Centennial, CA 42 vs Liberty, AZ 35 (F)

On2whls

• dntn31 changed the title to Centennial, CA 42 vs Liberty, AZ 35 (F)
23 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Nice win for the Huskies

Every win is a good win, but for the turnovers and penalties, they could have won by 3 scores. 

I thought for sure Liberty’s defense was going to be better than what we saw tonight.  

Although the Liberty coach clearly knows a thing or two about offense, I think he screwed up slowing down the clock in the second half of the third quarter and in the fourth.  Maybe he was giving his D time to rest?   It played int Cen10’s hands though.  It allowed their D to catch a breath or two and get a couple of badly needed stops.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Ooof,  artist formerly known as watchlist for next season?  @Wooderson

I think at this point they're less of a "formerly known as" more of back to what they formerly were. I think they're on par with where they were in 2017-18 (a smallish metro enrollment school that could play reasonably above their weight class) versus the legitimate Open Division contender they've been ever since. Of course at this point last year they had three losses and had to run the table just to make the Open Eight, so they're not yet in uncharted waters. They come to the westside next week to play my wild dogs so I'll have a better read on them (and my guys) then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

I think at this point they're less of a "formerly known as" more of back to what they formerly were. I think they're on par with where they were in 2017-18 (a smallish metro enrollment school that could play reasonably above their weight class) versus the legitimate Open Division contender they've been ever since. Of course at this point last year they had three losses and had to run the table just to make the Open Eight, so they're not yet in uncharted waters. They come to the westside next week to play my wild dogs so I'll have a better read on them (and my guys) then.

I’ve gotten to see a lot of good teams come to Centennial and Liberty has one of the best and most creative offenses I’ve seen.  They, like Cen10, just need a little more on defense.  Physically they reminded me of Liberty AZ from a few years back.  Lots of size. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Although the Liberty coach clearly knows a thing or two about offense, I think he screwed up slowing down the clock in the second half of the third quarter and in the fourth.  Maybe he was giving his D time to rest?   It played int Cen10’s hands though.  It allowed their D to catch a breath or two and get a couple of badly needed stops.  

Friend of mine who's a Liberty backer texted me that their D was gassed towards the end of the 1st half, and I'm sure that wasn't lost on their HC. Fourth quarter was eerily similar to their playoff loss to Saguaro last season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Maybe a little lost in all this was the play of Cornell Hatcher.  He had two late runs that made the Liberty defense look like they were trying to catch crickets. Cen10 fans are blessed to always have a running back that you just dont know when he’s gonna break one off. 

I was wondering why CC didn’t stick to the run game more? 

9 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Just saw the final score.  😮

11 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Friend of mine who's a Liberty backer texted me that their D was gassed towards the end of the 1st half, and I'm sure that wasn't lost on their HC. Fourth quarter was eerily similar to their playoff loss to Saguaro last season.

Liberty probably not used to the heat. It gets hot in that part of California (IE) 😂.

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, On2whls said:

Maybe a little lost in all this was the play of Cornell Hatcher.  He had two late runs that made the Liberty defense look like they were trying to catch crickets. Cen10 fans are blessed to always have a running back that you just dont know when he’s gonna break one off. 

Great job Huskies! 
Now they need to study that playbook from Kahuku to upset SJB if they meet in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Great job Huskies! 
Now they need to study that playbook from Kahuku to upset SJB if they meet in the playoffs. 

They really need to allow Longstreet to develop comfort slinging the ball around more during league play where they have a much greater margin for error, and he can become a more confident and effective passer.  They’ll need to work on progressions too as he’s shown a tendency to lock onto the primary receiver.  A shoulder or pump fake now and then wouldn’t hurt either. He’s got good enough receivers to help loosen up the defenses and establish more balance in the offense.  They aren’t going to be able to run for 300+ yards against SJB and those wide receiver screens they run a lot of have been shaky at best. 
He’s proven to be a pretty effective situational runner but it’s his arm we want to see results from. 

• Like 1