Having more stars & offers doesn't mean you're better

Horsefly

I've been following Allen football this season pretty closely and they have two solid RBs, but one is slightly better than the other.  Both are JRs but I was looking to see what offers each had and was surprised.  Here are their stats and details.

brock Sturges- 5'10 193.  151/1107 and 16 TDs

kirby Bennett-6'0 195.  120/777 and 6 TDs

kirby is a 4**** with 21 offers.  Brock is a zero star with 1 offer.  Brock is the better back and is quicker and faster.  Don't always believe the star rating.

• Like 2

Sometimes all it takes to get "stars" is pump money into the recruiting services that create profiles for you. Basically the "recruits" are clients. Kids that attend charged camps, etc. 

Its all political, that's why you can see teams like Baylor, TCU and Houston surpass teams like Texas. Because those 3 teams don't necessarily obsess over stars. Just guys who can fit their system. 

Oregon used to never have a high rated class. Boise State, Wisconsin, etc. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I've been following Allen football this season pretty closely and they have two solid RBs, but one is slightly better than the other.  Both are JRs but I was looking to see what offers each had and was surprised.  Here are their stats and details.

brock Sturges- 5'10 193.  151/1107 and 16 TDs

kirby Bennett-6'0 195.  120/777 and 6 TDs

kirby is a 4**** with 21 offers.  Brock is a zero star with 1 offer.  Brock is the better back and is quicker and faster.  Don't always believe the star rating.

or maybe, no two eye tests are the same and you need a stronger prescription. 

-------------------------

this is kind of a silly post because stars are based more on potential than current production and no two stars given are the same

Now call me silly but I gotta think 21 schools who do this for a living..... who are professional recruiters are likely more correct than you.

This kind of explains your ridiculous elevation of very average TX football teams.  

7 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Sometimes all it takes to get "stars" is pump money into the recruiting services that create profiles for you. Basically the "recruits" are clients. Kids that attend charged camps, etc. 

Its all political, that's why you can see teams like Baylor, TCU and Houston surpass teams like Texas. Because those 3 teams don't necessarily obsess over stars. Just guys who can fit their system. 

Oregon used to never have a high rated class. Boise State, Wisconsin, etc. 

BINGO! 

I have seen things "bought" in athletics that you simply would not believe. I won't ever speak to them. 

1 minute ago, noonereal said:

or maybe, no two eye tests are the same and you need a stronger prescription. 

-------------------------

this is kind of a silly post because stars are based more on potential than current production and no two stars given are the same

Now call me silly but I gotta think 21 schools who do this for a living..... who are professional recruiters are likely more correct than you.

This kind of explains your ridiculous elevation of very average TX football teams.  

No dummy, lower ranked kid actually starts over the rated one.  If you can do the math his avg yards per carry is higher too.  He's much more efficient.  So his coaches see what I see as well.  I'll take the coaches that have BOTH on the team as the better evaluators.

25 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

No dummy, lower ranked kid actually starts over the rated one.  If you can do the math his avg yards per carry is higher too.  He's much more efficient.  So his coaches see what I see as well.  I'll take the coaches that have BOTH on the team as the better evaluators.

They are both 3 stars...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Outdated junk

Let's not lose sight of the forest for the tree, regardless of outlets used, bennet has considerably more attention and offers than Sturges.  And Sturges is the starter and has been all season.  Bennett has picked up 3 additional offers since the season has started, Sturges...none.

• Like 2