OT: 75 Years ago today

Cossacks

5 hours ago, Reb72 said:

remembering through a moving tribute a few years back...  always proud of my school, but this literally made my heart burst...  I guarantee if you watch to the end you'll have goose bumps

Pearl Harbor: A Salute to our Greatest Generation

very nice ... thoughtful for a high school

I remember Wossman High School Band came to Dallas back in 1992...

they absolutely rocked it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bormio said:

We all have such benign feelings toward the Japanese now.  But ask someone who fought in the Pacific against them - far different emotions.

My 93 year old Dad does not harbor animoisty. He always said the Japanese were hard fighters, industrious as a people, and respectful to the American occupying force (he had to stay over an extra 6 months in Japan after the war). He hated the Japanese Empire, but not the people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

My 93 year old Dad does not harbor animoisty. He always said the Japanese were hard fighters, industrious as a people, and respectful to the American occupying force (he had to stay over an extra 6 months in Japan after the war). He hated the Japanese Empire, but not the people. 

Thank him for his service to this country.

• Like 1

Kind of unrelated, but also somewhat related...

Yesterday, I was in line behind an elderly couple at a restaurant for lunch. The man was wearing a Marine Corps. cap, and I figured him to be a veteran. I watched as the wife was counting out change to cover the 28 cents part of their 12.28 lunch. I asked her as she walked off if her husband was a veteran, and she said yes, I stuffed 12 bucks into her hand and told her I was buying their lunch. He came over after fixing their drinks and shook my hand, while I told him thank you sir. 

I was enjoying my lunch when he came back over and asked if I too was a veteran, to which I replied "No". I knew he was trying to figure why I did it. Anyway, he told me that I did two things for him by paying for their lunch. That I thanked him for his service, but it was also his 80th birthday. Of course I wished him a happy birthday as well and he returned to his wife and meal. 

As I was leaving they asked me over to their table and asked if I was from Thomasville, where this happened and I told them no. They suspected that their son had put me up to it or something, but of course I didn't know their son, or them. I told them that I did it because I didn't serve and appreciated that he did, and that I was proud to have been there at that moment and able to do that for them. 

He put in 20 years to the Marine Corps. in service of our country, and a 12 dollar meal was the least I could do. 

Anyway, I think that it is kind of sad that they would be so taken aback by the gesture that they were suspecting their son of planting me for a birthday surprise or something. 

If you are able, or have it like that to do, and you find yourself in a situation like that, please do something like that for a vet. They shouldn't be taken aback or surprised that a stranger would be appreciative for what they did. 

• Like 8

Really interesting. Didn't think about this till I read this thread this morning and got to work.  Dec 7 1941. When I was a Drill Instructor at MCRD San Diego, my son went to a elementary school in Murphy Canyon called Doris Miller right by base Housing.  Didn't know at the time who Petty Officer Miller was. Google him.  Interesting story.  What is eerie I am an Insurance guy and got an application yesterday for a quote on this place In Waco.  Yesterday the owner wanted a insurance quote on this place see the link and specifically the Cemetery:  That was Dec 6th and today is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor and what he did.  Didn't get the sale but it brought back memories of when my Son was in elementary and educated me on this gentlemen and the school that was in our neighborhood in San Diego.  Semper FI America.  I  shared this with the other Sales Managers yesterday they thought it was pretty cool and a lil eerie.    Didn't know that place was in Waco and didn't know he was a Texan.  :D

http://www.dorismillermemorial.org/

Image result for doris miller elementary school san diego california

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Kind of unrelated, but also somewhat related...

Yesterday, I was in line behind an elderly couple at a restaurant for lunch. The man was wearing a Marine Corps. cap, and I figured him to be a veteran. I watched as the wife was counting out change to cover the 28 cents part of their 12.28 lunch. I asked her as she walked off if her husband was a veteran, and she said yes, I stuffed 12 bucks into her hand and told her I was buying their lunch. He came over after fixing their drinks and shook my hand, while I told him thank you sir. 

I was enjoying my lunch when he came back over and asked if I too was a veteran, to which I replied "No". I knew he was trying to figure why I did it. Anyway, he told me that I did two things for him by paying for their lunch. That I thanked him for his service, but it was also his 80th birthday. Of course I wished him a happy birthday as well and he returned to his wife and meal. 

As I was leaving they asked me over to their table and asked if I was from Thomasville, where this happened and I told them no. They suspected that their son had put me up to it or something, but of course I didn't know their son, or them. I told them that I did it because I didn't serve and appreciated that he did, and that I was proud to have been there at that moment and able to do that for them. 

He put in 20 years to the Marine Corps. in service of our country, and a 12 dollar meal was the least I could do. 

Anyway, I think that it is kind of sad that they would be so taken aback by the gesture that they were suspecting their son of planting me for a birthday surprise or something. 

If you are able, or have it like that to do, and you find yourself in a situation like that, please do something like that for a vet. They shouldn't be taken aback or surprised that a stranger would be appreciative for what they did. 

Awesome.

1 hour ago, Drummer61 said:

All should read THE RISING SUN, but Bill Oreilly and Martin Dugard...All facts and real surprises.. HORROR TOO. I also was there ,stood on Arizona memorial and the oil still leaked in 2001 when I was there. Oreilly is a little to liberal for me,but his book is a home run..

I just finished "Killing the Rising Sun," good read

21 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Really interesting. Didn't think about this till I read this thread this morning and got to work.  Dec 7 1941. When I was a Drill Instructor at MCRD San Diego, my son went to a elementary school in Murphy Canyon called Doris Miller right by base Housing.  Didn't know at the time who Petty Officer Miller was. Google him.  Interesting story.  What is eerie I am an Insurance guy and got an application yesterday for a quote on this place In Waco.  Yesterday the owner wanted a insurance quote on this place see the link and specifically the Cemetery:  That was Dec 6th and today is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor and what he did.  Didn't get the sale but it brought back memories of when my Son was in elementary and educated me on this gentlemen and the school that was in our neighborhood in San Diego.  Semper FI America.  I  shared this with the other Sales Managers yesterday they thought it was pretty cool and a lil eerie.    Didn't know that place was in Waco and didn't know he was a Texan.  :D

http://www.dorismillermemorial.org/

Image result for doris miller elementary school san diego california

Isnt this the guy that was played by Cuba Gooding in Pearl HArbor?