IMG has a new head coach

Las Vegas_JC

8 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Jones is no pushover as they are probably top 15-20 team in FL at this stage 

But AHP game is a KOC (preseason)

Re: Jones yes I remember that they gave 2016 Cocoa all that they could handle that year. Twice. And that was definitely one of Cocoa’s best teams ever. But IMG is usually on another level and will probably roll Jones. 

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

As I've said before, sammy is a moron.

The last guy was a nobody from a small college that had no high school experience whatsoever.

Pepper Johnson has coached in the NFL, mostly under Bill Belichick.

But apparently because he played in the NFL as well he must not know what he's doing.

We can't make assumptions about everyone, but the smart bet is a former NFL player is not going to be nearly as invested in building the program, developing players, scouting opponents and developing game plans. Now, maybe he can get some excellent coordinators and position coaches that do the heavy lifting there. But, generally, the head ball coach is too important in high school to leave the hard stuff to assistants. Of course, Johnson could be an outlier and really be "all-in" on being a high school coach. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, badrouter said:

We can't make assumptions about everyone, but the smart bet is a former NFL player is not going to be nearly as invested in building the program, developing players, scouting opponents and developing game plans. Now, maybe he can get some excellent coordinators and position coaches that do the heavy lifting there. But, generally, the head ball coach is too important in high school to leave the hard stuff to assistants. Of course, Johnson could be an outlier and really be "all-in" on being a high school coach. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

And just why is that?

2 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

I agree that coaching is the number one element that will determine wether a program is successful or not. Especially at the HS and at the NCAA levels. 

I don’t know much about Peppers’ head coaching experience. Who knows he might fit right in with that IMG environment? 

PJ was promoted. He was already on the staff. His D held DV to 14 points last season. IMG is 60-3 since program inception even with the three HC changes. 

36 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

And just why is that?

I’ve never been a head coach. But, I can say with confidence that the position involves a lot of “dirty work”. Even at IMG. You don’t have anywhere near the support staff that you have in the NFL or college.  You’re still managing teenagers. Scouting opponents at the high school level is not easy, nor is it just like scouting the pros. It’s easier for teams to conceal weaknesses etc at the prep level. There’s a wider variety of schemes. Preparing a game plan, whether you’ve scouted well or not is not easy work.  A lot of “little” tasks that are handled by staff at the higher levels end up in the lap of the head coach. And if he deflects those things, bad things happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, badrouter said:

I’ve never been a head coach. But, I can say with confidence that the position involves a lot of “dirty work”. Even at IMG. You don’t have anywhere near the support staff that you have in the NFL or college.  You’re still managing teenagers. Scouting opponents at the high school level is not easy, nor is it just like scouting the pros. It’s easier for teams to conceal weaknesses etc at the prep level. There’s a wider variety of schemes. Preparing a game plan, whether you’ve scouted well or not is not easy work.  A lot of “little” tasks that are handled by staff at the higher levels end up in the lap of the head coach. And if he deflects those things, bad things happen.

Guess it depends on the coach and their experiences

We have a former NFL player as a head coach but yet he is very active in day to day operations and basically runs the offensive meeting room and film days(at least he did when I was out there as he also holds OC responsibilities) 

I think the fact he played under coaches like Bobby Bowden at FSU and then Mike Martz and John Fox in the NFL he probably learned a thing or two about being a coach and being in the playoffs every year is a sign of that especially at a public school that many on here blindly claim has no talent

4 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Though in terms of pepper Johnson he wasn't a head coach before, he was an assistant coach so he would have been delegated a lot of those tasks not the other way around

I still see him as the best coach IMG has ever had 

2 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

That was the finals of our first national tournament on here 

Bishop Gorman would have won 

Probably. Follow me on this one:

I think everyone in here would agree that Aquinas shoulda beat Gorman. But was Aquinas necessarily the better team? And do you think Aquinas woulda beat IMG that year? 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Probably. Follow me on this one:

I think everyone in here would agree that Aquinas shoulda beat Gorman. But was Aquinas necessarily the better team? And do you think Aquinas woulda beat IMG that year? 

Honestly I do think STA would have beaten IMG in 2015 or 2016 had they played 

3 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

If they are so great then why did it take CA and MD not having a fall season for IMG to finally win a national title? 

Apparently You think great coaching is taking a team that on paper would be a top 10 recruiting class in FBS football to an undefeated season, if a team that loaded lost more than a single game I would think he was high as a fucking kite on gameday 

Boom.

8 minutes ago, Ga96 said:

What about columbia? Not even top 100 in FL.

I would like to see you even try to name 50 schools in Florida without looking it up and actually spell them correctly, much less 100 

You couldn't name 100 teams in Florida better historically or this upcoming season than Columbia and if this is the best comeback you got then it's pathetic on another level 

3 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

While STA is a great program, it confuses me how they seem to catch a lot of hell from public schools (Booker T, Centennial, Miami Central, Miramar, etc.)

You listed centennial who they played once instead of DFB? 

My guess is that most those SFL publics don't see STA as being unbeatable and Usually these SFL teams while not always national recognized like STA seem to come to play when they line up with STA

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ga96 said:

What about columbia? Not even top 100 in FL.

Feel free to try to do both of those options without exposing yourself for being a total jackass, If that's something you can even stumble around to pull it off 

6 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I would like to see you even try to name 50 schools in Florida without looking it up and actually spell them correctly, much less 100 

You couldn't name 100 teams in Florida better historically or this upcoming season than Columbia and if this is the best comeback you got then it's pathetic on another level