Will America's No. 1 QB recruit Quinn Ewers give up 7-figure NIL offers for one more season of Texas high school football?

Cracker

6 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

I don't think I made my point very well if this is what you got from it. I was responding to the opinion that Ewers is a nobody who has accomplished nothing.

Of course the examples I gave ended up being stars. And chances were taken on them at early ages, hoping they would become stars. There are others over the years who have not panned out, but companies got behind them at the onset just in case they did "live up to their potential." The bottom line is those who broke the age barriers of getting paid did not ruin their sports.

It's still a gamble for investors.

Moses Malone was deemed to be good enough to play in the pros by pro teams; pretty sure he didn't have endorsement deals before he was an established pro player.

Hinges plays an individual sport, very different from teams.

I don't know enough about Messi to comment. But, I'd be curious as to the team dynamics for teams he played for when he was a little bit older than 13, but not yet a pro.

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Exercising a freedom that could negatively impact the market that one hopes to capitalize in makes no sense.  Lol

Yet, people do it every day. People vote against their own self-interests, and cede power to others who don’t care about them. Hell, some loot and burn their own neighborhoods and then complain when businesses don’t come back. Unintended consequences are the realities of our economy. It’s always been this way….

10 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Amateur sports becoming worse is my prediction.  Of course,  it not necessarily happening is a possibility 

Marketing/endorsements won’t primarily come from national brands but from local or regional ones.  A kid does a few commercials for a dealership, restaurants, etc.  it can add up over time.  I would expect a lot of companies connected to universities will offer a lot of endorsements to attract recruits like they do now with under the table transactions.  It’s not always about the co. Bottomline 

my issue is that it changes the priority of athletes from playing the game and getting better at their craft to promoting themselves and making$$. They can make $$ in other ways besides endorsement deals, they can create their own merchandising market if they desire  

We're already seeing a few families here and there moving their kids to different states for what they perceive to be better playing opportunities. We might see more of this. A prospect in a h.s. football wasteland like upstate New York may realize that if he moves and makes a name for himself at a Florida or Texas powerhouse, he may be able to cash in regardless of whether he ends up having a college or pro playing career. A kid at a no-name program in a given city may realize that if he played for the big name program that has a huge fan base and/or plays on TV will be even more likely to transfer over than before. Groups of kids may dream up a "brand" based on something that's "fire" on tiktok and then vow to all play together at XYZ school. The kind of random ideas imaginable, that are destructive to actually running a program or team, are endless. 

1 hour ago, maxchoboian said:

What had Moses Malone accomplished prior to signing a professional contract at a younger age than what had been established in the past? Really good high school numbers?

He was good enough to be drafted in his sport and then won Rookie of the Year.

Quinn Ewers can't play even college football right now.

How much in endorsements did Martina Hingis get when she turned pro at 14 (endosements based on nothing more than the great promise she showed in her sport, much like Ewers has)? 

Martina Hingis, at the same age as Quinn Ewers, was one of the best female tennis players in the world.

Quinn Ewers is some high school kid who plays for a cul-de-sac team in Texas.

54 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Imagine some variation of this: Johnny FiveStars is a social media influencer. He "delivers great content" to his 2 million followers, who look forward to the entertaining videos he posts, including those with teammates live at practice . Johnny is only going to want to play for a team that allows him to film himself and "go live" during practices to appease his social media following. He makes this a point of negotiation during recruiting, or whatever it may be called in a few years. So more desperate coaches at lower level programs will allow this, and will become hip and trendy among social media influencer recruits. An Ole Miss ends up landing some mega recruits, and then a guy like Saban has to debate whether to allow players to use their cell phones at practice or not. Suddenly, the social media influencers on the team will be shaping the nature of the practices!

I thought about the exact same thing.

Being famous is now going to be the driving influence for these kids and there's no telling where the Instagram Live culture will take this next.

• Like 1

What had Moses Malone accomplished prior to signing a professional contract at a younger age than what had been established in the past? Really good high school numbers?

How much in endorsements did Martina Hingis get when she turned pro at 14 (endosements based on nothing more than the great promise she showed in her sport, much like Ewers has)? 

When Messi signed at 13, he played at the Barcelona youth academy, against other youngsters whose parents were paying for their kids to attend while Messi was not. I'm sure there are some who felt Messi was a nobody who had accomplished nothing. 

If companies are willing to pay athletes to endorse their products, so be it.

Jennifer Capriati would probably be a better young tennis player example. Hingis is Swiss or was at the time she became a professional Jenifer was an American phenom and a professional at the age of 13. She is also a prime example of the pit falls of to much to young.

10 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

He was good enough to be drafted in his sport and then won Rookie of the Year.

Quinn Ewers can't play college football right now.

Maybe he'd end up like Bill Willoughby, who didn't fare quite as well as Malone after being drafted out of high school. The fact is younger kids break contract barriers in all sports, and the consequences have not ruined the sports.

3 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Maybe he'd end up like Bill Willoughby, who didn't fare quite as well as Malone after being drafted out of high school. The fact is younger kids break contract barriers in all sports, and the consequences have not ruined the sports.

Again, he's not a professional signing a contract. He's a high school kid who has in no way demonstrated that he's actually good at anything.

• Haha 1

NFL has had and still has issues when rookies started sign for the big buck right away. Now we are talking about 17, 18  19 year old's catching a win fall and many of them with no idea how to handle that much money. "Street Agent" will take on a new meaning for these kids. I foresee a big mess for some of these kids and many of them will get hustled big time and end up with nothing because they won't stay in college and get their degree even more so than now

2 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Exercising a freedom that could negatively impact the market that one hopes to capitalize in makes no sense.  Lol

It makes 100% sense. Take what you can get, when you can get it. He might have an injury that ends his ability to capitalize in that market. Please crack open an economics book, at least for a brief moment. LOL!

8 minutes ago, OldTerrapin said:

Jennifer Capriati would probably be a better young tennis player example. Hingis is Swiss or was at the time she became a professional Jenifer was an American phenom and a professional at the age of 13. She is also a prime example of the pit falls of to much to young.

Sure, Capriati or Hingis. The point being young kids in numerous sports have played professionally and signed endorsement deals. Some panned out, and others didn't, but none were absolute nobodies who had accomplished nothing. Same with Ewer. It could be argued that accomplishing what he has in high school is comparable to what the other kids had as amateurs in their sports.

4 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

He was playing against the best basketball players in the world.

Quinn Ewers would be smoked playing against other high school kids.

I'm not following.

Willoughby, who signed out of high school, had been playing in high school against the best basketball players in the world?

And Ewers, who has excelled in high school, would be smoked playing against other high school kids?

That can't be what you meant.

7 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Sure, Capriati or Hingis. The point being young kids in numerous sports have played professionally and signed endorsement deals. Some panned out, and others didn't, but none were absolute nobodies who had accomplished nothing. Same with Ewer. It could be argued that accomplishing what he has in high school is comparable to what the other kids had as amateurs in their sports.

Jennifer Capriati was a top 10 player in the world at the age of 14.

Quinn Ewers throwing a lot of TD passes in an oopty-oop high school offense is not even equivalent to the worst teenage professional tennis player, ever.

If the highest level you've reached is getting blown out by Westlake High School then you probably shouldn't be signing endorsement deals.

2 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

I'm not following.

Willoughby, who signed out of high school, had been playing in high school against the best basketball players in the world?

And Ewers, who has excelled in high school, would be smoked playing against other high school kids?

That can't be what you meant.

He signed as a professional basketball player and played against the best in the world.

Quinn Ewers, right now, would shit his pants against other high school kids.

You're not seriously trying to compare what the two did, are you?

21 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Quinn Ewers is some high school kid who plays for a cul-de-sac team in Texas.

I imagine Finch would be a little less vocal in his objections if Quinn Ewers were at STA...that's a real no-brainer.

and,

STA can pick up 15-17 transfers this year and Finch thinks that's perfectly reasonable . BUT

Finch "Yes, kids will have more freedom of choice......and we'll develop more selfish, vain young adults who will lack self-awareness."

"We deserve the society we're getting. People more interested in fame, likes and retweets than important things like wisdom, knowledge, experience, etc."

1 minute ago, RedZone said:

I imagine Finch would be a little less vocal in his objections if Quinn Ewers were at STA...that's a real no-brainer.

You're wrong as usual.

But I love it when people immediately go to personal affiliations because they don't have an actual argument against what I'm saying.

RedZone does this all the time.

Ho-hum.

2 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Not a single sentient being would pay Quinn Ewers, right now, to play football.

He couldn't stay within two touchdowns of any borderline top high school in the country.

So your opinion is that Quinn Ewers is not very good, which is a different topic than whether or not high school football players should take money if they have the opportunity. And Ewers has that opportunity, apparently.

7 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

You're wrong as usual.

But I love it when people immediately go to personal affiliations because they don't have an actual argument against what I'm saying.

RedZone does this all the time.

Ho-hum.

There's NO ho-hum.

STA is looking out for #1-wants to win badly.......kids transferring to STA are looking out for #1-themselves.

Things are what they are. You playing morality police is pretty humorous though.

Me, I don't care enough about it one way of the other. It's out of my control. I stated my opinion a month ago.

Carry on

2 minutes ago, RedZone said:

STA can pick up 15-17 transfers this year and Finch thinks that's perfectly reasonable . BUT

Finch "Yes, kids will have more freedom of choice......and we'll develop more selfish, vain young adults who will lack self-awareness."

"We deserve the society we're getting. People more interested in fame, likes and retweets than important things like wisdom, knowledge, experience, etc."

RedZone being utterly incompetent and pathetic as usual.

I'm the least laudatory or ingratiating of anybody on this board when it comes to football transfers.

You're the one who props up these kids whenever you want to complain about a transfer.

I remember you whining about Colton Lynn. Don't remember him? Not surprising.

But because he transferred to STA in 2013 and played against John Curtis you went apeshit. Turns out I was right to dismiss his presence as a mere high school kid going to.....high school. Nothing more.

You never learn these lessons which is sad for how old you are.