MaxPreps Preseason top 25

23 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

You know this answer. It doesn’t matter because if a staff wants a kid to play there they're going to figure it out 99% of the time. Anywhere in the country. This homegrown only notion is foolish.  Kids should go wherever they want to go. It’s high school football. It’s just not that serious. 

Speaking of public schools - Some kids live in terrible areas where their home schools are underfunded, have terrible structure, poor athletics, etc. are we going to be upset if Samples or Logan or whoever figures out a way to get him into school? If any grown man has an issue with that they need to re-evaluate some things. 

When I watched SLC and HP at Jerry World the night before the MD game, an SLC dad was open about how important the transfers were for SLC to get to the state title game a year before. Those kids got to go to school in Southlake, train inside incredible facilities, and have coach Dodge as a reference in their back pocket for the rest of their lives. No brainer. 

I’m just saying there’s a difference between the LA Metro:

IMG_3842.thumb.jpeg.de66b2faaecaf5dc3b1e630edec80aa4.jpeg

Orange County: 

IMG_3839.thumb.jpeg.4223ca5615de26e96f2b01fea8d1788e.jpeg

and the Santa Ana Unified School District where Mater Dei High School would be zoned if it were a Texas public. [The Tan] 

IMG_3841.thumb.jpeg.0eef6b42eea5d8c0c8de30502025efa4.jpeg

Even if they are capable of just figuring it out; I was only curious as to how much area, if any, the two rosters’ home accommodations span in relation to the school attendance zones that they are playing at | and if, at all, that differs to the Texas powers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

They beat Bosco in ‘14 and ‘15 (before Bosco went super turbo on talent) what was the 3d win since 2014? 

They only beat them in 2014, 2015.  Came very close in 2016.  BTW, SJB was super turbo in 2013.  16-0 including beating De La Salle for the state title.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

They beat Bosco in ‘14 and ‘15 (before Bosco went super turbo on talent) what was the 3d win since 2014? 

Bosco in 15 was #1 in nation. They were top tier .  I may have mistaken Cen10 for servite a few seasons ago now that I think about it . My bad . But look at last season in playoffs, Cen10 almost beat Bosco again on a failed play at the 2 yd line . Point is, you don't need IMG talent to beat these teams, or at least compete real competitively. I just think the whole argument of saying  "they have more talent than us "  is a copout .  Md has had a number of close games in the past few yrs by far less talented teams overall .

1 hour ago, SeaShells21 said:

The L.A. Metro is 4,850 square miles.

Orange County is 792 square miles.

Santa Ana Unified School District is 24 square miles.

If it’s not too much trouble, Would one of you like to clarify the boundaries of which Mater Dei and St. John Bosco can find their rosters? I have now heard all three. @Omaha Vol @HurricaneNick @CaliNorth @MD87 @dntn31 😌

Boundaries?? Schools like those two don’t have boundaries. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Horsefly said:

I think Desoto looked pretty damn good last season.  It's hard to say for sure but I think they could've given Bosco,  MD a competitive game last season 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Bosco in 15 was #1 in nation. They were top tier .  I may have mistaken Cen10 for servite a few seasons ago now that I think about it . My bad . But look at last season in playoffs, Cen10 almost beat Bosco again on a failed play at the 2 yd line . Point is, you don't need IMG talent to beat these teams, or at least compete real competitively. I just think the whole argument of saying  "they have more talent than us "  is a copout .  Md has had a number of close games in the past few yrs by far less talented teams overall .

Cen10 has familiarity with MD and Bosco, but being a perennial top 25 program themselves they’re still 0-8 vs Bosco/MD since 2017 with 5 of those losses being blowouts. 

so what is the major factor in this losing streak to those programs coaching or talent? 

7 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

I think Desoto looked pretty damn good last season.  It's hard to say for sure but I think they could've given Bosco,  MD a competitive game last season 

Yes DS had a great season for sure. Them beating Duncanville fairly easily was the eye opener. 

9 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

For about a half.  Then start getting worked in the trenches.

Hard to hold up against teams that can go 2-3 deep on the Front 7 and barely lose a step.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Kids should go wherever they want to go. It’s high school football. It’s just not that serious. 

100%  Probably should have that quote and the paragraph that follows, at the top of every thread here.  Come on, people…

10 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Md has had a number of close games in the past few yrs by far less talented teams overall .

And, similarly, MD has beaten teams with more talent than they have had (e.g. IMG, SFA in ‘19, Bosco some years).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MD87 said:

100%  Probably should have that quote and the paragraph that follows, at the top of every thread here.  Come on, people…

Let Mater Haze go back to the OLD Mater Haze and see how serious it really is.

From 2004 to 2012 Mater Haze was a 4-6 loss team every year. 😧😄

They had no Mater Haze groupies and fanboys back then!

12 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

Orange County: 

and the Santa Ana Unified School District where Mater Dei High School would be zoned if it were a Texas public. [The Tan] 

Even if they are capable of just figuring it out; I was only curious as to how much area, if any, the two rosters’ home accommodations span in relation to the school attendance zones that they are playing at | and if, at all, that differs to the Texas powers.

This dude broke out the Atlas!! 😧🤔😂

5 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Cen10 has familiarity with MD and Bosco, but being a perennial top 25 program themselves they’re still 0-8 vs Bosco/MD since 2017 with 5 of those losses being blowouts. 

so what is the major factor in this losing streak to those programs coaching or talent? 

I would say talent and a little bit of coaching. MD has a decent amount of kids that do come from the Corona area and has forever so Cen10 hasn't been no where near the same level of talent in the past. Especially since they last beat them both in playoffs and MD changed up their recruiting philosophy 😂

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Lara has kept the staff in place outside of the DC stepping down. New DC was already within the program. Rob Thomas former UCLA linebacker. Pretty tough to mess this one up. He needs to be the CEO and let his coaches coach. Rollo made the important decisions throughout the game but let his coaches do their thing.

I dunno, but MD losing its DC may turn out to be a big loss for them, at least against their toughest 2-3 opponents. I remember watching Thomas as #8 for the Bruins, but playing careers and effectiveness as a prep play caller are two different things. MD has been striking on D with it's intense blitz packages. There's an art to that approach, and an O with a great OL (that will definitely be BG and maybe Kahuku as well) can do a lot of damage against it.

13 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

Orange County: 

the greater L.A. area includes at least the northern half of OC and also at least some of the inland empire. 

The idea that Texas' powerhouse programs only have players who've lived in the attendance zones of their schools is silly. I suppose they make the families do a little "extra" to make them eligible.

3 hours ago, Frosty4024 said:

For about a half.  Then start getting worked in the trenches.

Hard to hold up against teams that can go 2-3 deep on the Front 7 and barely lose a step.

Santa Margarita can hang with MD for four quarters and take it to the wire, but Desoto couldn't? Perhaps the "familiarity boost" teams from the same conferences tend to have (they may have some signs, and know player tendencies better) helped SM. But, mostly, I think folks just looked up the final score of the aforementioned game and don't realize how close SM was to pulling the upset...

1 hour ago, FbDad1986 said:

I would say talent and a little bit of coaching. MD has a decent amount of kids that do come from the Corona area and has forever so Cen10 hasn't been no where near the same level of talent in the past. Especially since they last beat them both in playoffs and MD changed up their recruiting philosophy 😂

I appreciate the honesty . 

57 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Santa Margarita can hang with MD for four quarters and take it to the wire, but Desoto couldn't? Perhaps the "familiarity boost" teams from the same conferences tend to have (they may have some signs, and know player tendencies better) helped SM. But, mostly, I think folks just looked up the final score of the aforementioned game and don't realize how close SM was to pulling the upset...

At the end of the day SM is probably 0-20 v MD with most of those blowouts. It doesn’t say much to have a rare close loss. 2 years ago they lost 52-7.  

14 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

DeSoto doesn’t play convincing defense so it’d need to be a shootout which I’m not sure they could keep up for the whole game.

15 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

You know this answer. It doesn’t matter because if a staff wants a kid to play there they're going to figure it out 99% of the time. Anywhere in the country. This homegrown only notion is foolish.  Kids should go wherever they want to go. It’s high school football. It’s just not that serious. 

Speaking of public schools - Some kids live in terrible areas where their home schools are underfunded, have terrible structure, poor athletics, etc. are we going to be upset if Samples or Logan or whoever figures out a way to get him into school? If any grown man has an issue with that they need to re-evaluate some things. 

When I watched SLC and HP at Jerry World the night before the MD game, an SLC dad was open about how important the transfers were for SLC to get to the state title game a year before. Those kids got to go to school in Southlake, train inside incredible facilities, and have coach Dodge as a reference in their back pocket for the rest of their lives. No brainer. 

lol if it wasn’t that serious MD wouldn’t go to such trouble to make sure kids from long distances get to campus each day.  It is big deal and you guys are the ring leader of making it big deal!!

Texas powers get transfers.  Normally they are not hand picked.  Normally, the totals are way less than teams like MD, SJB and other privates around the country.   

You guys SJB / MD sold completely out to developing roster with close to 40 D1 quality kids.  Had this not happened you would still be behind DLS who had a serious run in Cali.   

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

the greater L.A. area includes at least the northern half of OC and also at least some of the inland empire. 

The idea that Texas' powerhouse programs only have players who've lived in the attendance zones of their schools is silly. I suppose they make the families do a little "extra" to make them eligible.

I didn’t say they did, but with the fact that there are 5 stars, and 4 stars all around Duncanville and DeSoto that don’t go to Duncanville and DeSoto, or any football power for that matter makes that point for me ☺️

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

Let Mater Haze go back to the OLD Mater Haze and see how serious it really is.

From 2004 to 2012 Mater Haze was a 4-6 loss team every year. 😧😄

They had no Mater Haze groupies and fanboys back then!

1 losing season in the last 40 years. You’d kill for that considering you’re 17-18 in the last 3 years. Sad! Lmfao 

20 minutes ago, Mr. Football said:

lol if it wasn’t that serious MD wouldn’t go to such trouble to make sure kids from long distances get to campus each day.  It is big deal and you guys are the ring leader of making it big deal!!

Texas powers get transfers.  Normally they are not hand picked.  Normally, the totals are way less than teams like MD, SJB and other privates around the country.   

You guys SJB / MD sold completely out to developing roster with close to 40 D1 quality kids.  Had this not happened you would still be behind DLS who had a serious run in Cali.   

Of course the transfers are not hand picked. Because you said so!!! Samples definitely isn’t getting the kids he wants on campus! They just somehow show up! Give me a break. 

2 hours ago, badrouter said:

I dunno, but MD losing its DC may turn out to be a big loss for them, at least against their toughest 2-3 opponents. I remember watching Thomas as #8 for the Bruins, but playing careers and effectiveness as a prep play caller are two different things. MD has been striking on D with it's intense blitz packages. There's an art to that approach, and an O with a great OL (that will definitely be BG and maybe Kahuku as well) can do a lot of damage against it.

It could be a big loss. I doubt much changes, EJ kept it very simple and I hope Thomas does too. BG will absolutely be a problem, but they’d be a problem with Rollo at the helm. They’re very good this year. If MD struggles against Kahuku with this roster we are in deep shit Lol