Where are the DLS guys?

Sammyswordsman

Just now, LOSer said:

You can always count on Pop to throw in a backhanded excuse for the Spartan's failures.

Class and tact have never been his strong suits.

He's basically and excuse-making machine.

That is if he's not lying and/or manipulating the hell out of facts and figures.

Am fairly confident anyone reading your post will see how you're just trying to cherry pick a fight 

I credited BG -- as I did in the game last night and was admonished by your boy steeler that it was more about dls

acknowledged DLS didn't play well

my post above could have been written anytime in last couple or three years -- IMG's ascendency, the Trinity league arms race (after SJB '13, and ignoring transfer rules), BG's 3-peat with CA and HA kids starring, STA's 40 D1s on roster becoming normal 

these teams didn't exist 5-10 years ago, or maybe there was a school that the stars just lined up right (i.e. DLS '99, sta '08, DBP '11). Now, there's a half dozen you can count on every year to have a team like maybe occurred every 5 years.

not an excuse for last night's game -- the discussion was about whether DLS will compete in THAT game

7 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

That is probably correct but I pray it never happens.  The way they do things is the best part of the program imo.  Idc if they ever win a top oos as long as they stay true to who they are.  And that means no recruiting and stacking of rosters.  

Imho.

As long as a student can handle the academic load, recruiting for football skills isn't unethical. When you have an 75 or 80 man roster with 45 prospects, and most are on scholarship,with little or nothing in common with the average student attending said school, then you're a football factory.

10 minutes ago, LOSer said:

The truth is of course a totally different story, Pop.

After having pushed this claim about certain schools accumulating talent since at least 2010, Pop has then claimed that DLS was at various points the national champion in 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015.

So in December of any given year, Pop is perfectly fine claiming that DLS is indeed at the top of the mountain only to moralize and make excuses when they lose (like last night).

This kind of stuff even makes someone like GloryDays roll his eyes at this clown.

You typed this during my last reply

your timing is off

this was not the environment in 2010

IMG has been around 3 1/2 years and least to sjc in their first year by 30+

the trinity league's introduction to this game was SJB '13

BG's OOS kid fueled run was '14-16

STA went from denying what they were doing to acknowledging they're only doing what other top national teams are doing

so, yeah, there's no conflict -- DLS '15 was the best class of kids since late streak and maybe extended DLS's competitiveness for a year or two of transition

these new mega teams aren't unbeatable to the rest of the universe but they create very small margins for error and DLS didn't come close to executing as cleanly (or with as much energy) as they needed 

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Can't believe the level of Butt hurt being demonstrated this morning.   Sad

Sammy, 

You should see it up here...dead bodies strewn everywhere.  I sit here with the knife poised just above my wrist, perhaps the last person alive, writing perhaps my last post...

Before I plunge it in, here is my excuse.  BG was better.  They took a punch (sort of), they adjusted, they filled the gaps,  they were bigger, faster, more athletic, and  they took over the game.  The brewing solution was tasty.

The game has changed Sammy. There is a big drop-off between the top dozenish teams and the next few dozen.  And we all pretty much know who those dozenish teams are, and DLS ain't one of them.  Teams from the next tier can sometimes rise up and steal one, but it's becoming more rare.  What I sort of worry about for the game, that makes it less interesting to me anyway, is I suspect a lot of us may already know pretty well who the better part of the dozenish will be five years from now.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Pops said:

your timing is off

IMG has been around 3 1/2 years and least to sjc in their first year by 30+

the trinity league's introduction to this game was SJB '13

You do realize STA had one of their best teams that year and finished undefeated right?

12 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

That is probably correct but I pray it never happens.  The way they do things is the best part of the program imo.  Idc if they ever win a top oos as long as they stay true to who they are.  And that means no recruiting and stacking of rosters.  

Imho.

In other words you hope DLS folds up the tents.  It's not about OOS, they may not even be a Calif Top 10 team at this point.

DLS should have a monopoly on the Catholic feeder schools within a 25 mile radius, or more.  No reason why they can't compete with Mater Dei. 

2 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Sammy, 

You should see it up here...dead bodies strewn everywhere.  I sit here with the knife poised just above my wrist, perhaps the last person alive, writing perhaps my last post...

Before I plunge it in, here is my excuse.  BG was better.  They took a punch (sort of), they adjusted, they filled the gaps,  they were bigger, faster, more athletic, and  they took over the game.  The brewing solution was tasty.

The game has changed Sammy. There is a big drop-off between the top dozenish teams and the next few dozen.  And we all pretty much know who those dozenish teams are, and DLS ain't one of them.  Teams from the next tier can sometimes rise up and steal one, but it's becoming more rare.  What I sort of worry about for the game, that makes it less interesting to me anyway, is I suspect a lot of us may already know pretty well who the better part of the dozenish will be five years from now.

The recruiting hasn't changed THAT much over the past 10 years.  Yes, maybe a few teams are currently benefiting now, but other teams were benefitting 5 years ago, and other teams were benefitting 10 years ago.  Throughout all this, DLS managed to be in the Top Tier.  Something has changed at DLS more so than with the other Top teams

13 minutes ago, Pops said:

I credited BG -- as I did in the game last night and was admonished by your boy steeler that it was more about dls

You always credit the winning side right before you moralize and throw shade in an attempt to make yourself feel better.

Anybody who reads this board with any regularity knows this.

9 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

As long as a student can handle the academic load, recruiting for football skills isn't unethical. When you have an 75 or 80 man roster with 45 prospects, and most are on scholarship,with little or nothing in common with the average student attending said school, then you're a football factory.

Two things and one you touch on

1). It's about balance -- I think DLS is ok saying "ok, there's a kid or two that are qualified, good kids, and elite athletes" vs, as you said, having a whole team of kids on scholarship (DLS doesn't have any football scholarship money and the annual bill now is $17k+)

2). Despite the price tag, DLS admissions are very competitive -- I don't have current numbers but know they were accepting well below half the applicants when my kids attended.  There was one year where Palmer, which is a very small, even more elite, private school K-8 didn't get any of a dozen or so kids (despite the kids being impressive academicslly) in because DLS prioritized parochial feeders.  Point being, they turn kids that attended K-8 parochial schools every year and that's a conflict when you're taking kids that are truthfully coming in for football 

15 minutes ago, Pops said:

my post above could have been written anytime in last couple or three years -- IMG's ascendency, the Trinity league arms race (after SJB '13, and ignoring transfer rules), BG's 3-peat with CA and HA kids starring, STA's 40 D1s on roster becoming normal 

And as late as two years ago (2015) you claimed that DLS was the national champion.

So at the top of the mountain.

But now (after a humbling loss) you can't see it happening again.

1 minute ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The recruiting hasn't changed THAT much over the past 10 years.  Yes, maybe a few teams are currently benefiting now, but other teams were benefitting 5 years ago, and other teams were benefitting 10 years ago.  Throughout all this, DLS managed to be in the Top Tier.  Something has changed at DLS more so than with the other Top teams

Head Coach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sammyswordsman said:

In other words you hope DLS folds up the tents.  It's not about OOS, they may not even be a Calif Top 10 team at this point.

DLS should have a monopoly on the Catholic feeder schools within a 25 mile radius, or more.  No reason why they can't compete with Mater Dei. 

I guess you could take it that way but that's not exactly right.  They are definitely not top 10 Cali team.  Not by a long shot.  

Lol at the 25 mile radius.  MD is using a 25^2 mile radius.  

16 minutes ago, Pops said:

these teams didn't exist 5-10 years ago, or maybe there was a school that the stars just lined up right (i.e. DLS '99, sta '08, DBP '11). Now, there's a half dozen you can count on every year to have a team like maybe occurred every 5 years.

You've been pushing this argument since 2010.

And at different times claiming that DLS was both at the top of the mountain (2010, 2012, 2014-15) and will never be able to reach the top of the mountain.

11 minutes ago, Pops said:

your timing is off

You have been railing against STA since 2011 and Bishop Gorman since about the same time.

Your lies are just so transparent.

1 minute ago, World Citizen said:

I guess you could take it that way but that's not exactly right.  They are definitely not top 10 Cali team.  Not by a long shot.  

Lol at the 25 mile radius.  MD is using a 25^2 mile radius.  

DLS guys should be looking inward for answers rather that taking the easy path and citing the heathen tranfers the "other schools" get.

Something has fundamentally changed at DLS, and I hope the coaching staff can figure it out.  Personally, I don't think the kids care as much anymore, compared to past DLS teams. 

7 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

You do realize STA had one of their best teams that year right and finished undefeated right?

Yeah, if you read my whole posts, it should be clear that I'm somewhat assigning STA that distinction as the earliest adopter

i just remember back in 2010, canes would  go nuts if anyone alleged that any sta player transferred in for athletic reasons and/ or was recruited and now from all of those teams, it's not even a shoulder shrug

itnis what it is

PS. I think if you were to compare rosters that STA's "roster" has been superior last 3 years or so to the 2010 roster

1 minute ago, Pops said:

Yeah, if you read my whole posts, it should be clear that I'm somewhat assigning STA that distinction as the earliest adopter

i just remember back in 2010, canes would  go nuts if anyone alleged that any sta player transferred in for athletic reasons and/ or was recruited and now from all of those teams, it's not even a shoulder shrug

itnis what it is

PS. I think if you were to compare rosters that STA's "roster" has been superior last 3 years or so to the 2010 roster

Hell no. Compare 2008-2010 STA to the past 3 teams.

9 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Sammy, 

Just to throw more fuel on the fire... the GHSA is collapsing ... if it becomes a free for all in GA, which is a talent rich state, thats only going to add more super teams to the mix... there will be 2 or 3 in Gwinnett, maybe 1 in Cobb, and 1 down South. 

Hopefully it doesnt get any worse than it already is...

4 minutes ago, LOSer said:

And as late as two years ago (2015) you claimed that DLS was the national champion.

So at the top of the mountain.

But now (after a humbling loss) you can't see it happening again.

This is not the first time I've made similar comments

they aren't prompted by a humbling loss, but rather the topic of the thread -- i didn't bring it up

don't always try to pick a fight where there is none

Just now, Pops said:

itnis what it is

Raiders didn't have to rampage the rather sorry Broward public schools for talent. Most came on their own. Can't blame STA or the kids. You really don't want your children near Stranahan, Dillard, even Plantation, which 40 years ago was an excellent school.

4 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

DLS guys should be looking inward for answers rather that taking the easy path and citing the heathen tranfers the "other schools" get.

Something has fundamentally changed at DLS, and I hope the coaching staff can figure it out.  Personally, I don't think the kids care as much anymore, compared to past DLS teams. 

I think you are right about that, at least last night.  Wouldn't have thought it against SJC though.  Night and day.  

They should look inwards.  Right again.