Ohio Week 4 Discussion/Predictions

Coletrain06

54 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

I said after Week 1 against West that Elder wasn’t that impressive. 

0-3 in the GCL wouldn’t shock me. 

First I've seen Elder this year, and I can't imagine that team beating any of X, LaSalle, or Moeller at this point. Maybe the long trip played a part. Maybe they just didn't have it tonight. But that didn't even look like a playoff team. The Elder folks had concerns about their secondary, and that certainly proved true as Kent and Maddox tore them up, but they said they felt good about their d-line and Lb's. Ed's O-line ate them up and Castleberry and Rice picked up a ton of yards after contact. The one Castleberry run where he shook the guy off his leg and broke it up the sidelines for six was filthy. 

I was more surprised by the overall lack of offense from Elder. They had a lot of guys back from last years team that played pretty well against Ed's last year. The pressure being dialed up by Ed's probably played the biggest role in that. Elder thrives on the quick, underneath routes to keep the sticks moving. Ed's was bringing LB's, safeties, and corners from everywhere. The Elder QB had a guy in his face almost as soon as he got into his drop. Great game plan tonight from the Ed's staff. The difference in team speed was very apparent.

1 hour ago, OdbCle said:

First I've seen Elder this year, and I can't imagine that team beating any of X, LaSalle, or Moeller at this point. Maybe the long trip played a part. Maybe they just didn't have it tonight. But that didn't even look like a playoff team. The Elder folks had concerns about their secondary, and that certainly proved true as Kent and Maddox tore them up, but they said they felt good about their d-line and Lb's. Ed's O-line ate them up and Castleberry and Rice picked up a ton of yards after contact. The one Castleberry run where he shook the guy off his leg and broke it up the sidelines for six was filthy. 

I was more surprised by the overall lack of offense from Elder. They had a lot of guys back from last years team that played pretty well against Ed's last year. The pressure being dialed up by Ed's probably played the biggest role in that. Elder thrives on the quick, underneath routes to keep the sticks moving. Ed's was bringing LB's, safeties, and corners from everywhere. The Elder QB had a guy in his face almost as soon as he got into his drop. Great game plan tonight from the Ed's staff. The difference in team speed was very apparent.

Hey back to back weeks when they held their back to 15 yards  on 15 carries.

kast week 3 yards on 7 carries for the USC commit  

they look good

9 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

I have a pretty clear Ohio top 5. 

1 St. Edward

2 St. Ignatius

3 St. X

4 La Salle

5 Colerain

After that there's a ton of teams that you could fill the rest of the top 10 with. Hard to judge right now. Moeller, McKinley, Mentor, Centerville, Trotwood-Madison, Pick Central, Hoban, Whitmer....

Maybe Toledo CC instead of Whitmer? 

10 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Sept 18 AP poll

iggy

x

stow

eds

mckinley

whitmer

centerville

fairmont

h bradley

wayne

No Colerain, Moeller or PC

I wonder where they get these clowns from to vote. 😩

Agree with 'train06 to a point.  I do believe that St. Ed's, St. I's, StX, and Colerain should be in the Top10.

As for the AP, what a joke.  These writers will always put their 'local' in their picks.  

How does StX outpoll first place votes (15-8) with St. I's and still be 7 points behind?

Simple answer, many writers did not vote X second or third.  

Back to the first line... Those four will all be there at the end of the year, little doubt in my mind.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Bet Moeller beats St. X.

Don't think so....  most overlooked piece of StX success so far is their defense.  Everyone talks about the offense (which has been very productive, and consistent).  But the defense has given up 1 TD the last 3 games, and in the last two game (with running clocks in both) the TD's given up where in the last minute against backups.  Moeller will have trouble with the X front 6,  look for them to try and exploit the secondary of X.  10-14 point win for X.... IMO.

I agree that there is a definitive top five right now, and I'd have them as follows: 

1. St. X

2. St. Ignatius

3. St. Edward

4. LaSalle

5. Colerain

Arguments can be made for 1-4 being in any order, but I give the nod to the reigning champs right now. Ignatius gets the edge over Ed's right now based on schedule strength. LaSalle comes in at four because I'm not sold on their offense yet. A two-loss Colerain gets the nod at 5 over some other undefeateds who haven't played the schedule the Cards have to date. 

My next 10 (and you can probably jumble most of these teams in a hat together):

6. Moeller

7. Trotwood-Madison

8. Pick Central

9. Canton McKinley

10. Centerville 

11. Whitmer

12. Wayne

13. Mentor

14. Hoban

15. TCC

Others for consideration among the top 25: Pick North, Stow, Hilliard Bradley, Olentangy Orange, Elder, Solon, Winton Woods, Euclid, Northmont, Avon 

34 minutes ago, prepsbill65 said:

Don't think so....  most overlooked piece of StX success so far is their defense.  Everyone talks about the offense (which has been very productive, and consistent).  But the defense has given up 1 TD the last 3 games, and in the last two game (with running clocks in both) the TD's given up where in the last minute against backups.  Moeller will have trouble with the X front 6,  look for them to try and exploit the secondary of X.  10-14 point win for X.... IMO.

Moeller will be the best offense they've seen this season, up to this point.  May be the best offense they see all season.