1946 (St Petersburg) Gibbs,FL vs (Valdosta) Dasher High - Christmas Clash of State Champions

Nolebull813

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

Yes.  bEast Texas UIL teams sucked.  Magically in 1967 they became dominate.  Lufkin Dunbar was a PVIL Beast winning 4 straight PVIL Championships.  They were one of the last teams to integrate later with Lufkin High.  How good were they their 1st year in the UIL they were still all black they went to State and Magically Daingerfield now a small school blueblood integrated that same year and beat them 7 - 6 for the  Texas 2A Championship.    Good stuff.  Our PVIL Champ in the 30's and 40's played the La. Black champs in a game called the Chocolate Bowl.  

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

I was anxious to see if they won.  Bro thanks.  That's so freaking awesome.  Watched a documentary of Arican American Servicemen during WWII.  I am a proud Marine to my Corps a former Senior Drill Instructor.  Nothing I went thru compared to what they endured just to serve.   Thanks @Horsefly and I are students of the PVIL here and man they produced arguably the best Professional Football players in the History of HS Football.  They often played in Front of 25K for the State Champs.  Again Thanks for the History of Florida Football.  They drew 3K for an OOS game.  Freaking awesome.  Semper Fi till I die. 

The most dominant HS team ever in Alabama was East Highland a black high school in Sylacauga. In 1969 they scored 55 a game and gave up .7 a game. They ran the spread offense in the 60's long before any college team did. He was an innovator. 

Read here.

http://www.ahsfhs.org/teams2/gamesbyyear.asp?Team=East Highland&Year=1969

This was there head coach. He is an Alabama legend. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haywood_Scissum

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

@DevilDog @Horsefly Pretty cool articles I found from 1946. Gibbs High from St Pete,FL go undefeated not giving up a point all year hosting the champions from Georgia, Dasher High from Valdosta. These 2 teams were obviously during the segregation period. Dasher High coach was an alum of Gibbs. 

2 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

A11C8D97-2DD1-4258-B8AF-3956FC4258F1.jpeg

1966 Savannah Johnson went down to Tampa Bay to play Blake HS.... 

The Atomsmashers smashed the Yellow Jackets 70-18 

10 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Great thread!  

When Ollie Matson is referenced, I’m 👀 @DevilDog

That’s two sports we ❤️.  Ollie was a burner!  Olympic medalist!  
400 his best, but he was a blur on the field.  

Yes Sir.  Track is in my familes bloodlines.  My uncle was the PVIL 100M champ in 1965 Class 2A. @Horsefly look at 1960's till 1969 Lufkin Dunbar was not only a beast in Football look how they dominated 2A and 3A in Track and Field.  They are legendary out in bEst Texas.  Look at B School BIg Sandy Football in 1970 - 1973 Integration created possibly the most dominate 3 year run in Texas History.  Schools like little Timpson carry on this legacy today.  A 2A School with incredible athletes that defy a school that size. I grew up hearing how they would tear them White Boys up in Football and Track from the old timers. 😁 I will try and find the video of Mean Jo Green talking about the football along with the bands and how big it was.  Big Cat Ernie, Ladd, Mean Joe Green, Harvey Martin, and Bubba Smith is the 1st Team PVIL D-Line and the legedary  Dick Night Train Lane at LB.  That's crazy 

https://pvilca.org/records.html?sport=track   Dunbar was a 1960s beast

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

The most dominant HS team ever in Alabama was East Highland a black high school in Sylacauga. In 1969 they scored 55 a game and gave up .7 a game. They ran the spread offense in the 60's long before any college team did. He was an innovator. 

Read here.

http://www.ahsfhs.org/teams2/gamesbyyear.asp?Team=East Highland&Year=1969

This was there head coach. 😁He is an Alabama legend. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haywood_Scissum

That is incredible. What an awesome football team.  Man I would pay to have heard those old Brothers talking about that team.  No one can tell better stories than old Black Pa Pa's.  I read the articles that was one bad ass football team in Alabubba.  Thanks sir for the History lesson. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Awesome finds @Nolebull813

Miami Northwestern stayed taking some bruises agiainst Georgia schools... 

Im almoat off the clock and I'll link the pages but the GHSFA has a page dedicated to some of the pre-integration era teams... 

Man Colquitt County had a winning pedigree in both the Black and White schools... 

2 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Miami Northwestern stayed taking some bruises agiainst Georgia schools... 

Im almoat off the clock and I'll link the pages but the GHSFA has a page dedicated to some of the pre-integration era teams... 

Man Colquitt County had a winning pedigree in both the Black and White schools... 

Lol. Did you get upset that I was showing some GA champions getting their teeth kicked in by FL teams? 

• Haha 1