Does Cathedral High (Los Angeles, CA) get any Heisman Trophy LOVE for producing Bryce Young for mater dei?

RedZone

On 12/12/2021 at 9:55 AM, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Absolutely, Cathedral deserves some credit and love, without them Bryce doesn’t start as a Freshman/Sophomore and valuable reps that no doubt prepared him to hit the ground running at MD and more elite competition. 

There’s a lot of MD haters out there who think Bryce just swooped in out of nowhere or was recruited…etc., but what they don’t know is Bryce planned on attending MD as a Freshman, JT Daniels already had the job as a Soph. 

@HurricaneNick can fill you in on the details. Again, Cathedral definitely deserves credit/helped prepare Bryce for MD. Bryce is special…I think you gotta give credit to him first and it just so happened we both were lucky to have him.  

BY attended MD camps prior to high school. 100% correct he would have gone to MD earlier if not for JT Daniels.  FYI.. Miller Moss would have been at MD if not for BY. He too attended MD camps and was part of the planned pipeline. He, as expected, transferred to MD for his senior year after BY graduated. But since there was no 2020 Fall season he enrolled early at USC and never played a game at MD. Funny how these things work because who knows where Elijah Brown would be if Moss was able to play in 2020. 

Also, all these guys worked with the same QB coaches... Danny Hernandez, Taylor Kelly (current MD OC and strong candidate to be Rollo's successor).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RedZone said:

That's pretty funny. Young had lots of big time offers before ever stepping foot on the mater dei campus.

and, only "STARS" transfer to mater dei........it's not a developmental school. It's a school that obviously wants to rack up Myth National Championships.

Reading some of these posts is absolutely hilarious to me. Bryce Young started on varsity as a freshman at LA Cathedral, and then led his squad to one of the school’s best seasons ever as a sophomore.

Before transferring from Cathedral to Mater Dei in January 2018, Young already held scholarship offers from Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma and USC among about a dozen other schools across the country. He was not underdeveloped. Dude was a crown jewel in his recruiting class and Mater Dei understood that fact. 

Mater Dei will always take credit for the good. But, in reality, if anyone should take credit for Young’s  development over the years (outside of his parents), it’s Coach Danny Hernandez, who is now QB Coach at Los Alamitos.

But, let’s not forget, the first official game Young ever played for Mater Dei in 2018 vs Bishop Amat ended up being ruled a Forfeit by CIF.

Young’s fellow teammate from Cathedral (the player to be named later for cash considerations), Felix Fualao was ruled ineligible for Mater Dei. Sloppy transfer paperwork by MD, I’m sure. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

what was the reason why Bryce Young did not enroll at MD as a freshman? is it because he felt he wouldn't start Varsity earlier due to JT Daniels?

According to cali posters yes.

and ik that stuff happens everywhere even in texas im sure at the big programs here in texas benefit from it. 

The whole concept of waiting for a player to grad to then leave your school and just join the powerhouse is kinda crazy lol

I dont think there’s anything wrong with it but its just a weird subject to me.  

On 12/13/2021 at 9:19 AM, golfaddict1 said:

RZ, you can follow STA Camden Brown’s career… he’s originally from Monroe, LA.  Not sure when his fam moved to FL, but his HS career has been played here. He verbaled to Pitt and backed off to consider SEC offers.  He’ll be signing on wednesday with GA, Auburn, or Pitt likely.  He’s a tall and athletic WR in the ‘22 class.  

Caj, he chose Auburn.  

STA also had a LSU (Jason Taylor’s son Mason), Vandy (nice pipeline STA has had in recent years) and Coastal Carolina early commits.  

19 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Caj, he chose Auburn.  

STA also had a LSU (Jason Taylor’s son Mason), Vandy (nice pipeline STA has had in recent years) and Coastal Carolina early commits.  

OT Armella chose his father's alma mater, FSU late last night.   Funny how I was reading he was delaying his choice until Feb, and that Cristobal's hiring was making him lean to Miami, lol... silly/hopeful local media.  

On 12/13/2021 at 4:32 PM, 1901VeniceCub said:

Reading some of these posts is absolutely hilarious to me. Bryce Young started on varsity as a freshman at LA Cathedral, and then led his squad to one of the school’s best seasons ever as a sophomore.

Before transferring from Cathedral to Mater Dei in January 2018, Young already held scholarship offers from Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma and USC among about a dozen other schools across the country. He was not underdeveloped. Dude was a crown jewel in his recruiting class and Mater Dei understood that fact. 

Mater Dei will always take credit for the good. But, in reality, if anyone should take credit for Young’s  development over the years (outside of his parents), it’s Coach Danny Hernandez, who is now QB Coach at Los Alamitos.

But, let’s not forget, the first official game Young ever played for Mater Dei in 2018 vs Bishop Amat ended up being ruled a Forfeit by CIF.

Young’s fellow teammate from Cathedral (the player to be named later for cash considerations), Felix Fualao was ruled ineligible for Mater Dei. Sloppy transfer paperwork by MD, I’m sure. 

David long aka the pride of alemany. Loyola knew he was a crown jewel in his class. If anyone gets credit it should be longs personal trainer! 

16 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

David long aka the pride of alemany. Loyola knew he was a crown jewel in his class. If anyone gets credit it should be longs personal trainer! 

Ah, yes! David Long Jr., Loyola High Class of 2016! Long is just getting started for the LA Rams, after Jim Harbaugh climbed a tree at Long’s Pasadena family home to make him sign with Michigan. 

You are correct, Long initially enrolled at Alemany for (checks notes) ONE semester of his frosh year before transferring to 1901 Venice Blvd. 

But, by all means, if you would like to give credit to his personal trainer, that’s fine by me! He’s trained a long line of Loyola Pasadena Pros, which makes a ton of sense...That man is Jerry Phillips, Loyola’s DBs Coach under Drew Casani. Surprise, surprise. 

Phillips has trained the aforementioned David Long Jr, fellow NFL Cub Myles Bryant (Patriots), current Cubs in college Ceyair Wright (USC), Zakhari Spears (Washington) and Chad Bailey (Tulane), as well as Pasadena Pros Darnay Holmes (Giants) and Marvell Tell (Colts). And, plenty more Pasadena to Loyola talent to come! 

Nice try, Little Nicky. 

0218286A-2038-4C79-A52D-B3C714E8C6D5.jpeg.f3fd0a67c61abf76a01179cab152bb50.jpegFD4ACFDC-6143-4AF4-85CE-E55E17CB3834.jpeg.905b3820ac223e4c3799edbf177ae8be.jpegEE70FE3B-2852-4806-BDCF-0A0615639C65.jpeg.b0f90f801d3e0bd7a5395f5a8b8e72a0.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2021 at 5:55 AM, RedZone said:

or, is it all mater dei all of the time?

Cathedral "produced" Bryce Young?  As in, there is some sort of manufacturing plant on campus that creates talented QBs?

Or maybe... just maybe... he was already fairly talented when he enrolled at Cathedral?

4 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

Cathedral "produced" Bryce Young?  As in, there is some sort of manufacturing plant on campus that creates talented QBs?

Or maybe... just maybe... he was already fairly talented when he enrolled at Cathedral?

On this forum all the GLORY was going to mater dei.....go figure.

That's what I thought and saw.

19 hours ago, RedZone said:

On this forum all the GLORY was going to mater dei.....go figure.

That's what I thought and saw.

Take another sip of your Hatorade and read the objective posts (from both MD alum and non-MD folks). Glory goes to everyone involved in the process/his development. Period.

More interesting question that wasn’t asked is whether Bryce would’ve been as developed as he was leaving MD, vs 4yrs at Cathedral. It’s hard to argue that would be true, but I for one think he’s just ‘that special’, might not have even mattered. 

Glory to Bryce. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 2:30 AM, 1901VeniceCub said:

Ah, yes! David Long Jr., Loyola High Class of 2016! Long is just getting started for the LA Rams, after Jim Harbaugh climbed a tree at Long’s Pasadena family home to make him sign with Michigan. 

You are correct, Long initially enrolled at Alemany for (checks notes) ONE semester of his frosh year before transferring to 1901 Venice Blvd. 

But, by all means, if you would like to give credit to his personal trainer, that’s fine by me! He’s trained a long line of Loyola Pasadena Pros, which makes a ton of sense...That man is Jerry Phillips, Loyola’s DBs Coach under Drew Casani. Surprise, surprise. 

Phillips has trained the aforementioned David Long Jr, fellow NFL Cub Myles Bryant (Patriots), current Cubs in college Ceyair Wright (USC), Zakhari Spears (Washington) and Chad Bailey (Tulane), as well as Pasadena Pros Darnay Holmes (Giants) and Marvell Tell (Colts). And, plenty more Pasadena to Loyola talent to come! 

Nice try, Little Nicky. 

0218286A-2038-4C79-A52D-B3C714E8C6D5.jpeg.f3fd0a67c61abf76a01179cab152bb50.jpegFD4ACFDC-6143-4AF4-85CE-E55E17CB3834.jpeg.905b3820ac223e4c3799edbf177ae8be.jpegEE70FE3B-2852-4806-BDCF-0A0615639C65.jpeg.b0f90f801d3e0bd7a5395f5a8b8e72a0.jpeg

Anthony Barr as well, he went to Loyola and is with the Minnesota Vikings, i believe he sacked Matt Barkley during a USC-UCLA game, which injured Barkley.

19 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Anthony Barr as well, he went to Loyola and is with the Minnesota Vikings, i believe he sacked Matt Barkley during a USC-UCLA game, which injured Barkley.

Anthony Barr (Loyola Class of 2010) was a Cub from the jump. He is one of the NFL finalists for the Walter Payton Man of the Year. His younger brother Nick (UCLA Kicker) also went from Cub to Bruin. 

It was awesome watching all those Loyola NFL standouts this past weekend. The aforementioned David Long Jr on the Rams, as well as  Coleman Shelton snapping to Stafford  all game. Viking Captain Anthony Barr had 2 interceptions and 7 tackles in the same game. 

And, maybe the most consistent Loyola Cub in the NFL is Myles Bryant with the Patriots. The Pasadena product had 9 tackles from his nickel spot last week. 

Loyola Cubs everywhere. Always doing big things. 

2 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

i believe i have mentioned this before, but i don't think any MD player has ever made the Pro Bowl in the NFL yet, MD is likely hoping that either JT Daniels or Bryce Young can achieve that.

Asb will get there before Bryce or JT. He is one of two rookies to have 8 catches in 4 straight games. Odell Beckham jr is the other guy. Being in Detroit with Goff is not ideal however. He’s making it work. 

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2021/12/amon-ra-st-brown-has-emerged-as-one-of-the-years-top-steals-this-is-what-draft-success-actually-looks-like.html 

27 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Asb will get there before Bryce or JT. He is one of two rookies to have 8 catches in 4 straight games. Odell Beckham jr is the other guy. Being in Detroit with Goff is not ideal however. He’s making it work. 

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2021/12/amon-ra-st-brown-has-emerged-as-one-of-the-years-top-steals-this-is-what-draft-success-actually-looks-like.html 

Amon-Ra St. Brown, your right, can't believe i forgot about him, but anyway, its hard to believe that Servite, MD's historic rival, which their football history pales in comparison to MD, achieved that in the NFL long before MD.

referrring to Matt Slater, and Matt Slater is possibly a Pro Football Hall of Famer as well.

27 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Just now, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Amon-Ra St. Brown, your right, can't believe i forgot about him, but anyway, its hard to believe that Servite, MD's historic rival, which their football history pales in comparison to MD, achieved that in the NFL long before MD.

referrring to Matt Slater, and Matt Slater is possibly a Pro Football Hall of Famer as well.