DBP vs DPC

Zipcep

12 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I feel more for PC, my high school. Teams like BG and DLS are also down. Everything's cyclical. It's life. And it's only hsfb in the grand scheme of things. DBP is a better school now than it was 5-10 years ago. And that's all that matters. Next time in town, take a tour. You'll be amazed. 

The irony is the school got better in the last 10-15 years in large part because of the football.  The national recognition on the gridiron attracted more boys who not only played football but other sports too.  The school was able to be a little more selective with admissions and it became a virtuous circle with all aspects of the school improving.  Now they have a shiny new building and the best campus among the Catholics (excluding Delbarton) and that will continue to attract students.  But I wouldn't discount the impact that a bad football program might have on future classes

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I feel more for PC, my high school. Teams like BG and DLS are also down. Everything's cyclical. It's life. And it's only hsfb in the grand scheme of things. DBP is a better school now than it was 5-10 years ago. And that's all that matters. Next time in town, take a tour. You'll be amazed. 

If you say so. Sounds like many excuses but hey it's only HS football.

27 minutes ago, NJ2015 said:

That's 2 years in a row at 1-3 after 4 games.  Who was HC last year?  It isn't just coaching.  It's more of a significant drop off in talent 

True. But when the present coach wins 300+ games, 2 MNC's, numerous national rankings, 9 state titles, 46 game win streak and all the rest then we'll talk.

8 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

True. But when the present coach wins 300+ games, 2 MNC's, numerous national rankings, 9 state titles, 46 game win streak and all the rest then we'll talk.

Oh ok.  We can't talk about 2016 or 2017 without talking about the past or knowing the future.  I don't think anyone is disputing GT's coaching chops. He was and still is the measuring standard.  But even he stopped winning championships every year when less and less talent was coming to and staying at Bosco. I didn't want him to leave.  But in a weird way, he probably got out at the right time as the next few years will be rough at Bosco and probably would have been below his own standard had he stayed. The cupboard is pretty bare

13 minutes ago, NJ2015 said:

Oh ok.  We can't talk about 2016 or 2017 without talking about the past or knowing the future.  I don't think anyone is disputing GT's coaching chops. He was and still is the measuring standard.  But even he stopped winning championships every year when less and less talent was coming to and staying at Bosco. I didn't want him to leave.  But in a weird way, he probably got out at the right time as the next few years will be rough at Bosco and probably would have been below his own standard had he stayed. The cupboard is pretty bare

I'm gonna disagree with you on this point. Bosco is starting almost 10 sophomores, including The QB and RB. The talent is there, just needs to mature. 

1 minute ago, NJSportsfan10 said:

I'm gonna disagree with you on this point. Bosco is starting almost 10 sophomores, including The QB and RB. The talent is there, just needs to mature. 

I hope you are right on the young talent,  especially in the trenches.  Best RB without a line would be tragic 

5 minutes ago, SJR89 said:

DePaul catholic .... is really the only place in the vicinity .... we wanted a prep program at SJR but the archdiocese would not allow it 

There's really no legitimate reason for it.  You hit puberty when you hit puberty.  Life isn't always fair.  But hey if Mommy and Daddy want to spend a little more Green to protect junior and give him a chance at HS glory,  Godspeed 

5 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Smart man, right here. Hard to compete w the SFAs and DPCs of the world w so many sophs. Having a weak junior class won't help next season either. 

Also, DBP has given up 46 fourth quarter points this season. Killer. 

What happened to all that talk earlier about how good the senior-laden line was/is?  Granted, I only saw the SFA game.  But man were they overmatched.  

11 minutes ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

I gotta give credit where credit is due.. @GardenStateBaller Called this about DePaul  even before preason... i did not want to hear it then but I guess it's new times and time to start respecting are Passaic little brothers.. 

The senior group had DePaul went undefeated as freshmen and stayed together at DePaul.  They too benefited from the closing of Paterson Catholic.    If the coaching catches up with the talent, they can be damn good most years 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

DePaul, Saddle River Day and the local parochial elementary schools are the most popular destinations for those in northern Bergen County. Easy peasy. 

Only one Catholic grade school I know even takes 8th transfers and that's my alma mater our lady of mercy .... St. Paul's in Ramsey is a no on that and repeat 8th 

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Smart man, right here. Hard to compete w the SFAs and DPCs of the world w so many sophs. Having a weak junior class won't help next season either. 

Also, DBP has given up 46 fourth quarter points this season. Killer. 

Very rarely are sophomores physically ready to compete at this level of high school football. At this point in time that's Bosco problem, a solid senior class that is doing their best but due to a lack of depth in the junior class, the sophomores are getting thrown into the fire. 

4 hours ago, NJ2015 said:

Hell he had the same record at this time last year and that included a home loss to a bad Moeller team.  Not sure the record would be much different than it is now.  Maybe the team doesn't collapse against Byrnes.  I'll give him that.  But is this product 4 games in much worse than the 2016 edition that got blown out at AHP and SJP and lost at home to Moeller, all with a senior QB considered best in the division?  Heuser has made it more difficult to bring in Football only students and eliminated the 8th grade hold back in2015.  You have been seeing the impact the last 2 years 

Absolute truth.  And regarding Byrnes, maybe they don't collapse after 3 1/2 quarters, but under Toal they may very well not have been ahead after 3 1/2 quarters.  As great as he had been, he had clearly become a dinosaur and needed to move on.  Just wish he had come to realize that on his own.

3 hours ago, Drummer61 said:

.As Jimbo correctly said is that Bosco has their new

young and innovative coach..

He said, his text voice dripping with sarcasm.  So you don't like the word innovative?  How about up-to-date on current coaching best practices?  5+ years ago, Partridge had computers on the sidelines during games and practices giving him video of what had just happened on the field.  Think Toal would have ever had that, or if one of his assistants did, that he would have paid any attention to it?  Doubtful IMO.