Will America's No. 1 QB recruit Quinn Ewers give up 7-figure NIL offers for one more season of Texas high school football?

Cracker

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

No we don’t, change comes about from not accepting things, I’m not just speaking about this NIL issue either 

What I mean is we have to accept the NIL horse is already out of the barn, so to speak. What happens from this point on is where the change can occur. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

You're talking to individual decisions and wealth I'm talking to the macro view of the Industry impacted over the long haul, amateur sports. I predict the NIL will not be good for amateur sports. This is analogous to a person making profits in the short term but destroying the environment along the way  

Yeah, I see your angle, but we can't agree, Carry on!

I thought high school and college participants were student-athletes.  Couldn’t help but notice the arguments against NIL opportunities seem to often bring up that it takes away the athletes’ focus on perfecting their craft, getting better at their sport and the most important goal - winning on the field.

the fact that no one discusses educational advantages/disadvantages of skipping senior year of hs, for me at least, speaks loudest.  For the vast majority of major college sports a college education is just a fig leaf tacked onto a breathtakingly exploitative system whereby those “in charge” divide up the money and tell those who generate said money they should be grateful for their nearly expense-less scholarship (think airline freq flyer miles here) and that now they can also get a bagel with cream cheese for a  late night snack

If my son had the opportunity to start college off with 500k in the bank I would tell him how hard and long I had to work to accomplish the same. And wouldn’t so many “busts” in college wish they had had that opportunity

This will change the current system. In my view the current system has become such an embarrassment as to be indefensible.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NJ Lurker said:

I thought high school and college participants were student-athletes.  Couldn’t help but notice the arguments against NIL opportunities seem to often bring up that it takes away the athletes’ focus on perfecting their craft, getting better at their sport and the most important goal - winning on the field.

the fact that no one discusses educational advantages/disadvantages of skipping senior year of hs, for me at least, speaks loudest.  For the vast majority of major college sports a college education is just a fig leaf tacked onto a breathtakingly exploitative system whereby those “in charge” divide up the money and tell those who generate said money they should be grateful for their nearly expense-less scholarship (think airline freq flyer miles here) and that now they can also get a bagel with cream cheese for a  late night snack

If my son had the opportunity to start college off with 500k in the bank I would tell him how hard and long I had to work to accomplish the same. And wouldn’t so many “busts” in college wish they had had that opportunity

This will change the current system. In my view the current system has become such an embarrassment as to be indefensible.

the system was basically the same as it always was from back in the day when scholarships were an honor and amateurism meant something

that should have never changed for players regardless of how many millions the coaches were making. Marxist agitators have made players unhappy when they were happy before.

Tuitions have increased and blue collar professions have declined, making those scholarships more valuable for players who need them or else may not ever have access to higher education

2 hours ago, OldTerrapin said:

Another way to look at this is as fast as one can become a social media darling they can turn on you just as fast. One misstep or says/post the wrong thing and poof no one is interested in him anymore in that way and Kombucha is quickly not interested anymore.  To me that has as much if not bigger chance of happening over the next few months than getting injured playing his senior year. 

yeah, this is a bubble that will burst eventually. The question is how long will it take, and how much irreparable harm will have been incurred by the time it does burst?

• Thanks 1

There IS a market for high school programs and their athletes. It's of course minuscule compared to college or the pros. But, it's not zero. In a town like the one I'm from, a star player on the Lakeland Dreadnaughts may have some value to a local restaurant or car dealership. It's my understanding that it was great to be Chris Rainey back in 2006 😂.

10 hours ago, The Colonel said:

but we all have to “accept” it. 

Every year we have to "accept" more and more......and more.

Add this to the list.

..sanctimonious assholes like Finch pitching a bitch is comedy gold though. Freaking STA and similar are on the list too. We "accept" it.....15-20 transfers?, GTF out of here.

21 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

This came out of nowhere.

But this has been a bipartisan effort if I ever saw one. Free market absolutists joining hands with left-wing activists to completely derail amateur athletics.

think about the recent push by some athletes to unionize their schools and conferences

that doesn't happen if leftists aren't screaming at the players that they're being exploited, Did they not know the deal when they signed their NLI?

how could this end disastrously.  the only thing being given up is playing senior year of hs fball.  If he had stayed he still planned to enroll at osu as an 18 ear old, still would have high expectations placed on him, still would have ridiculously high profile.  by leaving early he has the chance to build some wealth for himself.  Even if he ends up being a "bust" would skipping last year of hs and earning $1M be the primary reason?  Plenty of 4/5 stars are busts; before NIL they just returned home after 3 or 4 years with 3/4 of a recreation management B.A.  For me, that is closer to a disastrous ending

4 minutes ago, NJ Lurker said:

how could this end disastrously. 

A high school kid skipping his senior year to be a third-stringer in college just so he can sign an endorsement deal with a kombucha company?

How could this go bad?

Gee, I don't know.

He could never see the field.

He could get on the field and stink.

He could have zero social media impact and lose the endorsement.

He could regret not being a normal teenager and playing high school football.

He could miss an important step in his development as a young man.

Literally a myriad of things could go wrong.

• Like 1

sorry, but I don't buy any of that.  Just my opinion.  Why not try a thought experiment.  When a 16 or 17 year old makes it big in entertainment, decides to leave h.s. and work to make the most of a once in a lifetime opportunity, is there so much collective hand-wringing?  To my recollection, no.  Why not?  Why do we have such different standards for athletes?  Perhaps we are letting our nostalgia for our h.s. times get in the way of assessing the situation?  Seems a lot of people are quick to dismiss $1M, which is reportedly available now; not in 5 months.  No, money isn't everything - but a nest egg certainly provides protection against not being able to compete in a highly competitive environment.

26 minutes ago, NJ Lurker said:

When a 16 or 17 year old makes it big in entertainment, decides to leave h.s. and work to make the most of a once in a lifetime opportunity, is there so much collective hand-wringing?  To my recollection, no.  Why not?  Why do we have such different standards for athletes? 

Because a a teenage singer is actually generating revenue as a performer and is presumably one of the best at what he/she does.

A teenage QB who skips his senior year of high school to hock kombucha is a bench-warmer.

In other words, the teenage entertainer is a professional who is at top of his/her industry. The high school QB is not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...