Where are the DLS guys?

Sammyswordsman

6 minutes ago, Pops said:

i just remember back in 2010, canes would  go nuts if anyone alleged that any sta player transferred in for athletic reasons and/ or was recruited and now from all of those teams, it's not even a shoulder shrug

My reaction hasn't changed one iota.

I could bring up the Caj-induced binge in 2015 when Roger became the head coach. My position (and reaction) has never changed.

4 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Just to throw more fuel on the fire... the GHSA is collapsing ... if it becomes a free for all in GA, which is a talent rich state, thats only going to add more super teams to the mix... there will be 2 or 3 in Gwinnett, maybe 1 in Cobb, and 1 down South. 

Hopefully it doesnt get any worse than it already is...

And half the schools  fielding teams won't be. But Macon, Augusta, Columbus will have an elite team more years than not.

5 minutes ago, Pops said:

This is not the first time I've made similar comments

I know.

That's why I said it.

You sway back and forth between DLS being at the top of the mountain and DLS never being at the top of the mountain again.

The only variable is whether DLS won or lost a big game.

2 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

I don't think Pops knows what those teams had.

STA has had the most NFL players for 7 straight years but Pop thinks teams with a lot of middle of the roster P5 recruits is so monstrous.

10 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

Bottom line is you take DLS out of their element they are an average in OOS games.

I think they are 5-8 in OOS games since 2004 with double digit losses to Belleview, Bosco, STA and BG. 

The difference between this yr's team and it's loss to BG and those other oos losses in 2004, 2009, 2011,2015, was that, yes they lost and played poorly, but those in the know knew that the upside of those DLS teams was way higher than what they played. 2009 was similar to this yr's team only in that they had no qb (musical chairs ). When 2009 found their qb in Houston, were a completly differnt team at end of yr. 2011 was terrible in the beginning, should have lost to a Norcal team, much less than a number 2 team in STA. 2015 what else can you say is that they should have beaten trinity. All teams went on and became signifcantly better. This years team has very limited upside. You can read between the lines and see that the talent level and qb play will never get to an elite level. It is one thing to play bad, its another to play bad and not have the talent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

The difference between this yr's team and it's loss to BG and those other oos losses in 2004, 2009, 2011,2015, was that, yes they lost and played poorly, but those in the know knew that the upside of those DLS teams was way higher than what they played. 2009 was similar to this yr's team only in that they had no qb (musical chairs ). When 2009 found their qb in Houston, were a completly differnt team at end of yr. 2011 was terrible in the beginning, should have lost to a Norcal team, much less than a number 2 team in STA. 2015 what else can you say is that they should have beaten trinity. All teams went on and became signifcantly better. This years team has very limited upside. You can read between the lines and see that the talent level and qb play will never get to an elite level. It is one thing to play bad, its another to play bad and not have the talent.

I'm just stating the facts about what happens to DLS when they travel OOS. I think the record speacks for itself.

8 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

When 2009 found their qb in Houston, were a completly differnt team at end of yr. 

A myth that has been perpetuated despite the obvious facts.

De La Salle trailed Lakeland 14-0 in September and trailed Crenshaw 14-0 in December.

The difference was the pedigree and caliber of the opponent.

13 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

DLS guys should be looking inward for answers rather that taking the easy path and citing the heathen tranfers the "other schools" get.

Something has fundamentally changed at DLS, and I hope the coaching staff can figure it out.  Personally, I don't think the kids care as much anymore, compared to past DLS teams. 

Sammy,

You've written essentially this a couple times now.  I'd like to think about it a bit, and I certainly defer to program insiders.  But my initial reaction is I don't think I see it.

In the state championship last year, they were completely over-matched.  We all knew it going in.  But they played hard all 48, and I thought they represented themselves well, and I certainly wouldn't say they ever quit.  I saw the same thing against SJC two weeks ago.  Last night, it got away from them fast, and a better team beat them -- BG (and MD and SJB) have a lot of athletes to account for, and scheming is going to only go so far.  

I still think they are climbing the learning curve, even last night.  We'll see how they respond.  (and just so it's out on the table now, no I don't think they will win the state championship, it's too great a talent differential)

1 minute ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

We'll see how they respond.  (and just so it's out on the table now, no I don't think they will win the state championship, it's too great a talent differential)

But they will win every other game.

And easily.

4 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

I still think they are climbing the learning curve, even last night.  We'll see how they respond.  (and just so it's out on the table now, no I don't think they will win the state championship, it's too great a talent differential)

I think the same thing when DLS plays the North Coast Section teams. Huge talent difference 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LOSer said:

A myth that has been perpetuated despite the obvious facts.

De La Salle trailed Lakeland 14-0 in September and trailed Crenshaw 14-0 in December.

The difference was the pedigree and caliber of the opponent.

Lakeland was no qb (no Houston ). Turnovers led to the 14-0 deficit against Lakeland and DBP early. Team was really in shambles early in season, even almost losing the next game after Lakeland to a supposed Norcal slacker in AV.  The ship tuned the next game when they inserted soph Houston as qb, and than they started to play like veryone thought they would preseason. By the way, the ebal league Dela played in in 2009 was really tough back then. Changing demographics etc. has made the league a shell of what it used to be. As for crenshaw, yes they did fall behind early, but Dela dominated after that. In fact, that was one weakness that dela team had all year, was they started slow and fell behind every opponant that year to start of games, including most of all norcal opponants. Crenshaw had 4 pros on that team. That was an extremely physical and tough team., though I don't think you will ever ackknowlege that fact. I'll say this, Toal of DBP was quoted after season and stated that DLS defense was by far the best they faced all season. It's just hard when offense spotted teams multiple score leads early on due to turnovers.

Just now, CaliNorth said:

The ship tuned the next game when they inserted soph Houston as qb, and than they started to play like veryone thought they would preseason. 

Then how come they trailed Crenshaw 14-0 just like they did against Lakeland?

I remember that team. You can't fool me with hyper-improvement myths.

1 minute ago, CaliNorth said:

As for crenshaw, yes they did fall behind early, but Dela dominated after that.

And DLS dominated Lakeland, for a stretch, too.

The difference being that Lakeland punched back.

52 minutes ago, LOSer said:

Then how come they trailed Crenshaw 14-0 just like they did against Lakeland?

I remember that team. You can't fool me with hyper-improvement myths.

De'Anthony Thomas (currently with KC Chiefs) went out injured when Crenshaw was up 14-0. He scored both TD's. I remember before he went out DLS was doing a better job of containing him, but we will never know what could have happened had he not been injured. That is basically what happened in the Crenshaw game.

The Lakeland game was very competitive and maybe DLS comes away with the win if they go for the tie in the end and take it to OT, instead of going for 2 and of course we all know they failed.

2 hours ago, LOSer said:

You always credit the winning side right before you moralize and throw shade in an attempt to make yourself feel better.

Anybody who reads this board with any regularity knows this.

Nope

there's just some guys around here that will never be pleased

i have a pretty clean "Great game BG" and was admonished for it recognizing my own teams faults

i adjust 2% and acknowledge dls didn't play well and get accused of moralizing the defeat

i see ive got a fit another 10 posts of yours for every one of mine while i walked away from phone for an hour -- I might selectively respond to a couple if tmyoire being reasonable but don't hold your breath

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

Hell no. Compare 2008-2010 STA to the past 3 teams.

you've completely missed point twice now

let me abridge further -- STA could be considered the forerunner as they were amassing mega-teams from at least '08.  But from '08 to about '13 when IMG came along, SJB went nuts and others in SoCal followed, BG won MNCs with multi-state rosters, they were the only ones and really made efforts to deny anything other than natural matriculation 

wasn't comparing rosters or at least that's not the point

1 hour ago, JCGIII said:

Raiders didn't have to rampage the rather sorry Broward public schools for talent. Most came on their own. Can't blame STA or the kids. You really don't want your children near Stranahan, Dillard, even Plantation, which 40 years ago was an excellent school.

The distinction with DLS is transfers -- the # I remember from back when (think it was concha's but was undisputed to recollection) is sta '10 had 10 D1 transfers

dls probably has had 2 and lost a half dozen in last 10 years

am not trying to discredit sta or any of the others -- it's not an evolution I like, but the game has evolved to create a new stratosphere of teams -- I think there's going to be a small group of teams that are 10+ points better than anyone else going forward 

4 minutes ago, Pops said:

you've completely missed point twice now

let me abridge further -- STA could be considered the forerunner as they were amassing mega-teams from at least '08.  But from '08 to about '13 when IMG came along, SJB went nuts and others in SoCal followed, BG won MNCs with multi-state rosters, they were the only ones and really made efforts to deny anything other than natural matriculation 

wasn't comparing rosters or at least that's not the point

SJB hired Negro that's what happened. His connections to the youth programs gets SJB the studs.

9 minutes ago, Pops said:

i adjust 2% and acknowledge dls didn't play well and get accused of moralizing the defeat

No.

This is why you get accused of moralizing. This is from your first post in this thread. So you got right to the excuses.

2 hours ago, Pops said:

I have my doubts that DLS will ever be at the top of the mountain again -- there is a level of talent accumulation that a handful of schools are playing in an escalating arms race that DLS just won't play (IMHO).

It had nothing to do with crediting the opponent.

You always do that part.......right before you circle back to your real intent: moralizing.

11 minutes ago, Pops said:

i see ive got a fit another 10 posts of yours for every one of mine while i walked away from phone for an hour -- I might selectively respond to a couple if tmyoire being reasonable but don't hold your breath

Don't worry Pop.

We know that you don't have an answer to one of them let alone the other nine.