Say it Ain't So!!

ATLien12x

9 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Maybe it does weaken the argument somewhat, but the overall point remains the same. 

Certainly people can see a huuuuge difference in an 8th grader playing through his senior year at a school, that got a couple of other transfers per year in his time there and an obvious stacking/assembly of a virtual, all-metro all-star team with multiple/numerous senior transfers all in one season, at least one of which returned to his original school for graduation after football season was over. The argument for that is virtually, stuff is different up here. This happens all the time, people come and go. 

We know they do, they come, play football, go home to graduate(Kurt Taylor). Y'all had at least one kid that played at three different schools before graduation, but at least he stayed the entire year at each. 

I assure you my indignation is real.  I don't like the trend at all. I can appreciate the arguments for allowing it to go on, but, don't love it, or love the thought process that is creating it. I don't really like it when it happens here either, but, some situations arise at times where I don't absolutely hate it. Seniors moving in to play aren't a good look. It reeks of team stacking and pushing the rules right to the edge of the cliff, and even if inside the parameters of the rules, it seems pretty crappy over-all from a sportsmanship/sporting standpoint.  

Pretty much agree...if a kid transfers after 8th grade, its fair game. 

That said, if he didn’t live in CC during HS, that’s not a good look either. 

5 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

Pretty much agree...if a kid transfers after 8th grade, its fair game. 

That said, if he didn’t live in CC during HS, that’s not a good look either. 

Yeah I agree that it isn't the most beautiful thing that he lived out of the county.

He lived about 4 miles across the county line and was attending a private school in Thomasville before deciding to come to school in Moultrie. It's been argued that it was several miles closer to go to Colquitt than any Thomasville/Thomas County options, but I'm not into trying to figure all that out, and it isn't like half the starters here did that. I'm not completely in the loop with his family, but if I'm not totally mistaken, some of their land/farm is in Colquitt County as well so they had been paying property taxes here. He stuck it out all the way through to graduation here as well. Went from 8-12 and walked to get his diploma here. 

Just now, HawgGoneIt said:

Yeah I agree that it isn't the most beautiful thing that he lived out of the county.

He lived about 4 miles across the county line and was attending a private school in Thomasville before deciding to come to school in Moultrie. It's been argued that it was several miles closer to go to Colquitt than any Thomasville/Thomas County options, but I'm not into trying to figure all that out, and it isn't like half the starters here did that. I'm not completely in the loop with his family, but if I'm not totally mistaken, some of their land/farm is in Colquitt County as well so they had been paying property taxes here. He stuck it out all the way through to graduation here as well. Went from 8-12 and walked to get his diploma here. 

Again, not the best of looks, but we’ve all seen worse. :D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LeftOnBase said:

Fred you are a good guy, but he did say "transferred-up." And, I think you know the difference.

Colquitt only needed ONE sticky name tag for the meet-and-greet of players, and that was for that QB you spoke of. And, I think that meet-and-greet happened when he was in the 8th grade. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Not at ALL the same thing Grayson did for last year. Grayson now has stock in that sticky-name-tag company. LOL.

I do get it and yes, he transferred in the 8th grade.  My only point was without that transfer Colquitt would have been a much different team.  Depending on how you look at it, one critical transfer or 5 is like being pregnant, you either are or you are not - there's no in between.

I guess my issue is with everyone saying we when out looking for these guys and recruited them when we didn't.  I absolutely agree it looks bad but I think I know (maybe I don't) what went on behind the scenes and at least from the school standpoint it wasn't as it appeared.  I know I'll never change anyone's mind about it and I just have to accept that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fred said:

I do get it and yes, he transferred in the 8th grade.  My only point was without that transfer Colquitt would have been a much different team.  Depending on how you look at it, one critical transfer or 5 is like being pregnant, you either are or you are not - there's no in between.

I guess my issue is with everyone saying we when out looking for these guys and recruited them when we didn't.  I absolutely agree it looks bad but I think I know (maybe I don't) what went on behind the scenes and at least from the school standpoint it wasn't as it appeared.  I know I'll never change anyone's mind about it and I just have to accept that.

I don't know whether the kids were recruited or not. There is/was a common connection with a "volunteer" or "community coach" that was in some way "connected" to the program and the majority of the kids that suddenly decided Grayson was the spot.

It appears on the surface that the kids recruited each other, but there is still the other link also, hard to get past that for most.

The worst look is the one that didn't even stay for graduation. Got that ring and then went "home" to graduate. Insanity man, and there is something definitely wrong with that. I don't care what the ruling was from the GHSA. That move was straight garbage.

There was already quite possibly enough talent at Grayson to win that ring anyway, but these seniors all flipping over there in one off season, with all the social media crap and "adult volunteer" connection is not what most people across the state think of when they think sportsmanship and fair. 

It is a shame, because as I said you all maybe could have won the ring either way, but now it has this cloud with it. 

The way it all played out up there last year, honestly, Roswell would probably have got the ring without you all loading up like that. Of course Roswell loaded up too, so it was basically an arms race. 

If Colquitt ever loaded up with senior transfers like that from all across the southland like that, Atlanta would friggen explode, and Colquitt would be sanctioned worse than North Korea.

I could be totally wrong, but this just isn't the way I think the fans across the state want the sport to go. At least not in the public school sector. 

16 minutes ago, 181pl said:

How would win if these played out, Cali v. Georgia?

I'd have to root for Ga. due to lack of private, recruited up super teams in their state. 

1. Mater Dei v. Grayson

2. SBJ v. Colquitt

3. Cen 10 v. Lowdnes

4.  Long Beach Poly v. Archer

5. De La Salle v. Valdosta (tradition bowl)

The way it looks right now and this season only...

Mater Dei

SJB

Centennial, although Lowndes could maybe pull it off. Idk. Pick 'em game.

Archer although could be another pick 'em game.

De La Salle

20 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Maybe it does weaken the argument somewhat, but the overall point remains the same. 

Certainly people can see a huuuuge difference in an 8th grader playing through his senior year at a school, that got a couple of other transfers per year in his time there and an obvious stacking/assembly of a virtual, all-metro all-star team with multiple/numerous senior transfers all in one season, at least one of which returned to his original school for graduation after football season was over. The argument for that is virtually, stuff is different up here. This happens all the time, people come and go. 

We know they do, they come, play football, go home to graduate(Kurt Taylor). Y'all had at least one kid that played at three different schools before graduation, but at least he stayed the entire year at each. 

I assure you my indignation is real.  I don't like the trend at all. I can appreciate the arguments for allowing it to go on, but, don't love it, or love the thought process that is creating it. I don't really like it when it happens here either, but, some situations arise at times where I don't absolutely hate it. Seniors moving in to play aren't a good look. It reeks of team stacking and pushing the rules right to the edge of the cliff, and even if inside the parameters of the rules, it seems pretty crappy over-all from a sportsmanship/sporting standpoint.  

Sorry, I had a business meeting to attend and didn't get to follow up on this post before I went.

I know if you don't experience it, it is hard to believe but people *do* move around up here a lot.  Due to the rapid growth and constant changing attendance boundaries, there isn't the whole loyalty thing going on here that others enjoy.  I won't say if that is good or bad, I just say it is.  Within a ten to twelve mile radius of me there are *ten* 7A football playing schools.  That is something the single school counties just don't have to deal with.  In Colquitt County for example, a family can move anywhere in the county and still attend Coulquitt Co high school.  Nothing changes in that regard.

I wouldn't have any issue at all if the QB's family had moved even if it was after 8th grade.  The fact that they never did from my perspective is thumbing their nose at the rules just as bad as the kids that moved to Grayson.  The numbers are differnt but the intent was the same.  Your take on this is different and I don't have a problem with that.

The elephant in the room is Kurt Taylor and I think what his father had him do just flat out sucked big time.  There is no question about that.  I am convinced it was his father that pushed him to come and it was his father that took him with him when he went back to Covington.  This is my opinion and I don't have facts to back that up. I'm just going on what I know transpired.  Contrary to what some say, everyone else graduated from Grayson, some early to early enroll in college, the others at the end of the year.  I would have preferred that they all not come.  I tend to think it was Jamyest's father pushing him to move around so much but I could be wrong on that.  Yes there are those that will push the rules up to the edge.  There isn't a whole lot that the individual schools can do about it if they want to stay out of court.

I grew up in a time where people didn't move around and even though it was in the metro area there just wasn't that much moving around.  In the Metro area that doesn't hold true any more.  It doesn't matter what I think or like, it just is.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Paying taxes is not the deciding factor.  The GHSA addresses that with the rule that the primary residence in case of multiple homes is the one the homestead exemption is claimed on.  I don't buy the argument about the distance because there are always cases of kids at the very edge of the district having the longest commute.  The big fact is he never lived in Colquitt Co yet went to school there.

I'm really not trying to rag on you at all.  I'm pretty sure if we looked at all the schools there are examples to be found at each and every one.  I wasn't happy about the way things played out last year for us in terms of the transfers but it is and was legal and there wasn't anything I could do about.  I just grow tired of many pointing their fingers with many of them being so sanctimonious when their programs aren't as pure as the driven snow either.  Again, that is not directed at you as Ihave found you to be thoughtful on the subject but there are those that aren't.

• Like 1