SJB Unanimous MNC

eddiev

6 minutes ago, badrouter said:

And yet those players helped Lakeland beat STA by two touchdowns.

I knew this is where you would go and it's proving my point. College performance/recruitment matters little. A squad of under-recruited future prison inmates have done quite well for Lakeland in the past.

Using star ratings is what you do when all other options aren't available.

I would say this year Osceola was the best team that Lakeland or STA faced outside of the finals. Neither had to run through a juggernaut. But I can tell you that Venice and Peacock are a great staff, and they are always ready to play. Again, this is why we need less classes. It probably should’ve been another Lakeland Saint Thomas final this year and then we could have decided it on the field instead of debating it on here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

@Nolebull813 Fisher stole your skins on the wall!  😊  wins vs state champs.

At first glance of 5 criteria highlighted, only one to me stands out… the wins over top 300 and even that barometer is fairly weak for a MNC.  A top 100 win tally would make more sense as a minimum, not a max of 300.  

The other 4 criteria resemble insufficient data for it to matter imo.  

Not disagreeing with the choice, just the attempted peel the onion dissection by Fisher.  

0ED06F7A-0ABC-4FA4-8FA3-44ED47B05801.png

@dntn31 thoughts? 😉 

I found 4 of 5 to be of no relevant use at all (insufficient data for it to matter).  Might as well have added road fan attendance figures.  

23 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

I know that you're grasping for straws when your only "objectively true" metric is college recruitment.

Results matter almost as much or more than that.

Sure. And the results are that, in 14 games (4 of which were against top 130 teams) there were a grand, aggregate total of two (2) scoring drives against this defense...the entire season. The first (and only) score for Osceola in the rematch (best DL out for Lakeland) and the second score for Venice, when they gifted Venice 30 penalty yards and the QB throw a falling hail-mary for a 31 yard gain. Outside of those two, nobody ever sustained a drive for a score the entire season. It was trick plays, fluke plays and running-clock points and that's it. The defense yielded ZERO second half points of any kind in the last ten (10) games. Not one single point allowed in the second half since September, when they gave up garbage time points in a running clock. 

- CAI averaged 41 ppg and won every other game they played, including a 31-0 win on the road of a South Carolina final four team. Against Lakeland, they went 7-23 passing and averaged 2.3 ypc in a 44-6 running clock loss.

- Lakewood managed 191 yards, 45 of which were made possible when two questionable personal foul calls bailed them out of what was to be 3rd and 28, in a 48-20 loss (7 points on pick-six). Against Miami Central, Lakewood at 472 yards of offense in a 39-21 loss. 

- Venice: gained 347 yards and 26 points vs. MNW; 174 yards and 17 points vs. Saint Frances without their best RB; 257 yards and 24 points vs. Seminole;  averaged over 50 ppg (never below 35) in four playoff games preceding Lakeland. They mustered only 127 vs. Lakeland, 31 of which were on a blind, falling pass completion. 

On 12/19/2022 at 12:57 PM, dntn31 said:

I might be convinced that this is all parody and we're being punk'd. I couldn't imagine writing satire as good as this.

"After starting the season as the preseason No. 1 they overcame a lot of adversity after a 17-7 loss against Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.) in early October. That loss dropped them to No. 4 at the time, but the Braves worked their back to the No. 1 spot."

So they faced "a lot of adversity" after losing a game to Mater Dei that dropped them all they way down to......#4.

With a rematch against #1 almost guaranteed, Jesus man, how did they do it?!

"They outscored the opposition 592-111 and had notable wins over No. 2 Mater Dei (Santa Ana), No. 25 Kahuku (Hawaii), Mission Viejo, Serra (San Mateo), Orange Lutheran (Orange), Santa Margarita (Rancho Santa Margarita), Allen (Texas), Central Catholic (Portland, Ore.) and Bishop Amat (La Puente)."

Notable wins against:

7-5 Orange Lutheran

5-5 Santa Margarita

7-4 Allen, TX

3rd best team in Oregon

9-4 Bishop Amat

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

When's the last time Lakeland won a meaningful road playoff game?

When's the last time they won a state semifinal on the road? 2006?

All road playoff games are meaningful. (They should also be rare if you've had a good season, securing HFA). So, technically it was 2020 when they won two road playoff games. Otherwise it was 2009 at Fleming Island. Last and only state semifinal road win was 2005 at Niceville.

38 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Try untwisting this pretzel.

So first he claims that STA never played elite Dade/Broward teams in the playoffs. But then turns around and claims that they also seldom played road playoff games outside of Broward.

Huh?

Who were they playing then?

A lot of the less-than-elite teams from Dade and Broward.

35 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

In a 21-14 game you trailed 7-0 and 14-7.

😄

That's one way to characterize it. The other way is to watch the game, see the disparity in talent, note the 394-127 disparity in yards, and recognize they took a knee at the half yard line when Venice couldn't stop them in short yardage all game long. the 21-14 final is strictly a result of Bill Castle deciding not to take another TD that was obviously there.

34 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

I knew this is where you would go and it's proving my point. College performance/recruitment matters little. A squad of under-recruited future prison inmates have done quite well for Lakeland in the past.

Using star ratings is what you do when all other options aren't available.

By any and every possible metric, this defense was dominant and the best in the state. They were also nastier and probably have some future prison inmates as well. They have any/all the pieces you might think are important.

36 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

This doesn't answer my question.

Maybe you don't know if he's still playing?

He's been a disappointment thus far, but it's not at all clear physical ability has anything to do with it. He sat out this season after being (probably anyway) dismissed by Napier. Are you suggesting that Lakeland's OL was underrated that year, and more deserving of his 200+ yard game?

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

I’m not picking a side on this, but I think anybody that watched the STA state game and the Lakeland state game would have to agree that a game between those teams would be pretty good. I don’t know who would win. Lakeland would probably have to play a more perfect game than St. Thomas, but they could certainly win the game. And vice versa. This is why we need to fix the classes in Florida. We don’t need nine classes. We need six.

Lakeland 2022 defense is the best in Florida bar none. DC Bill Buldini is the best in the business

Aquinas doesn't pass the ball good enough to stretch the field and anyone who attempts to run on this Dreadnaughts defense is coaching the wrong sport.

Naughts offense can be a little inconsistent but when Castle gets dialed(which is usually 3rd quarter) his traps, mis-directions, bootlegs run teams off the field, "literally". 

Lakeland is 10-14 points better than Aquinas, and I would bet any amount of money on it.

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

A lot of the less-than-elite teams from Dade and Broward.

Playoff opponents by county

2022: 2 of 5 outside of Dade/Broward (Atlantic, Jesuit)

2021: 3 of 5 outside of Dade/Broward (Atlantic, Buchholz, Tampa Bay Tech)

2020: 5 of 5 outside of Dade/Broward (Lehigh, Manatee, Venice, Bloomingdale, Edgewater)

2019: 3 of 5 outside of Dade/Broward (Atlantic, Venice, Edgewater)

Two-thirds of their playoff opponents during their current streak were from outside Dade/Broward. 

Want me to keep going?

• dntn31 changed the title to SJB Unanimous MNC