DLS moving forward

Sammyswordsman

6 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

TL homers are defensive due to all of the off the field antics they’ve endured this season. 

Back to back 15 yard penalties for TD celebration and misconduct on the ensuing kickoff we saw in last nights game, are something that used to be rare for MD.  I don’t like the look, but it’s become status quo.  I could see it against hated Servite, but against a way overmatched Serra team?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Back to back 15 yard penalties for TD celebration and misconduct on the ensuing kickoff we saw in last nights game, are something that used to be rare for MD.  I don’t like the look, but it’s become status quo.  I could see it against hated Servite, but against a way overmatched Serra team?  

I remember 2018 Open game an MD player spitting in the face of DLS player. Seems like these antics started once they went full all star team. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maxchoboian said:

Is this you, DLSPops? Now reporting from your home in the NW? Always thought the DLS was for Double Letter Score. You'd be a challenge in a game of Scrabble. If it's you, hope things are going well up there.

This is me.  I’m not attempting subterfuge — I couldn’t find my old screen name/ sign in.

I don’t plan to be back often but I enjoy chirping at Sammy basking in MD’s glow.  

Time to get a Regis — DLS game.  Give a holler if you’re ever up in the San Juan islands 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, On2whls said:

It’s virtually impossible to develop the same ethos for an all-star team as well as n organic team.  That behavior will be par for the course.  

reminds me of: 

1). Khalil mckenzie’s brief stint at dls — dls is a bad match for someone with an oversized ego.  

2). Bishop Gorman on multiple occasions refusing to shake hands PRE GAME with opponents that can’t hang within 40 of them 

2 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Yes,  I wrote something similar a couple years ago.  Turns out I was correct as DLS has fared even more poorly than the did back a couple years ago.

Instead of just losing badly in a SBG to a "Super team" now they have  lost to a fellow Nor Cal team, and also to the unthinkable.  In the latter game they had 16 penalties.  Now boosters can't even point to a "perfect effort" and hang on being pius to explain the drop off of talent.

DLS is truly at a cross roads as it pertains to being relevant in National HS football.  Maybe they don't care about that and thats fine.  If they do wish to get back into the conversation for National and State relevance, then changes do need to be made.

I am not saying DLS needs to "sell their soul". DLS would have to figure out how to once again be a "destination school" for top youth football players.  Some people say DLS needs to attract better QB talent.  Some guys say DLS needs to get better linemen to want to come to DLS.

Usually a supportive principal will make all the difference.  I am not clear on the position of DLS current principal or if he was the same principal that enabled Lad to do his thing, but that is where direction will come from.

This thread poses the question as to what the direction of the school will be.  Whether they continue to de-emphazise football, or put more energy.  DLS is an excellent Jesuit school who turns out fine young men.  No one disputes that.  I am sure that DLS is spoken very highly of on the Jesuit boards.  On Prepgridiron we are mainly concerned about the football program, so that is what the conversation should center on.

I expect them to put the same energy into it they have for last 40+ years since Lad sort of forced them to care about it.  They only added football to help with attendance and then realized they needed to win occasionally also.  

Lad joined in ‘79 and dos had their very first winning season.  Three years later, they went undefeated with Lad’s first class.  2021 was first year servite had the better team so there’s no great angst at winton.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PopsNW said:

I expect them to put the same energy into it they have for last 40+ years since Lad sort of forced them to care about it.  They only added football to help with attendance and then realized they needed to win occasionally also.  

Lad joined in ‘79 and dos had their very first winning season.  Three years later, they went undefeated with Lad’s first class.  2021 was first year servite had the better team so there’s no great angst at winton.  

I'm having angst because I want DLS to be strong.  They should be stronger than Servite every year because DLS has no competition in the area for talent.  So should Folsom for that matter.

31 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I'm having angst because I want DLS to be strong.  They should be stronger than Servite every year because DLS has no competition in the area for talent.  So should Folsom for that matter.

DLS’s total geography is about 1 million people — that’s +/- contra costa county, which dls mostly covers.  Folsom had less besides being a public school.

The trinity league is basically gathering and splitting up the best players from 25 million people (excluding the occasional NorCal or OOS nugget they also pluck)

Servite should be better than DLS every year, but this year was first time ever.  

the real question is “why?”

14 minutes ago, PopsNW said:

DLS’s total geography is about 1 million people — that’s +/- contra costa county, which dls mostly covers.  Folsom had less besides being a public school.

The trinity league is basically gathering and splitting up the best players from 25 million people (excluding the occasional NorCal or OOS nugget they also pluck)

Servite should be better than DLS every year, but this year was first time ever.  

the real question is “why?”

I wouldn't say "ever".  Servite was better every year from 1960-1993, and 2009, 2020, 2021.

The reason is DLS was so dominant for a span was coaching stability and lack of local competition.  DLS was only definitely better than Servite from 1996 - 2008

5 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I wouldn't say "ever".  Servite was better every year from 1960-1993, and 2009, 2020, 2021.

The reason is DLS was so dominant for a span was coaching stability and lack of local competition.  DLS was only definitely better than Servite from 1996 - 2008

I know you’ve got a connection to the 2009 team but I think you have to let that one go after the 2010 SBG — outside of that we’re agreeing on about a 25 year streak — I’ll give you 2020 and be skeptical of your assertions of pre’95 — DLS won MNCs in ‘94 and ‘96 and only lost one game between ‘87 and ‘04, would up punching mater dei in the mouth 4 straight during the era which they owned you.

I know about Servite ‘82 so I’ll concede early eighties 

Was St Paul’s in Trinity league back in the glory days?  Seems like there’s a historical rivalry in banter 

20 minutes ago, PopsNW said:

I know you’ve got a connection to the 2009 team but I think you have to let that one go after the 2010 SBG — outside of that we’re agreeing on about a 25 year streak — I’ll give you 2020 and be skeptical of your assertions of pre’95 — DLS won MNCs in ‘94 and ‘96 and only lost one game between ‘87 and ‘04, would up punching mater dei in the mouth 4 straight during the era which they owned you.

I know about Servite ‘82 so I’ll concede early eighties 

Was St Paul’s in Trinity league back in the glory days?  Seems like there’s a historical rivalry in banter 

The Trinity League used to be called the Angelus league.  Servite, Mater Dei, Bishop Amat, St. Paul, Pius X.

The Holy wars.   Lots of great games and National caliber teams

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

with MD more than likely getting their 5th Natty, DLS is probably nervous, that MD will likely surpass them in number of Natties one day, also, which former DLS player would you say had the most successful NFL career?

Why would they be nervous?  They don't care what others do.

And I'd say MJD had the most successful career although Aaron Taylor and Amani Toomer might beg to differ.