Reflections from a BG fan, supporter & parent

Gridiron Godfather

On 9/5/2017 at 3:43 PM, Pops said:

I've heard this and don't know the truth of the matter -- motivation for move prior to 9th grade

ive also heard he commuted from Sac (so understand the skepticism) 

have also heard he lived with his mother who sold pies door to door to help pay his tuition (no free rides back then -- today, DLS has Bishop Cummings Scholars that can receive full tuition assistance)

Im pretty sure they do not offer 100 % paid tuition assistance.  I think the most that anyone can qualify for is 25% of that years tuition.  So for example this years tuition my sister said was like 23,400 or something like that.  So the most a family can qualify for for their one student is assistance in the form of a grant worth $5,850.  The remaining $17,550 would have to be paid by the family.  

3 hours ago, covercorner said:

13? where did you come up with that many.. They have 8 transfers on the roster to date, that span over 3 years.. The least amount of all the Trinity League teams. Now that number goes up if you include the kids that graduated last year. 

He probably counted ones that were not approved.  Lots of players want to transfer and submit paperwork and will shop up on the CIF site, but does not mean they get approved and end up playing football at MD. 

2 hours ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

I can tell you that since the schedule was announced everyone had this game circled as the biggest challenge.  Not disrespecting our other opponents on the schedule, but everyone knew what MD would be bringing to the table & that they would probably be the #1 team when we played them.  So by no means was MD underestimated.  I think it is more of a sense of being unbeatable & always being able to find a way to pull out a W.  I wouldn't classify it as cockiness per see, but a feeling of confidence that had grown over the past few years.  

Since the run started we faced many obstacles and managed to get through them:

2014: 6 OOS opponents including the 2 pt conv win vs CC & the huge game vs SJB 

2015: Another 6 OOS schedule including DBP in the middle of the season

2016: 5 OOS teams w/ the huge opener in TX, the SJB comeback & the epic STA game

Being an admitted ardent BG Homer, I and most of the other knowledgable BG fans knew this team is different then the past few years.  That 2017 class was a once in a lifetime class  & we could not just plug someone into each of their spots.  Some of them yes, but not all of them.  2 games into this season and we have seen numerous kids step up and take advantage of their opportunity now.  Next year we should have a good number of kids who have played very meaningful minutes as underclassmen this season, as well.  702HSFB had a great piece on the off-season turmoil the team has gone through & if this team can win the next 2 big games vs. Miami Central & some team from NorCal ;) then take care of business in state...they will most likely end up with a Top 10 ranking & another State Title, only losing to the MNC in a game that they were outmanned but continued to fight back.  If that happens, then I will be more proud of this team then any of the ones before.

Good stuff as always GodFather.  Do I have to kiss the ring?  Lol.  Long time listener, first time caller love you love your show, quick question, Not sure if you can answer this or its way to out there, but what if say Martell and Lindsey and Dorian never leave Cali,  Who do you think would have been QB or RB or WR to replace them?  Someone from Gorman or another school?  Maybe some kid who chose to skip Gorman because those guys were there and chose another school.  Your well informed and your insightful information is appreciated.  Thanks and I will take my answer off the air.   RACKEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, covercorner said:

13? where did you come up with that many.. They have 8 transfers on the roster to date, that span over 3 years.. The least amount of all the Trinity League teams. Now that number goes up if you include the kids that graduated last year. 

These are the 13 I got when doing a quick cross reference of their roster vs. the CIFSS transfer website.

Capture.PNG

20 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

These are the 13 I got when doing a quick cross reference of their roster vs. the CIFSS transfer website.

Capture.PNG

yep, makes scene if you include transfers from the past 3 years. i'm guessing SJB's number are about the same considering they had a lot of transfers come in on the O and D lines this summer.

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

Good stuff as always GodFather.  Do I have to kiss the ring?  Lol.  Long time listener, first time caller love you love your show, quick question, Not sure if you can answer this or its way to out there, but what if say Martell and Lindsey and Dorian never leave Cali,  Who do you think would have been QB or RB or WR to replace them?  Someone from Gorman or another school?  Maybe some kid who chose to skip Gorman because those guys were there and chose another school.  Your well informed and your insightful information is appreciated.  Thanks and I will take my answer off the air.   RACKEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off, thanks.  I'm heading out for a bit now but will hit these questions in depth later tonight.  But as a teaser....DTR grew up here and I personally have seem many of his games from back in the youth days.  Interesting fact is that he really blew up on the National scene after leading his LV FBU team which earned him a spot on the 8th Grade Eastbay AA game and again in the 9th Grade AA game.  I'll hit on the other topics tonight like look who JT's backup is & 2 other BG QB's on roster with offers already

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eddyr2 said:

yep, makes scene if you include transfers from the past 3 years. i'm guessing SJB's number are about the same considering they had a lot of transfers come in on the O and D lines this summer.

Theres been way more than that in the past 3 years. The others just graduated... like Amon-Ras brother...

So dont pretend theres ONLY been 13 in that time. There may only be 13 on the team atm, but theres been a lot more the last 3 years.

4 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Theres been way more than that in the past 3 years. The others just graduated... like Amon-Ras brother...

So dont pretend theres ONLY been 13 in that time. There may only be 13 on the team atm, but theres been a lot more the last 3 years.

I for one am happy all these kids can receive a great education from one of the most prestigious schools in the country. I myself know how much that helps in life 😀👍

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

Didn't SJB pick up a bunch of kids this summer for their O and D lines? 🤔

What about it? This isn't a debate comparing the amount of transfers each school has. We're simply clarifying the amount of transfers Mater Dei has. Some clown on Twitter stated, ambiguously, 50. Some homer in this thread said 8. I'm juat providing evidence to what the real number might actually be... which looks like 13, 6 of which already have D1 offers.

7 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

6 hours ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

First off, thanks.  I'm heading out for a bit now but will hit these questions in depth later tonight.  But as a teaser....DTR grew up here and I personally have seem many of his games from back in the youth days.  Interesting fact is that he really blew up on the National scene after leading his LV FBU team which earned him a spot on the 8th Grade Eastbay AA game and again in the 9th Grade AA game.  I'll hit on the other topics tonight like look who JT's backup is & 2 other BG QB's on roster with offers already

A look back at Bishop Gorman's QB's over the last 9 years:

• Since 2009 there have been really 4 QB's (Solomon 4 yr starter, Cunningham 1 yr, Martel 3 yrs & now DTR)
  • We have had 3 QB's transfer out in the last year or so alone
    • 2 2020 QB's to MD (CA) & Kapolei (HI)
    • 1 2019 QB to Allen (TX)
  • We have 2 2020 QB's on roster with offers (1 to U of AZ & 1 to Utah State)
  • Had a few kids play QB as a Frosh/JV but blossomed in other spots (i.e. Bolden & Telles) 

As far as how many kids did or did not come here because of position situations, is hard to tell.  Locally there are a ton of youth kids that sport the G gear with hopes of playing there, but in reality there are so many spots available - not on the field but in the school.  Applications & enrollment continues to climb every year., however it is a lot easier to get into any public school of your choice in the area (regardless of zoning) then it is to get into Gorman.  Vegas is also like an island, with no other schools outside of the valley really within 3-4 hours.  If you want a private school there is really only 2 choices: BG or Faith Lutheran. BTW, with as many Dana White & UFC comments re: Gorman I see & hear, his boys go to Faith Lutheran.  Fertitta's had 3 boys play at Gorman (between the 2 brothers) and their contributions to the program are unbelievable.  The field, stadium, Athletic Training Center, and practice field are something to be seen, put a lot of colleges programs to shame & are a great drawing point for kids wanting to come here.  But playing for Gorman is no joke. It is a grind and not cut out for everyone.  Here's some comments from a USA Today article about Kirby Bennett when he transferred to BG.

- "Bennett admitted his laid-back ways caught up to him when he turned in Allen High’s red, white and navy, for Bishop Gorman’s flashy orange and blue. While he knew the Gaels had stellar talent, he didn’t quite understand the work they put in, many months before the season gets underway."

- "I really didn’t understand what they were about ’til I got here. It’s work, everyday,” the 6-foot, 195-pound power back said. “I wouldn’t say I had a poor work ethic, but because of my God-given talent, I thought I could take some things off and really didn’t have to work. I tried doing that at Gorman, they got on my butt and I’ve adapted to what their work ethic is and I’m trying to catch up to everybody."

And finally touching on the "what if" scenario if Tate & Tyjon did not come here.  Obviously you can not discount what they meant to BG the 3 years (at least Tate) played here.  Remember Tyjon only had a couple games his Sr. season due to various injuries.  Danny Hong (now at Columbia) had the QB spot until Tate took over in the 2nd game of his Soph. season vs Servite.  Assuming Tate was not here, I'd expect Danny would have been the starter for the remainder of that year.  The following year, it could have very well been DTR starting as a Soph.  

WAR GAELS!!!

• Like 1

On 9/5/2017 at 1:23 PM, Pops said:

Ive heard different things about Aaron Taylor being from Marin or Hayward, both a long ways away.  His mother steered him to DLS as he was apparently going down a not good path.  That was the 80s

On 9/5/2017 at 1:36 PM, PrepGridiron said:

I believe Amani was from Berkeley. Taylor was from Mill Valley, but, I believe, he moved to Concord his junior year.

Aaron Taylor was before I started following DLS.  But this cracks me up.  He was getting into trouble...In Mill Valley?...In the earlyish 80's?

What kind of trouble was that?  Too many EST seminars?  Too much 4/21?  Excess guacamole in the hot tub?

;)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Aaron Taylor was before I started following DLS.  But this cracks me up.  He was getting into trouble...In Mill Valley?...In the earlyish 80's?

What kind of trouble was that?  Too many EST seminars?  Too much 4/21?  Excess guacamole in the hot tub?

;)

Mill Valley is next to Marin City. You can definitely run with the wrong crowds if you want to. I'm sure back then in particularly. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dntn31 said:

Capture.PNG

Those are over a span of three years, like I said.  And one of those kids is no longer on the team, left school. 

Evan Agnew, Aidan Livingston, and Brooks Massey, aren't even on the depth chart. They won't see the field. Titan Ruotolo, shouldn't be list as a transfer, he left the school, to be home schooled and returned.  

correct 6 on that list have D-1 offers.  

1 minute ago, covercorner said:

Those are over a span of three years, like I said.  And one of those kids is no longer on the team, left school. 

Evan Agnew, Aidan Livingston, and Brooks Massey, aren't even on the depth chart. They won't see the field. Titan Ruotolo, shouldn't be list as a transfer, he left the school, to be home schooled and returned.  

5 on that list have D-1 offers.  

Plus Keyon is sitting out the whole year with a torn acl he got before he transferred 

5 minutes ago, covercorner said:

correct 6 on that list have D-1 offers.  

I don't think there was ever any question about the time frame for totaling the transfer numbers. I don't think anyone in this thread claimed MD had a certain amount of transfers in the last year. I certainly didn't. The only thing that was in question was your claim of "8 transfers on the roster", which appears to be demonstrably incorrect as the kids you just listed are in fact "on the roster" despite of where they are "on the depth chart". The whole point of the discussion was to provide clarity on the transfer numbers so your initial post wasn't exactly helpful in that regard. However, your most recent post does shed some light for those of us who are not MD insiders, so that is appreciated.