Where are the DLS guys?

Sammyswordsman

29 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

These guys are message board posters, not in the loop

You could end every thread with this.

The amount of stuff said on  message boards by guys who aren't in the loop (and that is taken as fact) is beyond the pale.

On September 17, 2017 at 1:12 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

Can't believe the level of Butt hurt being demonstrated this morning.   Sad

Belly Bob is having some health problems and hasn't seen the game yet, though he's not too surprised by the outcome. He thought BG would score about 30, but he hoped that DLS would do better than 7. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Pops said:

Well, you need to leave off some 4* guys for MD '17 -- don't think you needed that qualifier for '96 team

That's cause their was no site ranking players in 1996

But you'd be wrong thinking guys on the bench weren't division 1 or FCS players. Off the top of my head.

Scott Leonard-Arizona State

Scott Lukash-Villanova

Joe Medlin-SMU

Kevin Millhouse-Hawaii

Dustin Davis-West Virginia Wesleyan

15 minutes ago, LOSer said:

Showing that one team in 2017 has more talent than one team in 1996 doesn't prove that one era is more "super" than the other.

The problem is, I can't archive every player from that era, and their was no star rankings. 

Pops is bringing up guys that are ranked as really good players by a site but don't even see the field as evidence of how stacked they are. That happens at every good program. 

Just now, steeler01 said:

Pops is bringing up guys that are ranked as really good players by a site but don't even see the field as evidence of how stacked they are. That happens at every good program. 

It's a Pop move.

He does a version of this with everything.

"I think with the level to which 'stacking' teams has gotten around the country, it is more and more difficult for the ants to compete with the elephants."

DLS isn't an ant though, far from it.  More like an anaconda, and if everything goes right, an anaconda can take down the elephant.  However, fumble twice early against the elephant and the anaconda gets stomped to death.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

These guys are message board posters, not in the loop.

Maybe, which is why I qualified it with "if these guys are to be believed."  But I wouldn't put the quotes up there if there wasn't some reason to believe they might be true.  For example on this one:

21 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Agreed and because of this MD utilized the free agent market to bring in a top nose guard and 2 big time linebackers plus they moved one of their O-linemen from last year to the D-line. Make no mistake, MD saw how Bosco's O-line manhandled them in the finals last year and these moves are a direct result of that. 

There is at least potentially some truth to it as Funa (LB/DE from St Marijuana), Tulihalamaka (DT/ML), Tulialpupu (LB), Ware-Hudson (DL) all transferred in to Mater Dei this year and they fit the broad outlines provided in the quote.

I've not actually watched Mater Dei play yet this year, that will come later, so I don't know which of these transfers are starters.  As for SJB, the quote isn't so specific, they could be talking about Aubrey, but there isn't enough info to really tell.  We do know there are several transfers on their roster, and that super team from 14 had ~22.

Procuring players at the HS level is as old as dirt. Whether from feeder leagues, Catholic grade school leagues, early Pop Warner and others ( holding kids back a year to start KG at 6 rather than 5 is in the mix as well ), it has always been. Various HSAA's around the country over the years have been trying to figure out ways to deal with this perceived problem since the 60's. 

Various programs have always found creative ways to work around new rules instituted by their states and "there-by" have built strong programs. As Steeler and Los correctly pointed out, nothing has changed... the internet just makes it more upfront and in our face where in decades past, it was more closeted to the casual fan.

Relative to DLS, at least prior to 2002 to my knowledge, they attracted players from as far away as Sacramento. They got kids that otherwise would have gone to Grant, Pittsburg or Antioch among others for example. Whether it was a systematic approach to recruiting or simply the athlete's choice to attend DLS due to its reputation is irrelevant... they procured the talent. It proved successful in developing teams that, at that time, were clearly elite. Their 98 team along with 98 MD could and would compete with MD of this year. 

As far as recent editions of DLS from this casual observer's view, they just have not had the talent relative to other programs who have stepped up their efforts, ( 2015 version excepted ) as they did a decade and a half ago. Does that mean they are not going after athletes? I don't believe that for a minute. There are just more options available to kids and DLS football in today's environment may not be their first choice.

HS football is changing with the social media driven times and it is slowly gravitating toward more of a business proposition rather than a cultural part of the HS experience ( at least at the very highest level ). As more schools adopt the MD, SJB business plan so to speak, as SJC and SFA recently acquiesced to, this will be the norm to be competitive with the very elite. If DLS wants to be consistently successful in their OOS games they will have to do the same.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

We saw you questioning Negro's play calling during the STA game.  Is he a good coach, or is it just talent running around attracted by his ability to make mom's swoon open up their purses and spend the big bucks to sent their sons to SJB?

I know you are not the one questioning the play-calling, but I'm fairly certain a lot of that criticism should go to Re'al for checking out of certain play-calls.

Negro and his staff are the only reason I wasn't worried after last year's regular season loss to MD. They won state last year because they made the mid-season adjustment of moving Wyatt Davis inside to guard and relying more on the run game. Regardless of what your thoughts are re: transfers, the dude has legit football chops. You don't have to look any further than his success at Trabuco, where he wasn't putting together anything remotely resembling a "super team".

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

HS football is changing with the social media driven times and it is slowly gravitating toward more of a business proposition rather than a cultural part of the HS experience ( at least at the very highest level ). As more schools adopt the MD, SJB business plan so to speak, as SJC and SFA recently acquiesced to, this will be the norm to be competitive with the very elite. If DLS wants to be consistently successful in their OOS games they will have to do the same.

Oh sure, put it this way if you want to go and get all succinct on us. ;)  Nicely done.

37 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

I know you are not the one questioning the play-calling, but I'm fairly certain a lot of that criticism should go to Re'al for checking out of certain play-calls.

Negro and his staff are the only reason I wasn't worried after last year's regular season loss to MD. They won state last year because they made the mid-season adjustment of moving Wyatt Davis inside to guard and relying more on the run game. Regardless of what your thoughts are re: transfers, the dude has legit football chops. You don't have to look any further than his success at Trabuco, where he wasn't putting together anything remotely resembling a "super team".

The question is can SJB beat MD this year? Re'al seems to have regressed as a passer. Can the Braves rely on their run game to get past MD? I for one hope so. Go Braves!

Just now, DLS_Spartan said:

Nah I actually do something with my life and not spend all day with over 5k posts on a message board....

xD

Yes!

That's it.

Charge out of the gate calling people bitches and guaranteeing 17-point wins for De La Salle.....

....only to expectantly have "life events" come up at the most opportune time.

1 hour ago, Gospeeder said:

Procuring players at the HS level is as old as dirt. Whether from feeder leagues, Catholic grade school leagues, early Pop Warner and others ( holding kids back a year to start KG at 6 rather than 5 is in the mix as well ), it has always been. Various HSAA's around the country over the years have been trying to figure out ways to deal with this perceived problem since the 60's. 

Various programs have always found creative ways to work around new rules instituted by their states and "there-by" have built strong programs. As Steeler and Los correctly pointed out, nothing has changed... the internet just makes it more upfront and in our face where in decades past, it was more closeted to the casual fan.

Relative to DLS, at least prior to 2002 to my knowledge, they attracted players from as far away as Sacramento. They got kids that otherwise would have gone to Grant, Pittsburg or Antioch among others for example. Whether it was a systematic approach to recruiting or simply the athlete's choice to attend DLS due to its reputation is irrelevant... they procured the talent. It proved successful in developing teams that, at that time, were clearly elite. Their 98 team along with 98 MD could and would compete with MD of this year. 

As far as recent editions of DLS from this casual observer's view, they just have not had the talent relative to other programs who have stepped up their efforts, ( 2015 version excepted ) as they did a decade and a half ago. Does that mean they are not going after athletes? I don't believe that for a minute. There are just more options available to kids and DLS football in today's environment may not be their first choice.

I mostly agree

some comments

1). You are I think innocently misstating DLS's student reach at any time 

2). Of course, teams have had tried to gain advantage since dirt, but there weren't teams in the 60's or 90s or even 5 years ago (besides sta) that put together teams like are being put together now -- it's like saying warfare has always existed when countries are starting to lob nukes at each other

3). My original point before we digressed was just that DLS will elect to NOT attempt to keep up with the handful of schools that have gone nuclear and will be content wherever that leaves them 

On 9/13/2017 at 11:56 AM, DLS_Spartan said:

DLS wins by 13. /thread

On 9/13/2017 at 2:24 PM, DLS_Spartan said:

When DLS wins Saturday, you gonna come back on here and admit how idiotic you are?

On 9/13/2017 at 5:05 PM, DLS_Spartan said:

DLS hater. GTFO no one likes a negative nancy

On 9/13/2017 at 5:11 PM, DLS_Spartan said:

Stop talking crap about DLS. They're gonna win and win big Saturday night. Once they do, I expect you to come back apologizing and begging to be reinstated into an actual discussion. 

On 9/14/2017 at 5:14 PM, DLS_Spartan said:

DLS by 17

On 9/14/2017 at 5:53 PM, DLS_Spartan said:

Jealous

3 minutes ago, Pops said:

3). My original point before we digressed was just that DLS will elect to NOT attempt to keep up with the handful of schools that have gone nuclear and will be content wherever that leaves them 

And steeler and myself have been trying to explain to you (the slow one) that DLS has no say in the matter.

They aren't choosing to not be talented.

2 hours ago, Rippers said:

"I think with the level to which 'stacking' teams has gotten around the country, it is more and more difficult for the ants to compete with the elephants."

DLS isn't an ant though, far from it.  More like an anaconda, and if everything goes right, an anaconda can take down the elephant.  However, fumble twice early against the elephant and the anaconda gets stomped to death.

It wasn't intended to imply that DLS is viewed as an "ant."

But the Bishop competitors in Nevada, and the STA competition in FL 7A, and 99% of the non MD, SJB, CC teams in SoCal, and however many years of opponents DLS has gone undefeated against in NorCal, and similar scenarios in many of the states around the country all have 1 or 2 elephants, and hundred of ants. And the elephants are getting bigger.

1 hour ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

The question is can SJB beat MD this year? Re'al seems to have regressed as a passer. Can the Braves rely on their run game to get past MD? I for one hope so. Go Braves!

The good news is that SJB has given up only 13 meaningful points in regulation so far (3 to STA and 10 to Chaminade). MD will be able to score on SJB but I think the SJB defense is the strength of their team this year, which should give them a shot at any game they are in.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DLS_Spartan said:

Shut up bitch

I've been asked by multiple people to do something about @LOSer personal attacks, but can't turn a blind eye when he also gets personally attacked. Can @DLS_Spartan and @LOSer be better and stop the personal attacks? There is valid discussion here and it doesn't need to be diminished with degrading comments.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

The good news is that SJB has given up only 13 meaningful points in regulation so far (3 to STA and 10 to Chaminade). MD will be able to score on SJB but I think the SJB defense is the strength of their team this year, which should give them a shot at any game they are in.

MD will have their hands full when these two meet. If SJB can create a solid running game and limit MD possessions, the game will be a good one.

2 hours ago, dntn31 said:

Is coach Negro willing to move on to sophomore DJ Uiagalelei? I feel that to beat MD this year they are going to need a more balanced attack on offense.

Gorman made a tough decision back in 2014 when they replaced SR Danny Hong with SO Tate Martell. Which in the end proved beneficial for the team.