De La Salle vs. Serra San Mateo

QPRTrinity

There's a lot of info in this discussion I tend to agree with (in regards to the decline of DLS football in the last decade). One more thing I'd add is the Diablo Valley Youth Football Conference (DVYFC) folded back in 2015 or 2016 I think. DVYFC was the premier youth football league of the east bay/contra costa county area for roughly half a century. It was comprised of 18 different teams stretching from Napa to Livermore. Most DLS players that participated in football prior to high school came from this league. Each of the 18 teams had 5 age groups (Scout, Jr. Peewee, Peewee, Jr. Midget, Midget) with a maximum 35 players per squad. That's over 3000 kids. Since the league folded, some of these youth teams still exist, but overall participation is WAY down (as I assume it is elsewhere in the country). This is also reflected in the roster sizes around the Bay Area high school football programs. Nowadays it's even rare for many high schools in the area to field freshman teams. My high school was a very mediocre program in the area that always seemed to have less guys on our sideline than the opponent, but even my freshman team had 40 guys on it. Overall, demographics seem to also be playing a part.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nicoturned13 said:

There's a lot of info in this discussion I tend to agree with (in regards to the decline of DLS football in the last decade). One more thing I'd add is the Diablo Valley Youth Football Conference (DVYFC) folded back in 2015 or 2016 I think. DVYFC was the premier youth football league of the east bay/contra costa county area for roughly half a century. It was comprised of 18 different teams stretching from Napa to Livermore. Most DLS players that participated in football prior to high school came from this league. Each of the 18 teams had 5 age groups (Scout, Jr. Peewee, Peewee, Jr. Midget, Midget) with a maximum 35 players per squad. That's over 3000 kids. Since the league folded, some of these youth teams still exist, but overall participation is WAY down (as I assume it is elsewhere in the country). This is also reflected in the roster sizes around the Bay Area high school football programs. Nowadays it's even rare for many high schools in the area to field freshman teams. My high school was a very mediocre program in the area that always seemed to have less guys on our sideline than the opponent, but even my freshman team had 40 guys on it. Overall, demographics seem to also be playing a part.

This is so true!!!….And the Youth programs that are left here are all feeding the public Schools…. 

I think the other big issue with DLS is the Tuition which is now around $23k…. Families are just opting not to go there because of the price and it’s harder to get financial aid to cover the whole cost…. 

If DLS wants to get the best players they will have to give scholarships… The offense they run doesn’t matter…. It’s the winning, playing on ESPN and playing great opponents…. That’s what brings kids to DLS….

But with the cost so high and the fact there are so many really good public schools in the Bay Area, along with the whole change in recruiting, the best players no longer need to spend the money or commute to go to DLS to get noticed…. 

It’s a different time now, if DLS wants to compete for #1 in Nor Cal they have to adapt to the times and give out Scholarships for FB….