talent down on the Bayou. 😂

Just the way it is.

After all that’s been said on this thread you had to add the most bullshit nothing to the conversation. Louisiana was never in the conversation because no one other than yourself give a fuck. Learn to read a room.

• Haha 1