MD at DV on 8/27/21

GardenStateBaller

20 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

It's not surprising that your understanding of high school football, and De La Salle in particular, is so binary.

No QB is going to DLS and no QB who is starred in the Rivals database would make a significant difference in that offense.

4* Matt Gutierrez went to DLS

https://247sports.com/Player/Matt-Gutierrez-26733/high-school-43481/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

One guy in 40 years of the veer and he made such a difference that *checks notes* they didn't lose a game in the 7 years before he got there and the two years after.

Even last year's DLS QB was in the Rivals Database....

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/dorian-hale-257759

Who is the DLS QB this year, Finch? Like I said, I don't know...You obviously have the goods.

4 minutes ago, Ararar said:

I believe this kid is the future DLS QB

https://247sports.com/Player/Carson-Suesue-46099513/

You see, there you go.

That's good information and makes Finch look silly again...

The Senior QB for DLS is a Lacrosse player, so maybe they play both of those guys.....or Suesue is the man.

I don't know........I do know DLS knew who the guy was last year headed into the season.

6 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

They didn't fail to make those throws because of the QB. Every throw in the DLS offense is simple. The offense is the issue here.

Of course it was the QB and not the offense.  It wasn't the play call and much of those misses were to open receivers.  These are 3 step drop backs and quick roll outs to quick outs and are the easiest throws to make.  Is there any offense that doesn't have these type of plays?  The ability to execute is what determines how much they open up the playbook.  The last game against MD showed the offense opening up.  

7 hours ago, Gametyme said:

That might make to much sense. Doubt he can follow the logic.

He can follow but I think he is more stubborn.  Or he can't envision that a veer type offense doesn't have the ability to open it up and throw more if they had a QB that was able to do so.  I can't envision his not envisioning this.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, World Citizen said:

He can follow but I think he is more stubborn.  Or he can't envision that a veer type offense doesn't have the ability to open it up and throw more if they had a QB that was able to do so.  I can't envision his not envisioning this.

Yes, I understand DLS and high school football and stubbornly won't accede to your silly claims about the veer.

On 7/10/2021 at 10:37 AM, Atticus Finch said:

But nobody that's a starred recruit as a pocket passer is going to attend De La Salle or would make a difference running the veer if they did.

But, quite obviously, being a "starred recruit as a pocket passer" is far from the only possible way to effectively play QB. Just because a staff doesn't elect to try to emulate the NFL's vision of what QB play should look like doesn't mean who they have at QB doesn't matter. Lakeland is 6-2 in the playoffs vs. STA, and they've never had a "starred recruit as a pocket passer" in any of those games. Lewis Grier, Johnny Jones, Chris Griffin, Billy Lowe and Dymonski McWilliams all made significant plays at QB to help Lakeland win those games. Only Blair Castle was so limited as to be irrelevant.

24 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Lakeland is 6-2 in the playoffs vs. STA, and they've never had a "starred recruit as a pocket passer" in any of those games. Lewis Grier, Johnny Jones, Chris Griffin, Billy Lowe and Dymonski McWilliams all made significant plays at QB to help Lakeland win those games. Only Blair Castle was so limited as to be irrelevant.

A starred pocket passer wouldn't help Lakeland either.

So you're making my point for me.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:15 PM, World Citizen said:

Of course it was the QB and not the offense.  It wasn't the play call and much of those misses were to open receivers.  These are 3 step drop backs and quick roll outs to quick outs and are the easiest throws to make.  Is there any offense that doesn't have these type of plays?  The ability to execute is what determines how much they open up the playbook.  The last game against MD showed the offense opening up.  

Totally Agree The QB makes a Huge Difference in the veer….

1. Anthony Sweeney- Multiple state championships, Great runner and accurate passer…

2. Hale- A talented player with passing ability, he had DLS in the 2018 Game against MD by hitting the passes you talk about…. They were missing one of the Top 2 players the state for that game and still had their chances…. In 2019 Hale had DLS on the 1 yard line ready to tie the game at 35 when DLS fumbled the ball going into the End Zone… They also had a TD on a Screen pass called back on a bogus holding call…. He moved the ball by hitting 17 passes in that game…

Conversely , against STA Hale only Completed 9 passes and Missed 2 wide open screen passes, one to Garrett and another to Hearns that would have gone for TD’s….

In 2016 and 2017 DLS had a Safety playing QB who couldn’t pass… They got Blasted by BG and were not Competitive against MD and SJB….

In the new era of HSFB QB is a Very important position in the Veer, you have to be a true dual threat… If you don’t have this to run the types of plays you are talking about then these super teams can just load the box with their great linemen and linebackers and stuff the run….

Just like STA did after Garrett burned them on the first play of the game…. STA’s safety’s we’re not playing more then 6 or 7 yards off the LOS and Challenging Hale to throw and he couldn’t complete anything….

This year we should see the “Y Pop” come back which has always been a staple of their offense…. They have 2 D1 level TE’s both are Big and Fast, that play has been absent the last few years and has always been a big play in the Veer offense for DLS….

On 7/12/2021 at 9:44 AM, Atticus Finch said:

It would help to actually read this thread and understand the context before vomiting takes all over the place.

That’s an awfully high demand of someone, given that the overwhelming majority of the thread is entirely off-topic with petty insults and the like.

• Like 2