Week 7 pick em

Cossacks

41 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Same HC?  How many years now?  D fence!  

Coach Taylor has been at Centennial since 1990 (when the school opened); o-line coach has been there just about as long and DC (Taylor's son) has been there since 1999. I've always thought once the old man retires Junior will take the reins but at the current rate he could be retirement age himself by the time that happens.

Amazingly the program didn't win a playoff game until their 11th varsity season (2003) and had only made three playoff appearances during those first ten seasons.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

I dont think Basha repeats this year. Call it a hunch, women’s intuition or whatever. I think they get tripped up this year.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/69f7f7b5-26d9-4221-be6b-1b656244ee04

All the Chandler schools seem to be a step or two back from where they were last season. Chandler's offense was ROUGH in the first half, and even when it did get going it was largely run-based and lacking big, explosive plays. 

This could be the year Liberty punches their card, but even then I think they were better last year. I love that Centennial's undefeated but things are going to need to fall really nicely for get over on the bigger schools (I don't love our depth).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Coach Taylor has been at Centennial since 1990 (when the school opened); o-line coach has been there just about as long and DC (Taylor's son) has been there since 1999. I've always thought once the old man retires Junior will take the reins but at the current rate he could be retirement age himself by the time that happens.

Amazingly the program didn't win a playoff game until their 11th varsity season (2003) and had only made three playoff appearances during those first ten seasons.

Depth I’m guessing was their main problem or perhaps a lack of difference makers that other schools had.   Less populated area I’m guessing back then also, less bodies in unis? 

Taylor’s longevity at the helm 👍🏻 and he’s STA’s daddy.  😂 

25 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Depth I’m guessing was their main problem or perhaps a lack of difference makers that other schools had.   Less populated area I’m guessing back then also, less bodies in unis? 

Taylor’s longevity at the helm 👍🏻 and he’s STA’s daddy.  😂 

The big challenge early on was that the two oldest schools in the district (Peoria and Cactus) were almost always among the top five teams in Class 4A during the 80s and 90s (Peoria won titles in '86, '87, '88, and shared one in '94; Cactus was runner-up in '85 and '86) and the Peoria District always had "soft" boundaries - I remember in elementary school being told we'd be able to choose Centennial, Peoria, or Cactus. Boundaries were always in flux as new high schools were opened (the district's pencil-necked forgotten child Ironwood opened in '86, Centennial in '90, Sunrise Mountain in '96, Kellis in '02, and Liberty in '06) so it wasn't until about '04 when things really steadied out. 

Big thing was in that first decade things never bottomed out - they were good for four to six wins just about every year so it was one of those things where they would do just enough to keep the status quo in place and by the turn of the century the tides turned enough for the program to elevate itself.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

The big challenge early on was that the two oldest schools in the district (Peoria and Cactus) were almost always among the top five teams in Class 4A during the 80s and 90s (Peoria won titles in '86, '87, '88, and shared one in '94; Cactus was runner-up in '85 and '86) and the Peoria District always had "soft" boundaries - I remember in elementary school being told we'd be able to choose Centennial, Peoria, or Cactus. Boundaries were always in flux as new high schools were opened (the district's pencil-necked forgotten child Ironwood opened in '86, Centennial in '90, Sunrise Mountain in '96, Kellis in '02, and Liberty in '06) so it wasn't until about '04 when things really steadied out. 

Big thing was in that first decade things never bottomed out - they were good for four to six wins just about every year so it was one of those things where they would do just enough to keep the status quo in place and by the turn of the century the tides turned enough for the program to elevate itself.

Congrats on the W.  I think I forgot to mention earlier.  Thx for the info.  
You went 2-0 w Basha holding on.  Interesting Hamilton going for 2.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Congrats on the W.  I think I forgot earlier.  Thx for the info.    You went 2-0 w Basha holding on.  Interesting Hamilton going for 2.  

If you followed the updates you'd notice Chandler went for two on their last touchdown that - even though they converted - really accomplished nothing and would have prevented them from winning in regulation with a field goal. Something in the water I suppose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

If you followed the updates you'd notice Chandler went for two on their last touchdown that - even though they converted - really accomplished nothing and would have prevented them from winning in regulation with a field goal. Something in the water I suppose.

I did!  It might have been my last post asking about the HC.  

I saw 29-20 and then 29-28 and thought to myself why?   You’re down 29-26.  Why would you not kick the PAT to eliminate a tie game possibility (especially based on the time left).  

Smart minds think alike. :)  

• dntn31 unpinned this topic