Reflections from a BG fan, supporter & parent

Gridiron Godfather

5 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Thank you, pop.  Well said. Can't believe Sammy lumped DLS in there with BG. 

Wrong.  My response was directed toward 15 yards (DLS guy) insinuating about MD transfers being a reason that BG lost and then Gridiron Godfather accepting this excuse.

15 yards was testing this excuse for the SBG and I had to nip it in the bud 

Carry on 

41 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Wrong.  My response was directed toward 15 yards (DLS guy) insinuating about MD transfers being a reason that BG lost and then Gridiron Godfather accepting this excuse.

Carry on 

Sammy, we know you play eleventy level chess while the rest of us just play checkers.  You're just too smart for me.  Here I thought I  wrote about MD transfers in direct response to the very first sentence in this thread, attempting to put a  stupid rumor to bed.

8 hours ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

I could make excuses I’ve heard from some like:

“We got out Gormon -ed” – a shot at the fact MD has rumored over 50 transfers

But I guess you knew what I was writing about better than I did.  Reading in context is hard Sammy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Sammy, we know you play eleventy level chess while the rest of us just play checkers.  You've just too smart for me.  Here I though I  wrote about transfers in direct response to the very first sentence in this thread, attempting to put a  stupid rumor to bed.

But I guess you knew what I was writing about better than I did.  Reading in context is hard Sammy.

peace.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pops said:

You strike me as a fine gentleman but you don't know what you're talking about with DLS and recruiting 8th graders from all over the Bay Area

DLS neither recruits (I'm not counting some parent/ family friend that says "you should check out DLS), they very rarely accept transfers of any kind after sophomore year because they believe boys need the time in DLS to gain the experiemce

they do enjoy open borders -- an advantage over (most) public.  

Despite pieces of 13 MNCs in last 25 years, they are rarely a top 10 CA school in terms of "talent" (as judged by recruiters)

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/De-La-Salle-has-talent-to-keep-win-streak-going-2558993.php (2003)

"They had a handful of Division II and III guys most years," Clayton Valley of Concord coach Herc Pardi said. "They whipped everyone with schemes and discipline. Now they have special, special athletes."

https://www.pacifictakes.com/2013/4/5/4187886/pac-12-football-recruiting-which-high-schools-produce-the-most-pac-12

"Known for holding the nation's longest winning streak that went for more than 10 years, De La Salle might be the most famous high school football program in America. Because of this and the fact that they are a private school, they have long attracted a number of the area's top talents who have gone onto play in the Pac-12."

http://www.mercurynews.com/2014/08/16/barnidge-de-la-salles-win-streak-secret-never-giv

"Annual tuition at De La Salle is more than $15,000. The fact the school provides scholarships to low-income students — some of whom are athletes from well outside Concord — inevitably is linked to the recruiting assertions. School President Mark DeMarco tackled that one head-on.

“Out of 50 kids on scholarship, maybe three or four are on the varsity,” he said, “and some others are on the J.V. team — maybe 10 or 12 total out of the 50. The financial aid and tuition packets are handled in a blind process.”

Defensive coordinator Terry Eidson, who has been at Ladouceur’s side for 34 seasons (Ladouceur now is an assistant coach), said there’s a simpler explanation for why the school attracts students from far and wide.

“We’re a private Catholic boys school, and we’re the only one in Contra Costa — 75 percent of our (school’s) population is Catholic,” he said. “Most of our kids come from a 10- or 12-mile radius, like Maurice Jones-Drew. He came from Holy Rosary Parish in Antioch. If you’re a Catholic, where else do you go?”

Give the final word to Zuber, who has gone 0-7 against De La Salle: “De La Salle doesn’t recruit. They don’t have to. Their winning recruits for them.”

I did not say they recruit.  I did not mention transfers coming into DLS.  I did say they have had extraordinary talent.  As noted above most of the talent comes from within a 10-12 mile radius of the school.   But, I am suggesting that each year there are several gifted 8th graders from outside of that area who go after DLS to play there.  

2 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Carry on 

When did I accept this excuse?  Read my initial post

4 minutes ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

When did I accept this excuse?  Read my initial post

Well it was suspicious that you brought up MD transfers in line 1 of your initial post.  Then you copied 15 yards post where he dug up Sondheimers (#1 complainer about transfers in CIF) tweet.

I'm not looking for an argument with anyone.  Just looked suspicious.  That's all

The bulk of your post was very solid and classy tho

21 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Well it was suspicious that you brought up MD transfers in line 1 of your initial post.  Then you copied 15 yards post where he dug up Sondheimers (#1 complainer about transfers in CIF) tweet.

I'm not looking for an argument with anyone.  Just looked suspicious.  That's all

The bulk of your post was very solid and classy tho

Did you actually read what the first part of my post said?  I was talking about some of the excuse rumors I had heard & even said the we have been on the right side of that situation many times.  

I copied 15 yards post to say thank you for the kind words at the end of his post.  It's nice to hear from another football Dad about the "gone in a flash" reality of watching your son play hsfb.  

3 minutes ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

Did you actually read what the first part of my post said?  I was talking about some of the excuse rumors I had heard & even said the we have been on the right side of that situation many times.  

I copied 15 yards post to say thank you for the kind words at the end of his post.  It's nice to hear from another football Dad about the "gone in a flash" reality of watching your son play hsfb.  

Ok

peace.jpg

1 minute ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Ok

peace.jpg

No prob.  And if you want to throw a little fire into that transfer talk...did you see that Kirby Bennett had 244 yds & 4 TD's or Bookie being named MVP of the IMG/CC game after 2 picks & returning 1 for a TD?  Maybe we need to work on our transfer retention abilities ;)

18 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

I believe the source of the MD 50 transfer rumor was a tweet put out by Eric Sondheimer on Saturday morning:

Before anybody jumps to conclusions, read the responses to that tweet.  One of the claims is that there were 52 transfers into MD total for all reasons and 'only' 6 were for football.  This is some research we can do as the season unfolds.  There is a CIF website we can look into when we get bored. Or, someone from MD could just step up and be straight about it. 

The 50 number is complete BS. After a quick cross-reference of the MD roster and http://cifss.org/approvals/transfers/ the number I came up with is 13. It's possible either the roster info or the CIF website are not completely up to date, but there's literally a 0% chance that results in the number going from 13 to 50. 

20 hours ago, Gridiron Godfather said:

I wore a BG football shirt yesterday running around town getting some errands done.  Funny how no one really had a comment the last few years, but yesterday I was approached by at least 5 people.  Comments like “you guys finally lost”, “it’s about time” & even “ha ha, you guys got you’re a** kicked” – and that’s from Vegas folks.  But I, like the team, kept my head high and shrugged it off.  After all, it’s been 4 years, 55 games, 4 state championships & 3 national championships since they could make those comments.

In 2015 when DBP was out there we couldn't believe how many people HATED your program....and thats coming from a Jersey private school guy..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

The 50 number is complete BS. After a quick cross-reference of the MD roster and http://cifss.org/approvals/transfers/ the number I came up with is 13. It's possible either the roster info or the CIF website are not completely up to date, but there's literally a 0% chance that results in the number going from 13 to 50. 

Pretty sure the 52 is for all sports girls and boys

2 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Pretty sure the 52 is for all sports girls and boys

I actually have no idea where that 52 number came from. There is something like 200 total listed on the CIF website over the last 4 years (but that covers boys, girls, non-athletes, and people who were approved for a transfer but didn't end up transferring... I think).

14 hours ago, btango said:

Whenever I have met someone that went to DLS I have asked them what was their travel time one way.  I have been told anywhere from less than ten minutes to over an hour.  

I was told by a Don Bosco parent that they lived in NY and the commute was over 45 minutes each way.

My kids commute was 45 minutes in a.m. And 25 minutes in PM and they matriculated from the #1 feeder parochial (IOW, fairly typical, except for concord and Walnut Creek kids which is at least half of student body)

i knew one kid that played (non-starter, rarely played) and commuted from Tracy -- that'd be 1-2 hours depending on traffic

didn't know anyone else outside of an hour, but in the Bay Area, that means contra costa county -- I never met anyone from San Jose, San Francisco, or Oakland, the Bay Area's 3 largest cities, for example, although there's probably an Oakland kid or 2 (< 10 miles from concord to Oakland and don't have to cross a bridge, but do have the Caldecott Tunnel)

in any event, saying DLS pulls from the Bay Area is emphatically incorrect

28 minutes ago, Pops said:

My kids commute was 45 minutes in a.m. And 25 minutes in PM and they matriculated from the #1 feeder parochial (IOW, fairly typical, except for concord and Walnut Creek kids which is at least half of student body)

i knew one kid that played (non-starter, rarely played) and commuted from Tracy -- that'd be 1-2 hours depending on traffic

didn't know anyone else outside of an hour, but in the Bay Area, that means contra costa county -- I never met anyone from San Jose, San Francisco, or Oakland, the Bay Area's 3 largest cities, for example, although there's probably an Oakland kid or 2 (< 10 miles from concord to Oakland and don't have to cross a bridge, but do have the Caldecott Tunnel)

in any event, saying DLS pulls from the Bay Area is emphatically incorrect

Where were players like DJ Williams and Terrance Kelly from? Or Maurice Jones-Drew and TJ Ward and Amani Toomer and Aaron Taylor? Any of them from the parochial feeder schools?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Where were players like DJ Williams and Terrance Kelly from? Or Maurice Jones-Drew and TJ Ward and Amani Toomer and Aaron Taylor? Any of them from the parochial feeder schools?

DJ was from Hercules -- closer than my kids

TK was from Richmond -- about same distance as my kids, near Oakland 

MJD was from a parochial feeder in Antioch

TJ Ward I think is from Concord (dad is a long-time coach.... and little brother is RB for Falcons)

no idea on Amani Toomer

Ive heard different things about Aaron Taylor being from Marin or Hayward, both a long ways away.  His mother steered him to DLS as he was apparently going down a not good path.  That was the 80s

Just now, Pops said:

TK was from Richmond -- about same distance as my kids, near Oakland 

MJD was from a parochial feeder in Antioch

TJ Ward I think is from Concord (dad is a long-time coach.... and little brother is RB for Falcons)

no idea on Amani Toomer

Ive heard different things about Aaron Taylor being from Marin or Hayward, both a long ways away.  His mother steered him to DLS as he was apparently going down a not good path.  That was the 80s

I believe Amani was from Berkeley. Taylor was from Mill Valley, but, I believe, he moved to Concord his junior year.

36 minutes ago, Pops said:

DJ is not from Hercules. His father moved him there (or near there) with family (grandmother I believe) so he could attend DLS. Both of his parents are from Del Paso Heights and attended Grant Union in Sacramento. DJ was born and raised in Sac too until his early teens.

Channing (uncle), Derwin (father) and Tristan (uncle) all played for the Pacers in the early to mid 80's while younger brothers Gerwin and Worrell followed suit from 2001 - 2004. Their cousin Marselius also starred at Grant Union a few seasons later.

• Like 1