CA Bowl Games

dntn31

1 minute ago, Belly Bob said:

Of course history is important to fans of programs who have a history worth remembering. 

Are you really worried about the way CA football looks to people outside the state of CA? First, that's a different point. Second, they're not interested in the truth of things. That's why you hear the constant refrains of "CA is soft" and "CA doesn't play defense" etc. etc. 

Being proud of your history is one thing, using to support tenuous assertions about what's going on right now is another.

These comments aren't a reflection of a personal concern about the perception of CA football. As an alum, I'm glad that SJB is willing and capable of doing more than enough to defend the honor of CA football on the field. 

I'm just getting in my shots against DLS while I can. I don't personally see the appeal in doing it after they lose.

2 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Being proud of your history is one thing, using to support tenuous assertions about what's going on right now is another.

These comments aren't a reflection of a personal concern about the perception of CA football. As an alum, I'm glad that SJB is willing and capable of doing more than enough to defend the honor of CA football on the field. 

I'm just getting in my shots against DLS while I can. I don't personally see the appeal in doing it after they lose.

Doing it after they lose is gloating. And that's a vice. So it's good of you not to see the appeal in it. 

But what tenuous assertions are you talking about? My point is just that DLS has done well against OOS teams with what they've had. I still can't tell whether you agree, and if you don't, why you don't. 

But no matter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

But what tenuous assertions are you talking about?

Using stats going back to 2000 to defend DLS' OOS performance. 

They could have gone 15-0 OOS from 2000-2014, but it wouldn't change the fact they lost OOS to a first round TX team last year just to go on to win state and then lost to a 4A Utah team and are playing for a State title this year.

13 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

My point is just that DLS has done well against OOS teams with what they've had. I still can't tell whether you agree, and if you don't, why you don't. 

It's unbelievable that you're pushing this agenda.

You've claimed that DLS is the greatest program in high school football but going 6-7 in OOS games is 'doing well with what they've got'?

2 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Using stats going back to 2000 to defend DLS' OOS performance. 

They could have gone 15-0 OOS from 2000-2014, but it wouldn't change the fact they lost OOS to a first round TX team last year just to go on to win state and then lost to a 4A Utah team and are playing for a State title this year.

I didn't go back to 2000 to defend DLS' OOS performance. 

I said that they've done well with what they've had. 

What you say here is consistent with what I've been saying. 

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

I'm not sure. DLS has looked better lately.

FWIW, I agree DLS looks better.  They still have a couple of fatal flaws that SJB will exploit.  Being the logic professor, you know there's no reason why both things can't be true at the same time: They have improved quite a bit, and they still have some big weaknesses...SoCal takes a year long victory lap...BG talks about the shellacking they delivered to the CA champ...Nation chatters on and on and on about soft CA winners always losing OOS.  

We still have beer, and although I never liked the stuff myself, we NorCal folk can exercise our prop 64 rights to get through it...at least until the new AG takes office...

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, LOSer said:

That's awfully weak point to make.

Is 6-7 in OOS games not the 'truth'?

Yes, it is the truth.

1 minute ago, LOSer said:

It's unbelievable that you're pushing this agenda.

You've claimed that DLS is the greatest program in high school football but going 6-7 in OOS games is 'doing well with what they've got'?

That's right. 

Value terms are tricky, because they can tack different properties.

I don't think Ali is widely regarded as the greatest heavyweight of all time in virtue of his boxing record. 

You understand. 

2 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I don't think Ali is widely regarded as the greatest heavyweight of all time in virtue of his boxing record. 

You understand. 

Ali beat every great fighter he ever faced.

DLS loses (rather frequently) when they play other 'great' teams.