This Is How You Work To Stay On Top, Not Transfers

HawgGoneIt

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/ga_fl_news/middle-school-football-sweeps-lowndes/article_5a7947ba-afbe-11e7-9b9d-d7ced876f11a.html

Middle school football sweeps Lowndes

• By Wayne Grandy
  •  
    • 8 hrs ago
    •  
      •  

MOULTRIE — Quarterback Zane Touchton threw for 374 yards and six touchdowns to lead the Colquitt County eighth-grade football team to a

53-20 victory over Lowndes on Thursday on the Tom White Field at Mack Tharpe Stadium.

The seventh-grade team completed the doubleheader sweep with a 41-6 victory over the Vikings in a game that featured the third and fourth quarters played under a 6-minute running clock.

On Wednesday in Valdosta, the Colquitt County sixth-grade team raised its record to 5-0 with a 40-0 victory over Lowndes.

Willie Almond scored two touchdowns and Amari Tomblin, Zamari Williams, Ty Lamar and Chad White scored one each for the sixth-graders.

Lamar and Tomblin added 2-point conversions.

“We were very physical on both sides of the ball,” said Colquitt County coach Bobby Cutts.

“We played a great game, fast and physical.”

The eighth-grade game was close in the first half, with Tahj Sanders scoring on 70-yard pass from Touchton with 58 seconds remaining to take a 24-20 lead into the break.

The second half was no contest, with Packers using their speed to great advantage, outscoring the Vikings 28-0.

Sanders had a quite a game himself, catching four passes for 155 yards and touchdowns of 70 and 64 yards.

He also ran a punt back 54 yards for a fourth-quarter touchdown.

Touchton was 14-for-19 and completed passes to eight receivers.

Also catching scoring throws were Jamad Willis, Bill Hicks, Ontavious Carolina and Jessie Lawson.

Willis, who also rushed for 41 yards on five carries, got the Packers on the scoreboard with 2:33 left in the first quarter when he took a screen pass from Touchton and left the Vikings in his wake on a 62- yard scoring jaunt.

Touchton and Willis teamed up on the 2-point conversion pass as well.

After Lowndes tied the game two plays later, Colquitt regained the lead on a 13-yard scoring pass from Touchton to Hicks.

Lowndes scored on the second play of the second quarter, but Pershaun Fann harassed the Vikings quarterback into a incomplete pass on the 2- point conversion.

Lowndes took its only lead on a 12-yard touchdown run with 3:50 left in the second quarter, but again missed the extra point toss and led by only four at 20-16.

The Packers then scored the final 37 points of the game.

The second Touchton-to-Sanders touchdown came with 1:39 left in the third quarter. The lead was 32-20 after Touchton’s 2-point toss to Carolina.

The Packers scored three more times in the fourth quarter with Touchton hooking up with Carolina on a 67-yarder. The 2-point conversion toss to Sanders made it 40-20 with 5:26 left.

Then, just over a minute later, Sanders took a punt to the house and it was 46-20.

The final Packers score came when Touchton found Lawson in the end zone on a fourth down play from the Vikings 13 with 1:01 remaining.

Pershaun Fann kicked the final extra point.

The eighth-grade Packers are now 3-2.

The seventh-grade game was never competitive, thanks primarily to running back Charlie Pace.

In the first quarter, Pace touched the football six times.

The first resulted in a 49-yard touchdown run, the second in a 2-point conversion run that gave the seventh-graders an 8-0 lead just 30 seconds into the contest.

Three minutes later, Pace took a Lowndes punt 53 yards for an apparent touchdown that was called back on an illegal block foul.

After a 22-yard pass from quarterback Imarius Bussie to Zakarion Edwards, Pace scored on a 13-yard run and again ran in the conversion.

Lowndes punted away its next possession and Pace took it 40 yards to the end zone.

The extra-point kick failed but Colquitt was up 22-0.

In the second quarter, Pace took a pass from Bussie and scored again, bowling over the final Lowndes defender as the Packers extended their lead to 28-0.

Lowndes got its only touchdown on a 78-yard run with 6:28 left in the half.

But Daveon Hunt returned the ensuing kickoff 42 yards for a touchdown and Luke Brogdon kicked the extra point and Colquitt was leading 35-6.

Zakarion Edwards closed out the scoring with a 20-yard touchdown run after it appeared he was hemmed in for a large loss. The kick failed but the Packers were up 41-6 with 4:58 left in the quarter.

Bussie completed 6-of-8 passes for 82 yards. Pace gained 62 on two carries and Edwards had 28 on three attempts and caught two passes for

34 yards.

The seventh-graders are 5-0.

The sixth-, seventh- and eighth-grade teams will play next on Saturday, Oct. 21, at Newbern Middle School.

The three teams will finish out their seasons on Saturday, Oct. 28, against Tift County at Tom White Field at Mack Tharpe Stadium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Charlie Pace! 

Kids are afraid to even try to tackle him. :|

The seventh-grade game was never competitive, thanks primarily to running back Charlie Pace.

The first resulted in a 49-yard touchdown run, the second in a 2-point conversion run that gave the seventh-graders an 8-0 lead just 30 seconds into the contest.

Three minutes later, Pace took a Lowndes punt 53 yards for an apparent touchdown that was called back on an illegal block foul.

After a 22-yard pass from quarterback Imarius Bussie to Zakarion Edwards, Pace scored on a 13-yard run and again ran in the conversion.

Lowndes punted away its next possession and Pace took it 40 yards to the end zone.

In the second quarter, Pace took a pass from Bussie and scored again, bowling over the final Lowndes defender as the Packers extended their lead to 28-0.

Not on the topic of the subject header, but still a high school football article...

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/ga_fl_news/propst-reminds-his-packers-everyone-is---now/article_692a36ee-afbd-11e7-a607-ab0b74ac670d.html

Propst reminds his Packers: Everyone is 0-0 now

• By Matthew Brown
  •  
    • 9 hrs ago
    •  
      •  

MOULTRIE – Facing the Camden County Wildcats – under first-year head coach Bob Sphire and former Lowndes defensive coordinator David Shores – the Colquitt County High Packers are looking at a unit that’s allowed 25 points per game so far.

But head coach Rush Propst reminded his bunch after a practice this week that Camden County has a record of 0-0.

And Colquitt County, too, is 0-0. Even Tift County and Lowndes, undefeated in non-region play, doesn’t have any wins yet that really count. All that will change during this opening weekend of Region 1-7A play.

Part of the big changes going on in Camden County football that began at the start of 2017, Sphire was hired after 11 successful years at North Gwinnett. He turned around and hired Shores from a new 1-7A rival. So there’s lots of familiarity on the part of the Packer coaching staff, and it’s not about looking at the numbers.

Nobody has Rashard Revels type numbers (93 total tackles). There’s some youth at the forefront of this unit with sophomore linebacker Desmond Fogle recording 34 total tackles, six for a loss and four quarterback sacks. Jamie Hill, a senior linebacker, also has six tackles for a loss. 6-5 Myjai Sanders, a senior, has three sacks, and Devin Howard and Jeremiah Compton combined so far for five interceptions.

“It’s a difficult scheme to go against,” said Colquitt offensive coordinator Jeff Hammond. “They are a lot more aggressive. They send a lot of hats in the box and stop the run a lot better than they did last year.

“Sometimes, point totals can be skewed. They’ve been given bad field position. The thing is they’ve taken a young team and gotten better every week. The last two ball games, they are a different football team than they were earlier. It’s going to boil down to how well we block rather than how good they are.”

Blocking has been an up and down factor for Colquitt, and for this line it’s a matter of health at one key spot. Center Will Rykard’s time on the field has been hampered by injury. He practiced this week, but Jerick Davis – doing the snaps in Rykard’s absence – is also getting in a good amount of work.

“If (Rykard plays), it will be great,” said Hammond. “If not, we have five guys we can put out there who are getting better every day.”

And how well the offensive line does, the better Colquitt County rushing numbers will be. Though the Packers won handily over Bishop Sullivan Catholic 38-7 on Sept. 30 to improve to 6-1, that heralded backfield tandem of Daijun Edwards and Ty Leggett only carried the ball a combined 13 times for 38 yards. There were about seven other carries spread out among four players in the first three quarters (before the running clock) that picked up about 25 more yards.

“(Bishop Sullivan) was good in the box, tackle to tackle,” said Hammond. “Our running game is straight predicated on how our offensive line plays. You can have the best backs in the country, but if there are not seams to run in, you’re not going to run the ball. We put a real emphasis last week on getting physical up front and creating space.”

Hammond isn’t one to say this player must do this or that player must put up this number to get a win. If one of the backs has a big game Friday, Hammond said it would result from a “flip of the coin.”

“It’s whoever’s in there the time the play’s called,” he said. “We’re not going to say we’re going to get both of them involved. We try to keep them fresh as much as possible. When their number’s called, they’re going to give a great effort.”

Receiver Ty Shealey had that kind of game vs. Bishop Sullivan with a career-high in receiving yards and two touchdowns.

“That’s the way we have to play to be successful,” said Hammond. 

“We’re not talented enough to go out there and say we’re going to feed this guy the ball and you can’t stop him. If they have the opportunity to make a play, they have to make it.”

Shealey said it’s going to be tough winning on the road, but that’s what this part of the season is all about. Plus, while Camden is the lone focus this week, Tift County and Lowndes – two top five 7A teams – are upcoming. He said it’s a dream situation for a high school player at Colquitt.

• The Wildcats look strong in the kicking game behind a senior, Toby Gebhardt. He has a 40-yard punting average but only six touchbacks in kickoffs Gebhardt is also 7-for-10 in field goals.

• This will be the 14th all-time Colquitt-Camden football meeting. The Packers won the last three to take an 8-5 series edge. Six of those games were in the state playoffs.

4 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Charlie Pace! 

Kids are afraid to even try to tackle him. :|

SOOOOOOO, LOOKS as though Colquitt is using the Valdosta of old tactics, of playing twenty five year olds on varsity?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ORabidOne said:

SOOOOOOO, LOOKS as though Colquitt is using the Valdosta of old tactics, of playing twenty five year olds on varsity?

Nah, Charlie is a youngin. He's just big and bulky for his age. Basically a monster like IMG has at every position. I know his dad, and they're good people. 

I do remember lining up across from Valdosta guys that had salt and pepper color beards back in the day though. xD

5 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

You guys are just mean.  Valdosta would never do anything like that.  Now Lowndes.....I think they had a team of 20 yr olds in 1980.  Oh Wait...Joe Wilson did do his apprenticeship under Coach Bazemore.  Uh,  I could be wrong about Valdosta....(Smile).

Rufus>>

When I was in 8th grade, we went to Death Valley, and, there was guys on the Valdosta 8th grade team with full beards and wax tipped mustaches. @Sammyswordsman would be proud of the staches those "kids" were sporting. xD

• Haha 1

Some food for thought. When the national debate comes about public's bootstrapping and not having the same abilities to court players from outside their boundaries as privates, I always think that public's (particularly the ones with strong programs) have feeder systems that allow for player development within their system. IMO, this ability to evaluate and work system development is a public's equalizer to private school programs like those up in the BNU and elsewhere. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PrepGridiron said:

Some food for thought. When the national debate comes about public's bootstrapping and not having the same abilities to court players from outside their boundaries as privates, I always think that public's (particularly the ones with strong programs) have feeder systems that allow for player development within their system. IMO, this ability to evaluate and work system development is a public's equalizer to private school programs like those up in the BNU and elsewhere. 

Yep.  I expect Rab to go off on me about it but the Gwinnett Football League is the parks system league where the younguns play.  Each high school has a park paired up with it and in general all the teams at that park play the same plays and schemes as the high school and the high school coach generally has some degree of involvement.  There are several thousand kids playing in the GFL.  It is where they all get to know each other and the reason why you might have a kid from the north end of the county that has many friends on a team from the south end of the county.  With one notable exception last year, all of the transfers knew each other from GFL ball and I think three of them had played with our QB on a championship team.  You can't say too much about having that type of system in place.

• Like 2

Just now, PrepGridiron said:

Are you more of a private school fan compared to a public school?

26 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Are you more of a private school fan compared to a public school?

My team is private, but I wouldn't say I'm a particular fan of either. I'm just pointing out that there are advantages/disadvantages to both and taking the position that people that claim that there is an uneven playing field for public's don't look at the larger picture. There is a reason that even Centennial in California can year in and year out compete with the big private programs. One of them is ability to develop programs at the intermediary school levels. Bellevue in WA used to run a very dynamic Wing T. Their coach came from their youth program and their youth programs ran the same offense as the HS. Many of those kids at the high school level had been running the offense for years and years. They could have run that deceptive handoff in their sleep. This stuff gets overlooked when public's claim borders and limited resources. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

My team is private, but I wouldn't say I'm a particular fan of either. I'm just pointing out that there are advantages/disadvantages to both and taking the position that people that claim that there is an uneven playing field for public's don't look at the larger picture. There is a reason that even Centennial in California can year in and year out compete with the big private programs. One of them is ability to develop programs at the intermediary school levels. Bellevue in WA used to run a very dynamic Wing T. Their coach came from their youth program and their youth programs ran the same offense as the HS. Many of those kids at the high school level had been running the offense for years and years. They could have run that deceptive handoff in their sleep. This stuff gets overlooked when public's claim borders and limited resources. 

I somewhat agree, but I get what you trying to say. 

Yes there is a distinct advantage to being able to work with the same kids all the way up through school, especially middle school and up. 

The privates get to poach from systems like this though. Picking and choosing the best athletes that have been groomed in a program, and then offer them "better" education and sometimes scholarship so they don't have to pay for the school at all.

Then, there is the Graysons of the world that have the best of both worlds. They have the feeder system in place, and also "the kids recruit each other" because they all played park ball together. 

To me, the Grayson types should be better than any public or private considering the situation they have where they develop their own and just fill the weak spots from across town via a tweet or two from the star qb or lb or whatever. 

But, no doubt, there are distinct advantages to all 3 types of schools. 

3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yes there is a distinct advantage to being able to work with the same kids all the way up through school, especially middle school and up. 

The privates get to poach from systems like this though. Picking and choosing the best athletes that have been groomed in a program, and then offer them "better" education and sometimes scholarship so they don't have to pay for the school at all.

Then, there is the Graysons of the world that have the best of both worlds. They have the feeder system in place, and also "the kids recruit each other" because they all played park ball together. 

To me, the Grayson types should be better than any public or private considering the situation they have where they develop their own and just fill the weak spots from across town via a tweet or two from the star qb or lb or whatever. 

But, no doubt, there are distinct advantages to all 3 types of schools. 

Good part about Schools like Grayson. The schools cant get in trouble... the school cant get in trouble if the kids are encouraging each other... 

Its only if the teachers are doing it does it become a problem.

9 hours ago, PrepGridiron said:

On a related note, this is why the Air Force Academy became competitive in D1 football in such a short time.

They have an AFA prep school for students who need tutoring or some maturity, and their football program is a mirror image of the “varsity.”

So they have a built-in feeder system.

20 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

You guys are just mean.  Valdosta would never do anything like that.  Now Lowndes.....I think they had a team of 20 yr olds in 1980.  Oh Wait...Joe Wilson did do his apprenticeship under Coach Bazemore.  Uh,  I could be wrong about Valdosta....(Smile).

Rufus>>

I heard some of those ole Valdosta boys talking on the sideline once, about their potential checks from Social Security!

19 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

When I was in 8th grade, we went to Death Valley, and, there was guys on the Valdosta 8th grade team with full beards and wax tipped mustaches. @Sammyswordsman would be proud of the staches those "kids" were sporting. xD

Yeah, I heard some of um speaking in foreign tongues as WELL! Me THINKS that they was from MISSISSIPPI!

7 hours ago, Wosinc said:

On a related note, this is why the Air Force Academy became competitive in D1 football in such a short time.

They have an AFA prep school for students who need tutoring or some maturity, and their football program is a mirror image of the “varsity.”

So they have a built-in feeder system.

Most of the service academies have a great feeder system! It's called COLQUITT COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL!

17 hours ago, PrepGridiron said:

PRECISELY why, when you see the Packers of Colquitt coming down the road! GET OUT OF THE WAY!

19 hours ago, PrepGridiron said:

Some food for thought. When the national debate comes about public's bootstrapping and not having the same abilities to court players from outside their boundaries as privates, I always think that public's (particularly the ones with strong programs) have feeder systems that allow for player development within their system. IMO, this ability to evaluate and work system development is a public's equalizer to private school programs like those up in the BNU and elsewh

Yeah, and the privates feed off the publics feeders too lol.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2017 at 3:46 PM, Fred said:

Yep.  I expect Rab to go off on me about it but the Gwinnett Football League is the parks system league where the younguns play.  Each high school has a park paired up with it and in general all the teams at that park play the same plays and schemes as the high school and the high school coach generally has some degree of involvement.  There are several thousand kids playing in the GFL.  It is where they all get to know each other and the reason why you might have a kid from the north end of the county that has many friends on a team from the south end of the county.  With one notable exception last year, all of the transfers knew each other from GFL ball and I think three of them had played with our QB on a championship team.  You can't say too much about having that type of system in place.

YEAH, and you girls always are boasting how GREAT that league is! IF so, WHY are there so few quality teams in the county each year? What do you have, twenty five schools in Gwinnett county, and MAYBE FIVE worth spit? It's USUALLY the same ole same ole! Archer, Grayson, North Gwinnett, and Norcross! And Buford has to resort to stealing their players from Gwinnett, Forsyth, Barrow, and Fulton counties! WHY are the OTHER schools SOOOO mediocre or worse? I'll TELL YOU WHY! Because those coaches you mention either actively recruited certain players to their district! Or have boosters do the dirty work for them, to make um competitive! 

Just this season, after Grayson bought them a championship in 2016! Brookwood said, HELL, WE can do that TOO, since the GHSA is up Gwinnett county's ass! And the Broncs go shopping for TEN players, eight who START, to fill those pesky graduation voids!

I said that to say THIS! The Gwinnett Football League is an OVERRATED JOKE!