OT: Today's Pot-Stirring Query

Rufus69

1 minute ago, dan in daytona said:

To compromise on everthing would be intolerable. To compromise on nothing should be grounds for the trash heap. To steal from BillyBob above, only a lefty communist or a right fascist believes Health Care is a black and white issue in America.  Make know misstake, it's all GRAY. The same with gun control issues...GRAY. Compromises are a must !  On the other hand, gays in the military...BLACK and WHITE. Interpret the Constition, except the court results. If not, protest, oust unfavorable pols, create new laws....the American way.

As for Trump and the influence the Generals around him might yield, sure it's a little unsettling. The founding fathers, Madison in particular, would take notice. But if any administration, in memory, needed discipline it's Trump's. Hopefully they bring maturity to the west wing.  

Yeah, I kind of meant it as they never compromise on anything, but I see the way it looks is that I expect them to work together on everything. 

I think there is compromise to be had on most everything inside the senate... maybe not the house as much. The compromise is just not all inside one party. There are enough moderates in both parties that there could be a moderate majority, but we have a president scolding them if they even hint at working together on real solutions that could be bipartisan and fairly bulletproof due to that. 

Trump wants to win for Trump. He doesn't want to win for U.S. 

21 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

We need new parties with new ideas that put the American people first. Our system is rapidly being broken. Trump is but an acceleration of a trend many years in the making. 

with our winner take all system it will always break down into two parties. The names dont matter.

6 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think it's the confirmation bias that Nooner was on about so much that turns people off to Jesus. The Jesus followers seem to think that Jesus works for them when it was meant to be the other way around. 

That may be. 

I was thinking that it was the hypocrisy, which, ironically enough, Jesus himself was on about so much. 

12 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think it's the confirmation bias that Nooner was on about so much that turns people off to Jesus. The Jesus followers seem to think that Jesus works for them when it was meant to be the other way around. 

The Jesus story works perfectly. He is whatever the believer wants him to be. Its how we get Westboro Baptist and MLK Jr.

Just now, Belly Bob said:

That may be. 

I was thinking that it was the hypocrisy, which, ironically enough, Jesus himself was on about so much. 

It's hypocrisy also.

For folks that really didn't know... besides being the savior, Jesus is a commercial salesman now. He sells bibles, prayer cloths, bornx2 tee shirts and bumper stickers and political agendas. Somewhere along the way, people decided this was the best way. To make Jesus work for them. 

The fact that the people that do this are largely successful people in the eyes of man leads many to falter at the beliefs and morals taught by Jesus. 

• Like 1

A little off topic but I had door to door Baptist come to my house the other day.  We talked for a while, nice guy's but OMG they are wrong. :P  I tried to help them but I had no success as they walked away in the same condition they came in.  They were telling me about a jealous God who is vengeful and will punish me if I don't believe that Jesus is my savior.  Anybody else have door to door Baptist come to their house? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

A little off topic but I had door to door Baptist come to my house the other day.  We talked for a while, nice guy's but OMG they are wrong. :P  I tried to help them but I had no success as they walked away in the same condition they came in.  They were telling me about a jealous God who is vengeful and will punish me if I don't believe that Jesus is my savior.  Anybody else have door to door Baptist come to their house? 

Never!

Jehovah's Witnesses used to come by quite a bit. 

When the Mormon boys come by I get them to take the roll out can to the street and rake the leaves etc. in exchange for accepting their pamphlets. Such nice boys. 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I wish. All I get is JW's now and they don't even come in to talk these days. They send a kid up with a flier as they wait back by the street. Such a cowardly act by the adults.

Damn, guys, I was just perusing my local paper and found this editorial column that is basically what we were just discussing as it pertained to the "religion" side of this thread. 

Maybe, you'll appreciate it, maybe not. I guess that Mr. Walden and myself share a similar thought on this although he was better at conveying it poignantly. Hell it even has football in the title... it would be sacrilege to not share it. 

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/ga_fl_news/column-about-prayer-and-political-footballs/article_dafcd73c-739e-11e7-99b0-87506a864749.html

Column: About prayer and political footballs

• By Dwain Walden dwain.walden@gaflnews.com
  •  
  • Jul 28, 2017

MOULTRIE — It was 1962. I was in the eighth grade, seated at a table in the library which was a study hall period. My dad had just undergone exploratory surgery. He had internal bleeding and the doctors had not given him much chance of survival.

Some 20 miles away in another hospital, my brother-in-law had been stabilized following an automobile accident. The family was shuttling between the two hospitals with their anxieties in tow. It was not a good day.

I remember it was fifth period. I sat at the third table on the row next to the outside wall of windows. I had a copy of Ernest Hemingway’s “The Old Man and the Sea” before me. I wore a denim jacket. Miss Grace Puckett was in charge of study hall. She stopped by my table and asked how my family was doing. She had taught some of them.

It’s funny how one can remember such specifics given all the water that has flowed under the bridge and the flotsam that has battered the pilings. But some memories anchor themselves in the stream of life.  

I read very little of Hemingway’s classic that day.  I recall I said a prayer…a silent prayer, not a rote technical pronunciation.

I don’t recall the exactness of my petition, only the bottom line … that God would fix things.

I had this notion, fostered by my parents and the little country church I grew up in, that one could pray anywhere, anytime — that prayer was absolutely one’s own … a soul possession that could not be taken away. And even though we always repeated “The Lord’s Prayer” in unison first thing each morning at school, my crisis called for a private line.

I doubt anyone around me even knew that I prayed. I did not interfere with what they were doing, nor were they a hindrance to me.

My prayer was not subject to politicians, legislatures nor courts.  I was not directed what to say, when to begin and when to end. There was no debate about the appropriateness of my petition, the origin of mankind, man’s significance in the universe nor the fragility of our existence, though I was quite aware of it at the moment.

It was some years later when the prayer in school issue became heated. Since then I have been mostly amused at the politicians squawking on the matter, alternately wrapping themselves in altar linen and the American Flag to perpetuate their well-feathered nests and suggesting perhaps that God would attend only one of the two political conventions.

They would lift their arms toward the heavens, shake their fists like a televangelist advertising Rolex and proclaim that they “will put God back in the classroom.”

And so I often had the urge to ask them to include the library and maybe even the lunchroom, especially on those days we had Spam.

The sacredness of prayer had been reduced to the level of plastic grins at campaign barbecues and was smothered in the smog of smoke-filled rooms where political strategies were formed.

I’ve never thought much of organized rote prayer. I guess I keep going back to the instructions of Christ who told us to go into our closets to pray. But even as personal as that relationship might be, I was not to bother Him with helping me find bream beds on the Ochlocknee.

And still today, I think people should quit blaming the courts for the failure of parents and the church in this regard. My two cents.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It's hypocrisy also.

For folks that really didn't know... besides being the savior, Jesus is a commercial salesman now. He sells bibles, prayer cloths, bornx2 tee shirts and bumper stickers and political agendas. Somewhere along the way, people decided this was the best way. To make Jesus work for them. 

The fact that the people that do this are largely successful people in the eyes of man leads many to falter at the beliefs and morals taught by Jesus. 

Nah

i may talk to him tonight before bedtime but not buying one of those over priced bibles and tee shirts

and god forbid a bumper sticker on my car 😝

• Like 1

4 hours ago, World Citizen said:

The problem is most people dont know how to properly represent Jesus. They are morons that dont know him themselves.

Jesus is Love. Plain & Simple. Anything else is just hellfire & brimstone nonsense.

Im sure Americas enemies rejoiced as much or more than Trumps own followers when he won the election.

My guess is, they knew this would happen. Turmoil within and without Washington. 

America is being challenged in ways its never seen before. Threatening to devour itself from the inside-out. Making its citizens numb to lies, deceipt, and corruption. All great civilizations have eventually fallen throughout history. 

No matter how solid the foundation, eventually something will threaten to destroy it. What we do in the next few years will determine if we establish a dynasty that will last another 1,000 years... or if we collapse into nothing, like every other great civilization throughout history. 

The decay of western society is at hand...Trump is a maggot, feeding on its insides.

5 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

The ECHS strategy. 

37 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Everything I said about CalPreps for years was true.

It was me & 1 other person vs all the CA posters and about 10 others. 

I won.

Aha!

That's exactly what I would expect someone following the ECHS strategy to say. 

19 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Exactly what I would expect someone following the Establishments strategy to say.

I'm just messing around.

I have no idea what's going on with CP, other than that you have been in a long-running debate over its legitimacy as a national ranking (or rating?) system with various other members. 

For all I know, you've had it right the whole time.