California CIF State Bowl Championships

Cal 14

4 hours ago, steeler01 said:

I think they'd be better than the current DLS teams with equal talent. The diversity in their offense would give teams with better talent fits

With the caveat that 1st 3Qs is the only time I've seen Serra this year...

I agree, a lot of us up north have liked what Walsh is doing for a long time.  I also agree that Serra does a great job giving diverse looks in their offense.  I'd even say that's where DLS is probably trying to go.

The part I'm wondering about (and this is a genuine question), is if this year Serra doesn't have as much, or even a little more, talent overall on the roster as DLS.  Watching last night, Serra  had 3 D1 guys on the O-Line, Gi is probably going to play college somewhere (Sidney running him down just before the half had to be the play of the game), and Lamkin, who is also probably going to play somewhere, makes all those looks run in a way that this years DLS QB never could.  ( Sidebar note:  Serra's best player, WR, was out -- tough to lose your go to guy -- but I would have loved to see how he fared against the big boys).

No idea what Serra has on defense -- They were only on the field for about 4 minutes...

Between the two, DLS probably had the best individual player this year, but I'm genuinely not sure they had more overall talent.    It would've been great to see DLS with Lamkin as the QB this year -- They still wouldn't beat the SoCal powers, but we might be talking about them and the coaching staff a little differently...

4 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

I agree, a lot of us up north have liked what Walsh is doing for a long time.  I also agree that Serra does a great job giving diverse looks in their offense.  I'd even say that's where DLS is probably trying to go.

The part I'm wondering about (and this is a genuine question), is if this year Serra doesn't have as much, or even a little more, talent overall on the roster as DLS.  Watching last night, Serra  had 3 D1 guys on the O-Line, Gi is probably going to play college somewhere (Sidney running him down just before the half had to be the play of the game), and Lamkin, who is also probably going to play somewhere, makes all those looks run in a way that this years DLS QB never could.  ( Sidebar note:  Serra's best player, WR, was out -- tough to lose your go to guy -- but I would have loved to see how he fared against the big boys).

No idea what Serra has on defense -- They were only on the field for about 4 minutes...

Between the two, DLS probably had the best individual player this year, but I'm genuinely not sure they had more overall talent.    It would've been great to see DLS with Lamkin as the QB this year -- They still wouldn't beat the SoCal powers, but we might be talking about them and the coaching staff a little differently...

I said it yesterday but when was the last time DLS had a great QB? Why would a top NorCal qb want to play within that offensive scheme? Might be time to ditch the veer?

• Like 2

even though LB Poly won their 20th CIF section title in the schools history, they seem to be cursed when it comes to winning a state title, since they are 0-3 in their attempts since CA CIF reinstated in 2006, because they lost by close margins in their 3 attempts. Hopefully Corona Centennial can be a challenger again for MD and Bosco.

3 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

I said it yesterday but when was the last time DLS had a great QB? Why would a top NorCal qb want to play within that offensive scheme? Might be time to ditch the veer?

First, congrats to your blue dogs, nice resilience though a challenging stretch of season, and  the program seems to have weathered the Taylor transition just fine.

You ask a fair question.  The Montana kid was a great illustration of it more than a decade ago.  He arrived on campus because the team was well coached and he'd get plenty of exposure.  He transferred out because running the veer wasn't going to help him develop the skills he needed for the next level...

I think it's fair to say DLS is at a crossroads.  The staff transition is now complete, and they are implementing a more varied offense (but was a master of none this year).  I have a friend who played on the very first streak team (Pat Walsh was captain), and what he basically said when I asked him about the team this week was: Losing to Pittsburg was what caused that team to re-evaluate everything, re-double their efforts, and the next year set them on a path that lasted a dozen years ultimately landing them in the history books.  My friend mentioned the team was at a crossroads after the 2004 season too.

So, we'll see.  But the program has been here at least a couple times before.  It may take some time, but  I hear good things about the QB coming up...                                                          

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 9:21 AM, 15yds4gibberish said:

Serra has never had a good looking offense, at least all the times over the years I have watched them . Just smash mouth basically . If you think Lampkin is a premier qb, than I don't know what to think . They didn't look that good on offense  both times they played SF. The game vs MD was similar to the 2017 game Dls had vs MD . No offense to really make a threat at all .Serras' defense wasn't half bad . They definitely look like a great team getting off the bus . But the coaching has never been elite imop. In fact, I can't ever remember Serra wiining a big out of league game vs oos or socal . They lost too del oro in a game way back where I was certain they would win . Serra is big, and has talent. But I think they under acheive with all they have  

16 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

...If you think Lampkin is a premier qb, than I don't know what to think ...

Hmmmm.   Here's exactly the sum total of what I wrote about Lamkin based on what I saw Saturday:

On 12/12/2021 at 9:21 AM, 15yds4gibberish said:

...and Lamkin, who is also probably going to play somewhere, makes all those looks run in a way that this years DLS QB never could...

Not sure how "probably going to play somewhere" screams "premier" to you, but I'm not that interested in parsing the definition of the word "premier' -- People can decide for themselves what they think I meant.

FWIW,  I didn't know what the future might hold for Lamkin when I wrote my sentence on Sunday, so I looked this morning. He has offers from Fresno State, New Mexico, Idaho, and Illinois State...which is about what I would have expected based on what I saw.

On 12/12/2021 at 9:27 AM, Extremely Humble said:

They’ve had 4 or 5 D1 (1 NFL) QBs since 2000.  Most recently, Bart Houston, led them to 3 Open titles in 2009 to 2011 before leading Wisconsin to a bowl win.  

neither Gino Toretta (Heisman) nor Kyle Wright (national POY) were accepted to school 

48 minutes ago, PopsNW said:

They’ve had 4 or 5 D1 (1 NFL) QBs since 2000.  Most recently, Bart Houston, led them to 3 Open titles in 2009 to 2011 before leading Wisconsin to a bowl win.  

neither Gino Toretta (Heisman) nor Kyle Wright (national POY) were accepted to school 

Thanks. So it's been a decade since DLS has had a legit D1 qb. That's not a recipe for success. Why would a top Norcal QB go play for a team that runs 80% of the time? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Hmmmm.   Here's exactly the sum total of what I wrote about Lamkin based on what I saw Saturday:

Not sure how "probably going to play somewhere" screams "premier" to you, but I'm not that interested in parsing the definition of the word "premier' -- People can decide for themselves what they think I meant.

FWIW,  I didn't know what the future might hold for Lamkin when I wrote my sentence on Sunday, so I looked this morning. He has offers from Fresno State, New Mexico, Idaho, and Illinois State...which is about what I would have expected based on what I saw.

Colleges look for the upside and all the tangibles that go with it . I'm talking about the offense that Serra runs . What i'm saying , is that offense serra runs has been nothing to boast about . 

6 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

Thanks. So it's been a decade since DLS has had a legit D1 qb. That's not a recipe for success. Why would a top Norcal QB go play for a team that runs 80% of the time? 

Hale was an excellent H.S. qb. , just the last full season before this one . Sweeney was the  last good one before Hale in 2015

9 minutes ago, Extremely Humble said:

I like both of those players but they're not D1 quarterbacks. 

We are talking H.S. here . Almost any h.s. would love to have had a player like Hale . In fact , I would take folsom's qb over some of the qb's who have more stars after their name . Will he go far in college ?  No, he doesn't have the upside and all the tangibles . But right now in h,s, , he is better, more effective than a lot of d-1 qb prospects . The down turn for dls this season was their line were below the norm . The qb was fine . The play calling and game plan for folsom  II  was dls's problem . The coaches were lazy, over confident it seems. They thought they could beat folsom the same way they always have, which is run it down their throat , not considering folsom would sell out against run with everyone up in the box . CC had a much better game plan . I wouldn't read too much into the loss vs folsom . Dls will play them next year and beat them as usual . What really needs to happen is to get a true Open format for Norcal so that the same incentive is there for every team who wishes to play for the top spot, and not decided by individual's wishes 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaliNorth said:

We are talking H.S. here . Almost any h.s. would love to have had a player like Hale . In fact , I would take folsom's qb over some of the qb's who have more stars after their name . Will he go far in college ?  No, he doesn't have the upside and all the tangibles . But right now in h,s, , he is better, more effective than a lot of d-1 qb prospects . The down turn for dls this season was their line were below the norm . The qb was fine . The play calling and game plan for folsom  II  was dls's problem . The coaches were lazy, over confident it seems. They thought they could beat folsom the same way they always have, which is run it down their throat , not considering folsom would sell out against run with everyone up in the box . CC had a much better game plan . I wouldn't read too much into the loss vs folsom . Dls will play them next year and beat them as usual . What really needs to happen is to get a true Open format for Norcal so that the same incentive is there for every team who wishes to play for the top spot, and not decided by individual's wishes 

No offense to the kid but their QB this year was not very good. More of a game manager. They need a straight gamer at QB to be able to hang with the juggernauts down south. Something to at least keep defenses honest. Folsom was able to stop the run because they knew DLS QB wasn't going to beat them through the air.

Regarding DLS/Folsom next year I'm not even sure DLS is the favorite anymore. Folsom brings back their best players and a solid underclass. DLS is losing their best player in Berry. Folsom's JV and Frosh teams boat raced DLS. I think the big question for both teams is their QB's. Both Folsom and DLS have hyped sophmore QB's.  I'm sure DLS will get some transfers but I do hope they run it back next year or better yet have a Norcal Open. 

2 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Nothing against the DLS QB but I he certainly didn't make many throws from the pocket or while rolling out.  Even Hale, who I think was a good hs QB, struggled with pocket passing.  Simple 10-15 yd curls or outs, which are pretty easy throws, was like a box of chocolates, you never knew what you were going to get.  

I will say that the Open game against MD in 18' was the best O that I have seen DLS run and it was enough to keep them in the game.  Loved the way they opened up the offense and am really disappointed, as most of us, that the Covid season took away Hales senior year.

I have a hard time understanding why DLS couldn't develop these kids to make basic throws.  

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

Nothing against the DLS QB but I he certainly didn't make many throws from the pocket or while rolling out.  Even Hale, who I think was a good hs QB, struggled with pocket passing.  Simple 10-15 yd curls or outs, which are pretty easy throws, was like a box of chocolates, you never knew what you were going to get.  

I will say that the Open game against MD in 18' was the best O that I have seen DLS run and it was enough to keep them in the game.  Loved the way they opened up the offense and am really disappointed, as most of us, that the Covid season took away Hales senior year.

I have a hard time understanding why DLS couldn't develop these kids to make basic throws.  

I completely agree . Making a pass in h.s. , ( I'm not counting tier 1 teams ) can be one of the simplest things to do . You have to have a line that protects, and some skill players with hands . It's there for the taking if the qb is half way decent . You just have to practice it more until it becomes comfortable . That 2019 dls offense was dynamite . Alumbaugh just seems too gun shy to air it out more . Next yr's qb is a D-1 . There will be the usual learning curve, but I bet he will open things up much sooner in the passing

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

No offense to the kid but their QB this year was not very good. More of a game manager. They need a straight gamer at QB to be able to hang with the juggernauts down south. Something to at least keep defenses honest. Folsom was able to stop the run because they knew DLS QB wasn't going to beat them through the air.

Regarding DLS/Folsom next year I'm not even sure DLS is the favorite anymore. Folsom brings back their best players and a solid underclass. DLS is losing their best player in Berry. Folsom's JV and Frosh teams boat raced DLS. I think the big question for both teams is their QB's. Both Folsom and DLS have hyped sophmore QB's.  I'm sure DLS will get some transfers but I do hope they run it back next year or better yet have a Norcal Open. 

Should be a good game . Better yet, meet in an Open playoff game

• Like 1