Bergen - MD

covercorner

2 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

Recently, as in last 2 years ? Or always ? 

It was that way in during MD's dominate run in 90s, and its been more recently. To illustrate what I'm saying.. below are teams who were strong consistent winning programs when they played MD for "1st" time (since Rollinson's been coach). 

`97 Los Alamitos - MD played them in a semi-final game, and head coach was quoted on TV that MD was so much faster, hit harder and was plain better than them. Ive never seen a look of shell shock on a coaches face. Actually this was the 2nd time MD faced Los Al, in First meeting in `94 MD snapped Los Al's 47 game winning streak, but in `97 Los Al had a team that was somewhat like an MD team today, full of D-1 studs and MD took it to them. 

`10 San Clemente -  lost 42-13 that year San Clemente finished 8-3.  

`13 Upland -  lost 44-13 Upland finished 9-4 on the year. previous year 12-2

`14 Villa Park - lost 63-0 Villa Park finished 9-3, previous three seasons were 42-6.  3x CIF championship runners up during those years.

`15 La Mirada - lost 42-17  La Mirada finished 12-2 CIF and State Champs. was 9-2 previous year. 

`16 Bishop Gorman - lost 35-21 .. most recent team who said toughest opponent played by far.. 

My point is... teams playing MD for the first time don't believe Mater Dei is that physical and hard hitting as advertised... until they actual play them, experience and understand how far of gap the physical nature MD is from most teams. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, covercorner said:

It was that way in during MD's dominate run in 90s, and its been more recently. To illustrate what I'm saying.. below are teams who were strong consistent winning programs when they played MD for "1st" time (since Rollinson's been coach). 

`97 Los Alamitos - MD played them in a semi-final game, and head coach was quoted on TV that MD was so much faster, hit harder and was plain better than them. Ive never seen a look of shell shock on a coaches face. Actually this was the 2nd time MD faced Los Al, in First meeting in `94 MD snapped Los Al's 47 game winning streak, but in `97 Los Al had a team that was somewhat like an MD team today, full of D-1 studs and MD took it to them. 

`10 San Clemente -  lost 42-13 that year San Clemente finished 8-3.  

`13 Upland -  lost 44-13 Upland finished 9-4 on the year. previous year 12-2

`14 Villa Park - lost 63-0 Villa Park finished 9-3, previous three seasons were 42-6.  3x CIF championship runners up during those years.

`15 La Mirada - lost 42-17  La Mirada finished 12-2 CIF and State Champs. was 9-2 previous year. 

`16 Bishop Gorman - lost 35-21 .. most recent team who said toughest opponent played by far.. 

My point is... teams playing MD for the first time don't believe Mater Dei is that physical and hard hitting as advertised... until they actual play them, experience and understand how far of gap the physical nature MD is from most teams. 

You make it sound like MD is the reincarnation of the Steel Curtain. Tone it down a little bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nptb17 said:

Blow this thread up.  The outcome is a forgone conclusion  MD big.  We got people talking about 2009 Don Bosco like that has anything to do what's about to take place.

Exactly. Some are using the BC games versus Gorman and IMG from years past to make a point about this weekend's game against MD. Those games have absolutely zero relevance to this year's team or game.

Just now, Bodysurf said:

Exactly. Some are using the BC games versus Gorman and IMG from years past to make a point about this weekend's game against MD. Those games have absolutely zero relevance to this year's team or game.

The team that played against IMG at this point seems to be better then the team thats on the field today at BC

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Won't MD be the closest opponent in quality to IMG for BC? If that's true, it shows that BC was able to hang w an elite Top 5 team. If they showed well then, why not Saturday night? Show me an example of any OOS game in which BC didn't compete well and play formidably. 

what would u consider not competing well?

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Won't MD be the closest opponent in quality to IMG for BC? If that's true, it shows that BC was able to hang w an elite Top 5 team. If they showed well then, why not Saturday night? Show me an example of any OOS game in which BC didn't compete well and play formidably. #proudprogram

I agree that MD will be an equally high quality opponent as IMG and Gorman. No doubt. And BC has indeed historically fared well in OOS games. My point is that every year the team is different so past history does not necessarily predict what happens now, especially since the teams are different.