Dad makes son sell water in the Ghetto

28 minutes ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

So I was picking up my paycheck and was watching as this little kid kept running from his dad on his mountain bike to the middle of the street  to sell water bottles .. in the worst section of Newark.....

it was just depressing to watch 

Ok... I'll bite. What was depressing about it? 

I'd say at least they're hustling. Running a business or whatever... until some cops show up and choke them out or whatever tends to happen to people hustling to make a little cash up there in yankee land. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

So I was picking up my paycheck and was watching as this little kid kept running from his dad on his mountain bike to the middle of the street  to sell water bottles .. in the worst section of Newark.....

Picking up a paycheck no direct deposit?

did you buy one?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Picking up a paycheck no direct deposit?

did you buy one?

I think he is an independent contractor based on a question he asked about 1099s. So he probably did not have access to direct deposit through the payroll system. I am still lost as to why he found the kid selling water depressing. It's certainly better than many of the alternatives in the hood.

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

I think he is an independent contractor based on a question he asked about 1099s. So he probably did not have access to direct deposit through the payroll system. I am still lost as to why he found the kid selling water depressing. It's certainly better than many of the alternatives in the hood.

Correct...

. because this kids busting his ass on one of the worst streets on the east    Coast ... just so his feen for a dad can get his fix for the day... trust me I know a crack head when I see one ...

thats what's depressing 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

Correct...

. because this kids busting his ass on one of the worst streets on the east    Coast ... just so his feen for a dad can get his fix for the day... trust me I know a crack head when I see one ...

thats what's depressing 

If that's the case, you should have stated it from the beginning. For I was about to ask you whether you would have an issue with a youngster selling lemonade in the suburbs.

I began my work career in my mom's business when I was 11 years old. I resented it at the time, but in hindsight, it was probably for the best. A kid selling water in the hood is not necessarily a bad thing. Now if it is for the benefit of a parent's drug habit, that is another matter ...  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

If that's the case, you should have stated it from the beginning. For I was about to ask you whether you would have an issue with a youngster selling lemonade in the suburbs.

I began my work career in my mom's business when I was 11 years old. I resented it at the time, but in hindsight, it was probably for the best. A kid selling water in the hood is not necessarily a bad thing. Now if it is for the benefit of a parent's drug habit, that is another matter ...  

My bad should  have explained more

.. urright, I'm all for kids doing stuff like that., it builds character, people skills, money management,.. but this was straight up father exploiting son to get his dog food money for him... 

Lol steal my tv lmao I wish a ***** would 

28 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

Which would you prefer, running selling water or running with your TV?

I'm in Bergen county these cops don't play games up here. If u look out of place your getting pulled over . ... there's a reason Y i pay such high taxes

cant put a price on safety 

5 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

Cops aren't playing games anywhere. 

What is " looking out of place"?

It might be code for something nefarious. Or it could mean of a certain ethnic origin or a certain bearing or deportment. 

Regardless, a person should not be harassed or targeted by law enforcement if he/she is not breaking the law regardless of how they look relative to the community they happen to be in. Anything to the contrary is disturbing.

I think something similar (targeted for looking "out of place") lead to the killing of Treavon Martin by an over zealous citizen of Florida.

7 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

But now you give an example that would cause questioning anywhere. That is not exclusive to Bergen. Also, judging that book by it's cover has caused lot's of trouble. Tattoo's are now a signature of trouble makers or thieves?

Negative, you go into towns in Passaic Camden and Essex and all you see are these dumbasses coverd in face tats and that's normal there 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

I know. 

All my life.

What's actually disturbing is the extent to which many either don't understand the tenants of a free society, or, more disturbingly, reject them. I have lived in the USA for 35 of my 62 years. Eight of those were were spent in the NYC area. My scariest moment living in the USA was on the Garden State Parkway when I was pulled over by the State Police. Now to be honest, I was speeding (doing about 80) at 9pm. I had just left work and was heading back to Manhattan via the GWB as I had to drop off what I had worked on that day. 

I muttered a cuss word, as I had not seen my wife and then infant son since the prior day. And this was only going to delay me more. With that said, the cops had every reason to pull me over as I was speeding. So I pulled over to the soft shoulder. What happened next shocked me. I was told to get out of my car with my hands in the air. I will refer to the two cops as Mutt and Jeff based on their heights. Jeff proceeded to come up to me and put the barrel of his revolver in my face. I was shocked as speeding did not warrant that kind of response. I asked myself: was it the fact I was driving a 9 year old Cutlass Cruiser? Was it my Jamaican roots? My first instinct was to push back. However, my calmer side prevailed. Fortunately, Mutt was not as hot headed as Jeff and he proceeded to ask me more standard cop questions. Luckily, I had all my documents with me (license, insurance, work ID, etc.). After fifteen minutes, which seemed more like fifteen hours, I was told I could get in my car and drive off. Not even a ticket which I should have received. 

They actually followed me from there to the George Washington Bridge before they turned around. It was a pretty scary experience and relates to what you posted. This even contributed to my decision to leave the Tri-state area, even though I realized it would affect my career negatively.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

First mistake......getting out of your car. Never leave your vehicle if there is no need that you see. If you get out of your car, it is now unoccupied and on state property, get what I'm saying?. I always roll my window down enough for me to communicate. That is all I give. I will ask why the stop. His reason has to meet the requirements I listed above or he gets no cooperation. That will cause a phone call to a news station, which should be on speed dial if you live in an area where these type things happen. 

Even though you were in the wrong for speeding, you were under no obligation to leave your vehicle. 

You are right. But under the circumstances, I felt if I did not get out, bad things would have happened. To this day, my feelings on this have not changed. The whole situation was surreal. It took me back to my childhood in a Kingston ghetto, when, with my own eyes, I saw the police there execute someone I knew in cold blood. Not in the interest of truth, this individual was a criminal. However, he was unarmed and was not putting up any resistance. I don't believe in any civil society cops should be judge, jury and executioner. They have neither the temperament nor the training. And, even if they did, there is a reason for the separation of powers. 

It distresses me that so many on here and in wider society don't seem to grasp the above. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Darter was asked to exit his car. He had no choice but to follow the NJ State Trooper's orders. Not doing so would've just exacerbated the situation.

IMO threatening to use the local media against law enforcement is just wrong, especially for a routine traffic stop. Let them do their damn job. Not cooperating can and will only result in negative consequences for all parties involved.

20 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

BINGOOOOOOO .......All the rest is benign rhetoric.....

I disagree.

The police often over reach and violate 4th amendment freedoms in this day and time. If what they are ordering or asking of a person violated their rights or could be considered not lawful, then the person is under no obligation to cooperate in helping the officer negate their rights. Fuck that. 

Only people that have never had their rights negated in such a manner have this high falutin attitude. Maybe one day you will have your rights/manhood taken by a cop for no good reason so then you can see why there is such a difference in perspective. 

38 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Maybe in your state they do. No sense in debating this. We'll never agree. We're obviously from two different worlds. And that's ok. 

I just think that there is a difference in the amounts of intrusion we have either suffered or are willing to allow. I agree though. 

I understand your sentiment about wanting to get out of the "pull over" situation asap. I agree mostly. I just also know that for every little thing we give in on, they take that much more. Trying to view it through the lens of an African American is impossible, but if you do try, and consider that for the most part, white people have always enjoyed a level of privilege with the policing and law makers in general, then it becomes a touch easier to understand the sentiment of not giving over an inch of one's rights. 

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

You feel for them, that is a good thing. 

I just came from Mexico where children are selling whatever they can to make money. I give what I can to help them earn. They are being taught to earn their money and not steal or beg for it. Something the children in the USA could do to learn.

Just seems that today has both cops and law abiding citizens on hair trigger. Just a few weeks ago a woman was shot just for talking to the police through a cruiser window because the partner heard a loud noise.

It's not easy to give in to a cop when you know you've done nothing wrong, but when you know you broke the law it is best to comply. Leaving your vehicle is risky when you are surrounded by the police (one on either side of you), but probably better to comply than to start reciting rights unless there are a few witness's around.

A wise man once told me, do what you feel is right in a dangerous situation. Survey the situation and think. Survival is always in Your best interest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

You are right. But under the circumstances, I felt if I did not get out, bad things would have happened. To this day, my feelings on this have not changed. The whole situation was surreal. It took me back to my childhood in a Kingston ghetto, when, with my own eyes, I saw the police there execute someone I knew in cold blood. Not in the interest of truth, this individual was a criminal. However, he was unarmed and was not putting up any resistance. I don't believe in any civil society cops should be judge, jury and executioner. They have neither the temperament nor the training. And, even if they did, there is a reason for the separation of powers. 

It distresses me that so many on here and in wider society don't seem to grasp the above. 

He's right in theory, but 9 times out of 10 you're better off just doing what the officer says and not getting him riled up.   Especially if you're tired as hell after a long day of work lol.   You never know how those two might have acted if you didn't comply.