Reflections from a BG fan, supporter & parent

Gridiron Godfather

36 minutes ago, Pops said:

DJ was from Hercules -- closer than my kids

TK was from Richmond -- about same distance as my kids, near Oakland 

MJD was from a parochial feeder in Antioch

TJ Ward I think is from Concord (dad is a long-time coach.... and little brother is RB for Falcons)

no idea on Amani Toomer

Ive heard different things about Aaron Taylor being from Marin or Hayward, both a long ways away.  His mother steered him to DLS as he was apparently going down a not good path.  That was the 80s

22 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

I believe Amani was from Berkeley. Taylor was from Mill Valley, but, I believe, he moved to Concord his junior year.

How many from parochial feeder schools?

I went to parochial schools from 1st thru 12th, and the number of athletes showing up at our high school from non-parochial feeder schools was just starting to be evident back then (class of '79 -- great friggin year). I'm sure DLS has quite a few of these kids who have played football for them.

Like DJ Williams, apparently.

31 minutes ago, ATLien12x said:

This went underappreciated. I laughed my ass off 😂😂😂

It was funny, and was definitely and intentionally underappreciated as Colquitt had to put up with at least two years of crap from the Trinity League and BNU tough guys about "selective" scheduling, and here we are with that very dadblamed thing going on by one of the most hyped schools of the millenium. Obviously an intentional act by them as well. They cherry picked over BG for 7 years according to our BG bretheren. 

I think we saw a similar thing with DBP this season as well, although their attempt obviously back fired, but that is for a different thread once NOR finally finds his way home. :D

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, maxchoboian said:

How many from parochial feeder schools?

I went to parochial schools from 1st thru 12th, and the number of athletes showing up at our high school from non-parochial feeder schools was just starting to be evident back then (class of '79 -- great friggin year). I'm sure DLS has quite a few of these kids who have played football for them.

Like DJ Williams, apparently.

DLS preferences parochial feeders but doesn't otherwise discriminate based on religious affiliation -- not sure what the % is but confident it's higher on the football team, but that's just because football more successful than (i.e.) algebra in attracting non-parochial 8th graders 

that said, DLS had a principal from about '02 to '11 that rooted out athletically morivated 8TH GRADE APPLICATIONS -- not coincidentally, DLS went 56-10-2 from '04 thru Lakeland '09 and only has 5 other losses since '91

1 hour ago, ThunderRam said:

DJ is not from Hercules. His father moved him there (or near there) with family (grandmother I believe) so he could attend DLS. Both of his parents are from Del Paso Heights and attended Grant Union in Sacramento. DJ was born and raised in Sac too until his early teens.

Channing (uncle), Derwin (father) and Tristan (uncle) all played for the Pacers in the early to mid 80's while younger brothers Gerwin and Worrell followed suit from 2001 - 2004. Their cousin Marselius also starred at Grant Union a few seasons later.

I've heard this and don't know the truth of the matter -- motivation for move prior to 9th grade

ive also heard he commuted from Sac (so understand the skepticism) 

have also heard he lived with his mother who sold pies door to door to help pay his tuition (no free rides back then -- today, DLS has Bishop Cummings Scholars that can receive full tuition assistance)

32 minutes ago, Pops said:

I've heard this and don't know the truth of the matter -- motivation for move prior to 9th grade

ive also heard he commuted from Sac (so understand the skepticism) 

have also heard he lived with his mother who sold pies door to door to help pay his tuition (no free rides back then -- today, DLS has Bishop Cummings Scholars that can receive full tuition assistance)

Right, I get it. My only point was to set it straight that DJ (Derwin Jr.) isn't from the Bay area but rather was transplanted there in his teens. He is a Sacramento kid and was born and raised here. He's the only member of the Williams family I recall that didn't end up at Grant Union. If memory serves, his parents were worried about him getting into trouble and thought sending him away to DLS was a good idea. As it turns out, he did quite well there, right? :) His younger brothers attended Jesuit in Carmichael as freshmen, but ended up at GHS as sophomores but weren't permitted to play Varsity until their JR. season.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

BG does step up and play pretty much everyone. But again, they're not a real high school team. There's just a recruited up super team. They are IMG West. So 99% don't care if BG loses bc the field is tilted in their favor 99% of the time. Especially against the poor Nevada in-state teams.

On 9/4/2017 at 3:59 PM, Gridiron Godfather said:

I could make excuses I’ve heard from some like:

“We got out Gormon -ed” – a shot at the fact MD has rumored over 50 transfers

- We’ve been on the right side of transfers many times

“Unlike, MD, we have never waited until the stars align to finally step up and play someone” – BG has been trying for 7 years to get them on the schedule

- teams like MD haven’t needed to schedule big OOS like us, in fact looking back at it, assuming they take care of business the rest of the year, this game was not necessary for a MNC & shows some balls

Instead, I’ll share my honest thoughts and feelings.  I have to admit it was a weird, unfamiliar feeling after that loss.  Haven’t felt like that in 4 years.  Anyone who watched the game knows it could have been a lot worse.  The early fumble & numerous drops by MD all kept us in the game.  We have a few weak spots – compared to past BG teams - and they were victimized Friday. 

I am proud though of the way we did not give up and I honestly felt when we got it within 7, that we had changed the momentum and were setting up for another BG comeback, 2nd half win.  But to MD’s credit they quickly struck that notion down.  Both our Frosh & JV teams beat MD the next day & the varsity boys, although a bit banged up, seem in good spirits and are now focused on Miami Central.  How these next 2 weeks go will tell a lot about them as a team.  Really the only "potential" competition after the next 2 games for BG could come from Arbor View or a team up North in the State Championship.  All Vegas teams are down this year. 

I wore a BG football shirt yesterday running around town getting some errands done.  Funny how no one really had a comment the last few years, but yesterday I was approached by at least 5 people.  Comments like “you guys finally lost”, “it’s about time” & even “ha ha, you guys got you’re a** kicked” – and that’s from Vegas folks.  But I, like the team, kept my head high and shrugged it off.  After all, it’s been 4 years, 55 games, 4 state championships & 3 national championships since they could make those comments.

Good luck to MD the rest of the season, get healed up for the rest of the run & keep that QB healthy for next year ;)

BG is a quality team, no shame or pointing fingers that is how you deal with defeat.  They played two quality teams in two weeks, hats off to them.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 181pl said:

They are IMG West.

I think comparing anyone to IMG at this point is disingenuous. A few families may have relocated from SoCal/AZ to Vegas to play at Gorman, but they are nowhere on the level of IMG who poaches players from across the country and offers room and board instead of forcing families to relocate. Gorman is an actual high school with, you know, classes and stuff. A typical day at IMG is 12 hours of football practice interrupted by a 2 hour tutoring session.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

I think comparing anyone to IMG at this point is disingenuous. A few families may have relocated from SoCal/AZ to Vegas to play at Gorman, but they are nowhere on the level of IMG who poaches players from across the country and offers room and board instead of forcing families to relocate. Gorman is an actual high school with, you know, classes and stuff. A typical day at IMG is 12 hours of football practice interrupted by a 2 hour tutoring session.

If they could  figure out the logistics would love to see BG in the Trinity league. May be have Southwest be the leagues offical sponsor? 

BG is a great program but this is the year that Rollo gets that 3rd national championship to match the 3 stripes 😀 \|/

Steeler01 your post lacks relevant details.   

Yes, in 2014 MD lost in 2nd round.   To Corona Cent10  27-24 in a more competitive game than the finals where Cent10 beat SJB 48-41.

and in 2015, they lost to Cent10 42-36, again a more competitive game than the finals where SJB took it in the chin by Cent10

On 9/4/2017 at 1:46 PM, steeler01 said:

In 2014 they were 2nd round losers

in 2015 they were 10-3 semi final losers.

They played CC early in the season in 2015 and lost to them in the semi's. 

In 2012 and 2013 I think Mater Dei beats Gorman but those two didn't play.

Yes, in 2014 MD lost in 2nd round.   To Corona Cent10  27-24 in a more competitive game than the finals where Cent10 beat SJB 48-41.

and in 2015, they lost to Cent10 42-36, again a more competitive game than the finals where SJB took it in the chin by Cent10

20 minutes ago, fballfan said:

Playing the transitive property game against Cen10 as a common opponent isn't really the best basis for comparison. Cen10 basically scores on everyone, and allows everyone to score on them. Also, you left out the "relevant detail" of SJB's starting QB, Quentin Davis, attempting to play injured in the 1st quarter, doubling his INT total for the season in 10 min and then getting knocked out of the game. Despite all that, they still had a reasonable chance at getting a W, deep into the 4th. Qualifying that game as "taking it on the chin" isn't the description I would use.

In 2015, SJB was up 42-0 on MD and put a running clock on them before they allowed some garbage time TDs. If MD played Gorman in 2015, I know who I'd put my $ on.

10 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Playing the transitive property game against Cen10 as a common opponent isn't really the best basis for comparison. Cen10 basically scores on everyone, and allows everyone to score on them. Also, you left out the "relevant detail" of SJB's starting QB, Quentin Davis, attempting to play injured in the 1st quarter, doubling his INT total for the season in 10 min and then getting knocked out of the game. Despite all that, they still had a reasonable chance at getting a W, deep into the 4th. Qualifying that game as "taking it on the chin" isn't the description I would use.

In 2015, SJB was up 42-0 on MD and put a running clock on them before they allowed some garbage time TDs. If MD played Gorman in 2015, I know who I'd put my $ on.

Points taken.   My post wasn’t meant to disparage SJB (I’m a homer), but as a response to Steeler’s insinuation that Mater Dei had weak teams.    They weren’t 2017 strong, but still quality dominant squads against all opposition in So Cal not named Cent10 or SJB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Man I have to say coach negro has done an amazing job turning around that program...back when I played at MD, Bosco was a cake walk. But now they are a national power that has had our numbers for years...

but not this year! 🙂\|/

2 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

Man I have to say coach negro has done an amazing job turning around that program...back when I played at MD, Bosco was a cake walk. But now they are a national power that has had our numbers for years...

but not this year! 🙂\|/

It's funny, the last 3-4 years were supposed to be MD's year... until they lost to SJB. I'll just leave it at that until 10/13 and then again until playoffs. ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fballfan said:

Points taken.   My post wasn’t meant to disparage SJB (I’m a homer), but as a response to Steeler’s insinuation that Mater Dei had weak teams.    They weren’t 2017 strong, but still quality dominant squads against all opposition in So Cal not named Cent10 or SJB.

The 2014 and 2015 team lost to Jserra. So no,  they weren't dominant over everyone not named Bosco or Centennial.

We're they crappy no, but they shouldn't be scheduling a national power when they can't beat Jserra and are in numerous close games with other SoCal teams.

Mater Dei 28 Westlake 27 (Westlake misses game winning fg)

Mater Dei 20 Servite 17

Jserra 17 Mater Dei 10

Mater Dei 19 OLU 14

Mater Dei 24 Amat 21

Jserra 35 Mater Dei 28

Mater Dei 28 Gardena Serra 27

On 9/5/2017 at 9:36 AM, dntn31 said:

The 50 number is complete BS. After a quick cross-reference of the MD roster and http://cifss.org/approvals/transfers/ the number I came up with is 13. It's possible either the roster info or the CIF website are not completely up to date, but there's literally a 0% chance that results in the number going from 13 to 50. 

13? where did you come up with that many.. They have 8 transfers on the roster to date, that span over 3 years.. The least amount of all the Trinity League teams. Now that number goes up if you include the kids that graduated last year. 

6 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

@Gridiron Godfather It seems like many of the BG faithful were stunned that Mater Dei was able to control and beat your team.  Do you think that MD was underestimated?  Did the BG fans not realize they were playing a "Once in a generation" team?

I can tell you that since the schedule was announced everyone had this game circled as the biggest challenge.  Not disrespecting our other opponents on the schedule, but everyone knew what MD would be bringing to the table & that they would probably be the #1 team when we played them.  So by no means was MD underestimated.  I think it is more of a sense of being unbeatable & always being able to find a way to pull out a W.  I wouldn't classify it as cockiness per see, but a feeling of confidence that had grown over the past few years.  

Since the run started we faced many obstacles and managed to get through them:

2014: 6 OOS opponents including the 2 pt conv win vs CC & the huge game vs SJB 

2015: Another 6 OOS schedule including DBP in the middle of the season

2016: 5 OOS teams w/ the huge opener in TX, the SJB comeback & the epic STA game

Being an admitted ardent BG Homer, I and most of the other knowledgable BG fans knew this team is different then the past few years.  That 2017 class was a once in a lifetime class  & we could not just plug someone into each of their spots.  Some of them yes, but not all of them.  2 games into this season and we have seen numerous kids step up and take advantage of their opportunity now.  Next year we should have a good number of kids who have played very meaningful minutes as underclassmen this season, as well.  702HSFB had a great piece on the off-season turmoil the team has gone through & if this team can win the next 2 big games vs. Miami Central & some team from NorCal ;) then take care of business in state...they will most likely end up with a Top 10 ranking & another State Title, only losing to the MNC in a game that they were outmanned but continued to fight back.  If that happens, then I will be more proud of this team then any of the ones before.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2017 at 9:36 AM, dntn31 said:

The 50 number is complete BS. After a quick cross-reference of the MD roster and http://cifss.org/approvals/transfers/ the number I came up with is 13. It's possible either the roster info or the CIF website are not completely up to date, but there's literally a 0% chance that results in the number going from 13 to 50. 

Im pretty sure Eric meant in all sports both boys and girls.  But he goes for clicks and knows what he did.  Cant stand that fool. 

On 9/5/2017 at 0:44 PM, Pops said:

My kids commute was 45 minutes in a.m. And 25 minutes in PM and they matriculated from the #1 feeder parochial (IOW, fairly typical, except for concord and Walnut Creek kids which is at least half of student body)

i knew one kid that played (non-starter, rarely played) and commuted from Tracy -- that'd be 1-2 hours depending on traffic

didn't know anyone else outside of an hour, but in the Bay Area, that means contra costa county -- I never met anyone from San Jose, San Francisco, or Oakland, the Bay Area's 3 largest cities, for example, although there's probably an Oakland kid or 2 (< 10 miles from concord to Oakland and don't have to cross a bridge, but do have the Caldecott Tunnel)

in any event, saying DLS pulls from the Bay Area is emphatically incorrect

People love to throw around words like Bay Area?  Which extends from the south bay in Gilroy to the east by like benecia or vallejo to the north at the golden gate bridge and to the west Pacifica.  Yeah DLS gets kids from the circumference of that area. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

On 9/5/2017 at 0:53 PM, Bodysurf said:

Bingo. This is all sports boys and girls. Not only that, it includes all grades (so really 10-12 grade at this point of year)

YEah but it makes for a better excuse or story to go with the big number and let everyone else make their own conclusions.  Kind of sounds like what Fox News does. Lol