Will America's No. 1 QB recruit Quinn Ewers give up 7-figure NIL offers for one more season of Texas high school football?

Cracker

6 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

So your opinion is that Quinn Ewers is not very good, which is a different topic than whether or not high school football players should take money if they have the opportunity. And Ewers has that opportunity, apparently.

Yes, your tennis examples are wrong because they were actually world-class players who were being paid for their performance.

Quinn Ewers has done nothing and wouldn't be paid a cent by anybody to play football.

2 minutes ago, RedZone said:

There's NO ho-hum.

STA is looking out for #1-wants to win badly.......kids transferring to STA are looking out for #1-themselves.

Things are what they are. You playing morality police is pretty humorous though.

Me, I don't care enough about it one way of the other. It's out of my control. I stated my opinion a month ago.

Carry on

RedZone, embarrassing himself by not having an actual argument about the topic, now goes full throttle on STA regarding a completely different topic.

What's more is that I bet I'll get blamed for changing the subject to STA.

2 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

RedZone being utterly incompetent and pathetic as usual.

I'm the least laudatory or ingratiating of anybody on this board when it comes to football transfers.

You're the one who props up these kids whenever you want to complain about a transfer.

I remember you whining about Colton Lynn. Don't remember him? Not surprising.

But because he transferred to STA in 2013 and played against John Curtis you went apeshit. Turns out I was right to dismiss his presence as a mere high school kid going to.....high school. Nothing more.

You never learn these lessons which is sad for how old you are.

No one even knows what you are talking about, especially me....STA picked up 15-17 transfers this off season.

Like I said.........everyone wants fame and fortune.

Don't close your eyes.

12 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Yes, your tennis example are wrong because they were actually world-class players who were being paid for their performance.

Like Ewers, the tennis players were not being paid for their performance before they were paid for their performance. It turns out they were world-class players after they became professional. To say there was no question whatsoever that they would become as successful as they did, when they were still amateurs, would have been a guess. 

I, too, am surprised you are struggling with this.

3 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

To say there was no question whatsoever that they would become as successful as they did, when they were still amateurs, would have been a guess. 

I didn't say this at all.

You're out in left field.

They turned professional and beat other professionals to become the best in the world at what they do.

Quinn Ewers isn't turning professional and if he did would be put into a body bag.

Just now, maxchoboian said:

What is this thread about? I thought it had something to do with his opportunity to get paid because of football.

He's not being paid by a Kombucha company to play football.

He's peddling his crappy level of fame.

Not the same thing.

Martina Hingis was the best female tennis player in the world at that point in her life.

Stop making bad syllogisms. 

22 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

He's not being paid by a Kombucha company to play football.

He's peddling his crappy level of fame.

Not the same thing.

Martina Hingis was the best female tennis player in the world at that point in her life.

Stop making bad syllogisms. 

Where did his crappy level of fame come from?

Again, Martina Hingis was not the best female tennis player in the world before she became a professional. A few years later she was though.

Ewers is not the best football player in the world. So he shouldn't consider taking advantage of a significant financial opportunity?

45 minutes ago, Cracker said:

It makes 100% sense. Take what you can get, when you can get it. He might have an injury that ends his ability to capitalize in that market. Please crack open an economics book, at least for a brief moment. LOL!

You're talking to individual decisions and wealth I'm talking to the macro view of the Industry impacted over the long haul, amateur sports. I predict the NIL will not be good for amateur sports. This is analogous to a person making profits in the short term but destroying the environment along the way  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Colonel said:

Yet, people do it every day. People vote against their own self-interests, and cede power to others who don’t care about them. Hell, some loot and burn their own neighborhoods and then complain when businesses don’t come back. Unintended consequences are the realities of our economy. It’s always been this way….

And that's why we are where we are today, weaker collectively.  Giving an explanation and pointing to what we've done in the past doesn't make it acceptable. 

47 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Yes, your tennis examples are wrong because they were actually world-class players who were being paid for their performance.

Quinn Ewers has done nothing and wouldn't be paid a cent by anybody to play football.

Another way to look at this is as fast as one can become a social media darling they can turn on you just as fast. One misstep or says/post the wrong thing and poof no one is interested in him anymore in that way and Kombucha is quickly not interested anymore.  To me that has as much if not bigger chance of happening over the next few months than getting injured playing his senior year. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Ewers is not the best football player in the world. So he shouldn't consider taking advantage of a significant financial opportunity?

He's not even a professional of any kind.

He shouldn't even be getting these offers but even if he is then his parents should display some better judgment and tell him to wait 5 months.