2023 CIF SS playoffs

Bodysurf

10 hours ago, RedZone said:

You have people in this thread questioning can  Canyon even beat (5-5) Margaritaville this week......(5-5) Servite put 50 points on Margaritaville..

Santa Margarita is in D1 bracket, Servite is not, and I think it was a 1 point loss.   SC struggled with Serra Gardena who was also deemed not fit for the top bracket.  Thus, on paper, you should question it.  

10 hours ago, RedZone said:

If Canyon can't beat Margaritaville they ain't much, believe that! And, they damn sure aren't #18 in the nation.

If they can’t, then yes #18 is an over rating.  What polls don’t do a good job of is to assess matchups.  Sierra Canyon has 4 good wideouts and a good QB.  Their OLine is nothing RSM hasn’t seen week in and out in the Trinity League though so if they can pressure the QB enough to rattle him, then they might minimize the passing damage.  RSM has a decent QB with good downfield accuracy so if they can keep SC backside honest, they might be able to run some on them.  They do employ a version of a wildcat from time to time with some counter motion and it took Cen10 halftime adjustments to figure that out.

Because they are at home, I give them 7 points advantage and I think they should be able to wear down RSM in the second half.  If they  can win by 17 to 24, I think they’ll have proven enough to be top 20ish.  

Against MD/SJB, different story.  The QB will be running like Gump away from the pressure.  Those 4wideouts won’t mean much,  unless a couple stay in and block.   Plus, sorry, you aren’t running effectively against those defenses either.  Cen10 has a better line,  a better back than SC, the QB turned out a better than expected runner, and they managed only 167 total rushing yards.  Expect SC to be under 100 on the ground.  MD probably beats them by 20 or more.  

• Like 1

@Bodysurf @dntn31 

Explain something to me how do teams know what division their gonna be playing in? 

In Georgia teams are placed in 1A-7A  based on enrollment and you have to place top 4 in your region/conference. 

If I can remember what sammy said correctly yall do placement based on previous 2 seasons success? 

If so thats wildly dumb... 

1 hour ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

@Bodysurf @dntn31 

Explain something to me how do teams know what division their gonna be playing in? 

In Georgia teams are placed in 1A-7A  based on enrollment and you have to place top 4 in your region/conference. 

If I can remember what sammy said correctly yall do placement based on previous 2 seasons success? 

If so thats wildly dumb... 

It used to be based on the previous 2 seasons and the CIFSS soon realized that was indeed dumb. Now it is based solely on the current year's CalPreps ratings. Teams do not know, with certainty, which playoff division they will be in until the Week 10 CalPreps ratings are released and the playoff divisions are announced (this happened over the last weekend on Sunday).

1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

It used to be based on the previous 2 seasons and the CIFSS soon realized that was indeed dumb. Now it is based solely on the current year's CalPreps ratings. Teams do not know, with certainty, which playoff division they will be in until the Week 10 CalPreps ratings are released and the playoff divisions are announced (this happened over the last weekend on Sunday).

I understand this... 

But I've just come to the conclusion that I will never like the CIF handling of the Southern Section Playoffs.... 

Waiting until the final week to determine divisions based on Calpreps 

Which explains how the Whole TL got in the playoffs and thats just wild to me... 

Finish last place Servite? Thats ok welcome to Division 2.... 

Thats like if Archer finishes in last and the GHSA says thats ok you can go play in the 6A playoffs since you didn't qualify for 7A.... 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I understand this... 

But I've just come to the conclusion that I will never like the CIF handling of the Southern Section Playoffs.... 

Which explains how the Whole TL got in the playoffs and thats just wild to me... 

Thats like if Archer finishes in last and the GHSA says thats ok you can go play in the 6A playoffs since you didn't qualify for 7A.... 

Hey man it could be worse. In the CIF NCS you can lose in the playoffs and then move on! 

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I understand this... 

The current system based on Calpreps does create more parity in the playoffs. MD and Bosco are outliers in D1 but there is parity everywhere else.

What if Archer finishes last in their league but is still better than >99% of the teams in Georgia? That is the situation here with the bottom feeder Trinity teams. Is it better to punish them and not have them in the playoffs because they have the misfortune of being in the same league with MD and Bosco? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bodysurf said:

The current system based on Calpreps does create more parity in the playoffs. MD and Bosco are outliers in D1 but there is parity everywhere else.

What if Archer finishes last in their league but is still better than >99% of the teams in Georgia? That is the situation here with the bottom feeder Trinity teams. Is it better to punish them and not have them in the playoffs because they have the misfortune of being in the same league with MD and Bosco

IMO that just says more about that part of the state... 

Thats not depth thats actually sad... 

But I feel like the problem with CP is they overinflate certain schedules... 

The bottom 4 playing SJB and MD automatically puts their SoS through the roof even though they always get their doors blown off... 

At some point you have to start valuing wins over being a speed bump... 

Yes LBP and MV might not have the SoS of OLU and SM but they won the games they scheduled. 

Its not their fault that the TL bottom 4 cant win with the schedule THEY MADE... 

I get that they can't control who they play for conference/region games but the non-conference stuff is wholly on them... 

10 hours ago, On2whls said:

Santa Margarita is in D1 bracket, Servite is not, and I think it was a 1 point loss.   SC struggled with Serra Gardena who was also deemed not fit for the top bracket.  Thus, on paper, you should question it.  

If they can’t, then yes #18 is an over rating.  What polls don’t do a good job of is to assess matchups.  Sierra Canyon has 4 good wideouts and a good QB.  Their OLine is nothing RSM hasn’t seen week in and out in the Trinity League though so if they can pressure the QB enough to rattle him, then they might minimize the passing damage.  RSM has a decent QB with good downfield accuracy so if they can keep SC backside honest, they might be able to run some on them.  They do employ a version of a wildcat from time to time with some counter motion and it took Cen10 halftime adjustments to figure that out.

Because they are at home, I give them 7 points advantage and I think they should be able to wear down RSM in the second half.  If they  can win by 17 to 24, I think they’ll have proven enough to be top 20ish.  

Against MD/SJB, different story.  The QB will be running like Gump away from the pressure.  Those 4wideouts won’t mean much,  unless a couple stay in and block.   Plus, sorry, you aren’t running effectively against those defenses either.  Cen10 has a better line,  a better back than SC, the QB turned out a better than expected runner, and they managed only 167 total rushing yards.  Expect SC to be under 100 on the ground.  MD probably beats them by 20 or more.  

Dude, all I did was acknowledge Canyon has some talent and I was intrigued a little..

I'm well aware it's never enough talent or it's talent in all the wrong places when compared to the two california all-star teams.

Whatever happens, happens. I've lost interest in it now.

I said last week Bixby, OK had zero talent and that turned out to be a freakin headache.

I don't need the headaches, man! Make it mean whatever you want it to mean.

One thing is clear 

Caj can't differentiate between Canyon HS's and Sierra Canyon... 

He keeps talking about Canyon not being able to beat SM and struggling with Serra Gardena. 

But none of the Canyons even played them... 

So yea I'd be concerned with the matchup too... 

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Dude, all I did was acknowledge Canyon has some talent and I was intrigued a little..

I'm well aware it's never enough talent or it's talent in all the wrong places when compared to the two california all-star teams.

Whatever happens, happens. I've lost interest in it now.

I said last week Bixby, OK had zero talent and that turned out to be a freakin headache.

I don't need the headaches, man! Make it mean whatever you want it to mean.

9 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Technically, Servite finished second to last in the Trinity League.

2 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

The bottom 4 playing SJB and MD automatically puts their SoS through the roof even though they always get their doors blown off... 

At some point you have to start valuing wins over being a speed bump... 

Yes LBP and MV might not have the SoS of OLU and SM but they won the games they scheduled. 

Its not their fault that the TL bottom 4 cant win with the schedule THEY MADE... 

I get that they can't control who they play for conference/region games but the non-conference stuff is wholly on them... 

You do understand that when you put 6 teams in a league there is a mathematical guarantee of at least 15 losses distributed across those 6 teams due to the fact that they all have to play each other, right? Now, factor in that 2 of those 6 teams are a step above the other 4 (and every other team in the section for that matter) that means you have 14 (nearly) guaranteed losses distributed across those 4 teams. That is why the bottom 4 teams have the W-L records they have. If you swapped MV and LBP with 2 of those 4 teams they would have similar W-L records.

Non-League Stats for the 6 teams in question...

• JSerra (Trinity #3)
    • Record: 3-2
    • SOS: 48.7 
    • Best Win: 40.5 (Chaminade)
    • Worst Loss: 62.7 (Clovis North)
  • Orange Lutheran (Trinity #4)
    • SOS: 57.3
    • Best Win: 58.2 (De La Salle)
    • Worst Loss: 61.2 (Chandler, AZ)
  • Servite (Trinity #5)
    • Record: 4-1
    • SOS: 29.4
    • Best Win: 55.7 (Los Alamitos)
    • Worst Loss: 59.2 (Rancho Cucamonga)
  • Santa Margarita (Trinity #6)
    • SOS: 50.2
    • Best Win: 49.2 (West, UT)
    • Worst Loss: 66.3 (Centennial)
  • Long Beach Poly (Moore #1)
    • Record: 3-1
    • SOS: 57.5
    • Best Win: 57.7 (Gardena Serra) - also beat by OLU
    • Worst Loss: 85.3 (Bishop Gorman)
  • Mission Viejo (South Coast #2)
    • Record: 5-2
    • SOS: 41.2
    • Best Win: 55.7 (Los Alamitos) - also beat by Servite
    • Worst Loss: 52 (St. John's DC)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Technically, Servite finished second to last in the Trinity League.

You do understand that when you put 6 teams in a league there is a mathematical guarantee of at least 15 losses distributed across those 6 teams due to the fact that they all have to play each other, right? Now, factor in that 2 of those 6 teams are a step above the other 4 (and every other team in the section for that matter) that means you have 14 (nearly) guaranteed losses distributed across those 4 teams. That is why the bottom 4 teams have the W-L records they have. If you swapped MV and LBP with 2 of those 4 teams they would have similar W-L records.

Non-League Stats for the 6 teams in question...

• JSerra (Trinity #3)
    • SOS: 48.7 
    • Best Win: 40.5 (Chaminade)
    • Worst Loss: 62.7 (Clovis North)
  • Orange Lutheran (Trinity #4)
    • SOS: 57.3
    • Best Win: 58.2 (De La Salle)
    • Worst Loss: 61.2 (Chandler, AZ)
  • Servite (Trinity #5)
    • SOS: 29.4
    • Best Win: 55.7 (Los Alamitos)
    • Worst Loss: 59.2 (Rancho Cucamonga)
  • Santa Margarita (Trinity #6)
    • SOS: 50.2
    • Best Win: 49.2 (West, UT)
    • Worst Loss: 66.3 (Centennial)
  • Long Beach Poly (Moore #1)
    • Record: 3-1
    • SOS: 57.5
    • Best Win: 57.7 (Gardena Serra) - also beat by OLU
    • Worst Loss: 85.3 (Bishop Gorman)
  • Mission Viejo (South Coast #2)
    • Record: 5-2
    • SOS: 41.2
    • Best Win: 55.7 (Los Alamitos) - also beat by Servite
    • Worst Loss: 52 (St. John's DC)

I understand the W/L part on the conference stand point... 

But what I'm trying to get at is:

1. You mean to tell me Servite finished above SM and got put in D2 while SM gets D1? Thats actually fucking stupid... 

2. LBP's best win is better than Jserra,Servite and SM's best wins but Calpreps says fuck it so the CIF  threw them in D2...? 

I get what you're saying about LBP's schedule not being as hard and how those teams would be 9-1 as well with their overall schedule but lets step back into reality here...

They didn't have LBP's schedule... 

And this is what pisses me off with Calpreps SM,OLU,Jserra and Servite are getting artificially inflated just for showing up to half these games and no one else gets that luxury... 

And it irks the fuck outta me that Servite finished over SM and got the D2 treatment... 

I thought the GHSA was inept but my God the rocket science you have to do to think that "oh LBP at 9-1 deserves to be put in a lower bracket than the 5-5 teams that did fuck all"

Then the NCS and CCS you can move on after losing in the playoffs?! 

What are yall smoking out there...? 

Tell the CIF committee to stay outta snoop doggs stash... 

Because this is dumb as hell... 

The more I hear about y'alls playoff system it makes me appreciate the chaos of our own system and how stupid it can be... 

Y'all need to gut it and start over and leave Calpreps and their nonsense out of it... 

And whats crazy is I'm looking at SM non-conference games right now and comparing to LBP and its not any  better... 

The only team from the bottom 4 Im seeing that can make that statement is OLU. 

What I am seeing unfortunately is LBP has a way bigger conference than SM and friends... 

Which doesn't allow for them to have as much non-conference schedule room.... 

18 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

2. LBP's best win is better than Jserra,Servite and SM's best wins but Calpreps says fuck it so the CIF  threw them in D2...? 

You could absolutely make the argument that LBP should be in D1 and not D2. The fact is that how many teams make D1 is completely arbitrary and determined by the CIFSS. If the primary focus is competitive equity D1 should probably be a 4 team bracket (as others have pointed out). LBP being in D2 is probably better for them anyway. Realistically, they have no shot at winning D1 and they have a very good shot at winning D2 and perhaps even a regional bowl game or lower level state championship.

18 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

They didn't have LBP's schedule... 

LBP's league is a complete joke. Every single Trinity League team would go 6-0 in that league without question. It's safe to assume none of the bottom 4 TL teams would beat Gorman. On the other hand, bottom 4 TL teams already have wins over Serra Gardena (OLU boat raced them 47-19) and Servite beat Lo s Alamitos who beat Mission Viejo. If the bottom 4 TL teams had LBP's schedule they would all have records similar to LBP's. You're completely fixated on name recognition and W-L (propped up with 6 guaranteed league wins against complete doormats).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

You could absolutely make the argument that LBP should be in D1 and not D2. The fact is that how many teams make D1 is completely arbitrary and determined by the CIFSS. If the primary focus is competitive equity D1 should probably be a 4 team bracket (as others have pointed out). LBP being in D2 is probably better for them anyway. Realistically, they have no shot at winning D1 and they have a very good shot at winning D2 and perhaps even a regional bowl game or lower level state championship.

LBP's league is a complete joke. Every single Trinity League team would go 6-0 in that league without question. It's safe to assume none of the bottom 4 TL teams would beat Gorman. On the other hand, bottom 4 TL teams already have wins over Serra Gardena (OLU boat raced them 47-19) and Servite beat Lo s Alamitos who beat Mission Viejo. If the bottom 4 TL teams had LBP's schedule they would all records similar to LBP's. You're completely fixated on name recognition and W-L (propped up with 6 guaranteed league wins against complete doormats).

Theres a reason I never mentioned LBP's league... 

Your Mom could go 6-0 against LBP's league by herself I know its dog water.... 

My fixation is how jank your playoffs look and are while relying on CP's rating system.... 

Because of that you have basically gotten an in conference playoffs... 

And its stupid as hell because CP always has and will overvalue any TL teams schedule no matter their record... 

Which will put them high up in the rankings all the time... 

1 minute ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Theres a reason I never mentioned LBP's league... 

Your Mom could go 6-0 against LBP's league by herself I know its dog water.... 

My fixation is how jank your playoffs look and are while relying on CP's rating system.... 

Because of that you have basically gotten an in conference playoffs... 

And its stupid as hell because CP always has and will overvalue any TL teams schedule no matter their record... 

Which will put them high up in the rankings all the time... 

It's convenient that you completely ditched Mission Viejo from your rants once you actually looked at their performance this year... 😂

Let's hope Servite and LBP win their first round games. Should make a fun pick em game next week...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

It's convenient that you completely ditched Mission Viejo from your rants once you actually looked at their performance this year... 😂

Let's hope Servite and LBP win their first round games. Should make a fun pick em game next week...

MV let me down I thought they did better than they actually did... 

But also how does LBP have a better non-con SoS than SM,Jserra and Servite AND STILL GET OUT RANKED BY THEM IN CP?! and not get D1 thats why I say that shits fucked