Will America's No. 1 QB recruit Quinn Ewers give up 7-figure NIL offers for one more season of Texas high school football?

Cracker

9 hours ago, Horsefly said:

It’s still gonna ruin it, freedoms and all.  Lol

Of course a kid and his family should do what's best for them. As everybody should do.

But, you're right, that we often forget about the unintended consequences of these things.

Yes, kids will have more freedom of choice......and we'll develop more selfish, vain young adults who will lack self-awareness.

I guess we'll see where this experiment leads.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

12 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Fall camp starts in a week or so? I would imagine it would be difficult to miss at least a couple of weeks of fall camp to finish up the course he needs to graduate. I think it makes the most sense to play his senior year and show up in Columbus in January but skipping his senior year isn’t a “bad” move. The money will be there down the road. I feel for the team at Carroll. 

For real.

The kid can't wait 5 months to hock some crappy Kombucha? I can't believe his parents are even letting him consider this let alone advertise it to the public.

Our society is so lacking in basic common sense.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

46 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Of course a kid and his family should do what's best for them. As everybody should do.

But, you're right, that we often forget about the unintended consequences of these things.

Yes, kids will have more freedom of choice......and we'll develop more selfish, vain young adults who will lack self-awareness.

I guess we'll see where this experiment leads.

You know as much about the future young adults in this country as these redneck coke heads in Lake City know about growing for the future 

Who the fuck are you to assume you know anything about these kids? You don't coach any of them? You don't even volunteer for any youth program but you think you know everything about everyone

And you were in another thread saying how this board is full of liars?!!! Your the biggest one of them all you fucking imbecile

If my child was guaranteed $1M, I'd suggest skipping the senior year. Even if "the money will be there next year too", take it now and get a head start on earning, particularly if it's guaranteed.

Did someone like Moses Malone ruin basketball? Or Bryce Harper ruin baseball? Or Martina Hingis ruin tennis? Or Lionel Messi ruin soccer?

Things change, and the whole NIL thing is very significant. Our beloved football is experiencing new stuff. Getting kids paid at a younger age isn't a bad thing, and tough decisions need to be made by high school associations and individual families alike.

1 minute ago, maxchoboian said:

If my child was guaranteed $1M, I'd suggest skipping the senior year. Even if "the money will be there next year too", take it now and get a head start on earning, particularly if it's guaranteed.

Did someone like Moses Malone ruin basketball? Or Bryce Harper ruin baseball? Or Martina Hingis ruin tennis? Or Lionel Messi ruin soccer?

Things change, and the whole NIL thing is very significant. Our beloved football is experiencing new stuff. Getting kids paid at a younger age isn't a bad thing, and tough decisions need to be made by high school associations and individual families alike.

Those individuals made $$ from the professional sports. Paying amateur athletes creates a bigger divide among teams/schools with resources, it makes boosters and marketers more influential in the game plus it adds another carrot that can distract collegiate athletes from the main goal of winning on the field. (Making $$ will become the new priority for top lvl kids)

this is way different from anything we’ve seen before.  Folks may agree with it, and that’s fine but it will come at a cost 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

They were all  professionals playing against other professionals.

Quinn Ewers would be paid endorsements while either playing against high school-aged amateurs or sitting the bench against college-aged amateurs.

Quinn Ewers is literally a nobody who has accomplished nothing.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

(Making $$ will become the new priority for top lvl kids)

The incentives are now completely out of whack.

Before it was: Be good enough at this sport so someday you can get paid to play it.

Now it's: Be famous enough so now someone will pay you to hock their product on social media.

The idea that this change is a good thing is absurd.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Kids who have accomplished nothing getting paid a million dollars for endorsements is a bad thing.

Nobody celebrating this stuff is going to like the unintended consequences for society.

Have you seen YouTube and Instagram? Kids already get millions for accomplishing nothing with no talent 

2 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Have you seen YouTube and Instagram? Kids already get millions for accomplishing nothing with no talent 

And my point on that is the exact same as it is on this.

We deserve the society we're getting. People more interested in fame, likes and retweets than important things like wisdom, knowledge, experience, etc.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Quinn Ewers would be paid endorsements while either playing against high school-aged amateurs or sitting the bench against college-aged amateurs.

What had Moses Malone accomplished prior to signing a professional contract at a younger age than what had been established in the past? Really good high school numbers?

How much in endorsements did Martina Hingis get when she turned pro at 14 (endosements based on nothing more than the great promise she showed in her sport, much like Ewers has)? 

When Messi signed at 13, he played at the Barcelona youth academy, against other youngsters whose parents were paying for their kids to attend while Messi was not. I'm sure there are some who felt Messi was a nobody who had accomplished nothing. 

If companies are willing to pay athletes to endorse their products, so be it.

38 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

So are you but you think your special why?

31 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

This is where we have one last chance to keep NIL from destroying the game. A lot of businesses are gambling on kids they know nothing about. We know being a 5* QB going into the senior year of high school guarantees absolutely nothing. The entities paying him the money may not fully realize that, as most really only understand pro sports. They mistakenly assume that all of the money generated at lower levels just means it's the same as the pros. Of course it's not. A top draft choice into the NFL almost HAS to start by a certain point, as a purely business decision, and then being the starting QB has some value even if he's not very good. Nobody has to play Ewers a down! And any business shelling out big $ for a bench warmer and/or someone who transfers to Rice is not going to be happy. So, I think we're going to see a lot of businesses get burned by bad deals with players who amount to nobodies, and that will calm the market down. 

I do think there will always be the prospect of more "special interest" deals coming along from out of the blue. A player that may have some sort of connection to a particular industry who also happens to be a football prospect may have opportunities even if he's not an elite prospect.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

The incentives are now completely out of whack.

Before it was: Be good enough at this sport so someday you can get paid to play it.

Now it's: Be famous enough so now someone will pay you to hock their product on social media.

The idea that this change is a good thing is absurd.

A huge problem we've always faced as a society is that people setting policy often don't understand or consider incentives created or not created by the policy. Does the policy incentivize poor mothers to have more babies that she doesn't have the time or ability to properly care for? Etc

It does seem now that one's social media presence and persona will be the primary determinants of the money made. That's silly, but it would be fine, if not for the fact that it will amount to a clown sideshow for the actual team. Imagine some variation of this: Johnny FiveStars is a social media influencer. He "delivers great content" to his 2 million followers, who look forward to the entertaining videos he posts, including those with teammates live at practice . Johnny is only going to want to play for a team that allows him to film himself and "go live" during practices to appease his social media following. He makes this a point of negotiation during recruiting, or whatever it may be called in a few years. So more desperate coaches at lower level programs will allow this, and will become hip and trendy among social media influencer recruits. An Ole Miss ends up landing some mega recruits, and then a guy like Saban has to debate whether to allow players to use their cell phones at practice or not. Suddenly, the social media influencers on the team will be shaping the nature of the practices!

It certainly appears to be an impending disaster. I think schools will eventually just pull out all together. Those left will be left standing in a world that will be so different as to be unrecognizable to what we've known. The result will be many fans also drop out. And then the market beneath the professional level (assuming we even describe the years before the NFL as not being professional) collapses. And people will long for the way things were (are).

2 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Of course we will, for the worse.  

Not necessarily. I think badrouter's opinion below is likely. Companies won't just hand out cash to nobodies any more than they do now.

13 minutes ago, badrouter said:

I think we're going to see a lot of businesses get burned by bad deals with players who amount to nobodies, and that will calm the market down. 

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

What had Moses Malone accomplished prior to signing a professional contract at a younger age than what had been established in the past? Really good high school numbers?

How much in endorsements did Martina Hingis get when she turned pro at 14 (endosements based on nothing more than the great promise she showed in her sport, much like Ewers has)? 

When Messi signed at 13, he played at the Barcelona youth academy, against other youngsters whose parents were paying for their kids to attend while Messi was not. I'm sure there are some who felt Messi was a nobody who had accomplished nothing. 

If companies are willing to pay athletes to endore their products, so be it.

Those are bona fide stars. If you take a look at all of the 5* QBs over the last 10-20 years, you'll see a list of names that proved to be very hit or miss. Assuming Ewers is going to be the star those people were would be silly.

I think the best case scenario is that this ends up being a brief, "Wild West" moment in time where a lot of kids make crazy amounts of money, amount to nothing at the higher levels, piss off the corporate sponsors who then stop getting involved with student-athletes. Should be more than enough for a great "30 for 30".

6 minutes ago, badrouter said:

I think the best case scenario is that this ends up being a brief, "Wild West" moment in time where a lot of kids make crazy amounts of money, amount to nothing at the higher levels, piss off the corporate sponsors who then stop getting involved with student-athletes. Should be more than enough for a great "30 for 30".

It won't go away completely but companies may be more cautious with how much they invest and the market will start leaning towards bidding races once players become made commodities (like Trevor Lawrence was when he led Clemson to the national guard) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Those are bona fide stars. If you take a look at all of the 5* QBs over the last 10-20 years, you'll see a list of names that proved to be very hit or miss. Assuming Ewers is going to be the star those people were would be silly.

I don't think I made my point very well if this is what you got from it. I was responding to the opinion that Ewers is a nobody who has accomplished nothing.

Of course the examples I gave ended up being stars. And chances were taken on them at early ages, hoping they would become stars. There are others over the years who have not panned out, but companies got behind them at the onset just in case they did "live up to their potential." The bottom line is those who broke the age barriers of getting paid did not ruin their sports.

27 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Not necessarily. I think badrouter's opinion below is likely. Companies won't just hand out cash to nobodies any more than they do now.

Amateur sports becoming worse is my prediction.  Of course,  it not necessarily happening is a possibility 

Marketing/endorsements won’t primarily come from national brands but from local or regional ones.  A kid does a few commercials for a dealership, restaurants, etc.  it can add up over time.  I would expect a lot of companies connected to universities will offer a lot of endorsements to attract recruits like they do now with under the table transactions.  It’s not always about the co. Bottomline 

my issue is that it changes the priority of athletes from playing the game and getting better at their craft to promoting themselves and making$$. They can make $$ in other ways besides endorsement deals, they can create their own merchandising market if they desire  

• Like 1