DLS-Gorman

Rippers

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Before I even read this thing...

I just want to say that these Cali schools are experts at picking what year to battle with oos schools like BG. 

Mater Dei and DLS both timed this out perfectly.

Now I'll read the thread and see what everyone else has said. 

We knew you would say that

😄 

And we knew when. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Here are the best examples of cherry picked OOS games on the part of dls. So that everybody from coast to coast can  make their own conclusions.

OOS teams with new coaches

2002 St Louis School (Hawaii) 11-2*

Rookie HC Delbert Tengan

Cal Lee left the HC position in 2001

Lost to DLS

2011 STA  10-3

Rookie HC Rocco Casullo. After George Smith Retired.

Beat DLS

2012 Mullen (CO) 6-5

New HC Tom Thenel

Lost to DLS

2014 Byrnes (SC) 12-2

Rookie HC Brian Lane

Lost to DLS

2015 Euless Trinity

Rookie HC Chris Jensen

Beat DLS

And let's not forget this ODD game.

2001 LB Poly*

Rookie HC Raul Lara. After Jerry Jaso's retirement.

You are welcome!

You really suggesting DLS played arguably a top 5 all time football team loaded in talent just to avoid one of their lesser teams?  Or to avoid playing against a coach?  They were 1 and 2 in the country according to some.  

II'll see your welcome and raise you a thank you.  

1 minute ago, World Citizen said:

You really suggesting DLS played arguably a top 5 all time football team loaded in talent just to avoid one of their lesser teams?  Or to avoid playing against a coach?  They were 1 and 2 in the country according to some.  

II'll see your welcome and raise you a thank you.  

DLS would be taking less grief if they just scheduled something something valley again.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

DLS would be taking less grief if they just scheduled something something valley again.  

No kidding

two weeks ago, it was DLS shouldn't be a top 25 team coming off one of their worst teams in 25 years and BG was 3x defending MNC and top 3 (to the best of my recollection, in polls in general, maybe 3ish -- my memory is md, IMG, BG, sjb, sta -- I could be wrong and do not guarantee that my assertions are always entirely accurate -- reader be warned)

now, DLS snookered BG on an off year

fwiw, I think I was an early convert of steeler's assertions that this wasn't last year's BG team -- I rememer a post where cited something like 9 (again, caveat emptor) 3-year starters BG lost -- I have not said I think DLS wins but I did say I thought BG would start 2-2 (after Dematha and before MD, meaning 2/3 of MD, MC, and DLS) -- I hope I was wrong

DLS would have beaten Gorman in 2011, 2012, 2013. In 2014, Gorman's first legitimate contender for a national title, would have been a pickem game vs. DLS.  In 2015, DLS would have beaten Gorman. In 2016, Gorman had their best team ever, mainly because they  had a defense to go with their offense. 2016 was DLS's worst team since I started following them in 1991. This year DLS has a fighter's chance, though Gorman should be the definite favorite. This DLS team is unproven, new quaterbacks, horrible DB's, no passing game. Gorman has way more upside than their record shows. I personally think they were a little deflated after losing to MD and having their 58 game win streak snapped, no disrespect for MC. I look for Gorman to rebound much better this game vs. DLS, though I'm pulling for Spartans and give them a chance.

2 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Oh snap, here we go!  No legit DLS bashing would be complete without mention of the hyper-improvement theory! xD

OOS record is the hater's number one go-to

if DLS gets the win (big if -- count me in pick em camp), it's very possible that their two biggest OOS wins ever will both be this year 

that'd put a nice dent in that

haters really rooting for BG just for that alone

3 minutes ago, Pops said:

if DLS gets the win (big if -- count me in pick em camp), it's very possible that their two biggest OOS wins ever will both be this year 

2 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Its not a theory but a scientific fact proven by NASA.  😲

Seriously though I believe they do more than most. 😌

Haha! Good stuff!  I agree also. Like other teams, they do get better as the season goes. I know others will try to discredit the theory, but the type of offense that they run, predicated upon precision and recognition, will only get better through rep after rep...especially when they've got a young QB and OL. 

5 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

DLS would have beaten Gorman in 2011, 2012, 2013. In 2014, Gorman's first legitimate contender for a national title, would have been a pickem game vs. DLS.  In 2015, DLS would have beaten Gorman. In 2016, Gorman had their best team ever, mainly because they  had a defense to go with their offense. 2016 was DLS's worst team since I started following them in 1991. This year DLS has a fighter's chance, though Gorman should be the definite favorite. This DLS team is unproven, new quaterbacks, horrible DB's, no passing game. Gorman has way more upside than their record shows. I personally think they were a little deflated after losing to MD and having their 58 game win streak snapped, no disrespect for MC. I look for Gorman to rebound much better this game vs. DLS, though I'm pulling for Spartans and give them a chance.

Awesome post 

minor nit picks, 

1) I think '16 ranks above '04 and '05 

2) I think it's more 50/50, but that's up from 1 in 3 last week -- I understand and agree BG maybe best 1-2 team in hsfb history (maybe '09 DLS 🤠) -- I may be counting on BG still having a hangover a bit in being more optimistic than you -- I think DLS will bring their A game and I think that'll beat anything except maybe BG's A-game -- I like DLS O v BG D match up -- don't like the mobile QB (hope he's in his own head a bit) 

their QB didn't even mention DLS when a reporter asked him about big games this year

1 minute ago, Blueliner said:

especially when they've got a young QB and OL. 

OL returned in tact, didn't it?

i think offense is going to score -- I think they're taking some heat for a lackluster game against SF and SF is going to turn out to deserve more credit than they're getting 

would like to see some their Y-pops to TE v BG -- gotta keep #10 honest.  That guy is a beast

Bg QB worries me but he seems rattled -- hope his girlfriend broke up with him this week 

12 minutes ago, Pops said:

What's funny is look what happened to BG. If you play top teams from other states, you're gonna win some and lose some. Only teams like DBP, IMG, STA, SJB, and BG will win most because they're recruited up factories host will beat pretty much anyone in the top 100 consistently. Teams like DLS, although great programs, are gonna go 50% if you play elite teams just because they're not going to have 15 D1s in their team. I wish DLS would just feast off of second tier OOS teams like so many others do so we can put the OOS thing to bed.

2 minutes ago, Pops said:

OL returned in tact, didn't it?

i think offense is going to score -- I think they're taking some heat for a lackluster game against SF and SF is going to turn out to deserve more credit than they're getting 

would like to see some their Y-pops to TE v BG -- gotta keep #10 honest.  That guy is a beast

Bg QB worries me but he seems rattled -- hope his girlfriend broke up with him this week 

1. OL has 3 new starters. Well technically only 2. Ogburn was a starter last year but broke his arm in the second game and was out for the season. 

2.  I agree. They'll score. They'll be up for this game.

3.  I'm thinking the gameplan will be the same "but different" somehow. I don't believe that the coaches believe that they'll just be able to dive BG to death. I think they have a chance. They'll make a good showing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blueliner said:

Only teams like DBP, IMG, STA, SJB, and BG will win most because they're recruited up factories host will beat pretty much anyone in the top 100 consistently. 

You forgot to put Mater Dei on your list. 

Heck you can even add on Saguaro to your recruited up list. They had 11 transfers in last year. I'm not sure how many they had this year. 

14 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

You forgot to put Mater Dei on your list. 

Heck you can even add on Saguaro to your recruited up list. They had 11 transfers in last year. I'm not sure how many they had this year. 

It is what it is

i protested for a long time but the genie is not going back in the bottle 

• Like 1

I can't thank you guys enough.  As upset/concerned as I have been, this thread had me in almost tears.  For once, a BG thread has not been totally taken over by other states & this thread has been quite entertaining.  I've often thought about this week vs Pops & the DLS guys, but things have not been as expected & it has become quite comical & I'm really enjoying my change in mood.  

Not going to hand pick everything to comment on but one really stood out to me by the most die hard of all die hard DLS fans.

"BG milking the human pollsters system by getting a big win or two early and then hiding rest of year..."   

Are  you F'n kidding me?  What if we hid the entire season and had 1 $$$$ game to end the season?  But maybe I just do not understand the Trinity/BNU/TX...hell even GA in state runs are the same as the always stellar NORCAL grind.

To be fair, you could make the argument that MD & DLS hand picked BG this year, but you also need to give them some credit for putting us on their schedule - being 3x reigning USAT MNC (Pops new favorite poll).  When the games were set, no one knew the issues BG would face starting right after this past season (transfers out...to put it politely, losing OC a week prior to DeMatha, pretty much drama since January).  Any team trying to make a run at a MNC needs to play big time teams & you can't keep winning every game.  There will be times when you step up and play an OOS or top tier opponent & you will lose (lets say a team like Bellevue in 2004).

As far as rivalry or hatred of BG towards DLS:  Yea, the old CHS coaches (only 3 left on staff)  would love nothing more then beating them, but honestly the kids only know about DLS & "the streak" because of that lame movie & their inherited yearly rankings .  Seniors were only maybe 5 or so when the streak was snapped & in 5th grade when the two met in 2010.  But they do know DLS is legit and know what is at hand.

I was hoping more would be at stake with this game, but did not realize what could be at stake in this game...BG wise. Regardless of the outcome, both teams should run through their league opponents & will be probably playing in a big state game come December.  However, I think DLS can overcome a loss far more than BG can.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pops said:

It is what it is

i protested for a long time but the genie is not going back in the bottle 

I'm with you...it is what it is.  

We obviously have been on the beneficial end of the transfer thing for a few years during our MNC run, however this year their are only a handful.  The thing that excites me most is that next year, looking at both sides of the ball, we could very easily have near 20 starters that are LV kids.  Sure, people will say we hand picked all the 702 kids, but that's not really the case.  We will have a bunch of the good ones, but not a complete sweep, by any means.  It will be nice seeing a bunch kids who played against or together in youth ball once again take the field together.

• Like 2