RIP Dick Butkus

Cossacks

21 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

👍🏻

Ok gotta try naming these guys.  When I stopped I noticed Ben Davidson, Jim Kelly, Roger Craig and dang it.  Forgot already.  😂 I’ll keep adding.  Let me know how I did.  :) 

Can’t make out first guy off the bus.  The second guy Randy White?  Guy after shit, this isn’t easy.  Not Marin, I think that’s Ed too tall Jones. 

I think that's Evander Holyfield that - in a funny piece of foreshadowing - swallowed the finger 🤣

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

👍🏻

Ok gotta try naming these guys.  When I stopped I noticed Ben Davidson, Jim Kelly, Roger Craig and dang it.  Forgot already.  😂 I’ll keep adding.  Let me know how I did.  :) 

Can’t make out first guy off the bus.  The second guy Randy White?  Guy after shit, this isn’t easy.  Not Harvey Martin, I think that’s Ed too tall Jones. 

I see Sinbad.  😂  Herschel of course.  That was name I forgot above.  That’s all I noticed. 

Full list, complete with Too-tall Jones and Randy White looking suspiciously like Eric Dickerson in their thumbnails:

Screenshot_20231006-143448_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231006-143454_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231006-143420_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Full list, complete with Too-tall Jones and Randy White looking suspiciously like Eric Dickerson in their thumbnails:

Screenshot_20231006-143448_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231006-143454_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231006-143420_Samsung Internet.jpg

LOL.  That’s funny.  OK cool, looks like I got the rest of who I saw in the clip.  Nice group of athletes there.  

Initially, I thought Harvey Martin was after White, but after watching the clip again and seeing him duck, the 🛎️ rang. :) 

No luck seeing HSFB games on tv, so off to college check.  

I reach FS1 at 8 pm est game.

I’ll be watching FS1 with cold beer in hand minutes early.  

The caption mention is wrong.  Illini hosting.  

Home game.  Enough said.  

I’d dvr the beginning at least, for those not tuning in.  Not sure when, maybe at halftime we’ll see it.  

IMG_6326.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Looks like they’re ready to take the time with Eddie Feinger and The King and his Court

IMG_8737.jpeg

Don’t feel like googling, but I seem to recall games years back between an NFL team and NCAA all stars.   I’m a bit hazy on the details, but I think even Lombardi’s Packers played in this event.  They were taking it easy on them I suppose. :)   

Not a clue what results were or locations played.  

Illini’s 30 year old punter had his last attempt blocked.  They’re laying an egg vs Nebraska so far, but I’m here for the Butkus tributes.  They had a nice opening and showing pics and accolades of Butkus thru the game.  

Nice statue of Butkus outside the stadium and his last name is listed at the top of the stadium.   They accentuated the 50 on the field and Illini players have a 50 sticker on their helmets.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Don’t feel like googling, but I seem to recall games years back between an NFL team and NCAA all stars.   I’m a bit hazy on the details, but I think even Lombardi’s Packers played in this event.  They were taking it easy on them I suppose. :)   

Not a clue what results were or locations played.  

The college all star game. Easily one of the greatest events in football that everyone looked forward to. The NFL champion vs the college "all  americans" I attended two of them at Soldier Field... IMO... football in those days was, from the entertainment and cultural point of view, levels better that what we have today.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

The college all star game. Easily one of the greatest events in football that everyone looked forward to. The NFL champion vs the college "all  americans" I attended two of them at Soldier Field... IMO... football in those days was, from the entertainment and cultural point of view, levels better that what we have today.

Very cool.  I’ll have to look into this tomorrow am.  👍🏻  

Even cooler it was in Chicago, considering this thread.  :) 

Were they all played at Soldier Field?  Not sure if you are a Bears fan or not, but in a recent post somewhere on this side of the forum, I mentioned Payton as imo the best rb all time. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, GlenC7 said:

Didn't the College all stars beat the Packers one year? I could be wrong, just thinking about the old days when they played those games. Payton may have been the best. I say it's a toss up between him and Barry Sanders as the GOAT RB. Barry just walked  away.

How long did the college stars practice for this game?  Wow.  They beat Lombardi?  I’ll be on coffee cup one checking this series out before the games. 

Good choices.  I agree with both 1-2 career wise.  

My choice w Payton is what if he had home games in a dome stadium with 4 wide sets.  
We’ll never know, but what we did see was the Bears were really bad for most of Payton’s career and he still dominated.   I remember reading about his workouts running up steep hills where workout partners and/or teammates, at times younger, couldn’t keep up.  His legs were so strong.  

Sanders was so fun to watch.  Gotta go with one though.  :) 

The first time I saw Payton play I was a kid and super impressed. he would return kicks, do anything and always meet you head on, and bounce off and keep going never shying away from contact, almost unreal, just kept going. and he did it for so damn long. Barry didn't play with good teams either, maybe that's why he just said enough is enough. Back then you couldn't just demand a trade. different era. I only say it's a toss up because of the what if's. What if Barry had decided to keep going? Gotta give Payton his due though, one team, giving it his all till he couldn't go anymore. Actually back then I was A Cowboy fan. I'm a big fan Of Emmitt Smith too who came a tad later than Payton. I think Emmitt had the same mindset as Payton, not quite as dynamic, but durable. Man,  rb's just don't last that long anymore and are not valued as much because of the passing game. Shame. I don't think you will ever see the overall yardage from rb's now that you have seen in the past. What really sucks in today's game are the injuries. Crazy,, ACL, Achilles, out for the year, happens every week it seems. And not just with running backs.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

And I know this is a Butkus thread. To this day when I think of Linebacker I think Butkus. When I saw that he had passed the other day, it brought back memories. He was the original linebacker, RIP. May his family be comforted and thanks for the memories. Crazy how things are so different today, trades and everything. Like I said, just a different era.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GlenC7 said:

The first time I saw Payton play I was a kid and super impressed. he would return kicks, do anything and always meet you head on, and bounce off and keep going never shying away from contact, almost unreal, just kept going. and he did it for so damn long. Barry didn't play with good teams either, maybe that's why he just said enough is enough. Back then you couldn't just demand a trade. different era. I only say it's a toss up because of the what if's. What if Barry had decided to keep going? Gotta give Payton his due though, one team, giving it his all till he couldn't go anymore. Actually back then I was A Cowboy fan. I'm a big fan Of Emmitt Smith too who came a tad later than Payton. I think Emmitt had the same mindset as Payton, not quite as dynamic, but durable. Man,  rb's just don't last that long anymore and are not valued as much because of the passing game. Shame. I don't think you will ever see the overall yardage from rb's now that you have seen in the past. What really sucks in today's game are the injuries. Crazy,, ACL, Achilles, out for the year, happens every week it seems. And not just with running backs.

Walter Payton is my favorite R.B. of all time. My brother lives in Chicago and met him many years ago through business. Walter owned a construction company. He got me an autographed picture of "sweetness" which I cherish. What I loved about him was he played 100% every play and that included blocking! He was a great blocker and DIDN'T run out of bounce when given the chance...R.I.P .

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gospeeder said:

For 42 years they played the game, with the NFL champs winning 31 and the college all-stars winning 9. There were 2 ties.

A very close family member quarterbacked the college all-stars to one of the 9 victories, in front of over 100,000 at Soldiers Field.

That same family member played against the all-stars years later with the defending NFL champions. His coach, Paul Brown, approached the game as a practice, and was not interested in anything other than vanilla offensive and defensive schemes. This is how the all-stars won some of those games.

But from the mid '30s to the mid '70s most every football fan watched the August game as a kickoff to the football season. And it was always held at Soldier Field which used to have a capacity much larger than now.

And most of those fans regard Dick Butkus as the epitome of an NFL middle linebacker. Dude was a tough SOB. RIP.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, maxchoboian said:

For 42 years they played the game, with the NFL champs winning 31 and the college all-stars winning 9. There were 2 ties.

A very close family member quarterbacked the college all-stars to one of the 9 victories, in front of over 100,000 at Soldiers Field.

That same family member played against the all-stars years later with the defending NFL champions. His coach, Paul Brown, approached the game as a practice, and was not interested in anything other than vanilla offensive and defensive schemes. This is how the all-stars won some of those games.

But from the mid '30s to the mid '70s most every football fan watched the August game as a kickoff to the football season. And it was always held at Soldier Field which used to have a capacity much larger than now.

And most of those fans regard Dick Butkus as the epitome of an NFL middle linebacker. Dude was a tough SOB. RIP.

😮 🤩 thx for the share and info  🙌🏼

Looking fwd to researching and watching clips of this series! 

One question though… were the collegiate star players all incoming seniors or a combo of upper class stars?  

7 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

😮 🤩 thx for the share and info  🙌🏼

Looking fwd to researching and watching clips of this series! 

One question though… were the collegiate star players all incoming seniors or a combo of upper class stars?  

The college all-stars were all done with the college game, essentially going from that game to professional training camps (or life after college football).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

The college all-stars were all done with the college game, essentially going from that game to professional training camps (or life after college football).

Interesting.  In August they joined the teams.  

I’m not sure how they used to do the drafts before Rozelle was at the helm I think?  

Thx again for info.  Thats another ? I’m intrigued by.