Where are the DLS guys?

Sammyswordsman

11 minutes ago, Pops said:

Transfer enforcement changed considerably in SoCal 3-4 years ago 

the rule is still the same across the state -- athletically motivated transfers are NOT allowed.  The southern section just elected to ignore or, rather enforce very, very, very loosely

Transfers were worse in the 90's but there wasn't message boards talking about them.

6 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

I doubt Rollinson is going to Claremont to visit a LB and offer him to go to MD. Like the kid needs to go to MD to get to where he's going(Rated a 4 star LB)

Negro coached the youth program in Bellflower, which feeds Poly, Lakewood, Serra, etc...... with all of their top players or did. He also knew the coaches from Carson and Inglewood which also feed top programs in SoCal. It's no coincidence once he got into SJB, the kids started going there. If people know you, they will send their kids there.

Anyone can apply for Financial Aid. I'm not aware of what scholarship you're talking about

Semantics 

i don't want to get into what this school is doing for that kid  it youth leagues have been around forever and something new and different is happening in SoCal (and a few other places/ schools)

that building with black smoke billowing from every window -- I think there's a fire inside

7 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Transfers were worse in the 90's but there wasn't message boards talking about them.

I can't speak to the 90s

i can say that they are many multiples today (in SoCal) of what they were 5 or 10 years ago and I don't remember socal's best team from the 90s (MD) being remotelybas talented as their team now

17 minutes ago, Pops said:

i don't want to get into what this school is doing for that kid

Really?

Then why did you say this?

18 hours ago, Pops said:

SJC seems like they'll want to play and there'll be other movement -- maybe steak dinners will just be included in the BNU admissions brochures and they truly do gather all the available talent within an hour commute from Jersey border -- I think the other trinity schools have expressed intent and just need to get better

45 minutes ago, Pops said:

Are you suggesting the Stache didn't help his once in a generation team come together or negro/ SJB don't have special benefits/ programs/ scholarships for football players?   Really?

1 minute ago, Pops said:

I can't speak to the 90s

i can say that they are many multiples today (in SoCal) of what they were 5 or 10 years ago and I don't remember socal's best team from the 90s (MD) being remotelybas talented as their team now

The 96 team was loaded, but this years team has them. 

Mike McNair(Notre Dame)

Rod Perry(USC)

Joey Boese(Wisconsin)

Kevin MItchell(Oregon)

David Castleton(Ended up playing Baseball at Cal State Fullerton)

Lenny Vandermade(USC)

James Farley(New Mexico State)

Vincent Shinnefield(Fordham)

Nick Stremick(Oregon State)

Scott Panique(Michigan)

youth leagues have been around forever and something new and different is happening in SoCal (and a few other places/ schools)

And if you'd listen instead of yap you'd get what steeler is saying: nothing has changed.

The only thing that's changed, really, is the number of L's on De La Salle's ledger.

I don't remember socal's best team from the 90s (MD) being remotelybas talented as their team now

You said you didn't start following DLS until 2008.

Were keeping up with the daily happenings of the Southern Section 10+ years prior to caring about De La Salle?

1 minute ago, LOSer said:

Were keeping up with the daily happenings of the Southern Section 10+ years prior to caring about De La Salle?

Who was I kidding.

Of course not.

He just said so in this very same thread.

20 minutes ago, Pops said:

I can't speak to the 90s

But then you spoke to the 90's....

21 minutes ago, Pops said:

I don't remember socal's best team from the 90s (MD) being remotelybas talented as their team now

o.O

1997 Poly

Qb-Chris Lewis(Stanford)

HB- Herman Ho-Ching(Oregon)

HB-Larry Croom(Arizona and the NFL)

WR-Kareem Kelley(USC)

WR-Samie Parker(Oregon and the NFL)

WR/TE-Andre Cyrus(Oregon State)

OL-Seth Tago(Sacramento State)

OL-Luis Trujillo(Utah State)

DE-Ryan Iata(San Diego State)

DE-Charles Jones(UNLV)

LB-Herman Ho-Ching(Oregon, also played Lb in the shrine game, but played HB at Oregon)

Lb-Reggie Butler(UNLV)

LB-Dennis Link(UCLA)

CB-Darrell Rideaux(USC)

S-DeShaun Hill(USC)

Missing the rest of the lineman and a guy named Washington in the defensive backfield

22 hours ago, steeler01 said:

SJB hired Negro that's what happened. His connections to the youth programs gets SJB the studs.

Hmmm, I think I've lost sight of the big picture here.  It feels like we are dancing around so many real questions in this thread, it's hard to know where to begin.  One of the arguments appears to be that no amount of hard work will overcome talent, and you stupid people from the north should know by now that NorCal by it's very nature cannot compete nationally.

I don't know Negro, but the above statement appears to be true.  We see the amount of talent on the field every year now.  But if we are to pride ourselves on our objective honesty, it doesn't just stop at his youth coach connections.  No denying 22 transfers on that 2014 team.  And, we now are starting to have open conversations about transfers, from apparently people in the know, that go like this:

16 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Agreed and because of this MD utilized the free agent market to bring in a top nose guard and 2 big time linebackers plus they moved one of their O-linemen from last year to the D-line. Make no mistake, MD saw how Bosco's O-line manhandled them in the finals last year and these moves are a direct result of that. 

15 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

Yep but SJB brought in a lot of transfers on both of their oline to counter MD's moves...let's what happens in 3 weeks

If these guys are right, what exactly is it that we are supposed to be celebrating here?    Is Negro a good coach, a collector of talent, or both?   What does this collection of talent serve -- The game, the school, the players, the man?

By analogy, it's the Barry Bonds question.  Undeniably great natural talent, undeniably enhanced.  Who should we admire more, the player or his pharmacist?

We saw you questioning Negro's play calling during the STA game.  Is he a good coach, or is it just talent running around attracted by his ability to make mom's swoon open up their purses and spend the big bucks to sent their sons to SJB?  What exactly are the hallmarks of a good HS coach, what should we expect of them, and by extension what is the purpose of high school football --  National championships?  Player development? Character?  All of these?  None of these? Are there trade-offs?

If DLS's past is not to be respected for accomplishment simply because of the talent it had relative to NorCal, why should we respect any team anywhere that has more talent now?

Personally, I think a big part of what makes HS football great is that it is the ultimate team game.  If a team comes together, puts in the effort, is well coached, and executes, a lesser amount of talent can overcome a greater amount of talent.  I'm not talking about ant vs elephant scenarios, but within reason we do see this.

If that's not true, and game is just about the DNA that takes the field, that sounds a lot like nihilism.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

The 96 team was loaded, but this years team has them. 

Mike McNair(Notre Dame)

Rod Perry(USC)

Joey Boese(Wisconsin)

Kevin MItchell(Oregon)

David Castleton(Ended up playing Baseball at Cal State Fullerton)

Lenny Vandermade(USC)

James Farley(New Mexico State)

Vincent Shinnefield(Fordham)

Nick Stremick(Oregon State)

Scott Panique(Michigan)

Compare this mega team of the decade to this schools current team and it's not even close 

I don't even know how to access 90s D1 data but is this a single class or any class/ grade that was in team that year

either way, as you acknowledge, doesn't compare to '17 MD:

5* WR  

5* QB

4* ATH

4* DE

4* LB

4* TE

4* LB

4* OL.    Alabama

4* WR    California

4* OG

4* WR.   UCLA

3* RB

3* DE

3 * LB

3* C.     Boise St

3* DT

3* OG

2* DT

2* S 

0* WR with multiple offers Inc Oregon

0* CB with multiple offers Inc Oklahoma

0* ATH with Big West offer

0* TE with multiple offers Inc Oregon

just look at receiving corps for the #1 5* QB in country:

WRs  5*, 4*, 4*

TEs  4* and another with an Oregon offer

2 elite Athletes that look WRish in size

MD '17 will have wind up about 3x the elite players of MD '96, SoCal' mega team of the 90s

2 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Personally, I think a big part of what makes HS football great is that it is the ultimate team game.  If a team comes together, puts in the effort, is well coached, and executes, a lesser amount of talent can overcome a greater amount of talent.  I'm not talking about ant vs elephant scenarios, but within reason we do see this.

I think with the level to which 'stacking' teams has gotten around the country, it is more and more difficult for the ants to compete with the elephants.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Hmmm, I think I've lost sight of the big picture here.  It feels like we are dancing around so many real questions in this thread, it's hard to know where to begin.  One of the arguments appears to be that no amount of hard work will overcome talent, and you stupid people from the north should know by now that NorCal by it's very nature cannot compete nationally.

Sure it will, if the other doesn't work hard too, but that doesn't happen in these team sports.

I don't know Negro, but the above statement appears to be true.  We see the amount of talent on the field every year now.  But if we are to pride ourselves on our objective honesty, it doesn't just stop at his youth coach connections.  No denying 22 transfers on that 2014 team.  And, we now are starting to have open conversations about transfers, from apparently people in the know, that go like this:

These guys are message board posters, not in the loop. SJB success brings in kids that want to play for them. They take them in(Always have) The majority of these kids live within 12 miles of the school.

3 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Is Negro a good coach, a collector of talent, or both?   What does this collection of talent serve -- The game, the school, the players, the man?

I think he's both, I just don't think his offensive coordinator is any good.

If DLS's past is not to be respected for accomplishment simply because of the talent it had relative to NorCal, why should we respect any team anywhere that has more talent now?

I agree, but the one thing I will say is these teams are going out and playing other teams that have as much talent as them.

I like watching two evenly matched teams

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pops said:

Compare this mega team of the decade to this schools current team and it's not even close 

I don't even know how to access 90s D1 data but is this a single class or any class/ grade that was in team that year

either way, as you acknowledge, doesn't compare to '17 MD:

5* WR  

5* QB

4* ATH

4* DE

4* LB

4* TE

4* LB

4* OL.    Alabama

4* WR    California

4* OG

4* WR.   UCLA

3* RB

3* DE

3 * LB

3* C.     Boise St

3* DT

3* OG

2* DT

2* S 

0* WR with multiple offers Inc Oregon

0* CB with multiple offers Inc Oklahoma

0* ATH with Big West offer

0* TE with multiple offers Inc Oregon

just look at receiving corps for the #1 5* QB in country:

WRs  5*, 4*, 4*

TEs  4* and another with an Oregon offer

2 elite Athletes that look WRish in size

MD '17 will have wind up about 3x the elite players of MD '96, SoCal' mega team of the 90s

I only count starters, not guys on the bench that don't play 

37 minutes ago, Pops said:

Showing that one team in 2017 has more talent than one team in 1996 doesn't prove that one era is more "super" than the other.