What are your states high school associations rules on players transferring

Ga96

It's a mixed bag in Texas.

You have open enrollment districts and you have closed enrollment districts. Someone like Kaidon Salter was with 3 different teams altogether finishing at Cedar Hill.

You wanna see just how petty and chickenshit grown ass adults can be when it comes to kids being able to play sports, look no further than the UIL and their committees.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/uil-transfer-eligibility-appeals/

Read the whole thing if you want to see how pathetic Texas can be.

TLDR highlights:

Kennedy spent his senior year eligible only for junior varsity sports. But after the six-foot-four, 235-pound fullback/defensive end played his first JV game, Daingerfield’s three remaining opponents refused to play if Kennedy was going to be in uniform. He spent the rest of the season practicing and watching from the sideline.

“Within our district, I’ve seen almost every other kid that goes to a different school be approved, but anytime a kid tries to come to Daingerfield, they’re not approved. It’s almost like they just talk to each other—‘Well, Daingerfield’s good as it is. Let’s go ahead and, you know, make this decision so this kid can’t go there and [they] can’t get even better than what they are.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iletteredintrack said:

He was only ruled ineligible at all schools except Grayson. The Garcia family was not informed of all the rules before the move. 😝

Actually he was ruled eligible at any school *except* Valdosta.  They came to us after.  We did not contact them ahead of time.  He didn't feel welcome in S Ga from what I've been told.

5 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

It is called being careful checking everything. That way Garcia issues do not happen. The GHSA is lazy and allows the schools to do their job.  Fred you are used to this way GHSA does it because 99% of the time it helps Grayson. Alabama does it slow so it does prevent kids going from school to school like Georgia. Kids practicing in August for 1 school then transferring to another before the season starts is what this waiting time stops.  This lawlessness of Georgia always benefits Grayson is why you defend it.  GSHA is so screwed up it easy to blast them. Even NFHS thinks they are clueless.

Your pathological obsession with Grayson is scary at times.  You have no idea what the GHSA has done against Grayson.  I've got news for you.  Two months to get clearance isn't being careful it is horribly inefficient.  You just believe nothing can be done wrong in Alabama.  Go ahead and believe what you want.  Your obsession with Georgia blinds you to your own issues.  

5 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

That's the point the GHSA should be the first point of contact not the schools that way parents know the rules instead of what happened at Valdosta. 

You just don't get it.  He *did* talk to the GHSA before he ever talked with us.  Sheesh!

3 hours ago, Iletteredintrack said:

I disagree. The parents knew the rules in GA and tried to get around the system. 

You are wasting your electrons.  If there is the slightest opportunity to trash Georgia, he is going to take it.  If there's no opportunity, he will make one.

21 minutes ago, Fred said:

Actually he was ruled eligible at any school *except* Valdosta.  They came to us after.  We did not contact them ahead of time.  He didn't feel welcome in S Ga from what I've been told.

Interesting. I remember him saying something TOTALLY different on phil jones show. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Interesting. I remember him saying something TOTALLY different on phil jones show. 

Timing is everything.  He didn't feel welcome after the things that went down after the ineligibility ruling and when he was looking for a place to be able to play.

58 minutes ago, Fred said:

You are SOOO full of shit! Is THAT why Garcia STILL contacts friends that he made in Valdosta?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

I’m just making jokes 😂

Actually, transfers don’t always help the player or the team.  Take for instance Carter Freedland.  Rotates with one other QB his junior year and three way his senior year.  Factoring in the five league game blowouts each season where the first team is out early in the third quarter and one missed game due to sickness, the guy amassed the equivalent of only 8-9 games worth of reps out of 24 games over two years. I can’t help but think he would have been better served to go to a lower visibility program where he could have played a lot more.  We never got to know how good he could have been.

Hard also for the team to be consistent with QB’s rotating in and out.

For all his success, Logan manages QB’s only slightly better than kickers.

50 minutes ago, Old Rabid One said:

You are SOOO full of shit! Is THAT why Garcia STILL contacts friends that he made in Valdosta?

Well, you would be the expert on being full of it. 

There is a huge difference between having individual friends on the team or in the school vs being feeling persecuted by the other S Ga schools.

In Georgia its pretty much the same everywhere except private schools and open enrollment schools. 

The standard rule is you have to be a bona-fide move in. Within that schools district.  

I've heard this can be a bit more lenient in some larger areas for example Marietta which has multiple schools. 

I lived in Marietta for a short while (very short) but I was out of HS at that point so @Sweetlarry can correct me if I'm wrong. He would know more though considering he actually has a kid that attends the Cobb County schools or Marietta City schools. 

But the schools that serve Marietta are: 

Marietta HS (City) (Open Enrollment) 

Lassiter HS

Pope HS 

Wheeler HS 

Osborne HS 

Walton HS 

Sprayberry HS 

Kell HS 

3 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

In Georgia its pretty much the same everywhere except private schools and open enrollment schools. 

The standard rule is you have to be a bona-fide move in. Within that schools district.  

I've heard this can be a bit more lenient in some larger areas for example Marietta which has multiple schools. 

I lived in Marietta for a short while (very short) but I was out of HS at that point so @Sweetlarry can correct me if I'm wrong. He would know more though considering he actually has a kid that attends the Cobb County schools or Marietta City schools. 

But the schools that serve Marietta are: 

Marietta HS (City) (Open Enrollment) 

Lassiter HS

Pope HS 

Wheeler HS 

Osborne HS 

Walton HS 

Sprayberry HS 

Kell HS 

The rule is a bona fide move in, or start at said school on first day of Freshman year. 

While Marietta is open enrollment, it does nothing for kids coming in after their freshman year in sports. They still have to wait a year. Open enrollment means they pay $1500 a year to attend a Marietta City School. Nothing else. 

Many schools in Cobb (and I’d bet elsewhere) allow kids to come in at the beginning of their freshman year as OOD kids and participate immediately.

1 hour ago, Sweetlarry said:

The rule is a bona fide move in, or start at said school on first day of Freshman year. 

While Marietta is open enrollment, it does nothing for kids coming in after their freshman year in sports. They still have to wait a year. Open enrollment means they pay $1500 a year to attend a Marietta City School. Nothing else. 

Many schools in Cobb (and I’d bet elsewhere) allow kids to come in at the beginning of their freshman year as OOD kids and participate immediately.

So Marietta Open Enrollment is different from Bufords. 

I remember  the GPB crew dissected Bufords open enrollment rules thoroughly. 

I dint remember them mentioning a fee. 

But the Buford open enrollment:

1. Any student attending Buford HS under open enrollment must maintain a C average or higher

2. Must have reliable transportation as bus routes will not be altered for Open enrollment students outside the designated school zone. 

3. The school must first accommodate students within the School Zone first. 

44 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

So Marietta Open Enrollment is different from Bufords. 

I remember  the GPB crew dissected Bufords open enrollment rules thoroughly. 

I dint remember them mentioning a fee. 

But the Buford open enrollment:

1. Any student attending Buford HS under open enrollment must maintain a C average or higher

2. Must have reliable transportation as bus routes will not be altered for Open enrollment students outside the designated school zone. 

3. The school must first accommodate students within the School Zone first. 

I have no idea. I don’t know what Buford does. I only know what Marietta City Schools offers.