DeShaun Watson

steeler01

Seems like many still want to doubt Watson.  Pats boards are split on him - still a lot of Tyrod Taylor (who has played well against us before) comments.  Kid showed the ability to make NFL throws in tight places - and was quite accurate.  He can run, but won't be a running QB.  Keeps getting underestimated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bormio said:

Seems like many still want to doubt Watson.  Pats boards are split on him - still a lot of Tyrod Taylor (who has played well against us before) comments.  Kid showed the ability to make NFL throws in tight places - and was quite accurate.  He can run, but won't be a running QB.  Keeps getting underestimated.

Let me know when someone who actually understands football doubts him

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

That review call was "savage af". 

In the end, the call was correct, which is the intention of the replay/review system, but still... daaaamn! Glad I'm only a Lions fan when they aren't playing someone else I like, and then. only because Stafford played at UGA. 

POETIC JUSTICE, PURE and SIMPLE! DEEtroit didn't deserve to win! Mattie Iceburg decided to screw da pooch yesterday, and it nearly cost um! This game SHOULD have been a LAUGHER! The lion tamers only had 250 yds. of offense!

9 hours ago, Bormio said:

Brady thinks Watson is a stud - has said so.  He is right.

Yep. Leading up to the NFL draft, I told some friends I would have taken Watson #1 overall. He's done nothing to lessen my confidence in him. He reminds me of a cross between Steve McNair and Vince Young. He's a very competent passer like McNair and can run it like Young. He also has that very important trait all the great QB's have in that he can extend plays.

With regard to today's game, I told my son the game was over once Bill O'Brien screwed up the 3rd and 1 play call then opted to kick a FG instead of going for it on 4th and 1/2  a yard. When you have an opportunity to bury the Pats and not give Brady the ball back, you take it. Before the 3rd and 1 play was run, I said I wouldn't run the predictable handoff up the middle, but rather would have faked that handoff and booted Watson. Either that or run QB sneak twice in a row if need be, with the RB pushing from behind. That's a very tough play to stop, let alone twice.

What I wouldn't have done was exactly what Houston and so many teams typically do --- play not to lose. The 3rd and 1 formation and play was too predictable. Then opting for the FG was conservative when a TD would beat you.

Then on defense, the Texans did what most defenses do --- play prevent on 3rd and long. They did it twice and got burned doing it twice. That tactic might work against the Browns or Jaguars, but not against good teams.

Still, the Pats got lucky as they always do, not once but twice, in that they recovered the strip sack fumble and then the Texans DB dropped what should have been a game ending INT. But what else is new? These teams usually forget how to play when facing New England. Lots of stupid tactical errors when it matters most. Houston did it today and both Atlanta and Seattle did it in the Superbowl. Par for the course.

5 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

Yep. Leading up to the NFL draft, I told some friends I would have taken Watson #1 overall. He's done nothing to lessen my confidence in him. He reminds me of a cross between Steve McNair and Vince Young. He's a very competent passer like McNair and can run it like Young. He also has that very important trait all the great QB's have in that he can extend plays.

With regard to today's game, I told my son the game was over once Bill O'Brien screwed up the 3rd and 1 play call then opted to kick a FG instead of going for it on 4th and 1/2  a yard. When you have an opportunity to bury the Pats and not give Brady the ball back, you take it. Before the 3rd and 1 play was run, I said I wouldn't run the predictable handoff up the middle, but rather would have faked that handoff and booted Watson. Either that or run QB sneak twice in a row if need be, with the RB pushing from behind. That's a very tough play to stop, let alone twice.

What I wouldn't have done was exactly what Houston and so many teams typically do --- play not to lose. The 3rd and 1 formation and play was too predictable. Then opting for the FG was conservative when a TD would beat you.

Then on defense, the Texans did what most defenses do --- play prevent on 3rd and long. They did it twice and got burned doing it twice. That tactic might work against the Browns or Jaguars, but not against good teams.

Still, the Pats got lucky as they always do, not once but twice, in that they recovered the strip sack fumble and then the Texans DB dropped what should have been a game ending INT. But what else is new? These teams usually forget how to play when facing New England. Lots of stupid tactical errors when it matters most. Houston did it today and both Atlanta and Seattle did it in the Superbowl. Par for the course.

Good players are almost always luckier.  And no one remembers any good luck that losers had.  Maybe the safety will end up a stud - Landon Collins dropped a game-ending INT vs Brady 2 years ago and the Giants lost.

9 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

POETIC JUSTICE, PURE and SIMPLE! DEEtroit didn't deserve to win! Mattie Iceburg decided to screw da pooch yesterday, and it nearly cost um! This game SHOULD have been a LAUGHER! The lion tamers only had 250 yds. of offense!

I know you aren't a fan of Matt Ryan but I can't see where he screwed the pooch.  One clear interception, yes.  The other two bounced off the hands of the receivers.  I kind of though the division of labor was the QB throws to the receiver and the receiver who is paid millions of dollars to do so is supposed to catch the ball.  Not so sure those were Matt's fault.

8 hours ago, Bormio said:

Good players are almost always luckier. 

True, but there's a difference between creating your own luck and having no control over it. Brady capitalized on the situation, no doubt, but he had zero control over O'Brien making poor decisions, the strip sack fumble bouncing to a Patriot lineman or the DB dropping the INT at after he hit the ground.But, as the saying goes, it's better to be lucky than good. Brady happens to be both! ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

True, but there's a difference between creating your own luck and having no control over it. Brady capitalized on the situation, no doubt, but he had zero control over O'Brien making poor decisions, the strip sack fumble bouncing to a Patriot lineman or the DB dropping the INT at after he hit the ground.But, as the saying goes, it's better to be lucky than good. Brady happens to be both! ;)

And Asante Samuel holds onto a pic in '08 and Welker catches the ball in '12, Brady might have 7 rings.  It all evens out over 18 years.

25 minutes ago, Bormio said:

And Asante Samuel holds onto a pic in '08 and Welker catches the ball in '12, Brady might have 7 rings.  It all evens out over 18 years.

Not exactly, as you can take out the tuck rule game and the gifts Seattle and Atlanta bestowed upon them -- which equates to 3 Superbowls they easily might not have had. I also recall a playoff game against San Diego where Brady threw a game ending INT except that the DB didn't go to the ground and was stripped by Troy Brown. Not sure if that was a season they got to the SB or not (too lazy to look it up), but it still another example of the opposition losing their head.

I don't think one could realistically argue that the Patriots have had more bad luck than good. It's been quite the opposite, and not evening out. In short, trade off the plays you mentioned and the ones I mentioned and it's not gonna be in their favor.