1000 pound raw bench press

ChimpGrip

On 9/17/2017 at 1:11 PM, ChimpGrip said:

Would this be the greatest feat of strength ever? Over all strongman lifts too?

Don't think that will be in my lifetime. Back in the 50's the raw record was 500lbs, by the 80's everyone was using a bench shirt and God knows how much juice they were on. But to do a 1000 lb raw I don't think the human body is capable of that. For 800 lbs it's going to have be someone built like Anthony Clark. RIP. 

3 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

Don't think that will be in my lifetime. Back in the 50's the raw record was 500lbs, by the 80's everyone was using a bench shirt and God knows how much juice they were on. But to do a 1000 lb raw I don't think the human body is capable of that. For 800 lbs it's going to have be someone built like Anthony Clark. RIP. 

Anthony Clark was from my hometown! 

Yeah that's all true. And the raw record, as it's gone higher, has progressed much slower. That's to be expected, but it also makes you wonder how much further we can go. 

2 hours ago, 181pl said:

You'd need a KAZ type that really focused on the one lift and had the right body and mass. 800 is more realistic. That could happen within 15 years or less. Not 1000.

800 will happen eventually, the guy who did 739 made it look like he had more in the tank. 

I do think we will see the squat record to continue to increase. 

I remember yrs. ago Anthony did a guest appearance at the opening of our new gym and he was doing reps on the incline with 500 then grabbed the 200 lb Dumbbells that had dust on them cause no one else used them and did some reps with those. On top of all that he was a real nice humble young man. 

Powerlifting is a sport with a small following and the avg. person doesn't even know what "raw" means, so most people aren't even impressed but those who do know can appreciate it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1DayPGA said:

I remember yrs. ago Anthony did a guest appearance at the opening of our new gym and he was doing reps on the incline with 500 then grabbed the 200 lb Dumbbells that had dust on them cause no one else used them and did some reps with those. On top of all that he was a real nice humble young man. 

Powerlifting is a sport with a small following and the avg. person doesn't even know what "raw" means, so most people aren't even impressed but those who do know can appreciate it

Strongman is my personal favorite, but I enjoy the record-setting side of powerlifting. Whether it's someone lifting 2.5x their weight or someone smashing a geared or raw record, at any lift or body weight. Clark definitely raised the bar in the sport, wish he was still around. I bet he would be a 1000 pound bencher!

I plan on breaking many records one day, and being the first man to do things that were seen as "impossible" before. 

12 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Strongman is my personal favorite, but I enjoy the record-setting side of powerlifting. Whether it's someone lifting 2.5x their weight or someone smashing a geared or raw record, at any lift or body weight. Clark definitely raised the bar in the sport, wish he was still around. I bet he would be a 1000 pound bencher!

I plan on breaking many records one day, and being the first man to do things that were seen as "impossible" before. 

Good luck chimpgrip, powerlifting/weightlifting/strongman events all take a toll on the body. I've have 2 surgeries on my elbow and will have a 3rd this winter. And getting some pain in one of my knees that may have been contributed to doing squats way back in the day. 

Forgot to mention A.C. was also doing his normal reverse grip benching. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aZjimbo said:

Now what weight would these guys be lifting if they were all natural?

And how good would some teams be if all their players were natural?

6 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Hey, if back in the day I could 405 natural with a one-ply bench shirt at 185 lbs, I'm sure some well trained monster of a man could do a 650 raw. 

650 sounds possible if the guy is built for it with a big barrel chest and short arms.  

11 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

Good luck chimpgrip, powerlifting/weightlifting/strongman events all take a toll on the body. I've have 2 surgeries on my elbow and will have a 3rd this winter. And getting some pain in one of my knees that may have been contributed to doing squats way back in the day. 

Forgot to mention A.C. was also doing his normal reverse grip benching. 

Thank you!

what made you have to get surgery? Was it severe pain and or something else? I ask because I train my grip and forearms a lot!

i had to give up squats because of a herniated disc, but once I fix that damn thing, hopefully I'll be able to do them again. 

6 hours ago, 181pl said:

Hey, if back in the day I could 405 natural with a one-ply bench shirt at 185 lbs, I'm sure some well trained monster of a man could do a 650 raw. 

My short-term goal is to smash 405 raw by 1. April 2018. I'm training and eating for it! 

I'm all natural and have no plans of ever resorting to drugs to assist. I still have lofty (some say even unrealistic) goals. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Thank you!

what made you have to get surgery? Was it severe pain and or something else? I ask because I train my grip and forearms a lot!

i had to give up squats because of a herniated disc, but once I fix that damn thing, hopefully I'll be able to do them again. 

Had bone spurs on my left elbow prob. from years of doing triceps extensions with curling bar and dumb bells. Pain would be pretty severe if I worked tri's hard or hit a lot of golf balls. Had the surgery by a Sports Dr. at Stanford who is also the Sports Dr. for the Warriors. He had to go in and cut my tricep tendon spread it and shave off the bone spurs then resow the tendon. Was all good then 6 months later I tore the same tricep tendon while benching with dumb bells. Back to surgery and he reattached the tendon with dissolveable pins/screws, one of the pins did not dissolve (go figure) so he has to go back in and remove it and I also have some scar tissue that needs to be cleaned up. As of now I can't completely straighten my arm but I can still lift just not heavy. The days of me lifting heavy are behind me anyways so it's all good. 

12 yrs. ago I had to get a miscrodisectomy on my c-spine as well that could of been from years of doing squats who knows.  

best advice is if you have any types of surgeries don't try and come back too fast. :) 

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

I've needed shoulder surgery for 5+ years. One is dislocated with spurs and the other one has spurs.  Been trying to hold out until I'm 50. 1.5 more years to go. 

Good thing you're not a horse 181pl, otherwise they'd have to shoot you. :P In all seriousness, I wouldn't do surgery unless you absolutely need it. if you do have your shoulder surgery double check with your insurance on the coverage. By the time you add up the dr. visits, MRI, surgeon fee, hospital fee, anes. fee, and rehab fees, it adds up to a pretty penny.  When I hit 50, I decided that my days of heavy lifting were behind me. After 35+ yrs. it was time to give my body a break. I still lift just not like when I was younger. My surgeries were a sign for me to slow it down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1DayPGA said:

Good thing you're not a horse 181pl, otherwise they'd have to shoot you. :P In all seriousness, I wouldn't do surgery unless you absolutely need it. if you do have your shoulder surgery double check with your insurance on the coverage. By the time you add up the dr. visits, MRI, surgeon fee, hospital fee, anes. fee, and rehab fees, it adds up to a pretty penny.  When I hit 50, I decided that my days of heavy lifting were behind me. After 35+ yrs. it was time to give my body a break. I still lift just not like when I was younger. My surgeries were a sign for me to slow it down.

Definatley need it. My arm falls out of socket about 3 times a night when I sleep. It's almost unavoidable. Pain wakes me up every night. At least twice. 

On 9/21/2017 at 10:26 AM, 1DayPGA said:

Had bone spurs on my left elbow prob. from years of doing triceps extensions with curling bar and dumb bells. Pain would be pretty severe if I worked tri's hard or hit a lot of golf balls. Had the surgery by a Sports Dr. at Stanford who is also the Sports Dr. for the Warriors. He had to go in and cut my tricep tendon spread it and shave off the bone spurs then resow the tendon. Was all good then 6 months later I tore the same tricep tendon while benching with dumb bells. Back to surgery and he reattached the tendon with dissolveable pins/screws, one of the pins did not dissolve (go figure) so he has to go back in and remove it and I also have some scar tissue that needs to be cleaned up. As of now I can't completely straighten my arm but I can still lift just not heavy. The days of me lifting heavy are behind me anyways so it's all good. 

12 yrs. ago I had to get a miscrodisectomy on my c-spine as well that could of been from years of doing squats who knows.  

best advice is if you have any types of surgeries don't try and come back too fast. :) 

I will definitely keep that in mind!